PDA

View Full Version : Certification useful in games industry?

marque-pierre
12-16-2005, 01:10 PM
I am considering getting an Adobe Certified Expert certificate in Photoshop. This is of course to further and help my career. Do any of you guys from the games industry certifications of any kind, and do you think it is of any value career wise in the games industry?

BoBo-the-seal
12-16-2005, 02:46 PM
Honestly the only useful thing in the game industry (as far as artist goes) is talent and ability. Everything else is nice to have but doesn't really matter at all.

- BoBo

marque-pierre
12-16-2005, 02:53 PM
Yeah, I know portfolio will trump everything else. Still, every little edge... Dunno, if there is no value in it then...:shrug:

itsallgoode9
12-16-2005, 02:59 PM
i would say go for it and take the test. it's not very expensive and is somthing that most people won't have. The way I look at it (same way as when someone asks whether a college degree is worth it) is that if you are in a pile of identically qulaified people, what is going to make you stand out? On a personal note, if I were an employer and I saw somebody's resume and they were Adobe Certified, that would make them really stand out to me since i've known about the tests and realize that you really need to know your shit to be certified. Whereas you could have a college degree on there, and end up knowing next to nothing about PS. On the other hand, i'm sure the majority don't realize what adobe certification is, or what it means.

AdamAtomic
12-16-2005, 05:00 PM
games industry? no.

graphic design industry? definitely.

you may not be a game artist forever, and you may find its easier to snag a cozy graphic design job than it is to get a game artist position, depending on where you live, etc. I really think it couldn't hurt if you have the time and opportunity!

marque-pierre
12-16-2005, 05:41 PM
That is an interesting perspective. I wonder if it would carry any weight in the film industry?:eek:

mindrot
12-16-2005, 07:58 PM
Honestly the only useful thing in the game industry (as far as artist goes) is talent and ability. Everything else is nice to have but doesn't really matter at all.

- BoBo

Gotta agree with Bobo... but, if it's going to help you develop as an artist then go for it. Then again there are tons of useful and free tutorials on the net.

toastie
12-16-2005, 09:27 PM
I personally dont think that it's useful at all. In fact, I think that it even might be harmful. If you have a really strong portfolio and no certification, it's clear that you're a self-motivated artist that really knows what he's doing. If your projects are so-so and you have all these certifications, it makes it seem like you're just trying hard to make yourself sound good on paper.

And I would have to disagree with Adam, it's probably even more useless (less useful?) in the graphic design field, where alot of hype is given to big name schools and technical certifications are kind of scoffed at.

It all reeks a little bit of "Become an expert in 3 easy steps" if you know what I mean. Your technical skills should be apparent from the second someone looks at your work and any kind of certifications matter absolutely none.

So, study more, perfect your skill and dont waste time on useless technical certifications.

AdamAtomic
12-16-2005, 09:35 PM
I only mentioned graphic design because I know a VERY successful designer who does a lot of major advertising work whose ACE credentials have definitely been a boon to his career. He gets some sweet contracts and is the art director at a pretty big company right now...i'm not saying there is a causal relationship there, but in talking with him he has mentioned that the ACE stuff specifically has helped him appear like a more legitimate designer.

CGTalk Moderation
12-16-2005, 09:35 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.