PDA

View Full Version : New Feature Request: Spoiler Tag

JDex
12-18-2005, 06:39 PM
UPDATE -- The code warriors behind CGTalk have granted our wish, and an impressive version of it at that. If you wish to test it out with non-spoiler info... please do so in this thread...

-- Please don't abuse this tag with non-spoiler stuff throughout the forums (this thread only).

-- Please make a concious effort when discussing creative works such as books, films and television to use this tag on info that could spoil someone elses enjoyment of it.

Super big thanks to everyone who contributed to getting this accomplished... the voters, the admins and especially the coders!

---
---
---
---

Original post.

We have the <quote></quote> tags... we have the <code></code> tags... in a forum that spends so much time discussing films and games, and the stories they tell... shouldn't we have the <spoiler></spoiler> tags.

Now I know they are not built-in to vbulletin... but these would be very easy to add.

My suggestion is to add a new vbtag class for people to easily add spoiler info to their postings... additionally, if someone forgot, or didn't know to use them, the mods (who already edit such posts) could quickly wrap the sensitive data with the tags.

Format suggestion:

Automatically adds the text: :::SPOILERS:::

Colors the text in the background color of the post (which is #373737) so that it appears like this:

use your mouse cursor to select the text between these two lines
--------------------------------------------------------------------

This is a spoiler.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

There are actually many cooler things that "could" be done, such as using hidden layers and such, but this seems to be the quickest, no fuss method.

So CGTalk... what say you?

erilaz
12-19-2005, 12:38 AM
Heh... I quite like that idea! :D

Rebeccak
12-19-2005, 01:08 AM
That's a good one! :D I clicked on a Discussion Thread about Nightmare before Christmas, boy was I bummed on that one when I read the ending...:rolleyes:

JDex
12-19-2005, 05:43 PM
Bump 1 :thumbsup:

chrisWhite
12-19-2005, 08:30 PM
That sounds awesome to me as well! :thumbsup:

pencil-head
12-19-2005, 10:17 PM
BRILLIANT!!!

JDex, best christmas avatar ever.:D

JDex
12-19-2005, 11:07 PM
BRILLIANT!!!

JDex, best christmas avatar ever.:D

:D

Glad someone likes it! :bounce:

Shame I couldn't get it on here at full size... looks much cooler in it's all-powerful, HDavatar* glory.

*The HD term is a proprietary term, patented and trademarked by Yeah Right Inc. All rights reserved. No part of this term may be reproduced by any means without the written permission of Yeah Right Inc. No avatars or silly putty factory workers were harmed during the creation of this document. Epileptic Seizure alert: may contain bright shiny objects, but we're not sure. Return for refund where applicable (Jake's Sex Toys Unlimited is the only place offering refunds). Not recommended for persons with low self-esteem. Batteries are included -- best of luck finding them (they're hidden in Eriliaz's tea cup). Proud sponsor of the Anal Retentive Technical Director Bobsled Team, who won first place in the June 2000 Hawaii Bobsled and Ping-Pong Invitational. May cause hemmroids, drowsyness or loss of imagination after the first use. Contents under pressure. DEET added to preserve bug-free status. Caution: this product has caused some laboratory primates to grow to colossal proportions and fall in love with blond struggling actresses, eventually leading to their demise. Shake well before using. No user-serviceable parts inside, however the parts inside have been rumored to service users of the female persuasion. Not to be combined with other avatars or suppositories except under the advice of a professional bowler. Avoid prolonged exposure to loud, obnoxious OS zealots. The truth is out there, but you won't know it until you die. Use no spell checkers in the vicinity of an HDavatar. Not intended for use by warez-boyz or professional webpage developers under the age of five. Printed on recycled paper** from a siberian labor camp and we're proud of it.

** Okay, it's not recycled paper, we lied, so sue us.

PS: Now vote dammit! :thumbsup:

pnoland
12-20-2005, 06:15 AM
Good idea you crazy SOB!!! :D Heh heh, I dig that avatar too. :)

JDex
12-20-2005, 05:56 PM
Hee heh heh

:D

Crazy is such a harsh term... more like sanity-challenged.

ps. Vote Dammit!

Simon
12-22-2005, 02:40 PM
Im for it!

tilite
12-22-2005, 06:48 PM
I've got to say i like that one.

As long as its easy to add I'm all for it

JDex
12-24-2005, 07:15 PM
Christmassy Bump.

Strang
01-02-2006, 04:58 PM
i wonder if the suggested spoiler tag could just make the text be collapsible inside its own section? then the user would have to expand it to see it. highlighting between those lines or using ctrl+a would get annoying.

spoiler minded people would browse with a "collapse all spoilers" option in their user control panel..

SirRon
01-04-2006, 03:40 AM
Definately a cool idea. But two comments...

-Will people use it?
-When you reply, the 'spoiler' font color becomes slightly more visible because the background of the preview posts are different.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v215/Sirron/spoiler.jpg

Strang
01-04-2006, 03:45 AM
-When you reply, the 'spoiler' font color becomes slightly more visible because the background of the preview posts are different.

which is why i suggested have everything between the tags collapse. then have to be expanded in order to be seen. with javascript and html it should be relatively easy, a collapsible div if you will...

JDex
01-04-2006, 02:11 PM
I agree that hidden layers would be a great solution, just not sure how the implementation would work inside the "browser compatability" that CGS strives for. Probably wouldn't be a problem.

As for the reply coloring... simple CSS change to address it... no biggie.

Many would use it, once they knew it was there, and it's a way for the mods, who already add spoiler warnings sometimes, to more quickly and consistantly add them.

