PDA

View Full Version : Ars: "Analog Hole" Legislation Introduced

mummey
12-19-2005, 03:54 AM
You might remember hearing about a similar bill a few years back. Well, they're trying again.

A frightening bit of legislation was introduced to the US House Judiciary Committee on Friday. The Digital Transition Content Security Act of 2005 (http://static.publicknowledge.org/pdf/HR-4569-DTCSA-Analog-Hole.pdf) (PDF) is sponsored by Rep. Jim Sensenbrenner (R-WI) and Rep. John Conyers (D-MI) (http://judiciary.house.gov/media/pdfs/analogprotectintro121605.pdf) (PDF) and would close that pesky analog hole (http://arstechnica.com/articles/culture/analog-hole.ars) that poses such a dire threat to the survival of the music and movie industries. The bill was originally planned for introduction in early November, but was tabled after hearings held by the House Subcomittee on Courts, the Internet, and Intellectual Property.

Calling the ability to convert analog video content to a digital format a "significant technical weakness in content protection," H.R. 4569 would require all consumer electronics video devices manufactured more than 12 months after the DTCSA is passed to be able to detect and obey a "rights signaling system" that would be used to limit how content is viewed and used. That rights signaling system would consist of two DRM technologies, Video Encoded Invisible Light (VEIL) and Content Generation Management System—Analog (CGMS-A), which would be embedded in broadcasts and other analog video content.

>>Link<< (http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20051218-5797.html)

pluMmet
12-19-2005, 09:04 AM
My favorite quote (a couple of links into it.):
"Yes, Jack Valenti said the VCR would destroy Hollywood, and while these moonbats no longer believe that, they do know that the rhetoric works."

JamesMK
12-19-2005, 10:40 AM
Oh... I'm so tired...

With all the money and efforts spent on researching DRM schemes and legislations and ban-all-games crusades (yeah, I'm throwing everything into the mix here for some reason) - I can't help but wonder why they don't simply stop allowing any form of distribution of any kind of media at all, be it movies, music, software/games and so forth. If nothing is ever sold, shipped or broadcast, there's no way anybody will ever get access to any media at all, hence they can not make any copies or become mentally crippled from playing games....

Surely that would be a much, much easier solution?

Mudvin
12-19-2005, 12:19 PM
threat to the survival of the music and movie industries

Poor, poor industries.

I think it's much better will be to close Hollywood and MPAA at all.

CupOWonton
12-19-2005, 03:27 PM
Oh the poor poor BILLION DOLLAR INDUSTRIES.

How will they ever survive making More and More money each year without making... even MORE and MORE money each year?

Dennik
12-19-2005, 03:38 PM
It makes me wonder why was VCR and tape recorders introduced to the market in the first place.

Lomax
12-19-2005, 03:40 PM
At this point I'm just waiting for the whole system to collapse.
The studios complain they are losing money because of piracy, something they can't actually prove. Rather than blame it on the fact that thier products are mostly crap, they find a scape-goat, and use it as an excuse to gain more control.
Just like with dvd, some one will eventually crack the security, lawsuits will be filed, more money/retoric will be wasted on new security measures, consumers will (hopefully) be driven away, and the current studio system will eventually just collapse under its own weight...

I am really curious just how much money the studios spend, each year, on litigation, security R&D, and bribing/lobbying senators... it can't be cheap :shrug:

Andyman
12-19-2005, 08:58 PM
^ That's where all the money is being "lost to piracy"...

"Piracy forces us to spend millions each year fighting it. Please feel sorry for us."

Ed Bittner
12-20-2005, 11:49 AM
I've said this before, and it still makes sense, ( to me at least). The movie company big-shots should sell dvds at the theater at the initial release. Show 'em your stub ,(and you could buy one), probably at a slightly higher rate than the usual 4 month later release. THEN, 4 months later, get the dvd with all the special features or Superbit version or whichever. I've come outta some movies saying just that, " If the dvd were available, I'd buy it right now". Those big-shots would get the best of both worlds. Ticket sales, and dvd sales at the same time. As far as I'm concerned I'd rather watch a studio release than a "camcorder pirated" version anytime.
E.

jcbray
12-21-2005, 11:21 AM
Oh the poor poor BILLION DOLLAR INDUSTRIES.

How will they ever survive making More and More money each year without making... even MORE and MORE money each year?

Yes, these company's make lots of money, so they should in not want to stop people from stealing products they own the right to!

Just because they make a lot of money doesn't mean it's right to steal from them. Just because a lot fo people think producvts are over priced doesn't justify it either. Whether or not the loss incurred is as big as they claim, or a lot lot smaller, it still shouldn't have to be taken by them.

I don't necessarily agree with how they are going about trying to prevent all this and such, but claiming they shouldn't worry about losing some money because they have a lot of money isn't exactly a clever retort.

...no offense or anyhting :)

JeroenDStout
12-21-2005, 01:53 PM
I think he meant that million dollar industries are not in the position to be 'oh poor us, oh, my hurtfull legs, oh, how poor we are with all the theft, oh deary me, oh, my poor legs, oh, I'm but old and, oh, again there is theft'.

It'd be like Bill Gates saying that Windows not running on Macs is a hurtful monopoly of Apple.

CupOWonton
12-21-2005, 02:30 PM
Yes, these company's make lots of money, so they should in not want to stop people from stealing products they own the right to!

Just because they make a lot of money doesn't mean it's right to steal from them. Just because a lot fo people think producvts are over priced doesn't justify it either. Whether or not the loss incurred is as big as they claim, or a lot lot smaller, it still shouldn't have to be taken by them.

I don't necessarily agree with how they are going about trying to prevent all this and such, but claiming they shouldn't worry about losing some money because they have a lot of money isn't exactly a clever retort.

...no offense or anyhting :)

Where did I say anything about stealing?

I said that because they:
#1- Make more money because of popularity gained through the wide spread torrenting of sertain audio and video files.
#2- Make more money when people CANT listen to a full CD before they buy it, and most stores dont take returns on opened CD's or DVD's, screwing a consumer who's unhappy about their purchase.
#3- Stand to make more money off of both audio/video manufacturing companies who dont produce music or video themselves and the whole wide consumer base of the world through the implementation of this ability.
#4- This wasnt as big of an issue till they realised they could sell you seasons of old shows on DVD. They dont want you to deny them the ability to controll what you watch on Cable/Satelite TV,which you paid for, and then sell it to you again in DVD format.

This whole ordeal is so they make more money off of all the integrated workings you'll end up having to pay for.
The hardware DRM repairs for files that are being deleted because the hardware is picking up noise and flagging it on the files as a deletion date. Hell, your media center with this kind of implementation at a higher level could litteraly flag your FAMILY PHOTOS and delete them automaticly.
The extra integrated hardware is just going to shoot up the base price of ANY media or recording device you ever buy, and it will go right to their pockets. They want to charge you for recording TV. If it were illegal for you to record TV, the VCR should never have been made and released to the general public.

Also, this gives them a whole lot of controll over INFORMATION,what will and won't be recorded/shown in any recording, which is NOT something anyone should be 'OK' with.

They are in NO position to complain and wine about "Losing Money".

CGTalk Moderation
12-21-2005, 02:30 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.