PDA

View Full Version : Ubisoft blunder

BoydLake
12-16-2005, 06:06 AM
Ubisoft fails to test King Kong 360 on TVs? :shrug:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4525318.stm

Quote from the article:

"The Ubisoft boss said the team who made the game used certain settings on high-definition TV screens.

It did not occur to them that there would be a problem with standard televisions, which are what most people use to play console games.

Other 360 games, like Microsoft's Perfect Dark Zero, offer an option to select what type of TV is being used.

'We are looking to see if we can fix the code,' said Mr Guillemot.

'It is the beginning of the high-definition TV era for us. It's a shame, but it happens with new machines. I don't think we will have it anymore.'

He recommended that fans of the movie stick to the version for more established games consoles. 'When you play on an Xbox or a PlayStation 2, you start to see that it is beautiful,' he said."

My question is: Which is the bigger blunder?

1. The failure to test on standard TVs, or 2. Encouraging users to buy PS2 or Xbox versions instead?

Something tells me MSoft isn't too happy about that statement. Good thing they can patch the game for online users at least!

chrisjbuck
12-16-2005, 06:11 AM
Whoops! Everything will be fixed and out of beta when Xbox360 finally ships to Australia, right? :cry:

TheChosen1
12-16-2005, 08:17 AM
I'm actually surprised at how frank Ubisoft is and how they admit to the mistake. Its the complete opposite of what we're used to hearing from companies. (and governments for that matter) :D

I would expect something more like this. "The darkness of the screen gives a more immersive, scary and cinematic experience."

Peddy
12-16-2005, 08:20 AM
Good thing they can patch the game for online users at least!

oh yay. problems are better fixed before they become problems.

and yes, chrisjbuck, by the time the 360 graces itself in australia, itll be polished, and my budget still wont justify the purchase :D

TorbjornO
12-16-2005, 08:37 AM
Everyone makes mistakes, the game on the xbox is absolutely fantastic.

I am for one just impressed at the cander. My respect for that guy just increased tenfold. Wish more would follow that example, that's strength.

thomaspecht
12-16-2005, 09:37 AM
Good thing they can patch the game for online users at least!

that's the bad thing, i'd say. so far, the really cool thing about console games has been that it has to work at release, no patching, no unpaid beta testing on the user's side. or recall all the copies and replace them, verrrrry expensive.
now, if you can simply patch it online, quality of games will go a similar route like on the pc - release first, patch it later - where commercially unsuccessful games sometimes aren't even fixed but abandoned.

Frank Lake
12-16-2005, 11:33 AM
Well this does help to explain why KK looks so damned horrid at Best Buys!

Oh and UB 'Boss' this isn't a small error nor the beginning of any era. It's a TITANIC & very stupid error that COMPLETELY got past ALPHA, BETA, and RC testing(remind me just how many months was this game in development?). How in the world can anyone respect you or even continue to employ you? UB needs to give you a lengthly vaction from work(unpaided) if not totally looking to terminate your employment on grounds of incompentance. Way to go, and right after the company got some national protection.

slaughters
12-16-2005, 12:59 PM
...the really cool thing about console games has been that it has to work at release...Sorry, had to laugh

Frank Lake, what did this guy do - kill your mother?

CupOWonton
12-16-2005, 03:51 PM
Wow, 360 just came out and the ammount of complaints , bugs, and lack of testing is sending it strait into the garbage can. I hope PS3 has a better launch.

JeroenDStout
12-16-2005, 03:58 PM
Heh, TheChosen1 is right, it is almost depressingly amazing that if Ubisoft makes a mistake they broadly admit it.

+3 points for Ubisoft :)

mummey
12-16-2005, 05:54 PM
Wow, 360 just came out and the ammount of complaints , bugs, and lack of testing is sending it strait into the garbage can. I hope PS3 has a better launch.

