PDA

View Full Version : Our New Flash Site!!!

Meaty
11-25-2002, 06:56 PM
Hi folks, this is the new multimedia site for MTSI (the military engineering firm I work for)

http://www.mtsi-va.com/mediasite/index.html

We specialize in 3D simulation to bring to life otherwise boring engineering concepts and presentations. The presidents of MTSI believe in the great value of visualization to facilitate communication in complicated engineering briefings. On the site you will find a sampling of some of the stuff we have done. We proudly use three seats of Lightwave!

As always, feedback welcome!

Qucktime required and of course Flash!.

proton
11-25-2002, 07:34 PM
Very interesting LightWave work...I would love to hear more about it....

Meaty
11-25-2002, 11:16 PM
hiya proton,

(this is chris_m from the newtek forums btw)

Our primary role is as a support team. I think there are something like 70 engineers who work at MTSI and a four man graphics team. Our real value as a media department is our combination of jack of all trades ability, speed, and knowledge of defense systems. Typically, engineering results are output in spreadsheets and graphs and things that can be tedious and confusing to look at, especially for the general who is making the decisions (who might not have an advanced degree in physics), so we make the animations and 3D graphics to visualize concepts that might not be so easy to understand. Also, simply making something look nice aids in 'selling' a concept, the same way ugly cars with the best features on the planet don't get purchased.

One of our unique abilities is to parse our engineer's data into lightwave itself, and we do this on a globally accurate scale. We have our own special Earth object. The engineering data outputs usually about 1800 lines of XYZ's and we figured out a way to get that data into Lightwave's .mot file format, and it goes right into lightwave so that it sits accuratly on the Earth such that we can show the concepts in an attractive manner. For example, the second animation in the animation section on our page shows a threat missle launched out of a threat country towards the nearest U.S. extremity, and the animation depicts a simplfied example of one fire control decision making process.

Not as glamerous as working at Digital Domain, Square, or ILM, but it is fun! This december we will be working on a bunch of unclassified animations that will allow us to blow some stuff up, in Lightwave of course!!! :beer: hehehe.... so stay tuned!!

proton
11-25-2002, 11:41 PM
very cool...please keep me posted on your projects..

williamv@newtek.com

Meaty
11-26-2002, 12:09 AM
you can count on it, thanks for the interest

[msf]
11-26-2002, 09:12 PM
Well I have one big crit for the site the load time is AWFUL. I dont mean to be brutal or anything but the preload takes way to long. A big thing to keep in mind is there are still people on 56k and most wont wait out a load like that. You should try and compress the site and not preload as much. If you want any advice on how to effectively speed up load times feel free to email me. I havnt done much flash work recently but I am very good at keeping load times to a minimum.

here a small example of my flash work. Done right when flash MX was released.
http://www.fostermotor.com

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 10:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.