PDA

View Full Version : HDRI, Vray...Confusion??

Aleoxide
12-16-2005, 05:39 PM
Hey guys, lately i have found all this rendering stuff to get confusing. I have Final Render for 3ds max but I have found that there is vray, hdri and others. I really have no clue about lighting because i use Dreamscape and there is a built in sunlight that works with the water i use. I am confused, is hdri and vray a lighting or is it a way of rendering. I dont expect a long explanation but if you guys could point me in the right direction it would be very apprechiated. I would like to get away from Dreamscape because i cannot get a cartoony look with it and i cannot styalize enough with it and thats what art is all about. Thanks for your time ( and where do i get HDRI, if it comes with max i cannot find it? lol i sound like a hardcore rookie)

Augh
12-16-2005, 09:27 PM
Vray is a 3rd party rendering suite which plugs into max. Very powerful, can be very fast too.
HDRI stands for High Dynamic Range Image, and is a filetype and/or technique for lighting scenes, generating reflections, and so forth. Google can tell you a lot about it, and even where to score some HDRI files to try out on your scenes. It is basically the idea of wrapping a picture around your scene to reflect onto it, or cast global lighting onto it, you can plug it into lights, drop it into the reflection slot of materials, so on and so forth. Poor explanation but that's the basics of it.

Hope that sheds some light for you. Cheers :thumbsup:

CGTalk Moderation
12-16-2005, 09:27 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.