PDA

View Full Version : NY Film Critics Circle Names "Howl's" Best Animated Film of 2005

RobertoOrtiz
12-14-2005, 04:51 PM
Quote:
"The New York Film Critics Circle has named Howl's Moving Castle the Best Animated Film of 2005"

>>LINK<< (http://www.nyfcc.com/2005awards.php)
-R

P_T
12-14-2005, 05:10 PM
*waits for pixar mob in their Incredibles super suits to flood the thread* :twisted:

Nathan
12-14-2005, 06:36 PM
*waits for pixar mob in their Incredibles super suits to flood the thread* :twisted:

ummm... the incredibles already won an oscar... for 2004.

Dennik
12-14-2005, 08:18 PM
Best animated but least viewed. Some distributors in here, make sure that no foreign film makes it to US cinemas. Nommater how good it is. How sad... :banghead:

beaker
12-14-2005, 09:46 PM
I really liked Howl's moving Castle, but imho Wallace and Grommit beats it hands down as the best animated movie of the year.

Emmanuel
12-14-2005, 09:47 PM
I won't watch it, either, not matter how "good" its received by critics.
I fell into that trap once with Spirited Away, which I found boring as hell, uninteresting, strange, I decided I dont like japanese anime films, except maybe for Akira and Ghost in the shell.

beaker
12-14-2005, 10:02 PM
Best animated but least viewed. Some distributors in here, make sure that no foreign film makes it to US cinemas. Nommater how good it is. How sad... :banghead:No, disney distributes all the studio Ghibli films and John Lasseter usually produces the effort. The trouble is that there isn't a wide audience for these films in america. Spirited Away got a huge push from Disney, correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought it was around 400 theaters and still only made 5 million.

Everything in movies is about money and most foreign films even with a big push from the studio on average, don't make much.

mangolass
12-14-2005, 11:18 PM
Congratulations! Well deserved respect for a truly dreamy film!

Best animated but least viewed. Some distributors in here, make sure that no foreign film makes it to US cinemas. Nommater how good it is. How sad... :banghead:
If not many theaters played it, that's because not many Americans see films that weren't made in English. The distributors did a great job, especially getting good actors for the English voices (for a change!) Billy Crystal especially was very good.

I really liked Howl's moving Castle, but imho Wallace and Grommit beats it hands down as the best animated movie of the year.
I actually thought Howl's was much more creative and interesting, personally, but I agree with your prediction. Miyazaki just won an Academy Award for best animated film for Spirited Away, so people will vote for W&G because it's Aardman's turn to win one.

LT

Boone
12-14-2005, 11:21 PM
Glad to see my personal favourite get top position! :bounce:

P_T
12-15-2005, 01:58 AM
ummm... the incredibles already won an oscar... for 2004.

lol i was just kiddin mate coz a lot of folks here get a bit worked up if there's a discussion about the best animated feature and pixar's not mentioned. :D

tozz
12-15-2005, 02:11 AM
The movie shouldn't be rewarded for the animation, but for its entire excellence. I still laugh when I think of the fire demon :)
You just have to see it with the original audiotrack and subs, english removes the delicate touch to the movie.

blakshep
12-15-2005, 02:22 AM
yeah, i vote for wallace&gromit too
but it's nice to have this real strong competition this year

de_tomato
12-15-2005, 03:44 AM
Congrats to Ghibli and his team! They deserve it!

gunslingerblack
12-15-2005, 04:35 AM
howls was great, i love miyazaki's style and the storytelling is always phoenominal

Peddy
12-15-2005, 06:17 AM
damn straight! howl's moving castle was a magical film, and some of the elements, like the castle itself were downright genius in its implementation.

beaker
12-15-2005, 01:29 PM
I actually thought Howl's was much more creative and interesting, personally, but I agree with your prediction. Miyazaki just won an Academy Award for best animated film for Spirited Away, so people will vote for W&G because it's Aardman's turn to win one.Aardman has already won 2 or 3 oscars, so I don't think it has anything to do with it being Aarman's "time to win."

blakshep
12-15-2005, 04:17 PM
i didn't know aardman has oscars too
in that case i vote for steamboy

sforsyth
12-15-2005, 04:33 PM
Spirited Away was a work of genius, a modern day Alice in Wonderland. So full of symbolism and so rich. It's funny, Lasseter does the introduction on the DVD to it, he absolutely loves it, but the Pixar wagon can't be stopped. It's unfair in my opinion to compare Pixar's 3D films with this mostly 2D work, which is so different in style and target audience.

Unfortunately, the Japanese (and to a certain extent Europeans), seem to get and appreciate symbolism more than the American market, and it's my opinion that's why it fails there.

I've yet to see Howl's, but if it's half the film Spirited Away was, I know I'm in for a rare treat.

CGTalk Moderation
12-15-2005, 04:33 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.