PDA

View Full Version : NEXT GEN: The Best Japanese Games of 2005

RobertoOrtiz
12-21-2005, 10:42 PM
QUOTE:
"Next Generation picks the ten best games released in Japan this year, offering an insight into the state of contemporary game-creation. You really don't want to miss this..."

>>Link<< (http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1921&Itemid=2)
-R

monsterboy
12-22-2005, 11:14 AM
That's an interesting list. Amazing to see the difference in tastes in Japan compared to the US or UK. Not a single FPS, sports franchise or war strategy game. I've heard nothing but praise for Bumpy Trot on various blogs, so when the localized 'Steambot Chronicles' comes out I'll be getting it for sure.:thumbsup:

Teyon
12-22-2005, 01:50 PM
I despise FPS and War Games. I can stomach the odd strategy game though. Always knew my tastes skewed more asian. lol. There are some neat games in the list, hope they get ported to the US market but I doubt it.

Sagii
12-22-2005, 02:17 PM
Oh, I have their #3 Wanda to Kyozou (aka Shadow of the Colossus) ... awesome unique gameplay game :D

Layer01
12-22-2005, 02:25 PM
these sort of lists always get my adrenalin pumping, i get all excited and think "wow i didn't even know these games existed!" and then i realise "oh wait...they dont over here" :banghead:
by that time though i've already opened up the EB store page and ebay to see if i can find copies...and have already been bombarded with the depressing slew of the usual suspects always the same...just a different name and better gfx. "buy now! Total war 8 or get it Hot fire pit alpha 4!" :cry: why are they all the same!! whhyyyyyy!

i really hope that the majority of those games make it to our closed minded shores. i despair at the thought of the countless classics we are missing out on.

PhilOsirus
12-23-2005, 01:31 AM
That Ikusagami game should have been released here. Apparently it's a good game and the idea of being able to fight 65,535 enemies, with thousands on screen at once, on the PS2 platform(!!), is mind blowing.

Oh and I'm definitly getting Rogue Galaxy (if it comes out here), I need a good RPG, and Steambot Chronicles (Bumpy Trot).

Balusilustalu
12-24-2005, 09:10 PM
Not a single FPS, sports franchise or war strategy game.

That alone makes the Japanese games industry far more interesting to me than the western one. The western industry is lacking so much originality these days it's not even funny. :hmm:

Hooray for Senko no Ronde (http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1921&Itemid=2&limit=1&limitstart=4). I hope G.rev stick to it's initial "promise" and do a DreamCast port also. Saves me from having to buy the PCB (X360 being a no-go area :p )

iliketheska
12-24-2005, 09:40 PM
I think people sometimes forget that for every amazing Japanese game out there there are ten completely boring, banal and shoddy ones. The UK and US aren't exposed to these games because, well, they suck. Japan puts out some amazing games, yes, but it's not the utopia a lot make it out to be. But that's just my $.02.

Array
12-25-2005, 12:29 AM
I think people sometimes forget that for every amazing Japanese game out there there are ten completely boring, banal and shoddy ones. The UK and US aren't exposed to these games because, well, they suck. Japan puts out some amazing games, yes, but it's not the utopia a lot make it out to be. But that's just my $.02.

I swear I've read that somewhere before....word for word. It's like deja vu!

How about all of those "completely boring, banal and shoddy" games we get here in the US? Deer Hunter anyone?

iliketheska
12-25-2005, 01:45 AM
Oh yeah, totally. There's tons of crappy western games for sure. But it kinda goes both ways, we don't see their terrible terrible games, they don't see Deer Hunter, haha.
And I probably subconsiously ripped off some game journalists rant with my prior post or something, hah.
But anyway, hurray for good games wherever they come from! And boo on the lame ones.

CGTalk Moderation
12-25-2005, 01:45 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.