PDA

View Full Version : Gender Gap in Computer Science Growing

RobertoOrtiz
12-20-2005, 02:01 AM
Quote:
"The percentage of women studying physics, already low, dropped dramatically and stayed in the single digits for decades. Eventually the physics bubble burst for men as well, and today a high percentage of the country's physicists are foreign-born.

Some computer scientists fear that they may be going in the same direction. They view the dearth of women as symptomatic of a larger failure in their field, which has recently become less attractive to promising young men, as well. Women are ''the canaries in the mine," said Harvard computer science professor Barbara J. Grosz"

>>LINK<< (http://www.boston.com/news/local/articles/2005/12/18/in_computer_science_a_growing_gender_gap/)

-R

ntmonkey
12-20-2005, 02:29 AM
That's too bad. I think it has to do with the fact that computer science is a difficult field first of all, and then there's this huge globalization in order to make software engineering cost effective. For some, the trouble just isn't worth getting outbid by someone in India who can do it for far less.

peace,

Lu

animateddave
12-20-2005, 02:55 AM
Women have better things to study like cooking and cleaning.

mebamonster
12-20-2005, 03:02 AM

Oh you didn't just go there...:rolleyes:

Beamtracer
12-20-2005, 04:48 AM
It's very important that more women are attracted to computer work, and CG as well. If the numbers are declining (as the article suggested) that would indicate that people already working in the subject are either preventing women from entering the field, or turning women off this kind of work.

Did it say that computer geeks tend to lack proper hygiene? Is that so? Don't they wash?

That would explain a previous story about how computer equipment is often covered with a layer of bacteria and microbes. That would turn anyone off computer work. :rolleyes:

JMcWilliams
12-20-2005, 05:00 AM
that would indicate that people already working in the subject are either preventing women from entering the field, or turning women off this kind of work.

People need to stop blaming stupid things for their own problems. If women are not attracted to computer work then thats their problem and their choice (and hence fault). Nobody has a resposibilty to try and attract them, it is what it is.
Smelly people are everywhere, not just in front of a computer :p ;) . They are not all men either.

richcz3
12-20-2005, 06:19 AM
JMcWilliams - I'll have to agree with you. There was a recent scandal when a prominent university professor stated that the studies of physics and higher maths (tenure I believe) were not attractive to women. His reasoning was that those women interested in starting families, put family first. The professor was besieged by critics as being sexist and out of touch with modern womans principals. Yet almost two years after the controversial statement, enrollments for women have not increased.

For me there are fundamental differences in interests and capacitites between woman and men. How many times do we have to read that we need more woman in CG or in gaming? There simply are certain trades that are going to appeal more to one sex than the other. Crimany there are physiological and psycological differences between the sexes. We can't legistlate androgonists ideals in every profession. Vive le Difference!! :thumbsup:

Tlock
12-20-2005, 04:22 PM
I don't think that woman are ever discourage from going into the math and sciences. I just think that from a younger age woman are groomed differently than men are. I find that woman are some of the best talent in this industry it's just that it seems CG has become more of Science than an Art form, which maybe a result of to much business and testosterone.

SpiralFace
12-20-2005, 04:28 PM
I agree with you richcz, That women have different outlooks in life then men, and that the feild is'nt attractive to them. But I've found that their is this common misconception around computers and CG that its a boys game, and girls are'nt welcome to play in it. There are alot of women out their that beleave this, even though from what I've seen, this is the furthest from the truth you can get.

SpiralFace
12-20-2005, 04:30 PM
... it's just that it seems CG has become more of Science than an Art form, which maybe a result of to much business and testosterone.

I whole heartedly disagree with this, as programs like z-brush and painter make it MORE of an artform now that technology can better emulate the analoge work. I could go into this further, but this is'nt the place for a discussion like this. Sorry for going off topic.

Tlock
12-20-2005, 05:48 PM
That may be true regarding Painter, but the technical skills needed today compared to the past is much much higher. Not to mention that 2D maybe trying to emulate real life, but anyway you look at it 3D is so technical from the mechanics of motion to the concepts of lighting, the ability to be creative is still there but requires A LOT of technical skills.
Simple FACT. No real world painter working with brushes and never used a computer is going to jump on Painter today and be like this is so easy. Next time you need to write your own Shader ask your painter friend they should have no problems, hahahahaa. Tell them to artistic......

faya
12-20-2005, 06:31 PM

...and this statement clearly shows that we still have moronic, stereotypically thinking individuals in this day and age.

animateddave
12-20-2005, 06:37 PM
...and this statement clearly shows that we still have moronic, stereotypically thinking individuals in this day and age.

...and this statement clearly shows that we don't have a sense of humor in this day and age.

Dennik
12-20-2005, 06:54 PM
For those of you that have iTunes installed, subscribe to science friday podcast (Its free, just do a search for it under the podcasts directory at apple music store)
and download the December 2 podcast titled "Gender Differences in Learning and Cognition"
Lots of usefull info there. :)

JeroenDStout
12-20-2005, 07:17 PM
Ye gods, this 'problem' is getting on my nerves :) art is art, true, it's a bit technical, but everybody is. Plenty of women who can operate a mobile phone or even do so because they want to. Wouldn't blame technology for scaring away women.

Had someone in my class who didn't like cg art as you couldn't hold it, it wasn't as real as a painting. In that aspect I think CG art just is new so people think it's 'not as good' or 'not real art' or 'too technical'.

Nah, just people who fall for sarcasm ;)

JMcWilliams
12-20-2005, 08:16 PM
I'm angry people. In colleges around the world there are courses in fashion design FILLED with women and hardly any men. I am sickened by this injustice and this of course must be because there is a conspiracy of women keeping men out of these courses. Damn women. What we need to do is FORCE young men into fashion design, that would even out the numbers and I could then live in comfort knowing that justice is served. Hurrah for justice.

MikeRhone
12-20-2005, 08:26 PM
I think too much effort is spent wondering where the women are at.

:shrug:

ntmonkey
12-20-2005, 09:33 PM
I think too much effort is spent wondering where the women are at.

:shrug:

I know where they are. I'm trying to get them to come home with me. I think that's the REAL issue. :D

peace,

Lu

JeroenDStout
12-20-2005, 09:35 PM
I know where they are. I'm trying to get them to come home with me. I think that's the REAL issue. :D

peace,

Lu
They're in your home. You just don't know where.

Duh-duhdunnn ;)

BillSpradlin
12-20-2005, 09:37 PM
Hrmm, someone's been checking my dead hooker collection. I'll be sure to dispose of you later...

richcz3
12-20-2005, 10:38 PM
If we build it - The will come.
So what are we building again ? :curious:

MuseSyndrome
12-20-2005, 10:52 PM
There is a gender imbalance here - not enough women are posting in this thread.:D

rakmaya
12-21-2005, 04:40 AM
It is the "affter effect" that carries through generation. It is the problem from old days that still effect how women look at the world.

I remember in a psychology class (long time ago when I was in college) it was said that the human behavior and outlook of the environment seeds when you are a child. It plays an important role in shaping your interests and studies in future. So if we look at young girls and boys (under 12) you can see that the initiation to bring them into the fields has to start there before they dive into other areas. It also has a little to do with the inspirations and directions from the parents.

CGTalk Moderation
12-21-2005, 04:40 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.