PDA

View Full Version : Self Portrait

retardedmonkey
12-13-2005, 02:57 AM
Ok well I usually dont get alot of replies on things I do, but hopefully I can get some helpfull comments on this. I just grabed a pic off my comp to use as reference....is that like..um.. cheating?? This is like my 3rd paintng in photoshop, and I really want to improve my painting skills, so if all you pros could help me out I would aprreciate it :)

The places I will have major problems in will be the hair and the blending in of colors. Very early stages right now, I figured this is the best way to do it; rough out the colors then I am planning to smooth it out....so here it is.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v112/slinkysmeagol/Military%20Vehicles/bcead041.jpg

Please crit this!

byvfx
12-13-2005, 04:33 AM
ok, well go ahead and block out the hair.. don't worry about details or blending yet.
also looks as if your cheek bone is alittle low.. umm also.. watch your hand. make sure thats in good proporation as well, other than that it's looking good! keep it up

-B

JesseBlunt
12-13-2005, 06:00 AM
Looking good so far. Check out the tutorials at www.furiae.com in the gallery. Not very specific, but definitely some good pointers in there about custom brushes and opacity levels and basic instruction to give you some ideas. I'm new to digital painting, too, but that site in particular inspired me to keep at it and showed some results pretty quickly.

I work from pictures too, so don't think it's cheating. Here's my the first painting I tried after checking out the site above http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b385/jesseblunt/detail.jpg. A lot of artists use reference photos to get poses and proportions correct and set up a painting. The better you get, the less you rely directly on a photo and the easier it is to go at it freehand. Also, if you're using a mouse to draw, you might consider looking into a drawing tablet, especially if you're serious about doing this stuff. I'm looking to get my first Wacom after the first of the year and I've heard it is a very useful (often described as a necessity) for painting.

Good Luck!

retardedmonkey
12-14-2005, 12:02 AM
Well I didnt get to start the hair, cuz I didnt really get on the comp till later. Thanks alot for the help guys, jesseblunt that site was awsome, helped me out alot! All I really did was up the resolution and kind of start blending some colors together. I am trying to mess with textured brushes, is it better to use only textured brushes or mix them...

Here is the small update, gonna post a link cuz its kind of big.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v112/slinkysmeagol/Military%20Vehicles/807e240b.jpg

dimi16
12-14-2005, 12:07 AM
i really like the soft paintardly look keep that going, i wouldraise the cheek bone up maybe a tad and work on the wrinkles ont he shirt a bunch but besides that its looking great keep it up!

-Regards
Dimitri

CGTalk Moderation
12-14-2005, 12:07 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.