PDA

View Full Version : problems with symmetry modelling

danshewan
12-16-2005, 12:24 PM
Hey guys,

I'm trying to develop my C4D skills, particularly with regards to character modelling. I bought the Cinema 4D Artist's Project Resource Book by Anne Powers (highly recommended for the newbies out there), and am currently attempting to model my first head using the symmetry tool.

The problem I'm encountering is when I try to begin shaping the nose. The tute says to extrude the polys firstly by 10, and then 5. I do this, but after extruding the nose polys are already starting to curve outwards slightly (towards the ear). I tried manually adjusting the points to be more central (and yep, I did set an edge selection so I could reposition the points to point 0), but then when I test render the image, I end up with this horrible 'mold line' where the points meet. If I continue with the tute as normal (without intervening adjustments), either side of the nose looks great, just with a horrid gap in the middle of it where the extruded nose polys have veered towards the ears!

I'm already finding this most frustrating, since I'm so early on in the modelling process. Even the slightest adjustments seem to result in this 'mold line' where the two halves of the symmetry object meet. Any ideas / alternative modelling techniques for creating heads?

boxy
12-16-2005, 01:06 PM
Sounds like you might need to select and delete the polygons 'down the side' which were created when you extruded (switch off symmetry and you should see them). I'd have thought this would be the next logical step in your tutorial? Once you've done this use the 'set point value' tool to reposition the remaining points exactly at 0.
See selected polys in image below.
Boxy

http://www.savbox.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/posts/1.jpg

danshewan
12-16-2005, 01:30 PM
sorry Boxy, I should have mentioned that I already did that (as per the tute), and still the nose deviates and veers off towards the ear. I correct the edge selection points value to 0 (after deleting the newly-formed polys when extruding), and I still end up with that bloody 'mold line'.

boxy
12-16-2005, 01:34 PM
Maybe when you were using set point value you also accidently selected other points and set other axes values? Could you post a screenshot? Might be easier to see what is going on.
Cheers
boxy

danshewan
12-16-2005, 01:38 PM
Well, I will post a screenshot detailing the problem, but I'm at work right now and don't have access to the scene files - I really appreciate your advice though, Boxy, and I'd appreciate it if you could keep your eye out on this thread sometime over the weekend to cast your eye over what I'm doing wrong? Cheers mate.

AdamT
12-16-2005, 02:02 PM
What you need to do there is set the extrusion depth to 0 and pull the newly-created polys out with the axis gizmo (or in a left/right view).

boxy
12-16-2005, 02:17 PM
Well, I will post a screenshot detailing the problem, but I'm at work right now and don't have access to the scene files - I really appreciate your advice though, Boxy, and I'd appreciate it if you could keep your eye out on this thread sometime over the weekend to cast your eye over what I'm doing wrong? Cheers mate.

If I can help I Will :)
hey thanks for the tip Adam!
Boxy

Anadin
12-16-2005, 02:28 PM
Also, you may have some rogue points in there from the polys you deleted, go to point mode, select all of them and then goto Functions|Optimise, click OK and the 'spare' ones will be deleted!

SockGardener
12-16-2005, 02:35 PM
If you've got Mesh Surgery (for v8.x only) the Mirror Vice Tag is great for this kind of symmetry modelling. It will keep the loop of centre points locked to the axis and also kill any polys created on the axis by extruding.

danshewan
12-16-2005, 02:46 PM
If you've got Mesh Surgery (for v8.x only) the Mirror Vice Tag is great for this kind of symmetry modelling.

I'm running version 8.2 - is Mesh Surgery a free plugin? If so, where can I get it? And mucho gratitude for everyone's help and advice.

boxy
12-16-2005, 03:30 PM
If you've got Mesh Surgery (for v8.x only) the Mirror Vice Tag is great for this kind of symmetry modelling. It will keep the loop of centre points locked to the axis and also kill any polys created on the axis by extruding.

Sigh, I miss those days, roll on MS for 9.5 :)
Boxy

Edit - MS is not free but it is worth every penny.
Boxy

Jimstein
12-16-2005, 03:50 PM
What makes Mesh Surgery a need? Can't I do most of its stuff with the tool set in cinema 9.x? Is it speedier? Or is it some functionality in particular that C4D lack?

danshewan
12-16-2005, 04:01 PM
Jimstein raises some good questions - I just went to price it up, and 150 (around 120) seems a bit much for what it seems to do. Maybe I'm just not appreciating what it can do for modelling and workflow. I dunno, that's why I posted in the first place! Oh my God, I've created a monster...

AdamT
12-16-2005, 04:22 PM
Mesh Surgery added to R8 a lot of the functionality that was later added to R9, so it's not quite the big deal it was back then. It still does a few nice things that R9 can't do, like superflange, move points edges along normals, nicer falloffs/soft selections, better edge loops, etc. Alas, it doesn't work in R9+.

snelephant
12-16-2005, 06:53 PM
As a fellow newcomer to 3D modeling and C4D I encountered the same persistent problem in my first project and never found a solution. While using the symmetry tool to model a spherical object I found I was unable to create a seamless transition between the working and reflected halves of the object across the plane of symmetry. No amount of massaging or "point zeroing" smoothed out the seam. I should mention that the object was placed within a hypernurbs before it was reflected.

http://www.snipermarathon.net/content/faq/

Is it likely that my undesired "symmetry crease" and the problem described in the original post have the same cause?

Darter
12-17-2005, 03:42 AM
It looks like you have the Symmetry object above the HyperNURBS in the OM. Try changing the hierarchy to:
HyperNURBS
- Symmetry
-- Mesh

CGTalk Moderation
12-17-2005, 03:42 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.