PDA

View Full Version : Its Not a Game

laureato di arte
12-17-2005, 05:33 PM
http://www.itsnotagame.org/

SheepFactory
12-17-2005, 05:38 PM
Is this something like "this is your brain on drugs" commercials?

gunslingerblack
12-17-2005, 06:16 PM
i think it's pretty funny that they have to make a commercial like that, but if it can reach the youth then it's brilliant.

well done

SpiralFace
12-17-2005, 06:27 PM
The question I have is that is their even a reason for it? I don't live in London, so if someone in the UK can share with us, Is their realy that big of a problem with youths copy catting violent video games and carrying knifes around like that?

I think its a good ad. I just wished I saw more of these kind of Ads around this area. Over here, we get about 3 anti marrajuana ads for every anti teen violence ad. I kind of find it sad, as teen and gang violence to me just seem like bigger fish to fry then marajuana. (Ironicaly I have'nt seen any "stop teen smokeing" ads for quite some time....)

JeroenDStout
12-17-2005, 06:43 PM
I think its a good ad. I just wished I saw more of these kind of Ads around this area. Over here, we get about 3 anti marrajuana ads for every anti teen violence ad. I kind of find it sad, as teen and gang violence to me just seem like bigger fish to fry then marajuana. (Ironicaly I have'nt seen any "stop teen smokeing" ads for quite some time....)
I second that - though Marijuana is legal here anyway ;). It's much better as all those styleless 'don't do violence' ads you usualy see.

kees
12-17-2005, 07:05 PM
though Marijuana is legal here anyway

Marijuana is NOT legal in the Netherlands. Small amounts are tolerated, but it is not legal.

(If you don't take my word for it, here's a website explaining the comon misconception about the Dutch drug policy (drugs are illegal, like everywhere else, the punishment is different however)
http://www.salon.com/health/feature/2000/03/13/dutch_drugs/)

-Kees

CupOWonton
12-17-2005, 07:54 PM
What a horrid ad. What they need is an add just showing these people stabbing eachother and the reprocussions. Not some stupid jab at videogames leading to violence.

Where are the "Dont bully your classmate" videos eh? Wheres the "Make sure your kids arent hiding drugs, guns, or illegal imigrants in their closet" videos?

If they Realy wanted to make a commercial about people carying knives, they'd show where it realy leads. Prison, being someones 'girlfriend'.

laureato di arte
12-17-2005, 08:11 PM
What a horrid ad. What they need is an add just showing these people stabbing eachother and the reprocussions. Not some stupid jab at videogames leading to violence.

Where are the "Dont bully your classmate" videos eh? Wheres the "Make sure your kids arent hiding drugs, guns, or illegal imigrants in their closet" videos?

If they Realy wanted to make a commercial about people carying knives, they'd show where it realy leads. Prison, being someones 'girlfriend'.

I dont think it is a jab at video games more like a jab at kids who cant tell the difference between violent games and real life. I think they are trying to simply try and get attention through an area that young people are interested in, kinda like if they were to use a cartoon or something like that. I remember a similar add about road safty, that was based in a video games proclaiming that you wont have an extra life.

laureato di arte
12-18-2005, 12:35 AM
The question I have is that is their even a reason for it? I don't live in London, so if someone in the UK can share with us, Is their realy that big of a problem with youths copy catting violent video games and carrying knifes around like that? )
Well in london there is something called the chav movement and acronym for Chounsil housed and Violent. Normally some people described as chavs get kicks outa binge drinking, and carry out something called happy slapping. This is where they walk along the streets and randomly attack people whilst filming on there mobile phones. Happy slapping started of as just slapping but as the videos began circulating on mobile phones, they would comit worst crimes, like seting people on fire killing animals, and even as far as rape. The more i look at this video the more i think it is directed at the so called Chav movement. This is not to say that everybody who lives in a Council house is violent.... i was raised in a council house.

JeroenDStout
12-18-2005, 12:41 AM
Marijuana is NOT legal in the Netherlands. Small amounts are tolerated, but it is not legal.

