12-16-2005, 08:33 PM
http://www.apple.com/trailers/wb/v_for_vendetta/trailer/

gavin_hughes
12-16-2005, 11:57 PM
oh god....

*pukes

CupOWonton
12-17-2005, 12:33 AM
Its like, the matrix meets the league of extraordinary men.

... why are there no "disgusts" or "puke" emoticons?

laureato di arte
12-17-2005, 12:58 AM
i aint even seen it yet, I am having problems with quicktime.

Layer01
12-17-2005, 01:11 AM
woah. given the first two replies i was expecting something horrid. it wasnt nearly that bad. any semblance to the matrix is i bet largly due to the trailer and the scenes they chose to show/the order in which they show them. i dont think the movie looks or feels like the league of extraordinary men or the matrix at all. unless maybe you think all movies set in england are like the league and all trailers that have a "hero-accepting-their-challange-in-a-corny-way" scene in them to be like the matrix. i bet if it hadn't had "produced by the [blah blah] matrix trilogy" in the trailer you wouldn't have thought of the matrix at all.

on the subject of the trailer, looks interesting, espesialy in this day and age ( i dont think a movie like this set in america would ever be made by the studios, surprised they made this one actually seeing as how "thingy" the US gets about these things.)
i'll wait till i see the movie to pass jusgment, though i think it will just be a fun action thriller with cool explosions lol :p
but thats sounds ok to me.

Enayla
12-17-2005, 01:14 AM
V for Vendetta is one of my favourites, from when I was younger - it's dark and beautiful all at once.

I'm ashamed to say I really like the look of the trailer. I think this will be fun. I hope it does justice to the darkness of the original comic, and I think it might. I say this even though I really, really didn't like the second and third Matrix movies and the same team is on this - I'm just going to go ahead and give them the benefit of a doubt. The story is just that nifty.

Layer01
12-17-2005, 01:59 AM
I'm ashamed to say I really like the look of the trailer. I think this will be fun.

Why are you ashamed? thats just stupid, if you like it you like, thats all there is to it.
and if by team you mean the wachowski brothers then yes, but as far as i know they are only producing this film. i think everyone needs to just grow up and get over the whole matrix 2-3 thing. they wern't that good, get over it..move on with your lives. stop judging this film on the basis of another completely unrelated one.

Enayla
12-17-2005, 02:08 AM
Er, mister, I just said that I'm giving them the benefit of a doubt. What's up with this 'get on with your lives'? Please, chill. There's no need to get all riled up over nothing.

Also, if I'm inclined to feel a little ashamed over getting totally excited about yet another comic book movie, it's not stupid. Just give it a rest and stop trying to start an argument.

Bonedaddy
12-17-2005, 02:13 AM
Love the comic. Skeptical about the movie. Hear good things. Hoping for good things.

gavin_hughes
12-17-2005, 02:15 AM
Just give it a rest and stop trying to start an argument.

hehe. ive seen a lot of those posts lately. some ppl just like to create arguments that are not even there.

but seriously, the movie will tank. :twisted:

thatoneguy
12-17-2005, 02:17 AM
Another Gavin!! WOOHOO!

anyway... Looks like it's going to be good. First trailer looked better, but this one by no means looks "bad".

Bonedaddy
12-17-2005, 02:17 AM
but seriously, the movie will tank. :twisted:

I thought so too, but I have been hearing surprisingly good things about it. Aint It Cool News (not the best website in the world, but still) has been posting numerous glowing reviews from people who thought the trailers sucked harder than a dehydrated hooker.

ivanisavich
12-17-2005, 02:35 AM
Not my type of movie...but it still looks good :)

Seems like sort of a zorro/matrix/equilibrium/the island/GI-Jane/punisher/maid in manhatten conglomeration ;)

Grim Beefer
12-17-2005, 02:49 AM
V for Vendetta was one of my favorite Alan Moore comics, and I really hope they don't underplay the fact that V is an anarchist. The central theme of the story was Moore's endorsement of anarchism; his personal rebuttal of the impending dystopian facists. It's interesting that John Hurt is in the film considering his role in Micheal Radford's "1984". I'm not crazy about the zany camera angles, but V was supposed to be a performance artist at heart I suppose.

