PDA

View Full Version : US Girl Has Seizure After 5 Hours Of Video Gaming

RobertoOrtiz
12-12-2005, 06:58 PM
Quote:

"A central Iowa mother woke up over the weekend to find her daughter having a seizure.

After a trip to the emergency room, a family learned that the cause was most likely from playing video games too long, Des Moines television station KCCI reported.

Doctors said such incidents are not common, but they do happen. Certain people are prone to it because of the way their brains work. Once was enough for 14-year-old Amy Kopaska.

She loves to play video games, the station reported. She spent five hours straight playing a video game over the weekend. Her marathon session led to a frightening situation. "

>>LINK<< (http://www.thepittsburghchannel.com/technology/5500521/detail.html)

-R

xino
12-12-2005, 07:18 PM
I wonder how many people will use this to blame video games for yet something else, instead of the parents.

AP Reuters reports: "This just in: video games are responsible for your children's medical problems!" ;)

enygma
12-12-2005, 07:19 PM
Can't say the game maker didn't warn her... ;)

Or did they? I don't know if they saw the percautions in the manual. I know a number of Gamecube games lately have that warning before you play the game about having siezures. The Nintendo DS warns you every time you turn the unit on.

mummey
12-12-2005, 07:53 PM
The Game was: True Crime: New York City.

My only question is: This issue has come up before. Does this game have a history of it and/or does it have a warning?

arquebus
12-12-2005, 08:04 PM
My only question is: This issue has come up before. Does this game have a history of it and/or does it have a warning?

I think its something that has just started happening in the last few years due to the realistic graphics that games are now capable of. I think it usually happens to people who are new to playing video games. Some games even have warnings about how to stay far from the screen and play in a well lit area to lower the emersion effect.

FloydBishop
12-12-2005, 08:48 PM
I had a friend in college with no history of epilepsy have a seizure after one match of Mortal Kombat III on the SNES. It freaked him out so bad, he never played the SNES ever again, and won't play console games at all.

The match ended, and his hands just started shaking, like if you were air drumming to Offspring or something. He couldn't stop them for a few minutes. The mind is a strange thing.

heavyness
12-12-2005, 08:57 PM
most games and most game systems have warnings in them about seizures. i'm sure the press will jump on this because there isn't anything else news worthy right now. also, she is 14 and playing True Crimes?...

actually, *better she found out in the comfort of her home then maybe, behind a steering wheel or alone some where without a family member close-by.

[*i'm not saying it was a good thing at all, just of where it happened and someone was close to get her help]

i get a bit motion sickness from Call of Duty 2, but then again, i get sick sitting in the back seat of some cars. everything effects everyone is different ways.

gavin_hughes
12-12-2005, 09:00 PM
I had a friend in college with no history of epilepsy have a seizure after one match of Mortal Kombat III on the SNES. It freaked him out so bad, he never played the SNES ever again, and won't play console games at all.

The match ended, and his hands just started shaking, like if you were air drumming to Offspring or something. He couldn't stop them for a few minutes. The mind is a strange thing.

did he win or lose...

he probably got own3d and needed an excuse. :D

UrbanFuturistic
12-12-2005, 09:04 PM
It's not entirely impossible that it is that specific game, there were some theories concerning photosensitive epilepsy and certain frequencies of light. I believe certain shades of red were involved (although I may be wrong).

Couldn't find much on it but this (http://www.ofcom.org.uk/consult/condocs/Broadcasting_code/broadcasting_code/annex8/#content) is interesting.

On the other hand, in this case I wouldn't automatically blame the parent either. Some people are just unlucky.

regards, Paul

CupOWonton
12-12-2005, 09:07 PM
Sounds like a job for:

DUN DUN DU-DUNNNN!

WACKO JACKO!
SUPER POWERED VIDEO GAME HATING ATTORNEY!

Capel
12-12-2005, 10:08 PM
5 hours straight? that's NOTHIN. man i remember the days of FFVII and Secret of Mana all nighters.

jmBoekestein
12-12-2005, 10:16 PM
Suffice to say my last 6 hours were spent on either choppy frmarates or intense screenflashes. I just got a new gfx card you see. Past few weeks, everyday was like that. And I've got two games waiting in the line up. I love pixelshaders, really really luuuuv them.

