PDA

View Full Version : Poseidon trailer

malducin
12-14-2005, 04:19 AM
Poseidon teaser trailer (http://www.apple.com/trailers/wb/poseidon/)

visionmaster2
12-14-2005, 04:28 AM
yes, it must be hard to surf with a paquebot !

Geta-Ve
12-14-2005, 05:59 AM
hmm, looks like they are trying to recreate titanic?

Bonedaddy
12-14-2005, 06:04 AM
They're actually trying to recreate The Poseidon Adventure, a movie that came out in... 1977, I think. Starred Richard Gere. Was a fun, stupid little thing.

I am curious how many people here are working on this flick. I think it's got a pretty big crew. I've been working away at it, myself. None of my shots in the trailer though.

Ondrayce
12-14-2005, 06:21 AM
Looks like a fair cast, though the concept reminds me of a MTV Movie Award sketch from a while back where Ben Stiller and Vince Vaughn were pitching a sequal for Titanic to James Cameron where a group of people who got stuck in a bubble on one of the sinking sections and survived on the bottom of the ocean.

Per-Anders
12-14-2005, 06:33 AM
I can't believe they're remaking the Poseidon Adventure! o_O Talk about scraping the bottom of the barrel...

Still there looked like some nice cg shots in there.

zzacmann
12-14-2005, 06:59 AM
They're actually trying to recreate The Poseidon Adventure, a movie that came out in... 1977, I think. Starred Richard Gere. Was a fun, stupid little thing

Its based on the 1972 film starring Gene Hackman. Its been a while since Ive seen it, but I thought it was pretty good.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0069113/

Beamtracer
12-14-2005, 07:05 AM
http://www.funchase.com/Images/Theatres/PosterClose.jpg (http://www.ssposeidonadventurefansite.com/)

Will it have Maureen McGovern (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Morning_After_%28Maureen_McGovern_song%29) in it?

"There's got to be a morning after, la la la la la....."

Click on this link for 30 seconds of the original song... (RealPlayer stream)
http://www.maureenmcgovern.com/mmaudioclips/tma.rm
Or get an MP3 version here (http://www.ssposeidonadventurefansite.com/). Pretend you're living in the 70s!

malducin
12-14-2005, 07:53 AM
Will it have Maureen McGovern in it?

Hopefully. Unfortunately it won't have a Shelly Winters moment. I loved someone elses suggestion that they should've had Nathan Lane in drag for that ;-).

xino
12-14-2005, 03:59 PM
Hmm.. they already did a tv remake of it a few weeks ago on NBC. It wasn't "that" bad. Hopefully the tv remake won't hurt sales of the movie version.

Bonedaddy
12-14-2005, 04:48 PM
Its based on the 1972 film starring Gene Hackman. Its been a while since Ive seen it, but I thought it was pretty good.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0069113/

D'oh! I was thinking Gene Hackman and wrote Richard Gere. Sigh.
Also had Ernest Borgnine! How can you top that!

ashrumm
12-14-2005, 05:59 PM
Hmmm, I vaguely remember the gene hackman version if my memory serves me correct only a handful of people survive. They ended up pounding on the hull of this huge cruise ship until they are rescued. That was the most interesting element of the film to me was that they were navigating through a ship that had turned upside down, we are exposed to new challenges the survivers face.

JA-forreal
12-14-2005, 06:42 PM
I can't believe they're remaking the Poseidon Adventure! o_O Talk about scraping the bottom of the barrel...

Cool cg, but what a throwback. I hope it's just as cheesy as the original. Hehehe.

Imagine a Fro sportin' Kurt Russell doing the electric slide in a leisure suit.. Bomp-shika-bow-now... Then the waves just wash all that dancing fun away. Ahhh. Hehehe.

BTW, how do you do the electric slide anayway? Hehehe.

specialbrew
12-14-2005, 07:53 PM
Hmmm.... in view of everything that happened in Asia last year, the words 'poor', 'taste' and 'timing' come to mind. :shrug:

Apoclypse
12-14-2005, 09:14 PM
Didn't they have an nbc movie come out a few weeks ago.

malducin
12-15-2005, 05:44 AM
Didn't they have an nbc movie come out a few weeks ago.

Yep, it styarred Steve Gutenberg, Adam Baldwin, Rutger Hauer, Alex Kingston, C. Thomas Howell and Peter Weller. Saw part of it but nothing much to talk about.

Hopefully the tv remake won't hurt sales of the movie version.

Probably not. They had a Titanic TV movie before Cameron's movie came out, although there was the benefit that Cameron's got pushed back 6 months.

Talk about scraping the bottom of the barrel...

