PDA

View Full Version : Artist Appeals Against ‘Ice Age’ Lawsuit

RobertoOrtiz
12-21-2005, 06:30 AM
Quote:
"HOLLYWOOD - Publicist Ivy 'Supersonic' Silberstein is continuing to fight her corner in the battle with movie company Fox, to prove she created the 'Scrat'--the half-squirrel, half-rat, who stars in the Ice Age movies.
http://images.hollywood.com/site/spacer.gif
In anticipation of Ice Age 2 (http://www.hollywood.com/movies/detail/id/3464132), Silberstein, whose 2002 law suit for copyright infringement was overturned, has plastered posters all over New York City and Los Angeles, urging allies to visit her Web site www.scrat.com.

She has also taken her campaign to the skies after chartering a plane to fly a poster of her wearing nothing but a G-string, to show off her Scrat tattoo-adorned body."

>>LINK<< (http://www.hollywood.com/news/detail/id/3472399)

-R

Per-Anders
12-21-2005, 07:03 AM
Can anyone spell "ATTENTION WHORE!"?

Looks like she's carved from the same void as Yoko Oh-No I didn't split the Beatles and turn John Lennon into a bipolar sociophobe.

On second thoughts maybe she's got more in common with Tracy Emin'an'out

LFGabel
12-21-2005, 07:23 AM
Hmm. Last time I checked, copyright does not protect an idea, only the original execution of an idea. Copyright doesn't protect the idea of combining two animals to get a new one (Jackalope anyone?). Only a patent would do that.

I took a look at her gallery. I see no resemblance of her character to the one in Ice Age, other than the fact that the name "Scrat" sounds the same as "Sqrat". When I saw Ice Age, I didn't even consider that "Scrat" was part rat. He seemed all neurotic squirrel to me.

Sounds like an unfortunate character name choice, mixed with a case of sour grapes.

Ollarin
12-21-2005, 07:24 AM
Dang. Everyone is sue'ing companies for such trivial things like "OMG! I thought of a monkey, and Peter Jackson stole my idea!".

Very sad to see such things. :/

ntmonkey
12-21-2005, 07:30 AM
That's one "classy" gal. Sheesh. Looks like someone attacked her with a box of crayons.

peace,

Lu

Nichod
12-21-2005, 07:47 AM
I took a look at her gallery. I see no resemblance of her character to the one in Ice Age, other than the fact that the name "Scrat" sounds the same as "Sqrat". When I saw Ice Age, I didn't even consider that "Scrat" was part rat. He seemed all neurotic squirrel to me. I'd have to agree. I see no resemblance to her character at all.

fabman
12-21-2005, 10:11 AM
I totally agree too, no resemblance with sqrat... I mean... scrat, she looks like she's on drugs though....

jscheel
12-21-2005, 12:28 PM
She's full of sqrap. Uh oh, oops! Has anyone thought of combining the words squirrel and crap? Maybe I should get a patent. Or maybe I should tattoo pictures of crap all over my body and paste posters of it up all over Nashville. Hmm, any ideas?

mummey
12-21-2005, 12:40 PM
I totally agree too, no resemblance with sqrat... I mean... scrat, she looks like she's on drugs though....

Quoted for agreement. Though I'm not going to assume that she's been involved in extra-curricular activities,

the article points out that she's a friend of Tommy Lee (that by itself raises suspicions but proves nothing)

the pictures of her in a g-string show she is very thin but yet shows little muscle definition; this is usually an obvious sign of some form of stimulant use.

Dennik
12-21-2005, 12:54 PM
Oh not again!!! Hasn't she learned anything from the french dude and Nemo?

Dennik
12-21-2005, 12:58 PM
She's full of sqrap. Uh oh, oops! Has anyone thought of combining the words squirrel and crap? Maybe I should get a patent. Or maybe I should tattoo pictures of crap all over my body and paste posters of it up all over Nashville. Hmm, any ideas?

Nahh, no major studio made a movie out of that yet. Better wait in the shadows until they do, before you file your lawsuit. :D

AmbiDextrose
12-21-2005, 01:03 PM
the pictures of her in a g-string show she is very thin but yet shows little muscle definition; this is usually an obvious sign of some form of stimulant use.

Or she could be just one of those people who's naturally "squrawny" :D.

SaucyJack
12-21-2005, 02:05 PM
I invented 'Breathing' around ten years ago and haven't seen a single penny from it. People said to me that it would never catch on and now everbody's doing it.