If computer games hadn't existed and she would have been consuming exotic herbs on the street, she might have had a fit as well. It's speculation since they couldn't have measured her brain activity in an emergency room.

As a kid I always wondered how they managed to double check everything that came into the news room, apparently... they don't.

XLNT-3d
12-13-2005, 01:01 AM
crap! I've got epilepsy and I play games all the time. I played Rally2 for 6 hours straight from 11pm-5am. Plus I work on animation at work. I played american football in high school in hopes of knocking my brain right, but to no avail.

You can trip down the stairs, bump your head and have a seizure. The tv flickering could do it. It probably has more to do with the greasy junk food she eats.

mummey
12-13-2005, 01:05 AM
At least it wasn't DDR... :hmm:

Whelkn
12-13-2005, 01:43 AM
5 hours straight? that's NOTHIN. man i remember the days of FFVII and Secret of Mana all nighters.

We just better not let my dad catch us stealing ice cream in the middle of the night--- We might break an expensive piece of equipment when we are staggering in the dark!

erilaz
12-13-2005, 02:03 AM

Remember? That was last night!:D

Scotti Leslie
12-13-2005, 02:05 AM
Sadly, I have a mild seizure problem that prevents me from playing anything that resembles a "first person shooter" style of graphics. Most RPG's and all strategy games are OK. I get it with consoles and PCs. I played through Halo1 ten minutes at a time, with at least two hours in between bouts! Talk about planning your moves in advance!

Wintermute
12-13-2005, 02:37 AM
I'm pretty sure I've seen epilepsy warnings in every manual for every video game I've owned from the 8-bit Sega Master System through Xbox and Nintendo DS

The DS is by far the most in-your-face about health issues with it's warning on startup. Although I think that has more to do with RSI and eyestrain, but epilepsy warnings would be included in that section.

and only 5 hours!? Bah! Kids… I've done 12+ hours of Marathon 2 in network play (power macs 7100 and 6100 over appletalk phonenet!)

:beer:

eliseu gouveia
12-13-2005, 03:40 AM
The good news is she was playing True Crime.

Meaning that girls aren´t confined to The Sim, DDR or Final Fantasy anymore. :D

simps
12-13-2005, 12:50 PM
She was probably playing I love Katamari for five hours straight...that would explain it.

Romero
12-13-2005, 05:11 PM
People blame video game for everything these days. Next things you know, there gonna blame the Aids pendemic on Double Dragon. HOw about a more rational way of thinking ie) her diet,family history or something a bit more realistic, like what she was really doing before playing video games. So tired of hearing about the bad influences of video games, what about the good ones. Increased hand eye co-ordination, thicker skin on the thumb and index area, increased short term memory,increased learning and comprehention of the english language, problem solving skills etc. Unfortunetly I have no documentation to back these fine example, although i must say if someone were to stab my thumb with a knife, I have a good feeling the blade would snap.

jmBoekestein
12-13-2005, 05:27 PM
one thing that has been backed up by research is this:

normal people will be able to track 3 targets at a time normally, a well versed gamer on the other han d might track up to 12 at a time. This means less roadkill for starters, I got my licence in 2 weeks time and never fall over when drunk. :wise: Stop making a fuss allready.

marcusss
12-13-2005, 05:43 PM
People blame video game for everything these days. Next things you know, there gonna blame the Aids pendemic on Double Dragon. HOw about a more rational way of thinking ie) her diet,family history or something a bit more realistic, like what she was really doing before playing video games. So tired of hearing about the bad influences of video games...(snip)

This is not blindly blaming videogames. Video games DO cause seizures; it is a scientifically proven fact. There is a reason there are warnings about epilepsy in every video game manual. In fact, to be accurate, its not the video game per se, but rather rapid lightpulses that can cause seizures. And the degree of realism has nothing to do with it, as a flashing white screen can cause seizures too. Fatigue and a visually intense game with lots of contrasts and flashing is bound to cause seizures in people vulnerable to epilepsy.

