PDA

View Full Version : How long to create a Flash site?

Kieguy
11-24-2002, 10:06 PM
Just to say again...thanks for the new Flash forum!!

I need to make my own portfolio site :surprised and have been planning to do it as an all-flash site, so the more inspiration, links and tips, the better. Hopefully I can have something to show in the next couple of months or so....I hope. I fear it will take me longer than I even imagine and wonder if I should just "give in" and do it all in html. I have several years experience in Flash but would say I'm a mid-level actionscripter...OK, more on the newbie end of mid-level. Been studying some to take it to the next level...I think I can do it if I put my mind to it. Just worried about the time factor...

Which brings up a question for all who have created their own all-flash sites: about how long has it taken you? and what level of flash/actionscripting would you say you were at when you started the project? Links to site(s) you're referring to would be appreciated.

This may be a loaded or silly question, so I appreciate all the more any feedback at all. OK..OK...this could be looked at as a thinly veiled fishing-for-encouragement thing too!

Fuzatron
11-24-2002, 10:42 PM
I'm sure you know the time depends on how complex and "designy" you want it to be. But you shouldn't need anything beyond basic action-scripting to get a "flashy" self-promo/ portfolio site done. If you need something that calls for some heavier action-script, I would go to someplace like FlashKit.com and adapt some of the code available there to work within your design... While tweaking the code to do what you want helps you to learn as well.

When the DotBomb I was working for bombed over 2yrs ago I created my site in less than a week (concept to completion). But suddenly losing your job and having a new house to pay for is some serious motivation :p

Feel free to check it out...
I haven't updated it in about 2yrs or so though :hmm:
Fuse9 (http://fuse9.com)

fig
11-25-2002, 01:29 AM
yeah, there's really no way to ballpark something like this, i've done flash sites in as little as a day or two as well as ones that took weeks. that's like "how does it take you to do a 3d rendering?" totally depends on the subject matter :)

chris

Per-Anders
11-25-2002, 02:04 AM
something worth noting is that it seems everyone got flash 4... made a site with it really quickly (i.e. in the first two weeks of owning it, like i) either learnt programming actionscript or whatever in that time, did amazing things, made everything from scratch... then spent the next two years till now saying "i'm going to update my website sometime soon"... so provided it's your first go it shouldn't take you all that lon to do.. but if it's a second attempt then be prepared for a very long gestation period.

Flog
11-25-2002, 02:10 AM
Learn it first, then make your graphics and then connect it all. Anywhere between 2-35 days. Depending on speed. I have friends who turn out flash sights once a week. So depends on what you are going for. Have fun and get your feet wet and you shall find out soon. If you need any help post here and help will come:bounce:

TumikSmacker
11-25-2002, 02:31 AM
is there a site where with a really good tutorial(s) on how to make a flash site? Like I've made buttons but getting them to go to the next scene and all that....well it doesn't really work out for me. Anyone know of a tutorial that will hekp me? Besides the Lessions that come with the program...

proton
11-25-2002, 02:47 AM
Flash comes with great interactive Tuts as well as a great help file that explains just that.....

slayerment
11-25-2002, 02:48 AM
this flash site took about 3 days:

http://www.femultimedia.com

the enhanced on this took 2 months and the standard took a day:

http://www.quintonfigueroa.com

hope this helps

Tumik...
I would recommend http://www.flashkit.com . thats a great site for beginners.

atomizer
11-25-2002, 03:12 AM
depends on a lot of things and what you want to do, I would day from 2 weeks to 6 month...

DuRanG
11-25-2002, 08:00 AM
in my opinion the longest part is designing.. once you know what you wanna do,it wont take you more than 2-7 days to finish your work

a good actionscript site: www.actionscript.org

slayerment
11-25-2002, 01:53 PM
another good tutorial site: http://www.kirupa.com . has an excellent flash forum there too.

Kieguy
11-26-2002, 12:15 AM
Wow...thanks to everyone for all the replies so far! I knew it was kind of an open question and I wasn't too specific on what I was thinking of doing. One big reason is I'm not 100% clear yet myself! Got lots of ideas swimming around though....that's a start I guess...

I have the notion to really attempt some "real" scripting...that is, code it the "right" way :surprised whatever that means, I know..heh heh. Not hodgepodge or everything too hard-coded, but making everything modular and easy to update in the future.

It would be a portfolio site, with photos/screenshots of my past artwork and sites I've done. I'd like to see if I can make it run off of variables in external text file(s), at least in part, that would contain the number and names of projects in each section, and a list of thumbnails and text descriptions for each, etc. So a separating the data/content from presentation kind of thing.

I've never done that before, is the thing...has anyone done something similar? Any book (or site) recommendations that describe doing this kind of thing in detail? I have Moock's Definitive book, and Kerman's AS in Flash (cyan) book for getting the basics down. :cool: I think I glanced at the 'Flash 5 Magic' book long ago that had an early chapter that started to cover this kind of thing (dynamically created menus/sites)...did I imagine this? And now we're well into MX already...

Anyway...thanks again, I've seen FlashKit...there's some other links and that forum I don't think I've seen yet though, gotta....and gotta get myself in gear. Getting started always seems to be the hardest part you know?

:wip:

proton
11-26-2002, 12:21 AM
There should be some cool source files for you to study over at Flashkit.com

Plus I will be making some of my Flash Source files available soon.....

[msf]
11-26-2002, 08:46 PM
Well addressing this question is obviously going to be a pain in the arse since there is no way of telling how intricate you want your site to be. I would say concept to creation making a mediocre flash site would take about a week.

The more time you put into it the better it will be. With a portfolio site your main issue will be not overdoing it. Flash animations are fun but does a bunch of motion add to a portfolio site? I prefer viewing art in books so all the flash portfolios I have made have stayed that simple.

good luck.

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 10:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.