PDA

View Full Version : BBC: A TOY STORY ( Follow the creation of a new toy, from Design to Store)

RobertoOrtiz
12-20-2005, 02:56 PM
This is really cool

>>LINK<< (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/spl/hi/picture_gallery/05/in_pictures_toy_story/html/1.stm)

(Alternate link)
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/spl/hi/picture_gallery/05/in_pictures_toy_story/html/1.stm

-R

cJaynes
12-20-2005, 03:50 PM
Page not found?!?!

SpiralFace
12-20-2005, 04:43 PM
very interesting artical.

I find it pretty sad that we are all benifiting from the explotation of the Chineese people in these factorys, but I guess they have a board over their trying to do something about it. And like many of them said, at least they have the work.

SheepFactory
12-20-2005, 04:51 PM
"However, campaign group China Labor Watch found that “excessive work hours, dangerous equipment and chemicals, cramped employee dormitories, abusive managers, crooked hiring practices, and pay below even China’s minimum wage” of 690 yuan ($86; £49) per month were all too common in 11 other toy factories it studied."

That is just sad :\

Sooner or later this s*** will have to change then I wonder where they will go for cheap labor.

harlan_hill
12-20-2005, 05:09 PM
Well, that sucked. I thought it was going to be a cool story about the toy creation process rather than a human-interest story about the poor working conditions of chinese factories.

It definitely sucks that those workers have to deal with that kind of s##t, and I hope that will all change for them.

gunslingerblack
12-20-2005, 05:09 PM
haha so fake the guy with the basketball,

in the picture it looks like he's never even seen a basketball before, like cro-magnon man discovering it for the first time..."you bounce it....like this" "uh....oh...oh oh oh....!!"

PROPOGANDA!

lol

jesus monthly salary to 124 dollars.....crist! and they have them penned up in what appear to be "servants quarters"

crazy

harlan_hill
12-20-2005, 05:13 PM
Yeah those salary figures are crazy, but it's actually a good bit more than some other countries. If memory serves me correctly, the average yearly income of a worker in Egypt is less than $600 (a year!!).

Mechis
12-20-2005, 06:06 PM
I've seen factories like these (electronics factories though, not toy factories) in China myself. On the one hand, people come from all over the place to get jobs here, but it's sad because they basically give up their lives to work at the factories and don't get paid much.

Most people do it for a few years, send money home and then quit because the job is so hard.

Mechis

xino
12-21-2005, 04:14 AM
Seeing the production of Todd McFarlane's toys from conceptual design to finished product always made me feel giddy. I'm not sure if the production process is still on the website though.

CGTalk Moderation
12-21-2005, 04:14 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.