Mark'Huss

UrbanFuturistic
12-13-2005, 05:53 PM
5 hours straight? that's NOTHIN. man i remember the days of FFVII and Secret of Mana all nighters.I just got Black and White 2, it's a baad baad gaaame:

"Ehhh, I'll go to bed at midnight"

"Ehhh, I'll go to bed at one"

"Ehhh, I'll go to bed at half one"

"two"

"quarter past"At least it wasn't DDR... :hmm:For five hours? Is that even possible? :applause:

regards, Paul

eek
12-13-2005, 06:38 PM
Can this happen if you look at cgtalk for 5 hours straight....

i wonder.

eek

Romero
12-13-2005, 06:45 PM
This is not blindly blaming videogames. Video games DO cause seizures; it is a scientifically proven fact.

I beg to differ.

rather rapid lightpulses that can cause seizures.

Mark'Huss

Thats sounds a bit more accurate. Although does that mean that they should have warnings in bars and clubs, as well as concerts,fireworks crazy flash sites,and anything else that flickers. The point I am making is that it is such an over used broad statement.

UrbanFuturistic
12-13-2005, 07:19 PM
I've already linked to an Ofcom consultation paper regarding UK broadcasting regulations in respect to this. (http://www.ofcom.org.uk/consult/condocs/Broadcasting_code/broadcasting_code/annex8/#content)

High contrast flashing between black and red or black and any extremely bright value or repeating patterns of a kind that are likely to have a similar flashing/contrast effect are bad. This means that moire effects in a game could potentially trigger a seizure.

regards, Paul

Capel
12-13-2005, 07:21 PM
We just better not let my dad catch us stealing ice cream in the middle of the night--- We might break an expensive piece of equipment when we are staggering in the dark!

"Jeeeremy... What in the hell?" yeah, your dad could be pretty intimidating at times.

geez, i wonder if anyone on this site has figured out that we know each other by now?

Apollux
12-13-2005, 07:25 PM
I wonder what the consecuences would be if she had spent 5 straight hours with one of those home Karaoke systems?

That would CERTAINLY cause more than just a seizure !! :eek:

Now honestly, I just hope for she to get well soon (and that the mother had the precaution of saving her advances in the game).

Capel
12-13-2005, 07:25 PM
Remember? That was last night!:D

yeah, man. i gotta say, i've kinda grown out of games. it sucks, cuz i WANT to play them, but for some reason they just can't hold my interest for more than a half hour or so nowadays.... lame.

SpiralFace
12-13-2005, 07:34 PM
This is not blindly blaming videogames. Video games DO cause seizures; it is a scientifically proven fact. There is a reason there are warnings about epilepsy in every video game manual. In fact, to be accurate, its not the video game per se, but rather rapid lightpulses that can cause seizures. And the degree of realism has nothing to do with it, as a flashing white screen can cause seizures too. Fatigue and a visually intense game with lots of contrasts and flashing is bound to cause seizures in people vulnerable to epilepsy.

Mark'Huss

I'm no medical expert, but is'nt this also true of watching a rasterized TV for an extended period of time with shows that might show alot of fast action or gun flashes? I understand that Videogames is a whole lot worse then TV when it comes to the flashes and everything, but I just remember hearing that the rasterazation of your non-hd TV could potentialy have the same effects on someone with Epilepsy. (Enhanced by shows like Poke'mon.)

And come on guys. Don't make fun of this or try to turn this issue into a "oh of corse, just point the finger at games again," thread. People with Epilepsy can die or get seriously hurt from doing this. Its a warning that is at the beginning of every system and game instruction manual in existance. I have'nt heard yet about any kind of media groups going around and blameing game makers or manufacturers for this, so I just see this as a story to bring awareness that this COULD happen to you if you play games for an extended period. Expecialy if you don't know if you have Epilepsy. And you know that parents not familiar with games don't know this stuff, so thats all I see this is. A news message to bring awareness to other parents out there that don't know the risks of kids with Epilepsy playing games.

Boone
12-13-2005, 08:15 PM
I did seven hours straight playing King Kong on the PS2. It was 3am in the morning when the back of my throat began to ache and build up snot...that was last week and I still have the damn cold :argh:

I also remember playing FFVII from 11am to 10pm the day I got it in the post, but I did atleast take a few 20min breaks as playing non-stop isn't a great idea... :hmm:

CupOWonton
12-13-2005, 08:42 PM
I dont remember anyone suffering seisures wile playing Robotron for long hours. And that was about as stimulating and flashy as it got. Enough burning neon colors to turn your retena's into charred donuts of pain.

