PDA

View Full Version : Yacht, Sidewing (3D)

sidewing
11-25-2002, 03:47 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/galleryimages/17353/Yacht_large_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/galleryimages/17353/Yacht_large.jpg)

Thanks for all the remarks regarding the lighting issues of the image I posted. Hope this one is better!

Please let me know what you think. The first animation is done!

MaDSheeP
11-25-2002, 05:15 AM
uhmmm... yikes!

that isn't real?

looks awesome! :)

Dirk_P_Ho
11-25-2002, 07:30 AM
oh man thats nice!

Stimpy
11-25-2002, 07:51 AM
i didnt see any previous version of this but i think its all still a bit too bright nearly making the whole side of the yacht one white plane.. turn it down a little bit maybe...

other than that very nice.. good job on the waves and the wake..

Array
11-25-2002, 08:03 AM
the land mass in the upper left somewhat detracts from the composition. try adding some trees or rocks. otherwise it looks great!

sidewing
11-26-2002, 01:09 AM
Thanks guy's for the nice responds!

I changed the lighting a little so that the hull looks less "overlit".

Let me know if this is any better...

John

proton
11-26-2002, 01:17 AM
wow!...I would love to see wireframes for this...great work!

sumpm1
11-26-2002, 02:01 AM
WOW! Looks almost completely real! I will put you in my will.You will get the disposable silverware thats left in the drawer when I die.

sidewing
11-26-2002, 02:25 AM
Thanks Sumpm1! I gladly take all your silverware...

Dear William,
Attached a wireframe of the yacht. The lower hull poly's are based on what you see is what you get since I "froze" that part of the yacht in order to make the window-booleans work (you as LW user know what I mean...). The rest is level 3 of sub-D's.

Thanks,

John

sidewing
11-26-2002, 02:30 AM
This one shows a zoomed-in version with the used Weight-maps.

I frequently use Weight-maps to decrease poly count.

John

iMag
11-26-2002, 02:31 AM
something about the water or overall composition that keeps making me think it's a remote controled boat. need something to compare it to get a sense of scale possibly. this is probably just me. possibly adding reflections to the boat? I wish i could comment further, but i'm not that skilled with scale right now.

proton
11-26-2002, 03:03 AM
Great job....very professional model you have there....you should send in one of the images to the LW gallery....

PsychedelicMind
11-26-2002, 03:05 AM
neee... I keep having to convince myself taht this isn't a photo! :D Great job! it all looks so real!

sidewing
11-26-2002, 03:38 AM
Thanks again!

I agree with that something should be added to show the size of the yacht. What about a booye (how do you spell that device that floots on the water?)?

thedaemon
11-26-2002, 05:06 AM
great work! The first image I thought was a photo, then I saw the second one. IMHO the first one looks real. and u can tell the second one is CG. Nice use of weightmaps :applause:

viper11885
11-26-2002, 06:05 AM
holy crap.. i thought some person posted a real picture in the first pic :D

i was like "wtf is the guy thinking?" :D

anyways, that work is beautiful... really cool and realistic ;)

damn, u should do a tutorial :D

Jinxo
11-26-2002, 06:33 AM
Ok, all my complements were stated when you posted the first time, so this time I'll just skip them... :)

Always talking about the ship itself, assuming you're resriously aiming for photoreal, I'm affraid you're still off. It still seems a bit overlit, and the shaded area seems underlit (and I don't think I'm affected by lack of fine detail when I say this). IMO of course...

What is this shot meant for? Maybe you've pushed it as far as it needs to go...?

cheers
Alex

bored alien
11-26-2002, 06:41 AM
Off to the front page with you. I clicked on the thumbnail thinking "no way... there's just no way." The first image is definitely more photoreal IMO (though less so than just that thumbnail!) Agree about the landmass in the back, though it looks quite good as well. But you might want to just lose it and have nice water only. No reason to add extraneous stuff to detract from the high quality of the most important part of the image, again very much IMO. I am sincerely looking forward to the animation and to your next project! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

dvornik
11-26-2002, 07:04 AM
How was the water itself made? I think the most noticeable CG artifacts here are where the boat meets the water. To me it looks like a real boat substituted for a very nice CG boat in a photograph in Photoshop. I'm not saying it's bad or anything, it would be a great compositing job.

[edit] After reading the original thread I think I'm wrong but it's good if John explains his method anyway.

