PDA

View Full Version : Zero map area problem!

LuckyDevil
12-20-2005, 09:25 PM
hello all, i got this problem where i modeled a low poly character around 4kTri modeled in maya. and when i exported to view it with normal maps in a shader i wrote there seemed to be a lot of missing polys. i double checked the normals and they were fine, and then merged the verts that was fine too. finnaly i tried cleaning up the geometry and i found that there are is "Zero area map" i dont really understand what that is. if i clean up it deletes a lot of the faces that i need. is there a way to fix this without deleting the faces?

and can someone explain zero area map is, i tried googeling for an answer but came up empty handed.

i tried posting the same questin in the maya section but noone answered
-thx in advance-

erik2003
12-21-2005, 08:17 AM
This most likely has to do with faces that have no UV map.

To normal map, you must make sure that all faces have a unique UV map area assigned. To see if this is the problem you can try to slap an anutomatic mapping on your mesh quickly and try again. If the error is gone, that was the problem. Then go back to the UV map you created that apparently has faces missing, and identify which ones that are. Quickest way to do that: go into UV window, press F11 (component mode: faces) and select all faces. Then go into wire frame in your perspective view and see if there are any faces that have not been selected. Select these, and map them to the correct area in you UV map. Then bake again and it should work fine.

Good luck!

Erik van der Pluym

(Note: To head of any purists, if you are clever about it you can still bake and mirror/use overlapping uv's but that is probably not what you are trying to do :D )

LuckyDevil
12-21-2005, 08:10 PM
hey thx for replying, im going to try what u said and see if it works. thx a million!

ill try to post some pics of the model soon with the texture layout.

CGTalk Moderation
12-21-2005, 08:10 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.