PDA

View Full Version : Project Suburbia (WIP)

ChimpanG
12-18-2005, 11:41 AM
*FAIRLY SIGNIFICANT UPDATE, SCROLL DOWN (BUILDING)*
thread will be updated again since i am back on track

Project Suburbia
Hello, I am Giuseppe and am starting my first major project (alone)
I am 16 and from the United Kingdom.

The project is called Suburbia and is being made with 3DS MAX 7
I am modelling and texturing the entire thing myself, all textures are being painted or photographed by me.
I am about 2 weeks in now and I get so much inspiration from here I just had to get some feedback from you guys and girls.
There is no actual time limit on this so this thread will be updated as I go,
To begin with I thought I'd throw a 'typical' prop, this isnt a high end one and it isnt a quickly thrown together one, its just one thats of average quality (not 100% optimised and the texture is average) so that you'd see overall quality, any feedback is welcome.
I will soon be putting up some environment pictures aswell as props.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v110/ghlpics/Road_Sign.jpg
Roadworks sign - Prop
Notes: there is some texture space left over, i am going to use it for other small prop models that are going to be onscreen at the same time as this prop.
The texture needs some love hehe, its not very well done.

Any sort of comments will help me along, thanks

MK2
12-18-2005, 12:42 PM
Why do you need 71 triangles?

These are 5 boxes, a 12 Tris = 60 Tris.
And then you can delete 4 Tris for the small legs on the back side.
Gives you 56.

The texture is a bit big IMO (for such a small obj.).
I would not put that sign on the texture directly. Maybe you wanna use it also somewhere
else too.
It would be easier if you make a folder with the textures for all the signs.
Then you can allway multitexture it over the things where you need them.

ChimpanG
12-18-2005, 01:19 PM
see this is why i post :D

great, i'll drop the texture size and have the sign on a decal!
thanks a million!
I was told by my 'project overviewer' that it was alright in tex size and poly count but i guess lower is better so :)
I'll post the update in a bit

cay030
12-18-2005, 06:02 PM
GLandolina,

I think it looks cool, cant wait to see more and the environment stuff as well. Good luck with your project and keep it up. Later

Chris Youngblood
http://www.cyoungblood.com

ChimpanG
12-18-2005, 07:13 PM
Thanks Cay030!
Update: Apparently the current setup of this model is fine. if i have time to change it i can after the rest is done, i still intend on making the metal bit a decal.
I have some deadlines tomorrow so i might not have anything tomorrow or tonight here but it will update.
Thanks guys, comments welcome!

Oh! forgot to say i was playing with specular and have a version for my planned "rainy version" which is essentially going to be a shinier colour-washed version of this when its all done.

ninjacore
12-19-2005, 09:34 AM
this aint bad. but heres an idea. You could have the whole thing on a 256x512 (or 256x128). have the sign and the wood surrounding it taking up 256x256 ( or 128x128) of the texture sheet, and the rest is just plain wood. then just fire all your wood bits onto the wood half, and the face that has the sign on it taking up the other half. for something like this, you dont need to unwrap every single face neatly and have them all using up unique areas of the map ( although you wanted the back face of the sign part to have a tag on it, if your not precious about it , you can loose it with this method). faces like on the legs can overlay each other on the wood side and be moved around. darken the wood area at the bottom. use that for dirty leg ends and shadowy areas .

ChimpanG
12-19-2005, 03:03 PM
thanks ninjacore, i was wondering, how would i unwrap to a 512x256 in Max?
When I've ever unwrapped in the past it has been to a square.
I've been messing with dirtying this up a bit on the ends and stuff, much nicer and i'll put it all to use in the long texture when i try it.

I am currently modelling props exclusively, whether or not they will be put to use is questionable but its what i need to practice so thats what i am doing :)

ninjacore
12-19-2005, 10:08 PM
in max you Could choose to go to the options in the unwrap editor, and change the box size to 512x256. but theres no real point. say you had a texture at 512x256 and you get it up in the background of the uvunwrap. it will be all squased up to fit in the square. this is ok. you just stretch your uvs untill they fit accordingly. like if you had a perfect circle on the texture sheet, in the unwrapper, that little sucker would be more oval shaped to fit the stretch.

game engine depending, you can have any size u want as long as it fits the power of 2 rule. (32,64,128,256,512,1024,2048). sometimes u can only go as far as the 1:2 ratio. other engines will allow you to do stuff like 128x1024. for learning stick to the 1:2 ratio at the most. its really a matter of strategy in order to get a good looking prop with the best amount of pixels you can afford. also depends on the game. FPS, you want more detail cos u can go right up to things. 3rd person. things can be further away, but the camera could be swung round to get close to an object.

as an experiment try doing a 256x256 version of your texture and compare it to the 512. and see if there is much difference.

ChimpanG
12-23-2005, 10:59 AM
This morning I modelled a block of flats, its not entirely done and needs some more geometry but for the most part its there.
Texturing will begin ASAP on it since its the only major building work i've done as of yet.
Poly count could have been a bit lower but its mainly got alot of extra cuts for texturing, you'll get the count once its final.
modelled it from about 9:30 till about 10:45/11:00
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v110/ghlpics/flats_wip_6.jpg
comments welcome, i love them - keeps me goin :)

ChimpanG
12-25-2005, 08:57 PM
oh my, I just opened my .max file to find that its corrupt or something of that sort, I have lost quite alot of work since I had merged it all into one max file.
things lost:
- Flats (apartment) type A (seen in above post image)
- Flats (apartment) type B
- Kids playground
- Some of the road
- some basic house placeholders
although all my props are still intact.
all my textures are still here too.

Since tomorrow is still a holiday and I will be at home all day tomorrow anyway I will dedicate all of tomorrow to speed modelling everything and hopefully catching up and/or passing where i was previously.
this would have been a bad thing (loosing all my work) but i decided to take it as a good thing, I am redoing it all at better quality. i hope.

Z-Brogue
12-25-2005, 11:22 PM
Do you have autoback setup, it could have made a backup. Another thing I usually try is merging the corrupted file into an empty scene it sometimes gets stuff back.

ChimpanG
12-26-2005, 12:01 PM
yeah i have autobackup but it didnt back this up, the max file i have is unopenable.
I might aswell restart, there were some corners i cut before and now i can do it better.

edit: I thought I'd get your opinion: you think i should model the entire building at 100% quality or only model what you see at high and everything else at low detail.
for example there are alot of stairs inside this building, i dont really want my player going into it (and its still just a portfolio piece anyway for images) would you model the hidden stairs as a slope and only do real stairs for what you can see or model them all properly?
+) i'd save polycount without visual effects
-) ??

carakong
12-28-2005, 01:38 AM
hey it's looking great so far, keep up the work, it would be great to see this one finished :)

CGTalk Moderation
12-28-2005, 01:38 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.