PDA

View Full Version : normals in 3ds max

r_mc_gowan
12-20-2005, 10:20 AM
im just wondering how can i view the normals of a mesh in 3ds max? and also, can i render them?

robinb
12-20-2005, 11:22 AM
There's a setting in the editable mesh Selection rollout to display normals. For some reason there isn't in Editable poly (or I can't find it either). You can simply apply an Edit Normal modifier to do the same thing though.

And as far as I know, no you can't render them.

Ian Jones
12-20-2005, 11:26 AM
To render them, I also don't believe is possible (unless maybe animation > make preview is of help to you). A way to get a rendered result would be using particle flow. Instance some cylinder geometry onto the surface of an object and a speed space follow in rotation. It should work nicely. There could also be a way to do it with a scatterc compound object? Even Fur in max 7.5+ could be a method?

Just some ideas... good luck.

r_mc_gowan
12-20-2005, 11:32 AM
thanks people, some good ideas there.
i can export it as a .x file into directx model viewer and there are settings in there to view normals, edges, uvw flows, but all i will prob get will be a screen grab. still, thankful for the info.

how do i create a speed space follow in rotation, in pflow?
- R

joconnell
12-20-2005, 01:48 PM
Strangely enough by setting the rotation type to speed space follow in your rotation operator and then using the xyz controls to align the correct axis you want. Rotation is merely for pointing something in a direction (unless you animate the values) whereas the spin operator will make the particles tumble in various ways.

r_mc_gowan
12-20-2005, 04:03 PM
thanks, no need to be smarta**

CGTalk Moderation
12-20-2005, 04:03 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.