PDA

View Full Version : Canvas size

Albundyland
12-21-2005, 02:37 AM
Hi folks,

Quick and easy question for you. What canvas size(and resolution size) do you generally work with?

I've been told to work with a resolution of 300 pixels per inch, and to use large canvas sizes(3000x3000pixels).

The problem I encounter when using files of that size is that my PC begins to chug to the point of it being unworkable. I currently use a PC with the following specs:

CPU: 1.74 GHz
Ram: 512 MB DDR
HD: 20 Gig
Video: 64 MB

Should I upgrade my PC or are my files unnecessarily large?

Thanks,

Marco

pixlart
12-21-2005, 01:52 PM
I've been told to work with a resolution of 300 pixels per inch, and to use large canvas sizes(3000x3000pixels).

The problem I encounter when using files of that size is that my PC begins to chug to the point of it being unworkable. I currently use a PC with the following specs:

CPU: 1.74 GHz
Ram: 512 MB DDR
HD: 20 Gig
Video: 64 MB

Should I upgrade my PC or are my files unnecessarily large?

Hi Marco:

The resolution of your files should be determined by the form of output the artwork is intended for. 300dpi is appropriate for print work, although you should always initially discuss this with the service bureau, publisher, etc. In your example, a 3000X3000 300dpi image is good for 10" X 10" reproduction.

Your current system has 512MB of RAM. This is the bottleneck in your system. With today's RAM prices so low, you should upgrade your system to 2GB or so. Applications like Painter and Photoshop operate far more efficiently with large RAM reserves. Adding RAM is the single most effective way to improve your system's performance.

With sufficient RAM installed, you should be able to work with 3Kx3K files with no noticable performance loss.

I hope this is helpful.

Viva la Painter!

Albundyland
12-29-2005, 12:01 AM
Thanks for the feedback. I've increased my RAM to 1.5 gig and also bought a 256 MB videocard. i've noticed slightly improved performance but it still runs sluggishly. Do you have any other suggestions?

zerae
12-29-2005, 08:05 AM
In my opinion it all comes down to the brushes you use, spacing is very important too, make sure you set it properly, damping and cubic interpolation I can live without so I set them to zero and spacing is set between 9 and 21% I'm sure you'll experience a nice performance boost. And disable brush ghosting too.

CGTalk Moderation
12-29-2005, 08:05 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.