(If you don't take my word for it, here's a website explaining the comon misconception about the Dutch drug policy (drugs are illegal, like everywhere else, the punishment is different however)
http://www.salon.com/health/feature/2000/03/13/dutch_drugs/)

-Kees
Yeah, yeah, I know what technically is legal, but practically speaking marijuana is legal for usage here, just making it is not legal.. at any rate, it's time it became entirely legal, enough of the 'gedoogbeleid' we have now. Time for world-wide cannabis freedom! :)
Yes, get those bloody silly morals out of your way!

Heh, actually, a large majority of the city governers actually want it to be, Dutch government isn't even thinking about it, probably presure from the EU.

Ahhh, yes. Drugs, bad language and nudity, the absolute downfall of our nations, we need more violence and mindless soap operas and reality tv to compensate.

UrbanFuturistic
12-18-2005, 01:07 AM
What a horrid ad. What they need is an add just showing these people stabbing eachother and the reprocussions. Not some stupid jab at videogames leading to violence.I dont think it is a jab at video games more like a jab at kids who cant tell the difference between violent games and real life.It's neither, it's just a mechanism to deliver a message. One of the main problems with knifings is that the people involved often aren't aware how much damage knives cause and how fatal they can be from seemingly superficial wounds.

I mean, how many people know you can kill someone by stabbing them on the inside of their thigh? How many people would know to avoid that spot? How many people are aware that a seemingly superficial slashing can cause lasting damage?

...and yes, knives are much more of a problem than guns over here with PCs being more in need of knife-proof vests (bullet-proof vests won't actually stop a knife, it's different physics) and a lot of the problem is lack of knowledge but no-one's tried to imply that there's a connection with video games except for certain sections of the press on rare occassions.

regards, Paul

Harrad
12-18-2005, 01:26 AM
Yeah odubtaig your right.. its not ment to be don't copy games, its just trying to put in terms that teenage kids understand.

Knives are defanitly more of a problem over here, probabley quite a good comparision from the gun culture in big american citys to the knife culture here. (there is still guns but so many more knives). Even in portsmouth (which is quite a small city) theres always stabbings on the news.

Here in england we have a lot of "social" adverts like this, anti-smoking and anti drink-driving being the main targets of these. I really like the "don't drink drive" one running at the moment. (probabley the wrong words to use, I don't like it in a good way ... but its really effective!) Where the girl gets run over by the table in the pub by the bloke who has another drink. Shock tactics are usally the best way.

In the middle of the high street here, the poilce have also set up 2 cars that have been involved in a head on collision (compleatly wreaked) ... every one doing there christmas shopping has to walk past it. And there is a sign saying "Don't drink and drive this christmas!", It made me think about it... and i don't even drive!

laureato di arte
12-18-2005, 02:59 AM
Yeah odubtaig your right.. its not ment to be don't copy games, its just trying to put in terms that teenage kids understand.

Knives are defanitly more of a problem over here, probabley quite a good comparision from the gun culture in big american citys to the knife culture here. (there is still guns but so many more knives). Even in portsmouth (which is quite a small city) theres always stabbings on the news.

Here in england we have a lot of "social" adverts like this, anti-smoking and anti drink-driving being the main targets of these. I really like the "don't drink drive" one running at the moment. (probabley the wrong words to use, I don't like it in a good way ... but its really effective!) Where the girl gets run over by the table in the pub by the bloke who has another drink. Shock tactics are usally the best way.

In the middle of the high street here, the poilce have also set up 2 cars that have been involved in a head on collision (compleatly wreaked) ... every one doing there christmas shopping has to walk past it. And there is a sign saying "Don't drink and drive this christmas!", It made me think about it... and i don't even drive!

yea i think at times shock tactics can work in advertising, but i think not only violent games but media in general has desensitised allot of young ones to the actual effect of thngs. I also agree with the post that, a good way would be to show more of the repercusions of a killing, to try and get people to imagine if it was them or some one they loved in the situation...

Maverick3d
12-18-2005, 03:30 AM
I think the video might not convey the message they want, given the scenrio they present.

They intend the audience to identify with the first kid shown so let's say he didn't have a knife.