Games dont CAUSE seisures, they may TRIGGER one, but its not the CAUSE.

Boone
12-13-2005, 08:46 PM
Re: Cupowonton.

Its a pleasure to have you on our forums Mr Chuck Norris! :D

Hoser
12-13-2005, 09:12 PM
"The best thing about LCD’s is that they have a flicker-free image, whereas CRT’s are constantly flashing at a fast rate (usually too fast to see), which is fatiguing even if you cannot consciously perceive the flashing. Actually, LCDs do flash — fluorescent lights flash, and as I said, LCDs have a fluorescent backlight. However, the fluorescents in modern LCDs flash at such a very high rate that it does not seem to cause fatigue (not true of old LCDs). Try this test: Open a blank word processing document on the computer so that the screen is mostly displaying white. Then get a thick black felt-tip marker pen, and wave it rapidly back and forth in front of the screen. Look at the screen not the pen."

Anyone know of anyone who has had a seisure on an LCD? Just wondering if it makes a difference?

CupOWonton
12-13-2005, 09:23 PM
Re: Cupowonton.

Its a pleasure to have you on our forums Mr Chuck Norris! :D

What? Uh, pleasure to be here, but, Chuck Norris?

Boone
12-13-2005, 10:08 PM
Re: CupOWonton.

LOL - don't worry its a joke in relating to the Chuck Norris thread earler this week... :beer:

Lordiego01
12-13-2005, 10:33 PM
Watch them sue some manufacture or developer...

then the girl gets a whole lotta money...

then she goes right out the door and gets a 360 or a PS3 with a WHOLE bunch of games..

laureato di arte
12-13-2005, 11:06 PM
I suffer from a type of graphical glitch phobia, does anybody else suffer from this? If i see a graphical glitch in a game I get realy intense shivers down my spine that make me shudder, I also have this intense feeling of my stomache area contracting. I have the same feeling when i have bad dreams, and when working in 3d.

itsallgoode9
12-13-2005, 11:14 PM
I could be wrong, but I think I read an article about videogames and seizures a while ago and one of reasons why video games have a higher potentential of triggereing seizures is since nothing is motion blurred and the brain notices this even if you may not.....not so much because of the flashing lights. If that's correct, i thought it was kinda interesting.

XLNT-3d
12-14-2005, 01:28 AM
lack of sleep and stress are big factors in triggering seizures. You'll find both in a gamer I am sure.

rock
12-14-2005, 03:39 AM
That's why we should keep these threads short and to the point, not drag on like fingernails on a blackboard - too much time reading these flame threads could be hazardous to our health.

XLNT-3d
12-14-2005, 04:24 AM
its a good excuse to being late for work. Tell them you had to sleep an extra 30 minutes so you don't have a seizure at work.

Antediluvian
12-14-2005, 05:10 AM
I'm no medical expert, but is'nt this also true of watching a rasterized TV for an extended period of time with shows that might show alot of fast action or gun flashes? I understand that Videogames is a whole lot worse then TV when it comes to the flashes and everything, but I just remember hearing that the rasterazation of your non-hd TV could potentialy have the same effects on someone with Epilepsy. (Enhanced by shows like Poke'mon.)

Its probably less a risk because of differences in audience behavior.
When watching a TV show its easier to get distracted by your enviroment, giving your brain a few valuable fractions of a second to shrug of these effects.

Playing a game requires constant attention, not that much time for food, drink or whatever would give your brain a break, making things worse.

Sagii
12-14-2005, 12:24 PM
The good news is she was playing True Crime.

Meaning that girls aren´t confined to The Sim, DDR or Final Fantasy anymore. :D

ahem.. no we are not. :D I have actually never played the Sims :shrug:

laureato di arte
12-14-2005, 12:41 PM
I suffer from a type of graphical glitch phobia, does anybody else suffer from this? If i see a graphical glitch in a game I get realy intense shivers down my spine that make me shudder, I also have this intense feeling of my stomache area contracting. I have the same feeling when i have bad dreams, and when working in 3d. does nobody feel my pain? or am i jus wierd..

BigErn
12-14-2005, 02:04 PM
Ohwell, she aint going to make it as a pro gamer! there are other careers.. a nothing story about nothing at all.. move along. Hope she is ok tho.. :D

CGTalk Moderation
12-14-2005, 02:04 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.