Arrghman
01-04-2006, 08:10 PM
Another forum I frequent has a spoiler tag, and it's very useful. They implemented it by making the spoiler text always be black, with a black background behind it. I rather like this method, because then if you make only some parts of a post spoilers, it looks like a classified document :D

DevilHacker
01-07-2006, 06:37 AM
I am all in for it!
Though, I agree that having something that is expandable/ collapsible would be much better than just text color.
(Look below for an example)
;)

http://img400.imageshack.us/img400/5315/cgtalkexpand2hu.jpg

-When Clicked-

http://img369.imageshack.us/img369/8660/cgtalkcollapse6ag.jpg

Strang
01-07-2006, 07:25 AM
not to mention more professional...

color text would be hackish

JDex
01-07-2006, 04:50 PM
not to mention more professional...

color text would be hackish

I'd suffer a hack if it meant getting it implemented faster.

DevilHacker
01-08-2006, 05:37 AM
I'd suffer a hack if it meant getting it implemented faster.
Well… If I have a free weekend, I could write up the code, maybe then… if we (the members) do the work, they would implement the feature. I think the only thing that is keeping this feature from being here already is that it is not a feature that requires the immediate attention of mibus to keep the site up and running.

JDex
01-20-2006, 02:54 AM
Hey, I missed a post, how did that happen.

Devil, if that's possible, that would be awesome...

Mibus/Leo... what say you? Pretty solid numbers in the poll. Is it something that can be looked at, or added to the agenda?

ThE_JacO
01-22-2006, 03:31 AM
I totally dig the idea!
I remember when I was reading the thread about passion of Christ, and suddenly found myself reading the ending of the movie. It so ruined the movie's finale for me...

Mibus
01-23-2006, 01:48 AM
How did the other forum stop the spoilers being sent out in the thread subscription notifications?

JDex
01-23-2006, 01:59 AM
How did the other forum stop the spoilers being sent out in the thread subscription notifications?

Mmmm tricky. Is it possible to store spoilers in a separate blob or something, and have them separately called outside of the subscription process?

Just throwing out a novice's thought.

-Vormav-
02-15-2006, 03:39 AM
I'm assuming thread subscriptions have to query the content of the message before the notifications are sent out. Seems like it'd be easy enough to do a simple regex replacement right after that to remove everything inside <spoiler> tags before doing that, no?
That's what I had to do for another forum I used to run. Granted it wasn't VB, but VB seems to handle things similarly enough.

EDIT: Just noticed a little something Mibus posted in another thread. Looking nice. ;)

Mibus
02-15-2006, 04:29 AM
It was as simple as this:

$text = preg_replace('#\[spoiler(=("|"|\'|).*\\2)?\]((?>[^\[]+?|(?R)|.))*\[/spoiler\]#siU', '', $text);

;)

It's actually a slightly adjusted version of the regex used to strip quoted text, which antrent pointed out was a close enough match to what we want.

salmonmoose
02-15-2006, 07:18 AM
WHEEE! i can be useful!

Kirt
02-15-2006, 11:13 PM
Whoa! Spoiler tags are now available? Mibus and Antrent ... you guys rock! :buttrock:

I just noticed this today. Awesome!

JDex
02-15-2006, 11:25 PM
Hey... how'd you do that?

Kirt
02-15-2006, 11:27 PM
Hey... how'd you do that?
{spoiler]insert text here[/spoiler}

I saw it in the FAQ under vB code help.

JDex
02-15-2006, 11:29 PM
{spoiler]insert text here[/spoiler}

I saw it in the FAQ under vB code help.

I didn't realize it was public yet. Excellent. Now our plans are almost complete... Admiral, ready the weapons.

Hehehe... clearly the 10 character limit excludes spoiler text. I love this.

Mibus
02-15-2006, 11:32 PM
I didn't realize it was public yet.
Actually, it's been working since the day I asked about the notification emails. I didn't want to use it publicly (and let anybody know) until that had been licked.

:thumbsup:

WHEEE! i can be useful!

Yeah, seems to be a common theme this week :p

Kirt
02-15-2006, 11:45 PM
http://www.rootology.com/images/whoa.jpg
Just had to test this out as well ...

Did I say that the code monkeys here are the greatest? Well they are. What would we do without our silent geniuses?

Mibus
02-16-2006, 12:25 AM
Who you calling silent? :)

salmonmoose
02-16-2006, 02:49 AM
I'm really an animator :) I just play code monkey for the bananas ;)

DevilHacker
02-17-2006, 12:51 AM
nice...
:buttrock:

eek
02-17-2006, 04:40 AM
JDEX your my hero! ROCK test test test test cant get it to work? :(

test
eek

JDex
02-17-2006, 04:47 AM
http://forums.cgsociety.org/misc.php?do=bbcode

;)

Thanks eek. :thumbsup:

eek
02-17-2006, 04:49 AM
Thx man, stressful day - had to vent on the other thread.

eek

JDex
05-28-2006, 09:48 PM
Ahh... the first big need for the spoiler tags since Kong has happened... what have we learned.

Many people don't understand how the forum's markup language works... they don't get the [---][/---] format. Perhaps they always use the WYSIWYG form for posting. Perhaps we need to add a tag button to the interface.

Also, if you put the tags into the [.code.][./code.] tags, it shows blank... so it makes it more diffecult to explain the usage of the [.spoiler.][./spoiler.] tags to people in-thread.

eg.
1. this is a spoiler
2. this is bold text

The [.spoiler.][./spoiler.] tags should probably act like the other tags inside of the [.code.][./code.] tags.

CGTalk Moderation
05-28-2006, 09:48 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.