PDA

View Full Version : Details on Ghibli's Next Movie - Ursula K Le Guin's Earthsea

monsterboy
12-13-2005, 06:35 PM
Ghibli's next movie will be an adapation of Ursula K Le Guin's "A Wizard of Earthsea". Titled Gedo Senki (Gedo War History) it will be directed by Miyazaki. Well, his son anyway. This will be the first movie directed by Goro Miyazaki. According to Goro's production diary Miyazaki Senior is not happy about this at all.

I haven't read the books, so I don't know what to expect but any Ghibli movie gets my attention but the idea of Miyazaki's son directing seems a bit like a publicity gimic. Especially as he is not an animator by trade...hmm

A poster for the movie (released in Japan in July 2006) can be seen here (http://www.ghibli.jp/images/ged_poster01.jpg)

Ondrayce
12-13-2005, 07:48 PM
According to Goro's production diary Miyazaki Senior is not happy about this at all.

Any idea why?

CupOWonton
12-13-2005, 07:50 PM
Chances are it'll be better than the EarthSea Scifi channel series, right?

Bonedaddy
12-13-2005, 08:03 PM
Any idea why?

He wanted his son to be a dentist? :shrug:

monsterboy
12-13-2005, 08:05 PM
Any idea why?

I haven't found a definitive answer (the production site is in Japanese obviously), but I suspect it's because Goro Miyazaki has gone from being the director of the Ghibli Museum to animation without any animation experience. Miyazaki is either concerned that he doesn't know what he's getting himself into or he simply doesn't agree with his son's change of career. He may also think it stinks of nepotism.

SpiralFace
12-13-2005, 08:13 PM
If Miazaki sinior did'nt want his son directing, then how do you think he got the job to begin with? I was under the assumption that although Miazaki does'nt run Ghibli, he did have some major sway within the company. If he was so concerned of his son's inexperiance to direct a movie, I'm sure his concerns whould have been heard by the guys in charge. I doubt that Gooro could even make a career change like that without his father recomending him on some level.

It might be in the way that Gooro is handeling the movie in production. Well only time will tell, as I'm sure our Japanese friends here on these forums will tell us in July when the movie comes out.

Frank Lake
12-13-2005, 08:13 PM
It's more then likely the fact that the son is showing freewill after changing his career. Both are MAJOR no no's in that particular society.

But WTF Earthsea?!! The orginal stinks enough as is!

SpiralFace
12-13-2005, 08:20 PM
It's more then likely the fact that the son is showing freewill after changing his career. Both are MAJOR no no's in that particular society.

But WTF Earthsea?!! The orginal stinks enough as is!

But my question is how he went from running a meuseum to directing a feature length movie with no experiance what so ever? And as you said, its a no no in that sociaty, so who the heck allowed him to even make that carrer move. His dad must have had something to do with him getting the position, (more then just haveing the same last name.) and he might just be upset at the outlook of the movie itself, or his son's handleing of everything. I have'nt read the book, but if you say it stinks, then it might be looking bad by Miazaki seniors tastes.

Like I said, we'll see in a half a year.

monsterboy
12-13-2005, 08:57 PM
I don't think Miyazaki has a huge amount to do with the business side of things, that's down to Toshio Suzuki and the board. I can see this kind of decision happening inside Ghibli even with his objections.

Also, it's like only 6 months till the release, that's not an awful lot of time for an animated movie. Miyazaki Snr usually takes 2 + years. Perhaps that's why he's concerned...

Frank Lake
12-13-2005, 09:00 PM
It may have also been a studio 'stunt' to get more viewers since the "name" carry's so much weight with fans. It also maybe the now classic "sideways promotion" in order to dump him when he 'fails to meet expections'. But your right we'll see!

I've never bought the whole you "have to be trained as an animator to direct animation" line, and never will. It's simply the 'old boys'(this apply's in ALL businesses) not wanting an outsider(ie without years of working within that field) to order them around. "Old boys should direct Old boys!". It's 'safe', and doesn't advance any field.

joshmckenzie
12-13-2005, 11:16 PM
Here's what Ursula K LeGuin thought of the Sci Fi Channels adaptation of her book

A Whitewashed Earthsea: How the Sci Fi Channel wrecked my books (http://www.slate.com/id/2111107/)

I wonder what sort of changes Ghibli will make to the story - whatever they are, I'll still be happy to go and see the finished film.

angel
12-14-2005, 02:05 AM
interesting, God only knows what's going on behind the scenes and all the politics in the company... will see how this one turns out.

seven6ty1
12-14-2005, 02:44 AM
I've never bought the whole you "have to be trained as an animator to direct animation" line, and never will. It's simply the 'old boys'(this apply's in ALL businesses) not wanting an outsider(ie without years of working within that field) to order them around. "Old boys should direct Old boys!". It's 'safe', and doesn't advance any field.

Hmm, you're probably not an animator then, are you? I can't think of anything more grudgingly annoying then having to sit there and take orders from someone who doesn't have the slightest clue as to what they're doing or someone with less experience.

CGTalk Moderation
12-14-2005, 02:44 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.