PDA

View Full Version : Poseidon remake and why hollyweird is loosing money

unclebob
12-14-2005, 09:33 PM
while not very patiently waiting for King Kong to start, the theater ran trailers for upcoming movies and one of those is the Poseidon remake. What really makes it bad is NBC aired a Poseidon Adventure remake just last month and now another. How stupid does the industry think we are ? How many more megaflops are they going to make before they realize it isn't the home theater system that is huring them, it is the lack of originality. "Hey, this worked 25 years ago so it should work again."

All they need to do is to take a look at the recent remakes and TV shows converted to the big screen that have flopped. I guess these movies are made for those that weren't around the first time it came out or don't watch TV Land. No new original ideas, that is what is killing the movie industry (Hollyweird)

Bonedaddy
12-14-2005, 09:39 PM
Hollywood isn't losing money.

They may not be making as much, but that's also in large part due to the stodginess of production/distribution models.

The two Poseidon remakes are sort of an Antz/Bugs Life story, from what I understand. The Poseidon feature was in turnaround hell at WB for a long time. NBC announced theirs literally like... a week before WB got theirs together. Probably someone who'd been on Poseidon at some point went to NBC and made it there. Wires crossed.

And please, no more "This is why X sucks, they need to do Y." You could put Microsoft, Apple, Nintendo, Linux, the government, religion, anyone in there, and you'd still be starting a flamewar.

UrbanFuturistic
12-14-2005, 10:16 PM
Hollywood isn't losing money.Ahhhh, losing money. I thought it was because the money wanted to be free.

regards, Paul

jeremybirn
12-14-2005, 11:07 PM
Hollywood is earning money, lots of it.

The percentage of junk is about the same as it always has been. Nowdays you might notice it more because people are seeing more movies than ever - because they watch most of them on home video, people end up seeing a lot more titles every year than they used to.

The area where they're having the most trouble earning money are in the films that they can't get the pre-awareness numbers high enough on. A movie with a new title, not affiliated with anything people have heard about, not from a well-known source - those are the ones that too often get lost in the shuffle and people don't see in theaters.

-jeremy

mattepntr
12-16-2005, 11:28 AM
Here's the story of why there are 2 versions of "Poseidon Adventure"
at roughly the same time....
(MOD EDIT TO MAKE IT LEGIBLE)
Warner Bros. announced in early 2004 that they planned to produce a remake of "The Poseidon Adventure" with Wolfgang Petersen producing.

Meanwhile...

Hallmark Entertainment actually filmed the TV version in the late part of 2004 (shooting wrapped in Cape Town in December of that year). The version they filmed was meant to be aired as a 2-night, 4-hour mini-series on their cable fanchise.

In May of 2005 NBC apparently realized they had nothing better to put on for November sweeps and bought the rights to the Hallmark version. This is the version that aired last month to abysmal ratings and
some of the worst reviews in TV history. (NBC has the option to air this version one more time before Hallmark regains custody for their cable channel.) NBC cut an hour out of it and aired it in one night.

While the Hallmark production was filming in South Africa with a D-list cast, Warner Bros and Petersen were working in-depth on the script. And then during the early pre-production process, Petersen decided this project was attractive enough to direct himself. Filming started on the Warner Bros lot late last spring.

I'm a big fan of the original 1972 film, and I was very skeptical about this project.
To me, the idea of remaking the original was definitely falling into the "why are you doing
this (other than money and capitalzing on a known title?)" category.

But the more I see of what they're attempting to do with it, the more interested I'm
becoming in it. This is going to be a much scarier, certainly more violent take on the
story, with a completely different cast of characters and storyline. In fact, the only
similiarity to the original is "ship is capsized by monster wave on New Year's Eve".
They're going to have to try hard to avoid an R rating with this one. And it really is
going to be spectacular.

Rick

jevinstudios
12-16-2005, 11:43 AM
Hollywood & television knocking off each other's productions is nothing new. Remember Titanic? How many titanic-related programs did you see on TV & video when the movie came out -- probably hundreds. It's just marketing, folks. If something is gonna be popular, someone's going to capitalize on it to cash in -- whether it's NBS, ABC, Discovery, SciFi or A&E (to name a few).