You all owe me money and you know it.

RobertoOrtiz
12-21-2005, 03:09 PM
Quote from her site:

"How can a small girl fight the BIG GUNS who take whatever they want?

Press Release (http://scrat.com/pr.html) - The story: CNN Report (Video) (http://www.ivysupersonic.com/ivid/cnnsqrat.shtml)

Postcards, Posters, Trucks, Planes, & a billboard ! ? (http://sqrat.net/gallery/scratcom) "

-R

Dennik
12-21-2005, 03:30 PM
Quote from her site:

"How can a small girl fight the BIG GUNS who take whatever they want?

Press Release (http://scrat.com/pr.html) - The story: CNN Report (Video) (http://www.ivysupersonic.com/ivid/cnnsqrat.shtml)

Postcards, Posters, Trucks, Planes, & a billboard ! ? (http://sqrat.net/gallery/scratcom) "

-R

Its a she?

FloydBishop
12-21-2005, 03:56 PM
http://sqrat.net/gallery/albums/scratcom/ivybillion.sized.jpg

I'm sure she has no issues with "borrowing" the design of US currency.

I thought they settled this whole thing out of court anyhow?

CupOWonton
12-21-2005, 04:03 PM
Oh sure, the already RICH artists get to complain about getting 'supposedly' ripped off.

But when Amy Brown steals/traces other peoples work, and sells it through retailers like HOT-TOPIC, no one makes a big fuss over it. Shes made her living ripping off other peoples art without ever recognising them in any way in credits.:curious:

richcz3
12-21-2005, 04:20 PM
That has got to be the most self absorbed web sites I have seen in a long while.
Scrat, Sqrat, or whatever her contention is a puny excuse of a vehicle for her to brand her own image on everything.

If someone directed me to that site without telling me what its purported purpose was for, I would be hard pressed to say that "Sqrat" was the main focus. Attention whore pretty much nails it and by being one she is undermining her own supposed crusade.

RockinAkin
12-21-2005, 04:41 PM
The fact that I couldn't even FIND the cartoon character in question on that (obnoxious) website kinda says something doesn't it?

Scrat will forever be remembered from Ice Age.

hiphopcr
12-21-2005, 05:03 PM
I invented 'Breathing' around ten years ago and haven't seen a single penny from it. People said to me that it would never catch on and now everbody's doing it.

You all owe me money and you know it.

I've been doing breathing for 23 years, YOU owe me!

CupOWonton
12-21-2005, 05:20 PM
I invented the human reproductive system in my original life as the creator of the cosmos. People wouldnt EXIST, or have fun in bed, without that, where's my money?

LFGabel
12-21-2005, 05:22 PM
The fact that I couldn't even FIND the cartoon character in question on that (obnoxious) website kinda says something doesn't it?
Exactly. It looks like she has issues with someone using the idea of merging the spelling of two animals into a new animal. Sorry, but you can't copyright an idea. Who's to know the origin of Fox naming the squirrel "Scrat"? Squirrel + Rat? Maybe. Shortened form of "Scratch"? Maybe... Something else? More than likely.

helicopterr
12-21-2005, 05:42 PM
This is what modern art schools does to people. To her credit, at least she can draw.

UrbanFuturistic
12-21-2005, 05:49 PM
I invented the human reproductive system in my original life as the creator of the cosmos. People wouldnt EXIST, or have fun in bed, without that, where's my money?I could have plenty of fun in bed, especially if I get the book I want for Christmas :D

...and yes, attention whore does pretty much sum up this whole debacle.

regards, Paul (opinion whore)

timkallok
12-21-2005, 07:19 PM
Wow, that is really funny. None of the characters on her website even resemble the design for Scrat. I believe Peter de Seve did the original design and her work looks nothing like his. Im not sure when Ice Age started preproduction, but it was proabably around the same time, if not before, Miss Supersonic "coined the term Sqrat". Now if there was a similarity between the two designs or they used the exact same spelling, I think she could have a case.

RobW720
12-21-2005, 07:26 PM
she is one wacky lookin woman, too.

Eyemaze
12-21-2005, 09:06 PM
Stanley Mouse's (Stanley Miller) case against Pixar's Monsters Inc. looks rock solid compared to this nonsense!

