PDA

View Full Version : CG bird by hoaxland

Robken
12-14-2005, 09:35 AM
howdy.

wegg asked me to post this, and wegg's word is king. We composited a CG bird into live action footage for a tv show intro. these are only the shots that contain the bird, the actual intro is a few shots longer.
all rigging and animation was done in messiah, then we used PO to bring the displacement data into LW for rendering.

PS: the birdhouse is real (a lot of people think it's fake...it's not!)

http://hoaxland.be/hoaxfolio/project.html?id=31

DMack
12-14-2005, 09:41 AM
That is very very good! Very realistic bird movements! How did you render the feathers? They look great!

svintaj
12-14-2005, 09:48 AM
Wow! Good work :thumbsup:

/ Svante

aforetaste
12-14-2005, 05:10 PM
Very nice!
I especially like the bird's movements. Well done.

Wegg
12-14-2005, 05:13 PM
Yea. . . very slick. Thank you very much for sharing Robken.

stooch
12-14-2005, 07:10 PM
yeah. the birdhouse is totally photoshopped though...

hehe jk. Great stuff.

Robken
12-15-2005, 10:44 AM
thanks for the kind words everyone...

to answer Dmaks question. (partially)
the feathers are a combination of
A: a lot of single polygon planes
B: motion blur to get a softhening look.

I can't go in on the motion blur technique since it's something that was developed inhouse, but it's basically the same thing like we did on the rabbit for this spot.

http://www.hoaxland.be/hoaxfolio/project.html?id=21

stooch
12-15-2005, 02:53 PM
Im digging the rabbit animation very much. the lighting/texturing is incredible. One weak spot that both me and my colleague noticed is the fall of the rabbit. when he bounces it looks very unnatural in an otherwise flawless piece and sticks out like a sore thumb.

Robken
12-15-2005, 03:48 PM
we know.... we know....

but believe it or not....the clients wanted it to be like that, our version actually had the rabbit all bruised and beaten when it falls....but they wanted it to pop right back up...looks like crap.. we know :p

stooch
12-15-2005, 11:33 PM
lol gotta love clients with poor artistic vision eh?

great work though.

CGTalk Moderation
12-15-2005, 11:33 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.