PDA

View Full Version : Rumors resurface of Disney buying Pixar

RobertoOrtiz
12-16-2005, 01:50 PM
Quote:
"There is another, more fanciful, theory buoying Pixar's share price, though: Disney could buy Pixar and make it, in effect, Disney's animated-film division. That idea has been floated in recent research reports, including several by Credit Suisse First Boston analyst William Drewry, who doesn't own any Pixar shares and has an outperform rating on the stock. Mr. Drewry further speculated that Pixar's chief executive, Steve Jobs, could become a member of the Disney board and a significant shareholder in the media giant. CSFB has provided investment-banking services to Pixar of Emeryville, Calif.

According to people familiar with the talks, Pixar and Disney of Burbank, Calif., are still toying with a broad range of options. For instance, these people say, one idea that has been kicked around by the companies is that Pixar could sell Disney a minority stake or give Disney a participation in the performance of its movies in exchange for sequel rights to Pixar's existing library of films, including "Finding Nemo" and "The Incredibles." It has long irked Mr. Jobs that Disney controls the sequel rights to his movies. However, such an option would be complex to pull off. A Pixar spokesman and a Disney spokeswoman declined to comment."

>>LINK<< (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05349/622919.stm)
-r

Pixlmonky
12-16-2005, 02:33 PM
Didn't Disney build a facility and hire staff for a new "sequel" devision to take care of 3D sequels? If so, what would happen to those jobs if Pixar becomes "Disney's animated-film division". I could be completely wrong here. Hopefully someone could shed some light on this.

Nemoid
12-16-2005, 03:32 PM
NNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

This would be the end for Pixar

FloydBishop
12-16-2005, 05:12 PM
NNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

This would be the end for Pixar

No it wouldn't. Without Disney's early support and financial contributions, Pixar wouldn't exist as it is right now. Disney buying Pixar would cement an existing relationship.

The guy and girl who have been living together (and who have had a few kids together) may be finally getting married.

I would hope that the relationship is better than when Fox bought Blue Sky. All past history looks like it would be.

Breton
12-16-2005, 05:26 PM
another sell! :eek:

well, maybe the end of the world is here, and the aliens will buy the entire planet!! :scream:

mummey
12-16-2005, 05:37 PM
http://i.timeinc.net/time/daily/special/photo/siralec/obiwan.jpg

It was as if a thousand Pixar Fan-boys cried out, then silence...

Emmanuel
12-16-2005, 07:43 PM
I mean, as living in a grayscale world where there are shades between black and white, I think it could actually work well for both sides.
But I also think that the newly created animation division at D. will be able to keep up with the competition and I think they should not be "replaced" with Pixar again.
It would seem rather strange to have an inhouse animation division and a publishing deal with Pixar who is actually competition to the inhouse team, right ?

mangolass
12-16-2005, 09:10 PM
The two companies have such different management styles and priorities. In the areas where they conflict ~ like over whether to flood the market with more films, lots of cheap sequels, or whether each film should be a unique special event ~ an aquisition could mean that Disney management got to win all those battles. Being a separate company, Pixar could do projects that Disney management didn't believe in, like Finding Nemo and The Incredibles. If they got pwned by Disney, they wouldn't really be Pixar anymore.

LT

chrisWhite
12-16-2005, 10:13 PM
I'm not sure Pixar could save Disney, but I sure as heck know Disney could destroy Pixar. :cry:

Beamtracer
12-17-2005, 01:12 AM
I think it could really happen.

Disney would love to own Pixar, and would make it more Disney-like.

We know that Disney likes to make sequels. We know that Steve Jobs doesn't like the thought of Disney making endless sequels out of Pixar products, in fact Jobs said the thought of it makes him feel sick.

Quote from Animated News, 2004:
http://www.whatsoutnext.com/images/steve_jobs.jpg
"We feel sick about Disney doing sequels", Jobs said. "If you look at the quality of their sequels, such as Lion King 1 1/2 and (the Peter Pan sequel Return to Neverland), it's pretty embarrassing".
http://www.animated-news.com/archives/00000819.html

So we see the current tension between Steve Jobs and Disney regarding sequels. If Disney just buys out Pixar it would remove Jobs from the equation, and would then free Disney up to make as many sequels as they want out of future Pixar movies.

It would also allow Disney to gain more control over the story lines and characters of future Pixar movies. The subject matter could then be approved by the Disney management before it goes into production.

It would enable Disney to give Pixar that "Disney touch".

FUG1T1VE
12-17-2005, 01:30 AM
Heres to one day working at Dixar :beer: :wip:

Nichod
12-17-2005, 05:42 AM
The two companies have such different management styles and priorities. In the areas where they conflict ~ like over whether to flood the market with more films, lots of cheap sequels, or whether each film should be a unique special event ~ an aquisition could mean that Disney management got to win all those battles. Being a separate company, Pixar could do projects that Disney management didn't believe in, like Finding Nemo and The Incredibles. If they got pwned by Disney, they wouldn't really be Pixar anymore. ITS THE END OF THE WORLD......OMG!!! AGGH!