SheepFactory
12-17-2005, 03:14 AM
This kind of films are becoming as repetitive as the usual "the once bigtime couch makes a mistake , becomes drunk and has to redeem himself by couching the high school team made up of losers" type films.

talos72
12-17-2005, 03:24 AM
It is no accident that V's logo resembles that of the anarchists. I have a feeling Moore has already disowned this film too as he mentioned in an article that he is pretty much done with dealing with film making and directors. He mentioned every one of movie translations based on his writings basically sucked as far as he is concerned. I have to agree. Last one being Constantine which was poorly done (albeit some nice vfx) with the director basically gutting the original books (somehow changing Constantine's origins and location seemed trivial to the film-maker).

Still, I don't remember seeing so many explosions in the comic book! The pace of the book seemed very measured while the film (based on what the preview provides) comes accross as "yet another vigilante" flick.

Leebre
12-17-2005, 04:29 AM
The Matrix similarities might not be too much of a surprise since the Wachowski brothers wrote and produced V. It's hard to make any value judgements based on a trailer alone, unless it's something like this (http://www.fantasticfilmsinternational.com/new_detailed.html) :eek:...but this trailer does a good job of establishing a strong setting, mood, and theme. Looks pretty promising to me.

gunslingerblack
12-17-2005, 05:55 AM
i liked it, and i will be seeing it. it looks like a pretty good action movie, and given the times it's got a good message too...

also if u watched league of extraordinary gentlemen for what it was, a fun action movie, it was enjoyable, in my opinion.

rocarpen
12-17-2005, 06:51 AM
I actually preferred the first trailer (http://www.apple.com/trailers/wb/v_for_vendetta/), which I think had better music, pacing, etc.

As others have mentioned, the Aint it Cool reviewers (there have been a few) have called this their favourite movie of the year. High praise from fellow geeks. Here's some excerpts:

V For Vendetta was not just the single greatest film experience I had at BNAT. Rather, it is the Single Greatest Film I’ve seen all year. It is an utterly perfect, flawless film, ripe for debate and ready to be argued. It is a comic book adaptation of material now 23 years old, and yet, it could not have been made at a better, more relevant, more appropriate time. This is a film about revolution, a film about police states and terrorism.

V For Vendetta is an instant classic – a work of true genius. And the only thing that pisses me off about it is that I have to wait another three months to see it again. I hope Warner Brothers is taking this time to print up Guy Faulks masks to hand out at every press screening of this film. There’s nothing that makes me smile more than the idea of seeing five hundred people walk out of this film wearing the masks. You want Press Warners? You want to hype this? Do that. And watch Fox simply shit themselves.

http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=22020

Sagii
12-17-2005, 07:18 AM
I liked the first trailer better.... I am definelty going to go see this one, it looks good to me. I have not read the comic so I dont have any expectations or even know what the character/story is all about. Since I grew up in a country that had a lot of goverment corruption as well as evil and devastating terrorism I am curious to see how they are going to make the terrorist into the hero. It will be interesting to hear the other side of the story.

dogyears
12-17-2005, 08:06 AM
Another irony about the trailer is it's extremely americanized take on what was supposed to be a British superhero. The trailer didn't look all that bad though. Hmmm.

animalunae
12-17-2005, 08:24 AM
I really like the first trailer, I'm at school now so I can't watch this one here, since they don't allow for me to install Q7... anyway, I like the dark mood of this one better then the candy comic style of the other comic book movies. Not saying I didn't like those, this will be more my style I think... can't wait to see it honestly... Also, after SW I didnt like Portman as well as I did after Leon, but she might have been redeemed by this one! *grin*

*Edit* Linda, I've never seen you this angry *yikes* :)

chrisWhite
12-17-2005, 08:49 AM
Looks kinda cool, I know nothing about the comics, but some interesting worldview studies. So this is originally by the same guy who makes (made) Constantine? Interesting indeed. I'm going to have to look into the back story here.

