PDA

View Full Version : Rigid/Soft Body Dynamics - Digital Tutors DVD

dwigfor
12-13-2005, 12:40 AM
Anyone own the Digital Tutors Rigid/Soft Body Dynamics DVD? What's your opinion of it? I was thinking of asking for it for Xmas. How much covers the 4.2 RBD and how much is the new 5.0 RBD? I'm still on 4.2 Ess but hopefully will be upgrading shortly.

Really interested in the rag doll rig and the car rig..

Chris-TC
12-13-2005, 02:08 PM
If I'm not mistaken the entire tutorial dvd was done in XSI 5. Some lessons show the differences between the old and the new RBD engine, but most of them use PhysX.

power
12-13-2005, 02:25 PM
I am glad you asked. All DVD-s I bought from them are terrific. I just wanted to ask other users of the RBD DVD if they have encountered same prob. In Chapter 1 lesson on domino when I run the simulation and want to go back to the first frame - the dominos (cubes) do not go to their original straight position (on the constrain curve), but remain in fallen, dissarrayed state. I do not know what to do and wanted to contact DT to help me, but came across this thread first. Thanks for any help. For those who have not seen the DVD: create a cube (domino shaped rectangle) - multiple duplicate it for 7 other pcs - create Acrtive Rigid Body from their selection. Make another cube - base - create passive rigid body. Create gravity. Run. The domino cubes will fall onto the base. Sometimes they fall apart (gravity is too strong and I want them just to lower towards the ground base from initial position). In that case I go back in animation to first frame, but dominos do not assume this first original poisition. many thanks for any comments, help.

pls
12-13-2005, 11:25 PM
Hello Power. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to reproduce the same initial state problem you're running into. You're more than welcome to upload the file with the problem so that we can investigate it. You can do so here or at our Helpdesk. Thanks.
http://www.digitaltutors.com/digital_tutors/helpdesk.php

power
12-14-2005, 02:21 AM
Hi Pls,

Many thanks for your response,which is very welcome! Since I am travelling out of the country and use hotel internet access w/o capability to plug in my computer - will have to do it later. This means that I may be doing something wrong from within my prog, which I will investigate further. Many thanks again.

EternalArt
12-14-2005, 08:39 PM
I bought the RBD from Dt ... I think it's rock ...
And for the domino I apply the lesson .. it's work with me ..

power
12-18-2005, 09:49 AM
Yes, it works for me now too. I had to remove the path curve and have no problem whatsoever. Lesson learned - to follow the tutorial exactly as they explain.

They have a great collection. All I want now from DT is a car modelling tutorial and a cloth one - which should be fairly easy for them to port to XSI, since they have it already made for Maya...

Best regards to all and thanks again for your help.

LemonNado
12-18-2005, 10:02 PM
Check out
http://www.3dquakers.com
They have a great Car rigging tutorial. Personally I prefer 3dquakers and http://www.3dtutorial.com/ over dt as dt tends to be a tad flat when it comes to contents. But that's only my personal opinion.
Lemo

CGTalk Moderation
12-18-2005, 10:02 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.