He would still have been accosted by the three other guys, and cut by the guy in the red hat who was carrying the knife. They were acting agressive from the start so there's no reason to think they weren't going to attack him even if he didn't pull a knife.

If nobody was carrying a knife... well it was still 3 on one so the first kid would still get a beat down.

Al least the way it went in the video, the first kid could try to claim self-defense in court.

To me the video says: You might go to jail for carrying a knife, but if you don't you'll end up cut by the guy who is.

Perhaps they should have had the first kid pull the knife, the other three run and then the police show up and arrest the first kid for having a concealed weapon.

JeroenDStout
12-18-2005, 03:43 AM
I think the video might not convey the message they want, given the scenrio they present.

They intend the audience to identify with the first kid shown so ley's say didn't have a knife.

He would still have been accosted by the three other guys, and cut by the guy in the red hat who was carrying the knife. They were acting agressive from the start so there's no reason to think they weren't going to attack him even if he didn't pull a knife.

If nobody was carrying a knife... well it was still 3 on one so the first kid would still get a beat down.

Al least the way it went in the video, the first kid could try to claim self-defense in court.

To me the video says: You might go to jail for carrying a knife, but if you don't you'll end up cut by the guy who is.

Perhaps they should have had the first kid pull the knife, the other three run and then the police show up and arrest the first kid for having a concealed weapon.
I hadn't even looked at it like that.. yes, you're right. What an odd mistake to make, the other kids were clearly the agressors.

A. Wright
12-18-2005, 03:46 AM

They intend the audience to identify with the first kid shown so ley's say didn't have a knife.

You got a point, i didnt even think of that. The story is pretty flawed in that way.

atzfratz
12-18-2005, 10:50 AM

They intend the audience to identify with the first kid shown so let's say he didn't have a knife.

i think your quite wrong when you think being lyricly offended justifies pulling out a knife.
If he wouldn`t have that knife he would probably just turned around and run away. But he was the one pulling out a weapon and the other ones acting more or less in self defence. they could have run away too. So i think the clip nails it quite good.

To turn around just wouldnt be cool , and wearing a weapon should make everyone afraid of you. But the moment he pulled out the knife it got to another level. At first the other guys probably just wanted to frighten the guy but now he is in serious trouble because he took it to that other level.

If he had that knife for self defence he would have kept it hidden and used it if they attacked him, but he wanted to scare them away. And thats exactly the point.

Maverick3d
12-18-2005, 05:23 PM
i think your quite wrong when you think being lyricly offended justifies pulling out a knife....At first the other guys probably just wanted to frighten the guy but now he is in serious trouble because he took it to that other level.

If he had that knife for self defence he would have kept it hidden and used it if they attacked him, but he wanted to scare them away. And thats exactly the point.

Watch the video again. First the three just say something to him, but THEN the guy in the red hat lays hands on him. The second there's physical contact, it goes from just being verbally abusive to an assault. Running or walking away isn't an option because up to that point, they've given every indication that they're going to go at this guy.

The fact is that when the first kid pulls the knife he's visibly scared and says "Easy.." He is backing away.

But as the red hat kid pulls his knife he issues another threat and advances. This shows the red hat kid is looking for trouble, given that he's trying to escalate the situation.

At this point, if the first kid tries to make a break for it he's going to get a knife in his back.

You're entitled to you opinion, but I still think the situation they present is flawed. Having been place in a similar scene myself, I can't help thinking this kid was at least partially justified given what we saw. Being attacked by a group (or thinking you're being attacked by a group, given the other two guys didn't really act) is much different than someone calling you out to fight. You go into survival mode and it's fight or flight.

Frankly the kids biggest mistake is that he picked the wrong shortcut that day.

greenj2
12-19-2005, 02:00 AM
After watching the video for a second time I have to say I totally agree with Maverick3d's theory of the story being flawed. The kid in the red hat seems to be the aggressor throughout the story, even to the point of being the first one to swipe at the main character with a knife. Perhaps the audience is meant to believe that both kids suffer as a result of carrying knives. But it seemed like the main character came off second best in the eyes of the law. Given the chosen storyline there probably should have been more focus on the consequences of the red hat kids actions.

CGTalk Moderation
12-19-2005, 02:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.