Edit: Is it just me, or does Portman look like she might do a little acting in this one?

maxx10
12-17-2005, 10:54 AM
Looks kinda cool, I know nothing about the comics, but some interesting worldview studies. So this is originally by the same guy who makes (made) Constantine? Interesting indeed. I'm going to have to look into the back story here.

Alan Moore is the author of many comics that turned into movies like From Hell (the only one that's at least on par with the comic), Constantine (enjoyable movie but the comic is far better) The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (the movie is nothing like the comic... worst adaptation ever IMHO), V for Vendetta (Moore himself isn't happy with how the movie turned out....) and the upcoming Watchmen (hopefully they'll do the comic justice but it's going to be very hard)

animalunae
12-17-2005, 11:20 AM
Is it just me, or does Portman look like she might do a little acting in this one?

I was thinking the same! So it might even be happening, let's remember this day!

Layer01
12-17-2005, 01:29 PM
Er, mister, I just said that I'm giving them the benefit of a doubt. What's up with this 'get on with your lives'? Please, chill. There's no need to get all riled up over nothing.

Also, if I'm inclined to feel a little ashamed over getting totally excited about yet another comic book movie, it's not stupid. Just give it a rest and stop trying to start an argument.

what the hell are you talking about?
i'm not out to start an argument, i was at first expressing my opinion that the first two posts were not warrented, and then you're post seemd like you were saying it was shamefull to like the trailer, and it seemed to me (from you post) that it was because of the matrix movies and i was meerly pointing out that its about time people stopped going on about those movies, no matter how bad they were (bar the first, wich was great).
the "get on with your lives" was not intended to be taken literaly, and not aimed at you even.
lol i'm no fight starter, i was just annoyed at the first two post and then yours seemed to back them up thats all :)

sorry if i offended or came of a little harsh, my bad.
have some emoticons to make up for any hard feelings ;)

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

EDIT:
LOL just came back and read this again. and it occured to me that even this may sound harsh or whatever. its not. its just late and i'm sleepy...

rocarpen
12-17-2005, 04:05 PM

Edit: Is it just me, or does Portman look like she might do a little acting in this one?

You know, she's actually been an extremely good actress in everything I've ever seen her in, with the glaring exception of the Star Wars prequels. She was awesome in Garden State, for example. It's too bad that most folks only know her as Amidala.

lukx
12-17-2005, 04:08 PM
Natalie Portman :yuck:

SheepFactory
12-17-2005, 05:11 PM
You know, she's actually been an extremely good actress in everything I've ever seen her in, with the glaring exception of the Star Wars prequels. She was awesome in Garden State, for example. It's too bad that most folks only know her as Amidala.

Agreed ,She was awesome in "closer" too.

Bonedaddy
12-17-2005, 05:40 PM
Yeah, I am not sure how they're going to handle the whole Guy Fawkes parallel. I mean, how many of you (esp. the non-British here) realized that V's mask is a Guy Fawkes mask? Or even know who Guy Fawkes is? It's cool, I didn't know until I read the book, myself. It's interesting and adds a lot of weight and class to the work, but I worry they'll just gloss over it in the movie.

laureato di arte
12-17-2005, 08:43 PM
got my quicktime fixed, i have seen the trailer, looks pretty cool, it didnt have same heavy feeling in the heart that I get when i see an action movie trailer but it was aite all the same.

chrisWhite
12-17-2005, 09:46 PM

You're right, she was fine in Garden State, I haven't seen anything else from her though besides Star Wars.

rocarpen
12-17-2005, 10:28 PM
You're right, she was fine in Garden State, I haven't seen anything else from her though besides Star Wars.

Check out Leon (aka: The Professional), and Closer.

laureato di arte
12-18-2005, 03:08 AM
Check out Leon

that was a good film

CGTalk Moderation
12-18-2005, 03:08 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.