PDA

View Full Version : join the revolution! sign the petition for a new manipulator option

Layer01
12-22-2005, 02:16 AM
There has recently been a lot of talk about wanting an alternative to the edit sphere, and people have been voting and posting and whatnot, but i thought seeing as the issue is obviously not going to just go away, I'd make a petition which people can sign and then it can be sent to pmG and maybe then it will be noticed.

Here is the link to the petition:

http://new.petitiononline.com/Pmessiah/petition.html

if you want to try and get the manipulator changed or as it is stated in the petition, an alternative introduced, then now is your time to speak up...or forever hold your silence ;)

we can but try :deal:

Edit: i tried to make the petition precise and to the point, and hopefully i understood the "General Consensus". If not please inform me and i will amend the petition.

daviddrbal
12-22-2005, 09:40 AM
I quess its a simple work to have that done ..) if you can do it also with armatures ( but only for one specific target I think, but also armatures do not follow 3d space )

I signed

SpikeWorx
12-23-2005, 11:34 AM
I quess its a simple work to have that done ..)
Even Blender has gotten a new manipulator.....:p

fwtep
12-23-2005, 04:54 PM
Um, I don't know how many times I've said it here, but there WILL be changes to the manipulator. Plus, I don't recall ever writing "too bad, it's staying the way it is."

Fred

SpikeWorx
12-23-2005, 07:31 PM
Um, I don't know how many times I've said it here, but there WILL be changes to the manipulator.
:bounce::love::D ;)

Layer01
12-24-2005, 04:00 AM
Um, I don't know how many times I've said it here, but there WILL be changes to the manipulator. Plus, I don't recall ever writing "too bad, it's staying the way it is."

Fred

awesome! i hadn't heard that..and seems others hadn't either lol.
well thats good new anyway :thumbsup:

crossbones
12-27-2005, 08:49 AM
I really want to know what's wrong with the edit sphere? I used it in production and it never came up as a problem.

daviddrbal
12-27-2005, 08:59 AM
I really want to know what's wrong with the edit sphere? I used it in production and it never came up as a problem.

Nothing is so wrong, I just feel like in times when I used Mac and PC. Mac in work PC at home. I pressed CTRL on mac instead of apple key many times. I just wish have a same manipulators like in other 3d soft I work with (XSI, Lightwave).

shadowfork
12-28-2005, 06:55 AM
There is a God!!! Woo hoo! That's great news!

Maybe for some of you, the edit sphere works. Fair enough.

But for the rest of us, we love our standard 3d gizmo :thumbsup:

I always feel I'm in 'rotate' mode with that thing. And it consumes a micro-second of my time to look for the proper axis (its sometimes in the front, sometimes at the back, the sides... always have to double check where the heck it is).

Its easy when jumping from app to app like what dreamtalks mentioned.

Anyway, having this option will be very good.

Now about those gimbal locks... LOL :D

crossbones
12-28-2005, 11:37 AM
I sign a petition not to change. Its the most efficent thing I ever used, remember your talking to a guy who used MAx for years and hated it. In messiah I got everything I need when and where I need it. If they change it to suite you guys, then what about us guys who like it.

daviddrbal
12-28-2005, 11:48 AM
I sign a petition not to change. Its the most efficent thing I ever used, remember your talking to a guy who used MAx for years and hated it. In messiah I got everything I need when and where I need it. If they change it to suite you guys, then what about us guys who like it.

I think I talk for all, that there is no need replace current widget, just add another option lets say in preferences to keep the same way as it works in other apps.
That way you come in peace to all, those who love Messiah widget and those who looking for similar like other 3d apps has

stooch
12-28-2005, 02:41 PM
yeah, i notice that it takes a bit to get reacquainted with the gizmo every time i switch from different apps. It should be a bit more seamless imo, definitelly not the first priority for me though.

shadowfork
12-28-2005, 05:01 PM

I think Fred clearly stated that there WILL be changes on the gizmo (assuming we'll have the option to use the standard one like the other apps use...) but I don't think they'll STOP supporting your beloved Edit Sphere. I think pmG will try to please both sides. So don't think its going away anytime soon :)

Cheers

-SF

Nichod
12-29-2005, 11:16 AM
This is good news. That is on my wishlist of things I wish were different.

Chewey
01-01-2006, 03:57 PM
Having a choice of manipulators would be very welcome.:)

Layer01
01-02-2006, 02:11 AM

if you want to try and get the manipulator changed or as it is stated in the petition, an alternative introduced

an alternative, not a replacment.
read the post before you freak out ;) we are with you...not against you :beer:.

Lino Grandi
06-02-2006, 12:25 PM
I think that an alternative to the messiah manipulator should be available.
We're starting a very big project, and I'm going to "convert" a lot of animators to Messiah.
I already heard them asking for something more like Lightwave/XSI/Maya like as a translation/rotation/scaling tool.

Pleeeeeeaaaaase.....do something!

biliousfrog
06-02-2006, 01:06 PM
cool, I thought that it was just me.

That edit sphere drives me nuts...PMG need to realise that some things are the way they are for a reason, I'm all for change & better ways of working but sometimes it feels like messiah has things just to be different.....every time that I use it, I rotate when I want to move or vice versa....:banghead: .....why not have scaling on it too, then you would have 9 handles all within easy reach?

sorry to rant, I'm sure that some people will prefer the sphere but a "normal" alternative would be very much appreciated

ThomasHelzle
06-02-2006, 01:47 PM
Well, getting rid of the whole Editsphere and replacing it with standard manipulators for move, rotate and scale with shortcut keys that can be pressed temporarily or locked would take messiah a long way towards better workflow and compliance with other apps.
I don't have any other software where basic manipulation is such a pain.
Especially the camera navigation drives me crazy when I come from XSI.

6 years are enough! :banghead:
Stop the torture! :cry:

Thank you very much. :thumbsup:
And no, I will not apologize for the rant. :p

Cheers,

Wegg
06-02-2006, 02:56 PM
They only just updated the edit sphere. AFTER this petition was started. Ya goober. . .

pmG listened to a lot of our suggestions. . . INCLUDING long lists from everyone and more than a few mocked up images of more standard gizmos as you described and decided on what we have now. Kind of a blending of the old with a smattering of things that make it more natural and intuitive.

Sheesh. Give them a break! Lets get the pitchforks out for things we REALLY need.

biliousfrog
06-02-2006, 05:11 PM
really?...it's changed?...damn. Can we have some OpenGL improvements then please, my interface hasn't refreshed since 2.1.

Wegg
06-02-2006, 05:14 PM
Ok well. . . I don't believe that has anything to do with the topic so I'll just close this thread down for now. There is already a really big involved thread going with Taron's interraction and lots of really great "wish lists" and feedback from pmG. I'd suggest you hop onto that one.