PDA

View Full Version : Painter Limitations?

PixelPlay
12-14-2005, 12:34 AM
Ok, I use Painter IX and love working in it and it is my only graphic app currently installed. But I constantly see people posting their art, claiming that it was painted in Painter and -- oh yeah -- finished in Photoshop CS. My question is, what am I missing by not having Photoshop? Apparently there must be some reason that most Painter users also include Photoshop in their tools to finish an image. What can PS contribute that Painter cannot?

Note:
I'm no artist. I'm just a down-in-the-basement-on-an-old-computer cg hobbiest so when it came time decide which of my old graphics software to upgrade, Fractal Design Painter 4 or Photoshop 4, I chose Painter since it looked like more fun to use and was cheaper. (Would have upgraded both but not enough money.)

nafa
12-14-2005, 12:46 AM
In your case, I don't think you are losing much by not having PS.

A lot of those who switch between Painter and PS are those who have already mastered PS before using Painter. Oftentimes, they switch when they wish to modify their work to a certain effect, and they know of certain PS filter/plugin that gives them that effect quickly.

If you really enjoy painting, you probably would acheive great satisfaction by achieving any special effects by painting them in Painter, although it takes more effort.

kraal
12-17-2005, 03:51 PM
i have to agree . there are a lot of pictures i finish with photoshop only because i know how to do certain adjustments FASTER in photoshop not saying they cannot be done in painter

frog
12-20-2005, 09:59 AM
For Painting Painter is obviously great, but many people will switch to Photoshop for things such as masking and selecting, colour correction, contrast adjustments etc... All of which Photoshop does much better than Painter.

Also some people (me included) like to use the Photoshop brush for certain things (like blocking in for instance) - it can't be reproduced in Painter.

CGTalk Moderation
12-20-2005, 09:59 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.