You're having a bad case of selective Memory. Every console except Nintendo has had this happen in its release.

cgtalkiest
12-17-2005, 01:12 AM

what does this have to do with microsoft? this is ubisofts fault. it could have happened on any console..

this is absolutely incredible. i do TCG at EA games for microsoft xbox and 360. if that was made at EA UK it would have been my job to make sure that problem was bugged (still got the headaches from doing the test on battlefield360 today). That fails the blatant xbox TCRs and i cant even believe no one spotted it.

There is a folder of requirements which we have to check against the game. There is a specific TCR (techinical certification requirement) dedicated to the game running on all regions, hertage, display mode and resolution. AND its one of the easier ones to test. I cant help but think what would have happened if the game had online play.

I would have lost my job if i was on that project. Were only an 8 man team and thats really only 7 cos the team lead doesnt do the tests. We have to test every game that comes through EA on xbox platforms and right now were juggling 3 projects at once. And were still managing to get them through first time without failing...

damn... someone needs to hire me down at ubisoft...

rakmaya
12-17-2005, 02:29 AM
If you were ever in the game development job, you know how strict the final testing of the games are by Microsoft and Sony( Sony is insanely strict). What I still don't recognize is that HOW THE heck did Microsoft certified this game. We used to complain how strict Sony was with some nonsense testing measures. Yes Ubisift is the one to blame but Microsoft shouldn't have certified it any way.

This is one of those simple things that gets carried from a programmer to tester to publisher. Even the most obvious could get passed even the deepest development pipeline. It is a good lesson to learn. Lucky that the patching up option is there.

Frank Lake
12-17-2005, 02:37 AM
Sorry, had to laugh

Frank Lake, what did this guy do - kill your mother?
lol, not at all!

But if you made a major error, and this is across all boards a major error at work that made your company look bad(in any way) you would be sitting on the curb within the week. This guy has even less margin for error at his level. It's equitable respsonibility.

Oh and making the move to annouce the error only gives him some space to jockey to keep his job by pre-emptively molifing the fans, hey boss we screwed up but by admitting it to the fans and taking action we can actually put a good spin on it, and moving to keep the company name in 'good light', suckering the public, by the admittal.

Hope he's destroyed all those meetings(how many hundred?) notes.

Andyman
12-17-2005, 04:23 AM
Let him be; he's a human being, after all. We make mistakes. Yeah, he has responsibility for it - which is why he was making the confession instead of passing it off to one of his peons. It's not suckering... it's the right thing to do.

We make mistakes... or are mistakes not allowed anymore in our modern society.

PhilOsirus
12-17-2005, 04:56 AM
Oh and making the move to annouce the error only gives him some space to jockey to keep his job by pre-emptively molifing the fans

Ermm, the guy is the president and co-founder of the company, I don't think he needed to say anything to keep his job:p

kleinluka
12-17-2005, 05:13 AM
How in the world can anyone respect you or even continue to employ you? UB needs to give you a lengthly vaction from work(unpaided) if not totally looking to terminate your employment on grounds of incompentance.

are you talking about the president or the dev team? either way, you need to chill out.

tauf
12-17-2005, 08:03 AM
Well this does help to explain why KK looks so damned horrid at Best Buys!

Oh and UB 'Boss' this isn't a small error nor the beginning of any era. It's a TITANIC & very stupid error that COMPLETELY got past ALPHA, BETA, and RC testing(remind me just how many months was this game in development?). How in the world can anyone respect you or even continue to employ you? UB needs to give you a lengthly vaction from work(unpaided) if not totally looking to terminate your employment on grounds of incompentance. Way to go, and right after the company got some national protection.

"Recently, I was asked if I was going to fire an employee who made a mistake that cost the company $600,000. No, I replied, I just spent $600,000 training him. Why would I want somebody to hire his experience?" - Thomas J. Watson (American Entrepreneur and Founder of IBM , 1874-1956)

"To err is human" as they say. Nobody is perfect and everybody makes mistakes. Mistakes whether they be large or small are opportunities to learn something. In a world where blame often gets pointed elsewhere it's nice to see someone stand up and accept responsibility and admit a mistake. I'm sure Ubisoft will be much more cautious about testing in the future because of this, which is a good and beneficial result.