Well they just remade King Kong and there doesn't seem to be much complaining ;-)

slaughters
12-15-2005, 05:47 AM
... How can you top that!How about with Fred Astaire and Red Buttons?

topmegacool
12-15-2005, 12:52 PM
argh, I can see a deep lack of inspiration about making movies this time.

This is again another anopther silly disaster movie.
"Happy new year party.. blah blah" and then wow a big wave...
wow what a contrast between the joy and the dramatic side... love and separation...

Well this is tiresome and already seen.

Pentagramma
12-15-2005, 01:16 PM
Hmmm.... in view of everything that happened in Asia last year, the words 'poor', 'taste' and 'timing' come to mind. :shrug:

... just wait until they redo "The Towering Inferno" ... ;)

shy-guy
12-15-2005, 04:39 PM
Woa! I loved the "Poseidon Adventure", i must have seen it a bunch of times when i was a kid; till now its the only time iīve seen leslie nielsen act serius, and die!!

Anyway, i hope wollfgang petersen can do a good job, making a faithfull remake (cheese and all) while adding new ideas, and new characters, cause i dont want to know who dies when :banghead:

Bonedaddy
12-15-2005, 06:26 PM
How about with Fred Astaire and Red Buttons?

You're right. That would be better.

Isn't this movie coming out at the same time as X3 and Superman?

ivanisavich
12-15-2005, 06:57 PM
Definitely some cool effects going on!

Probably only a rental for me though.

hanskloss
12-15-2005, 07:00 PM
Just another horrible idea for a film. Seems like Hollywood is running out of ideas for good films. Maybe some of those psudo-screenwriters can start reading books and make a film based on a good book. Yea books. There are hundreds of great books that can be made into a good movie. This scraping the bottom of the barrel is not a good sign at all.

trakeen
12-16-2005, 03:12 AM

One of my friends told me there is a remake of Creature from the black lagoon in the works

I'm really getting tired of all these remakes/sequels

I wouldn't mind seeing "The day the earth stood still" as a remake (I would much rather see an original story though!!)

E_Moelzer
12-16-2005, 12:24 PM
Yeah, thats the thing with Holyweird and publishers, studios etc, right now.
They just produce crap, or just remakes of mediocre movies and then wonder why noone watches them. Of course they will blame the internet again then, you can bet.
I am wondering why noone makes anything new anymore. There are so many cool and interesting stories out there that would make great movies (books that have been arround for many, many years and were never turned into a movie).
But I guess noone reads anything anymore these days.
Still Poseidon might become a well selling movie, the original one was fun for me when I was like 8 or 9... so kids might enjoy it ;)
CU
Elmar

rblitz7
12-16-2005, 09:39 PM
Oh I really hope they dont! Its such a cool movie and hollywood would just ruin it!

Leovinus
12-18-2005, 07:07 PM
Saw "The towering inferno" as a kid, it was fairly nice to me then, wouldn't want a remake of it though, it was complete as it was. Now i like ships in movies, it's just something about a floating city deviced as one of the most ultimate machines ever; just to work. I was a bit dissapointed at the original Poseidon Adventure because you didn't get a reference as to what exactly they had to go through. it's like an 11 story building upside down, in the original it looks like a small maze... dissapointing

The remake i think might convey that a little better, as long as they make you attached with the ship as an entity as well. Ghost Ship (beside some lacklustre performance) was really good in that, you felt with the ship in a strange kind of way, it was just an innocent setting. thing that bothered me most was that you only saw select parts of the ship in close up. And they come and say "All the lifeboats are gone!" and you've never seen anything else of the ship but in passing shots.

K-Sin
12-19-2005, 12:28 AM
Ok there had better be some big gods duking it out in this or its a terrible cross between titanic (which i rate higher as it's a true story) and perfect storm.

CB_3D
12-19-2005, 01:08 AM
Looks nice. The problem will be that everyone will compare it to Titanic.

Nice Boat, but these days itīs IMPOSSIBLE for a ship to stay upside down.

Dvd fodder. my ticket money will go to Superman and Xmen.

CB_3D
12-19-2005, 01:14 AM

You mean because of 9/11, right? Actually they are already making a dramatization of that...
Will be hard to pull off tastefully.

malducin
12-19-2005, 03:39 AM
Isn't this movie coming out at the same time as X3 and Superman?

More or less. Poseidon is slated for May 12, X3 for May 24, Superman Return for June 30 and MI3 for May 5.

Ok there had better be some big gods duking it out in this or its a terrible cross between titanic (which i rate higher as it's a true story) and perfect storm.

It's based on a novel by Paul Gallico which was previously done in 1972 by the master of disaster Irwin Allen.

The problem will be that everyone will compare it to Titanic.

As opposed to comparing Superman Returns with Donner's Superman? ;-)

CGTalk Moderation
12-19-2005, 03:39 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.