PDA

View Full Version : Pixel software

bsm3d
12-18-2005, 06:42 PM
Do you know this software ? I just discover and foudn it really powerfull liek a mixed photoshop+fireworks for a fraction of prices (+-40 usd) workspace is really usefull and the virtual desktop inside software is amazing use :)

Pixel home page:

http://www.kanzelsberger.com

If any use, can you say me what's you think about it ?

blacknoise
12-18-2005, 06:49 PM
wow! i was looking for "ps" for linux and it looks like i've found it! need to check this app out! will let you know whenever i install it at work! thanks!

Tak Tak
12-18-2005, 10:16 PM
Little bit buggy, but looks very promising.

bsm3d
12-18-2005, 10:39 PM
Yup it's what's I discover when testing, little bit buggy but very promising...

it's funny to see all the best from tshop, fireworks and a bit painter have been merged into a one app. for all platforms !

DanSilverman
12-18-2005, 10:42 PM
I couldn't find any support for a tablet (maybe I missed it). So, this got promptly deleted.

laureato di arte
12-18-2005, 10:53 PM
wow! i was looking for "ps" for linux and it looks like i've found it! need to check this app out! will let you know whenever i install it at work! thanks!

looks quite interesting, im really begining to like how these cheap software apps are allowing users to do similar things to what the big apps do. Really cool. By the way black noise i am really feeling that avatar of yours, it is so simple but it says so much, did you use the photoshop filter to create it?

Hazdaz
12-18-2005, 11:11 PM
So for a Photoshop user, do you guys see any reason to ever switch to something like this. I am looking at the site now, and while it does look powerful (and has a VERY similiar interface to PS), I don't see any compelling reason to actually switch.

PS has awful vector support, so something that does a GOOD job at combining vectors with pixels would be great.

Oh yea, and if the post above is right and it doesn't support a tablet, then it really is a huge no-no.

stew
12-18-2005, 11:20 PM
It's quite nice, but to be honest, I still stick to my OEM Photoshop Elements. Maybe I'm just too used to that one and don't feel like re-learning. But I really like the idea of having this program available on my favorite niche OS (Zeta, formerly known as BeOS).

Dealing with OpenEXR images more and more, I'm starting to get acquainted with CinePaint anyway.

laureato di arte
12-18-2005, 11:37 PM
does anybody here know how to duplicate an image in the alpha layer in filter factory?

bsm3d
12-18-2005, 11:40 PM
I couldn't find any support for a tablet (maybe I missed it). So, this got promptly deleted.

I see pressure, fade, step, etc params for tablet under Brush panels ;)

That's working fine with my graphire 4.

bsm3d
12-18-2005, 11:48 PM
PS has awful vector support, so something that does a GOOD job at combining vectors with pixels would be great.

The best bitmap and vector app I know and use is fireworks from macromedia...oups Adobe ;)

Mmm You right as PS users wont switch to Pixel but when it's time to pay upgrade...outch pixel is 40 usd how many is PS ??

Pixel is really impressive PS + Fireworks mixed, all the web tools...so a bit to young for now maybe.

Other right thing here is one guy can release a PS killer for a fraction of price...so why Adobe and others giants corp can justify the cost of their softwares ? marketing cost ?...or trust ?

I don't like Giants corp buying others because thay can't do the sames, users must just migrate, learn new softwares and pay for...We are in strange years of CG app, all is migrating, transforming,...industries is changing and we are between old and new apps generations !

Tak Tak
12-19-2005, 06:59 AM
I hate PS... Like bsm3d sayd if there is only 1 big company making "standard tool" it woun't change. Like PS4 -> PS what ever. There is no much changes and new. All what thay want is just money. Now we have next version... thanks give us 500$ and upgrade to better tool, which is actually same product you allready have... Rubbish! There is nothing new for paying such a money.

I hope products like Pixel grow up and show Adobe how things should do.

Bigpet
12-19-2005, 07:21 AM
Well it is a nice idea to re-create Photoshop for a lower price.
But I think this prog won't last long. Once its userbase grows
it will attract Adobes attention and I really think
Pavel Kanzelsberger boke some PS patents with his software.

bsm3d
12-19-2005, 12:32 PM
I agree that's they must Adobe patent into Pixel, but that's another problems this patents all registered to only one company such Adobe, how others and small editor can creates their own softwares with this patents ??

for me this patent monopole is looking like trust ! like mouse pointer, this kind of thing never must be registered !

Bah...

eric3dee
12-19-2005, 04:06 PM
No pressure sensitivity that I can tell- adjusting the pressure bar thingy only seems to adjust it overall-- not allow for sensitivity. Maybe I'm missing something too?

Fides
12-20-2005, 06:14 AM
I ordered this software about 2 years ago, for $30.00, cause it looked great. Didn't work at *all*. None of the features were implemented or it would crash every 2 minutes and none of the bugs ever got fixed.

I got an email from that guy a couple of months ago saying it had been updated recently, so I downloaded the latest version, used it for about 20 minutes and found about 5 more bugs. But he has a bug tracker now and I filed a few bug reports which were fixed in about a month.

Program has potential, but it's a one man show, so I don't know how fast it will progress. That guy could make some cash if he got serious.

What's interesting is that the program is written in compiled Pascal( or maybe its Fortran ). Go figure.

stew
12-20-2005, 11:54 AM
Figure what?

Nichod
01-01-2006, 02:39 AM
Has potential. Might be worth grabbing at the low price.

Zarf
01-01-2006, 03:24 AM
What's interesting is that the program is written in compiled Pascal( or maybe its Fortran ). Go figure.

Not all that interesting.... graphics apps have been written in all kinds of languages (heck, s-world/n-world/mirai is written mostly in common lisp(!))

Cheers
Xarf

CGTalk Moderation
01-01-2006, 03:24 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.