PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave and Blender

actionfigure
12-19-2005, 09:45 PM
NO... This is not a comparison!!! - but I noticed that there are a few tutorials for Lightwave that are always referred to Blender. They say that you can use Lightwave tutorials for Blender and it will work as good. I never used LW so Im not sure if this is true. I personally feel that there very few good tutorial for Blender - and yes I tried to the tutorials to the links up above but most of the links are dead or just not good. I can say that the video tuts are great but again just a few.

((( The Fur Tutorial that was just posted is excellent and I mean excellent!!! ))) :thumbsup:

Thats what Im talking about!!! :)

Im kinda disappointed that there are Blender experts out there that are really good at getting around with Blender but most of the are not making any tutorials. I know this takes time and effort but I feel its important so we can show the other commercial 3d community what Blender is made of.

Happy Blending!

Apollux
12-19-2005, 09:57 PM
I don't know about the others, but whenever I find myself cornered and there isn't a Blender specific source for whatever I need, LightWave tutorials are my first choice. They have saved my CG neck more than once.

kattkieru
12-19-2005, 11:04 PM
Im kinda disappointed that there are Blender experts out there that are really good at getting around with Blender but most of the are not making any tutorials.

A few important notes:
1) Lightwave has a much longer history than the versions of Blender that have been publicly available (let alone popular; the initial releases weren't anywhere near as widely used as the versions released these days).
2) Have you not looked around? There are AMAZING tutorials in blender on both this forum and on Elysiun.com. As well, lots of people have been making terrific video tutorials. Not to mention that if you speak Japanese or Spanish the number of quality tutorials is greatly increased.
3) Blender has been featured in more than a few CG magazines at this point.

So really it's not an issue of not making tutorials. Blender's constantly evolving, just like Lightwave used to, and until it stabilizes and feature additions aren't as night-and-day as things like the new Armature system, etc., then I think the tutorials won't equalize either. But the better it gets and the more (professional) users it has, the more tutorials we'll be seeing.

Besides, as an old Lightwave user I actually think it's great that the tutorials basically work the same, as it meant I was able to pick up modeling in Blender right quick. :)

Aids
12-20-2005, 12:21 AM
Thanks for the comment on my tutorial, but thier are tutorials on almost everything in blender all you have to doo is look, and if your so worried at how many tutorials are written about blender, write some.

carnageRPM
12-22-2005, 01:41 AM
and if your so worried at how many tutorials are written about blender, write some.

hes asking for tuts(cause hes new) and your telling him to write one...smack smack. awesome tut u made with the fur, i just tryed it and it worked perfect but stop getting smart.

in a way i agree with him...example i know all the light setups(like 500 tuts on it) but cant find a good tut on makin a good day light scene with out GL.

right now theres a thread on making sun light, this is about the 5th time i seen a tread like this.

CGTalk Moderation
12-22-2005, 01:41 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.