PDA

View Full Version : Dual Pentium II 450mhz = Pentium 4 1.8ghz ?

czen3D
02-28-2002, 10:44 AM
I need to upgrade my computer, but I'm not sure about the CPU speed.

How much faster a Pentium 4 1.8ghz compare to a dual Pentium II 450mhz ??

jscott
03-01-2002, 04:57 AM
While the 1.8 P4 is of course theoretically faster than your dual 450 I think if you don't migrate to another dual system you will be disappointed. If you are accustomed to dual processors it can be a pain sometimes to work on a single CPU system. Not because single CPU systems suck itís just that you are already spoiled :) .

The dual system multi-tasks so much better since you have that other CPU to handle the annoying background tasks that make you wait when you think you should be waiting on a single CPU system. In addition being able to assign a non multi-threaded app to run exclusively on the second processor frees up the first one exclusively for other tasks.

Today I had 3ds max compiling 4500 frames into an .avi while I worked all day on the 1st processor without any loss in performance. It was like having two computers.

Sure, for flat out speed in a straight line the P4 1.8 is faster and will defiantly be an upgrade. But, donít be surprised if you take a small hit in usability. With the high price of Intelís Dual Xenon setups you may want to consider a Dual Athlon setup.

Iíd take a small hit in MHZ for a dual system any day.

-jscott

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 02:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.