PDA

View Full Version : Disney product would let you WATCH entertainment with MEAL

RobertoOrtiz
12-14-2005, 03:53 PM
Quote:
'If the Walt Disney Co. has its way, McDonald's Happy Meal toys would be replaced with portable media players that hold Disney movies, music, games or photos, according to a pending patent application. Users could add files to the devices by earning points with food purchases.
The plan could work something like this: A customer enters a restaurant and buys a meal, receiving the portable media player and an electronic code that authorizes a partial download of a movie, video or other media file, which can be downloaded while in the restaurant, according to a U. S. Patent and Trademark Office application filed by Disney. Then, with each return, the customer earns more downloadable data, eventually getting an entire movie or game.

Earning a large file, like a movie, might require five trips -- a compelling incentive for a customer to return to the restaurant.

>>LINK< (http://www.startribune.com/stories/154/5780509.html)<

-R

chrisWhite
12-14-2005, 03:55 PM
That sounds pretty cool, but would it be cost effective?

CupOWonton
12-14-2005, 04:05 PM
Like having like.. 100+ McDonalds in the Houston,TX area alone isnt bad enough, now they want to find even MORE ways of getting people to eat more incredibly unhealthy food?

seven6ty
12-14-2005, 04:26 PM
Like having like.. 100+ McDonalds in the Houston,TX area alone isnt bad enough, now they want to find even MORE ways of getting people to eat more incredibly unhealthy food?

It's kinda healthy.

angel
12-14-2005, 06:23 PM
well yeah, it is a business.
it is up to the people to eat it or not, no one is forcing people to eat unhealthy.

what happened to the concept of individual responsability?

XLNT-3d
12-14-2005, 06:35 PM
that sucks. What about all the cool toys for the movies? These star wars toys are great. Well, those are booger sling, but McD's gets their fair share.

Will this officialize the nickname to Mickey D's?

chrisWhite
12-14-2005, 06:40 PM
I wonder if this ties in with their awesome redbox program somehow.

Dennik
12-14-2005, 06:52 PM
Still trying to make money from everything except quality films. Aren't they?

Stahlberg
12-15-2005, 02:01 AM
incredibly unhealthy food
Everyone says that, but it's an exaggeration I think. Your average non-franchised burger is worse. Not to mention hot dogs, nachos... and pizza (the worst of the worst). If you avoid the fries and sweet stuff you're not any likelier to get fat or have a heart attack on McD's menu than on hospital food.

Per-Anders
12-15-2005, 02:14 AM
I quite like the idea. A side effect that people might not instantly realise is that any such move would subsidise and improve portable media player development and costs in general (if a factory has to produce a million of these things or even just their screens/chips rather than ten thousand, then the cost per unit is going to go down considerably, and that will affect non disney/mcdonalds units prices too),

it's all development for the technology as far as i see it, i'm still waiting for the affordable replacement to the pocket sketchbook, with pressure sensitive pen and painter CE :D

afrolaxman
12-15-2005, 02:26 AM
won't entice me to go into micky d's any more than their "bedding" with Newman's own coffee. won't entice me to get behind the disney model either, but good luck. with millions for chump change in each of their pockets, i am sure several billion someones will buy into it.

hey, i got an idea, why don't they make quality products that actually require more passion instead of a schedule that requires getting it done in time for "blech"mas.

stalhberg- your right on there, but, pizza is yummy. i like pizza.

Slurry
12-15-2005, 02:35 AM
Everyone says that, but it's an exaggeration I think. Your average non-franchised burger is worse. Not to mention hot dogs, nachos... and pizza (the worst of the worst). If you avoid the fries and sweet stuff you're not any likelier to get fat or have a heart attack on McD's menu than on hospital food.

You should watch this movie...

http://www.supersizeme.com/

Art

Jozvex
12-15-2005, 02:45 AM
Everyone just move to Australia! Our McDonalds had a massive overhaul a few years ago, replacing all the ingredients with sugar-free, fat-free, chemical-free, fake-free stuff. It's still fine though. They also have an entire salads menu and deli menu of healthfoods too in the same store. Chicken salad happy meal anyone?

The media player idea is pretty crazy and could work quite well!

Stahlberg
12-15-2005, 02:59 AM
http://www.supersizeme.com/ (http://www.supersizeme.com/)
The point of the movie is he's eating only supersized portions (in fact his first meal is so huge it makes him puke), and also including what I mentioned not to include: fries and sweet stuff. By that I mean softdrinks as well. A fishburger with a bottle of water can not really be considered "incredibly unhealthy".
(http://www.supersizeme.com/)

Hugh-Jass
12-15-2005, 03:26 AM
The point of the movie is he's eating only supersized portions (in fact his first meal is so huge it makes him puke), and also including what I mentioned not to include: fries and sweet stuff. By that I mean softdrinks as well. A fishburger with a bottle of water can not really be considered "incredibly unhealthy".

I think it also speaks to the industrialization of food... and he only eats supersized portions whenthey asked him if he wanted to supersize it...which wasn't always. Also remember the crazy preservatives in the fries that never rotted in the jar?

and most people aren't ordering fishburgers and water...by default most people order a combo with the fries and soda...and now the happy meal ..doesn't it also have fries and soda?

Stahlberg
12-15-2005, 03:42 AM
True... some of it is in fact "incredibly unhealthy".
The Coke for instance - nine tablespoons of refined sugar in every can.
Or the alternative - Diet drinks - contains Aspartame, a chemical consisting of 3 known poisons... I just like to see people taking responsability - if they order Coke instead of water they shouldn't blame weightgain, diabetes, heart-attacks, strokes etc on McD. :)

But now I'm really going off on a tangent... sorry.

Berserga
12-15-2005, 04:30 AM
Actually people should just go to Japan to eat fast food... The radically reduced portions will result in far fewer deaths :)

In truth I've never eaten Mc D's in Japan but my EXTENSIVE experience with wendy's tells me that the portions are like doll food compared to here. :)

sporadic
12-15-2005, 01:01 PM
The big problem I see is that "download a *portion*" part. "Hey, mommy, can we go to McD's so I can get the climax of my movie?" Doing it once locks you in to doing it several more times, or getting a product that's not useful on its own. At least with the current toys, they *may* interact with each other, building toys and the like, but they're typically also workable as toys by themselves. The first fifteen minutes of a film is not a product, it's an advertisement. It's a little different with games (assuming the 'portion' is on the order of playable levels, and not on the order of executables and critical assets), but only a little.

CGTalk Moderation
12-15-2005, 01:01 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.