Kabab
11-26-2002, 07:08 AM
i love the wake how does it animated ?? any chance of seeing the animation ?

dmcgrath
11-26-2002, 07:10 AM
Buoy(boo-ee):thumbsup:
Nice job.

LordShaitan
11-26-2002, 07:53 AM
I would tweak the DOF a little bit, because even though the last picture you posted looks danm near real, i think the dof makes it look more like its minature.

sidewing
11-26-2002, 07:54 AM
I didn't composit anything... I used LW for both the yacht and water. I used the plugin Hypersmooth to get a nice reflection and and bump-map going. The scuds are made of 2 handdrawn images that are slowly changing from one to the other with a crumple through it. Then I rendered them in LW (camera perpendicular with Alpha channel) as well and saved 10 sec. of animation out that is used as image sequence. The these were used in both color, luminosity and dsplacement.

I totally agree with everyone about the second image. It looks so small to me too... Will make a buoy (thanks for the spelling :) )

There is a compressed version of the first animation on our site. That one is made for a tradeshow (Quantum Controls Inc. for whom I do Indep. Contractors work).
I will post tomorrow a short few sec. of the new animation.

Thanks all for your nice remarks! I will work on the flaws.

This image is without the background and without buoy... Will make one tomorrow...

Thanks,

John

LordShaitan
11-26-2002, 07:57 AM
Looks great! Way to go. Maybe sme cloud reflections? Not alot, but something sublte so the water in the back isnt the same color.

torbjorn
11-26-2002, 12:02 PM
Totallu kicks butt... That's absolutely real...as real as it can be :scream:

Make a few dolphins jumping next to the boat...the have a tendency to do that :cool:

The last image looks better, cause you ain't got any land in there...keep on modleing...this is awesome

Did you make the water aswell?

AJE
11-26-2002, 12:08 PM
Excellent work... the removal of the land mass behind it helps a lot.

I would suggest giving the hull a higher specular value. These craft are made of fibreglass... then clear coated to the max, making the highlights more intense.

http://www.cgalliance.com/forum/yacht-2edit.jpg

The clouds idea above ain't bad either.

It's a superb model, and it's very close to believable for me.

Of course, I could be completely off my rocker.
:)

dark_lotus
11-26-2002, 12:14 PM
OH MY GOD!

I can't even find the words to describe how AWESOME that work is. Exept for the distant hill. Looks a bit off.

:bowdown:

wmendez
11-26-2002, 02:21 PM
Holy Yact on the water Batman!!!!

I too thought that was a real pic!! Kudos!!!!

lildragon
11-26-2002, 03:13 PM
Incredible! I've seen this before, but this version is way better, I'm visually pleased, you captured the true essence of the waves and such... commendable job

You have recieved the CGtalk choice award. Please feel free to display this image anywhere you like! Congrats again, extremely well done

http://www.cgtalk.com/plug_award/cgtalk_award.jpg

P.S. if you need a different background, please send me a PM with the RGB values.

salud

DotPainter
11-26-2002, 04:48 PM
Great work! However, I think I have figured out what was nagging me about the pics:

1. Caustics. The ocean should cast some caustics on the boat.
2. The shadows on the water waves dont match that on the boat.

And, like others have mentioned, the specular highlights and reflections could be boosted a bit.....

Actually, a diffuse/specular/glossines texture on varios parts of the surface might help and some brdf on the main hull.....

Oh and the hull should also be somewhat reflective, right now it seems too flat matte....

Just my .02 cents, for what its worth.....

Still its a great piece!!!:buttrock:

sidewing
11-26-2002, 05:26 PM
Lildragon - Thank you so very much Lildragon! I really am speachless to receive this award!
I will definately use this on my website...

Torbjorn - Yes I made the water as well. As a matter fact the whole thing (yacht and ocean) are animated and will be used for the animation that will be shown on the Ft. Lauderdale tradeshow.

Aje - Thank you much for your time to point out these important issues! I totally agree with the spec. I acually almost put spec all the way down when I use raytracing (or HS) because spec doesn't really excist. What about if I put raytracing little up and change lighting slightly? "Drop ambient lighting" Yep it is too much. Was set to 10 percent and a backlight was too much. Good eye!

Dotpainter - I know what you mean with the caustics on the water. There is but the scuds and displacements there might make it fade or even dissapear. I could turn down the luminosity of the scuds.