CGmonkey
12-17-2005, 08:25 AM
You're having a bad case of selective Memory. Every console except Nintendo has had this happen in its release.

Tell me what "hope" got to do with "bad case of selective memory".. Even though the PS2 launch didn't go smooth, NOTHING says that the PS3 launch won't.

cgtalkiest
12-17-2005, 12:08 PM
Tell me what "hope" got to do with "bad case of selective memory".. Even though the PS2 launch didn't go smooth, NOTHING says that the PS3 launch won't.

nothing? what about common sense? or the past? or the fact that release is getting closer and closer, and the devkits arent even ready yet. let alone the retail console, or the games....

prepare for the same crap all over again mate... its a high-tech piece of hardware. theres no way it wont have problems.

Phrenzy84
12-17-2005, 01:56 PM
If you were ever in the game development job, you know how strict the final testing of the games are by Microsoft and Sony( Sony is insanely strict). What I still don't recognize is that HOW THE heck did Microsoft certified this game. We used to complain how strict Sony was with some nonsense testing measures. Yes Ubisift is the one to blame but Microsoft shouldn't have certified it any way.

thats what im wondering.

But im sure the QA dep. at Ubisoft must have wondered about this issue. To be honest i cant believe no one thought to try them out :). But i guess every place makes mistakes along the way. It was decent of them to admit that they made a cockup.

So... good for you ubisoft and shame on Mircosoft hehe :)

just jk btw.

rakmaya
12-17-2005, 02:09 PM
"Recently, I was asked if I was going to fire an employee who made a mistake that cost the company $600,000. No, I replied, I just spent $600,000 training him. Why would I want somebody to hire his experience?" - Thomas J. Watson (American Entrepreneur and Founder of IBM , 1874-1956)

"To err is human" as they say. Nobody is perfect and everybody makes mistakes. Mistakes whether they be large or small are opportunities to learn something. In a world where blame often gets pointed elsewhere it's nice to see someone stand up and accept responsibility and admit a mistake. I'm sure Ubisoft will be much more cautious about testing in the future because of this, which is a good and beneficial result.

That is a good way to look at things. Unfortunately I don't know any human being who would take the blame of such a large blunder. We have evolved too much to be that nice of a person.

The reason Ubisoft admit the blunder is a business tactic. It is the rule of of thumb when you defend yourself in the court (any cases). Bring out the worst in a way before the opposing party brings it out. This way it will not effect you that big.

Since they are the one who is going to suffer the consequences, there is no problem here. At least it didn't effect any other large scale businesses due to this blunder. Since the option to patch up is available, it is better for them to admit the blunder than waiting for someone else to bring it out.

mummey
12-17-2005, 02:57 PM

Better not to give your hopes off and expect Sony to pull off a miracle, especially with the trouble Sony has gotten themselves into lately.

Then there's also this:
http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20051215-5774.html

BoydLake
12-18-2005, 12:16 AM
Another article on the issue with another take on Ubisoft's spin.

http://www.fool.com/news/mft/2005/mft05121525.htm?source=eptyholnk303100&logvisit=y&npu=y&bounce=y&bounce2=y

Just about anyone with a 401k is likely to own MS stock, so before passing Ubisoft's attitude as a model of ethics in "fessing up", one might want to consider the impact suggesting people not play King Kong on the 360. Sure that might be an acceptable solution to Ubisoft, since it doesnt matter which copies of King Kong people buy, but as a MS stockholder, forgive me if I don't agree that it's an acceptable statement. Good to fess up.... bad to hurt others at the same time.

rakmaya
12-18-2005, 12:26 AM
Maybe the guy who wrote that never learned about the development pipeline. MS' TCR states many testing measure. MS doesn't need to send another note to developers. Just need to enforce its testing so that already specified rules are not broken... again.

I hope this does't impact too much on their share though. Ubisoft makes one of the most outstanding games and MS had a bad luck once on this. I hope it won't do anything drastically to their standings.

CGTalk Moderation
12-18-2005, 12:26 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.