Btw here is the judge's ruling from the Miller vs Pixar case (pretty sure this is 'kosher')

http://www.bethel.edu/~socsco/MediaLaw/MillerPixar1.html

de_tomato
12-22-2005, 05:06 AM
I invented the human reproductive system in my original life as the creator of the cosmos. People wouldnt EXIST, or have fun in bed, without that, where's my money?
So i bought your product, its 1 inch shorter.. so I will sue you.. you owe me money!

gruvsyco
12-22-2005, 06:05 AM
I always though scrat was just short for muskrat (http://images.google.com/images?q=muskrat&hl=en&hs=MZe&lr=&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&sa=N&tab=ii&oi=imagest)

Leionaaad
12-22-2005, 02:01 PM
Giving the fact that she took her shirt off, makes me to be on her side. The fact that she made the concept for scrat, or not, is so beside the point!
I am almost 56 years young, and I have extrtemelly low standards.
At least she is very creative. who in her right minds would put in the personal galery 95 percent images representing herself, in less clothes than at the time she was born??!

DoubleSupercool
12-22-2005, 10:45 PM
I invented a new meal between breakfast and lunch. I call it:

LUNKFAST!!!11!

Guys . . . guys . . . ? ? Anyone want lunkfast? It tastes really good!

UrbanFuturistic
12-22-2005, 11:32 PM
Sounds like a sports injury or a disease caught from someone's jockstrap :thumbsup:

Think I'll stick to 'brunch' thanks.

regards, Paul

DoubleSupercool
12-22-2005, 11:46 PM
Stop living in the past Paul. Lunkfast is the future . . . TODAY!

MAK
12-23-2005, 12:01 AM
Who is Mike Jones ?

CupOWonton
12-23-2005, 12:02 AM
So i bought your product, its 1 inch shorter.. so I will sue you.. you owe me money!
Your lisence agreement clearly states that male modle sizes will varry between 1 and 12 inches in most cases as each one is created by different manufacturers. You get your refund from them, not me. If you dont like it, get it removed. :D

pogonip
12-23-2005, 05:26 AM
EWWWWWW :argh: ....why do woman get tattoo's especially to that extent it makes them look horrific ... * barf * ..and someone get her a hamburger ..yikes ..

UrbanFuturistic
12-23-2005, 10:56 AM
EWWWWWW :argh: ....why do woman get tattoo'sBecause they're sexy! :bounce:

Eh.

Each to their own I suppose.

regards, Paul (who really digs women with lots of tattoos... except in this case :p)

Per-Anders
12-23-2005, 11:26 AM
if you can look at that thing and still say you think tattoos are sexy on women then.. (shudders). just think about the joy of slightly faded tattoos over ageing stretched skin... yeurgh :P

UrbanFuturistic
12-23-2005, 12:09 PM
Tattoos, yes. Her, no. I dont' find skeletons attractive either, just so you know :p

I did say 'except in this case' :wip:

regards, Paul

MarGera
12-23-2005, 12:59 PM
Sorry but what a load of crap, what is the world coming too, also next time please warn people that when they click the link, they are going to see somthing that isn't very pleasant!:scream:

PhilWesson
12-23-2005, 01:34 PM
Roberto,
you may want to edit your first post and say that the link might not be safe for work...
I closed that window with the quickness~

BillB
12-23-2005, 09:20 PM
I've been doing breathing for 23 years, YOU owe me! Pah, that's nothing. I'm calling "Prior Art" on you both, by a good margin, and declaring breathing Public Domain. You can all stop holding your breath.

ChrisMann
12-24-2005, 03:44 AM
Mmm, I think she's kinda cute.....:twisted:

But seriously, if she had character concepts depicting a character with a remote semblance to the mannerisms and look of the Ice Age one, as has been mentioned, then there MIGHT be a case.

Retardculous. Yeah that's my funkyng word. Keep yer hands offa it!!! Heh.

Andyman
12-24-2005, 04:20 AM
If she's able to afford jets to fly around ads and print up all these posters...
...why does she need to sue anyway?

Greedy people are just plain foolish.

Skirnir
12-24-2005, 11:37 PM
I believe a lawsuit is in order.

I deserve compensation for mental and emotional scars given to me by her for attempting to acquire such attention, and showing how contorted her physical features are.

Think I'll win?

ExKArt
12-26-2005, 09:25 PM
she said, "she took it to Hollywood"

now if she took her idea to Hollywood and they said no we don't like. And then it somehow got on a movie, is she entitled to money?

CGTalk Moderation
12-26-2005, 09:25 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.