In general - This was actually not designed to become a still image but rather an animation for that trade show. With all these great pointers however I'm sure that it will look much better! The due date is Januari 10th so I wll post that new animation on the site. The animation will be done together with my business partner Phil. So He will get then credits for this as well.

Thanks again for all!!!

John

altruizine
11-26-2002, 05:43 PM
The image is really fantastic... Though I do agree that it seems a bit smaller scale-wise than it should.

Maybe you could try putting in a bit more churning water along the width of the hull and out the back... dunno if that would help, but it's something that I feel is missing... but I could be wrong.. heh :p

really look great tho... Tried some boats and water a few years back and they didn't look like this.. heh

-J

slaughters
11-26-2002, 06:22 PM
Great water and great lighting. My only comment in addition to what others have said would be to make the texture on the bottom of the ship a little darker, or possibly a different reflectance value for the area which would be wet from the water spray.

Larry_g1s
11-26-2002, 10:44 PM
Oh my gosh . . . :eek:

People on these boards never cease to amaze me. :thumbsup:

slooper
11-27-2002, 12:13 AM
sidewing - do you mind if I ask where you are located? I looked at your website and it doesn't give any location info...

You can email me if you like at slooper@kitchensinkstudios.com

Thanks!

AJE
11-27-2002, 12:41 AM
VirtueGraphics
1820 East Bell de Mar 146
Tempe, AZ 8523
www.VirtueGraphics.com

It's in their press release section...

slooper
11-27-2002, 02:30 AM
Thx m8! I'm in Phoenix - not too far from Tempe :)

sidewing
11-27-2002, 03:37 AM
Thanks for reminding me about my address...

Almost forgot. Hope that someone from the yachting magazines will use this press-release. You never know...

John

TULS
11-27-2002, 05:08 AM
Lookin good bro...lomg time no speak...call me..or email me your # again I no longer remember it cause it has been so long....wanna come over for thanksgiving

TULS

xyth
11-27-2002, 08:55 AM
Hiya,

Really cool, but something really bothers my eyes.

Please take a look at the second picture. There are min. 2 lightsource which can be seen! One of them is emitting from left of the nose line of the boat, the one which is casting shadows. That is the Sun, I guess which (at this position if the shadows are so long) could be a bit orange or yellowish, just a bit.

But that's not that important than the second Sunlight (which is white as well, maybe?) and lits from the front and reflects on the water! It shouldn't be there! In nature scenes there should be only one lightsource which causes specularity IMHO, which is the Sun, and the others only diffuse. Do you see what I mean?

One more thing; add a little blooming to very lit parts. I don't know LW, but I'm sure there is a post-render effect like that.

In overall, very nice job, great modelling, good attention to detail!
-xyth

ivo D
01-29-2003, 08:30 PM
to... give a referencer in you image without changing to much..so you can guess how big the boat is

make a.... how do you call it in english..

a thing that is in the water and floats..with a light on it..

it would suit the inveroment..caus of the islands.. must be hard for ships..and i dont see any light tower..

so make a thing in the water:)

Stimpy
01-29-2003, 11:53 PM
a thread from the past resurfaces to haunt us....

:D

ps. buoy

http://www.jamstec.go.jp/jamstec/OCEAN/TRITON/buoy-photo-s.jpg

Prince-J
01-29-2003, 11:57 PM
This is very nice! The water is definately closest to photoreal :applause:

sidewing
01-30-2003, 06:38 AM
:bounce: Thank you for the compliment!

We just finished our new animation and can be downloaded on our site. Hope you like it.

It was made for the Amsterdam and Ft. Lauderdale tradeshow.

John

Magius
01-30-2003, 07:41 AM
That's a great model dude!! fantastic! awesome!! :applause: :thumbsup:

metallimonkey
01-31-2003, 04:48 PM
Thank you so much!

viworm
09-04-2004, 01:45 PM
Looks really realistic. Still I think the texture of the yacht is too clean. No water running down on the sides?

sidewing
09-04-2004, 06:16 PM
I agree with you there... The problem is that it was part of an animation. We had to crank this baby out.

I will post a new yacht image today. We are working on a brand new yacht animation for Monaco tradeshow.

Thanks for all the great feedback and positive responds!

John

TETRAGRAMMATON
07-21-2005, 11:55 PM
That water is wonderful and the scene is marvellous,i love this artwork.

CGTalk Moderation
07-21-2005, 11:55 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.