I must admit that I have almost completely stopped going to theatres all together. I've got a sweet DVD system with Dolby Surround in my studio, and I can pause my flik at any time to get up and pee. No crying babies, no cell phones ringing, and no greasy overpriced snacks. I enjoy waiting for the DVD release of movies I'm interested in -- 'cause to me they're new (haven't seen 'em). I'll make an evening out of it, then add it to my collection if I really like it.

The real money these days is in DVD sales & merchandising. Theatres are pretty much only a commercial to stimulate sales and purchases of tie-ins. This is where Hollywood is making money -- and a sh*tload of it!

malducin
12-16-2005, 02:38 PM
How stupid does the industry think we are ? How many more megaflops are they going to make before they realize it isn't the home theater system that is huring them, it is the lack of originality. "Hey, this worked 25 years ago so it should work again."

What makes this funny or ironic is that you thought about it while waiting to see another film remake. It cracks me up all these people complaining about Poseidon are probably lining up to see King Kong. Blanket statements are usually not good.

While I'm not particularly fond of remakes, and the odds are against them, there is always a small percentage that will turn out good, as good as the original, mainly when good directors are involved. Most remakes done today are done for the wrong reason and/or studio pushed with neophyte directors they can push around. At least the new Poseidon has a good director attached. I rather judge them on their individual merits.

And there might be something about "viewer stupidity" and Hollywood, though maybe I would put it in other words. Many remakes are among the box office champions this year: Dukes of Hazzard (bad), Longest Yard (passable), Batman Begins (although a new interpretation) War of the Worlds and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (3 good).

RobertoOrtiz
12-16-2005, 02:51 PM
I would not use a broad brush to clasify ALL remakes as trash.

There are some amazing films that have been remakes:
Among them:
The Ten Commandments (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0049833/), Ben-Hur (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0052618/) and The Fugitive (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0106977/)
-R

mummey
12-16-2005, 03:18 PM
Technically, LoTR was a remake. ;)

JeroenDStout
12-16-2005, 03:49 PM
Yeah, and I believe King Kong was re-made because Peter Jackson wanted to tell the story that he got through when he was 9, not because they needed money. Re-makes can be good, but they can be as bad as normal films when made by someone without any sense of style and with the mission to make money - which is what runs the mulitmedia industry, often seems. Apparently there just is a large mass who could care less about style: Explosions and tits! Though perhaps this mass is getting bored, or less tolerant.. or more stylefull.

And one-liners. Sweer Yurok, the cheesy onelines which all seem to be jokes revolving around things like 'saved by the bell'.

eek
12-16-2005, 04:01 PM
Hollywoods not losing so much cash, its more of a case that its photocopier is running out of toner.:D

I would not use a broad brush to clasify ALL remakes as trash.

There are some amazing films that have been remakes:
Among them:
The Ten Commandments (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0049833/), Ben-Hur (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0052618/) and The Fugitive (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0106977/)
-R

Btw, my mom worked on Benhur,Tom Thumb and few others back in the 60s in the costume department.

eek

bigbad
12-16-2005, 09:08 PM
Btw, my mom worked on Benhur,Tom Thumb and few others back in the 60s in the costume department.

eek

Thats so cool. :buttrock:

I like Hollywood movies. Japanese too. Uhh and French too.

I like any movie that is good. I don't care what language it is on and whos directing it. It's the movie in the end that has to sweep you of the floor with emotions and feeling of satisfaction (if thats the correct word).

Itīs the same with remakes. If itīs good. Iīll watch it.

azozel
12-16-2005, 09:28 PM
Checkout the devlis backbone.
It's a spanish film and one of the best forigen films I have ever scene.

Stillwell
12-16-2005, 10:29 PM
Hollywoods not losing so much cash, its more of a case that its photocopier is running out of toner.:D

eek

So is it her fault we see so many people wearing watches in Ben Hur? ;)

eek
12-16-2005, 10:55 PM
wasnt part of the 'add additional stuff not from time period' department.

eek

CGTalk Moderation
12-16-2005, 10:55 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.