PDA

View Full Version : hardware question

pow
12-13-2005, 12:05 PM
i am about to build a new workstation ( my ol' P4 2.4 and radeon 9200 is about to die , and i am freelance now ) and i've a few questions :

is the P4 D worth the price ?? i can get a p4 3.6 for the price of a p4 d 3.0
is the geforce 7800 GTX enough for maya ? ( i only do nurbs model , almost never render , and never use textures .. i design jewels so when i render ... only gold shader , diamond shaders .. no textures involved )

did n e one try the acer 24 " lcd monitor ?

I'll also will do some gaming ( essentially Age of empires III , I don't like FPS , and maybe a little of need for speed , but i prefer playin' on my Xbox which is connected to my marantz Tri lcd VP )

so my future workstation will be like this :

- P4 3.6 GhZ
- DDR2 667 : 2 x 1Go Samsung original
- Gigabyte Mobo ( don't remeber the name )
- Leadtek 7800 GTX
- 2x 160 Go Hitachi SATA II HDD
- Antec P180
- Antec true power 550 W
- Need to find a good monitor
- DVDR 110 D

- Epson stylus R320 ( just to Print invoices lol , and dvd labels and jackets )

lots
12-13-2005, 01:04 PM
Personally, I'd go for the AMD route. But the rest of the system looks to be made of solid parts.

The P4D is not very good. If you are going dual core, you might want to take a look at the Athlon64 X2. Clock for clock, the X2 is a better chip. Athlon64s in general are better at video games (since this is an interest) and most everything else...

The Geforce 7800GTX is a great card, I dont see any problems with this.

pow
12-13-2005, 01:38 PM
oki

i 've AMD at work right now and i'm not very fond of it .. with Maya it's kinda slower for trims than my p4 and it's a real mess with materialize Magics RP which i use to import my Iges and convert them to STL to prototype 'em ... i've some parts i can't import in magics on my amd , need to change computer to import 'em in RP on an intel workstation ... so i think i'll get stuck to intel 'till RP works better on amd workstations !

lots
12-13-2005, 03:56 PM
Which AMD CPU was that? I have not heard of any issues with AMD and Maya... There are hardly any quality differences between the two, these days.

If you are comparing an Athlon XP to a modern P4, then of cource it wont be that fast, the Athlon XP has been displaced by the Athlon64 for nearly 2 years.

Of cource I dont go looking for issues with Maya since I dont use it, so take that with a grain of salt. But as far as I know, through experience, most issues people have had in relation to AMD tend not to be the fault of the CPU, or the hardware for that matter... But due to badly setup/maintained systems. Most of the time problems lie in software. I've used AMD based systems since my Pentium II, and have never had a problem.

pow
12-13-2005, 04:11 PM
in fact the only trouble i got is the one i mentionned in my precedent post ... but i've always prefered intel to amd .. lol

lots
12-13-2005, 04:29 PM
Fair enough :P I'm just saying :)

Speaking purely in Intel terms, the P4 D will definately help with rendering due to the extra core, while it is not an ideal design (has a very badly bottlenecked FSB), it should give better results than a single core P4. At least in terms of rendering. When it comes to UI speed, the faster single core P4 will give you better performance. Most UIs are not multithreaded, and will not take advantage of the extra core. In either case, I suspect you'll be happy with the performance :P A 7800GTX paired with a modern processor will definatly boost your performance over your old 2.4 and radeon 9200 ;)

Though keep in mind that I still recommend an X2 :P

pow
12-15-2005, 10:19 AM
MACHINE ORDERED !!!

Will be delivered in 10 days ... long delays but i am happy :

here's the new config :

Gigabyte mobo : GIGABYTE (INTEL) GA-8N SLI ROYAL (http://www.grosbill.com/fr/informatique/carte-mere/1-80/25645/carte-mere-GIGABYTE-)
Processor : P4 3.4 GhZ
Ram : 2x 1Gb Samsung DDR2 667
Leadtek Gefroce 7800 GTX
300 Gb SATA II maxtor HDD
Belinea 10 20 35 W Monitor

250 Tvix HDD

i hope this will be enough to run maya ;)

CGTalk Moderation
12-15-2005, 10:19 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.