Get over it. Disney owns a great many companies under its umbrella (many most don't know about) and just because a company is owned by Disney doesn't mean it won't run independent from Disney, likely they would maintain their own staff , management etc.

Disney itself isn't that bad. They have some talented people working for them. Its management that sucks. Anyway. My 2 cents.

rakmaya
12-17-2005, 02:16 PM
ITS THE END OF THE WORLD......OMG!!! AGGH!

Disney itself isn't that bad. They have some talented people working for them. Its management that sucks. Anyway. My 2 cents.

Well that is all you need to create the worst titles. If the management sucks then there is no point in having the world's best animators.

However, I think if the Pixar were to act independently after this, then it wouldn't be a problem and infact it would be benefitial (cost wise) for both people. But that is my good will thinking.

rocarpen
12-17-2005, 03:18 PM
To me, the interesting part is the following: "Steve Jobs, could become a member of the Disney board and a significant shareholder in the media giant".

Does that ring any bells to the rest of you? Something about a little company called NeXT and a buyer called Apple? What would a Disney run by Steve Jobs look like, I wonder.

joshmckenzie
12-17-2005, 03:30 PM
If Disney did buy Pixar, I imagine they'd let them operate fairly independently and Pixar would probably set some pre-conditions for any sale. What Disney is likely to do (and they do it already to some extent) is milk Pixar's characters for every possible piece of merchandise they can manage.

And don't forget that John Lasseter and others at Pixar see themselves as part of the animation tradition that Disney pioneered, so while Pixar might not like the managment decisions or direction Disney takes, I don't think they are hostile to Disney as a whole.

I also think that Disney's marketing muscle appeals to Pixar - few other studios can match it. When Disney want to promote a movie, they know how to make sure everyone knows its on release (of course, that type of saturation marketing isn't to everyone's taste). Even Brad Bird thanked the Disney marketing team in his Oscar speech for their efforts in promoting The Incredibles.

Emmanuel
12-17-2005, 05:34 PM
Wait a minute, everyone knew about Ep3 coming, everyone knew about Kong, everyone knew about Batman, how was Disney's promotion soooo way above the competition ?
The ONLY thing that really made thise campaign work was "From the creators of Toy Story and Finding Nemo", so actually, the big promo factor for Pixar was...Pixar ?
I mean "Disney pictures presents..." is really just some noise in the background compared to "..creators of Finding Nemo".
I guess NewLine or Fox would be able to achieve the same amount of public awareness.
Maybe Disney is good at distributing DVDs and action figures, but apart from that I have yet to see where Big D was so superior.
I didn't rescue Treasure Planet, Home at the range or Brother Bear...

joshmckenzie
12-17-2005, 08:12 PM
Wait a minute, everyone knew about Ep3 coming, everyone knew about Kong, everyone knew about Batman, how was Disney's promotion soooo way above the competition ?

Disney spend a lot of money on merchandising and tie-ins with other companies. That sort of promotional push is probably bigger in the U.S. than anywhere else, but it also means maximum exposure for the movie, particularly for the family audiences these films are aimed at. Take at look at their promotional efforts for The Incredibles (http://www.kokogiak.com/incredibles/default.asp).

Nichod
12-17-2005, 11:44 PM
Disney spend a lot of money on merchandising and tie-ins with other companies. That sort of promotional push is probably bigger in the U.S. than anywhere else, but it also means maximum exposure for the movie, particularly for the family audiences these films are aimed at. Take at look at their promotional efforts for The Incredibles (http://www.kokogiak.com/incredibles/default.asp). That was a beautiful response. :buttrock:

joshmckenzie
12-18-2005, 01:43 PM
That was a beautiful response.

Thank you:)

GpG
12-18-2005, 02:40 PM
noooooooooooooooooooo

that is unfair

mangolass
12-19-2005, 09:41 PM
If Disney did buy Pixar, I imagine they'd let them operate fairly independently and Pixar would probably set some pre-conditions for any sale. What Disney is likely to do (and they do it already to some extent) is milk Pixar's characters for every possible piece of merchandise they can manage.

And don't forget that John Lasseter and others at Pixar see themselves as part of the animation tradition that Disney pioneered, so while Pixar might not like the managment decisions or direction Disney takes, I don't think they are hostile to Disney as a whole.

I also think that Disney's marketing muscle appeals to Pixar - few other studios can match it. When Disney want to promote a movie, they know how to make sure everyone knows its on release (of course, that type of saturation marketing isn't to everyone's taste). Even Brad Bird thanked the Disney marketing team in his Oscar speech for their efforts in promoting The Incredibles.

It's funny ~ the only reasons you give as advantages of a buy out are really just advantages to them doing a new distribution deal together ~ which is probably what's going to happen.

John Lasseter quit his job at Disney, even though he was a young animator and Disney had a monopoly on animation, to avoid working for Disney management.

LT

punnw01
12-19-2005, 11:45 PM
listening to this thread talk about what disney and pixar should do is like listening to celebrities talk about the war in iraq. it's so fascinating!!! i can't get enough.

CGTalk Moderation
12-19-2005, 11:45 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.