PDA

View Full Version : accelerating combustion...

vertigo
11-25-2002, 09:54 PM
Hi!

Combustion is somwhow very slow with depicting previews, although the machine combustion is on has more than 640 MB RAM. It seems, that combustion uses only about 25 MB. That's ridiculous! :rolleyes:

Are there any possibilities in accelerating combustion?

Thank you in advance!

vertigo

phatgroovn
11-26-2002, 04:18 AM
How fast is your processor(s)? These play the biggest part in viewport feedback, especially if you're only tach'ing 25 megs.

Fede
11-26-2002, 08:15 AM
Hey

First of all is your RAM OK?

Second of all are you running a propper OPEN GL card because that would make more difference than the processor in the viewports, the processor will help when rendering.

Look under prefences and uncheck it to use OPEN Gl if you do have an opengl card else it will use it in software mode.

For supported card check the discreet site under the C* section.

Still under preferences check the amount of caching allocated, you might need to bump that up.

In your comp under settings > render effects turn off shading, shadows, reflection.

If you have particles in your comp you will need an open gl card, if not, turn off the preview or/and set the fps to 40

See if that helps.

Later

vertigo
11-26-2002, 10:34 AM
Hi!

Thank you for the quick answers!!!

Well I work on a 800 MHz Pentium 3. The funny thing is that 3ds max on the same PC has no such problems (OpenGL, etc.). So I just unchecked the OpenGL settings in the preferences menu and combustion is feeling a little bit better... :buttrock:

So, thanks!!! :beer:

Greets

vertigo

lando
11-26-2002, 07:18 PM
Hey you can also control how much ram Combustion uses for it's cache size.... you can change this is the preferences...

vertigo
11-26-2002, 07:52 PM
Thank you lando!

I just entered a new number into the cache usage: 85 %. I think that's a normal value :rolleyes: (???)

At least now combustion's workflow can be felt :)

Greets

vertigo

lando
11-26-2002, 08:31 PM
actually I would turn it up to 100%.... in old combustion if you did that it would crash your cpu becuase it was actually using all the ram... but now 100% is actually 70%.... yeah it's kinda crazy
hope this helps

vertigo
11-26-2002, 08:57 PM
WOW!!!

To 100%? I hope my OS would have enough resources for living :cool:

I'll try!

Thanks!

Greets

vertigo

phatgroovn
11-26-2002, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by Fede
Hey

First of all is your RAM OK?

Second of all are you running a propper OPEN GL card because that would make more difference than the processor in the viewports, the processor will help when rendering.

Actually the OGL card only can offload a few options, such as the particles and transforming footage around (as well as RAM player playback). Things like transfer modes and blurs are all computed by the CPU when generating viewport previews.

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 11:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.