PDA

View Full Version : Stan Winston Wins Tesla Award

RobertoOrtiz
12-20-2005, 03:19 AM
Quote:
"Special-effects master Stan Winston received an award for visionary achievement in filmmaking technology from the International Press Academy on Dec. 17, but told SCI FI Wire that it was perhaps for the wrong thing. Winston received the Tesla Award—named after inventor, physicist and engineer Nikola Tesla—from the group of international entertainment journalists, but said: "This award is for technical innovation, and it's interesting that I'm getting this award, because I really don't know much about technology, and, in fact, I'm techno-ignorant. I am an artist. ... Any technology I created for special effects I was forced to develop in order to do the things I love. ... I created it for the characters in the movies.""

>>LINK<< (http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/index.php?id=33760)

-R

ntmonkey
12-20-2005, 03:24 AM
That's awesome. There's some seriously fantastic work at the workshop. Congrats on the award. I hear Mr. Winston is a super-nice guy to boot.

peace,

Lu

jasonsco
12-21-2005, 12:23 AM
I've worked with him a couple of times, on A.I.: Artificial Intelligence and with Bonedaddy during Sky Captain, Garfield, and a couple of other projects. I always thought he was fun to be around and a good mentor for me.

Bonedaddy
12-21-2005, 12:39 AM
Have to say that the dude does have a good sense of humor.

ntmonkey
12-21-2005, 03:37 AM
So what's the deal with Stan Winston Digital? There's a rumor floating around regarding the digital part of the studio. Are they still in business? :shrug:

-Lu

Bonedaddy
12-21-2005, 03:58 AM
I don't know the specifics, and I'd rather not go around spreading what may be complete lies on the internet. I'll PM you what I know/have heard.

FloydBishop
12-21-2005, 04:23 AM
http://ccrock.com/pics/tesla-video.jpg

Latten da latten da da da

chudofsinister
12-21-2005, 04:45 PM
For anyone interested, on the Fangoria Blood Drive One dvd, they have a great tour of the Winston Facility. Might not be something you would normally check out but its worth it just for that.

Keiphus
12-21-2005, 09:43 PM
I don't know the specifics, and I'd rather not go around spreading what may be complete lies on the internet. I'll PM you what I know/have heard.

I'd be interested in that PM as well...?

CGTalk Moderation
12-21-2005, 09:43 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.