PDA

View Full Version : 5 sides and triangles

Domo_Digital
12-12-2005, 05:54 PM
Im just curious, I know you shouldnt have 5 sided poly's or triangles when using Z brush, but if Im not going to be displacing the areas with 5 sided'ers (is that a word :P )then should I worry about it?

I have a Zombie head Im doing, with flesh and bone exposed, the bone has lots of 5 sided and tri's but Im not planning on displacing the bone, just the flesh.

So is it fine to have the 5 sides within Zbrush if I wont be displacing them?

JesseDavis
12-13-2005, 12:13 AM
i didn't know zbrush would let you edit a mesh with more than 4 sides. If it does, please do tell how.

mhovland
12-13-2005, 03:05 AM
It doesn't. Zbrush will convert all non 3 and 4 sided poly's into tris and quads.

To the original question, if you aren't doing any work in Zbrush on the bone, at least aren't exporting any maps for the bone, I don't think you will have a problem. This is of course just an educated guess, not tested at all.

_vine_
12-13-2005, 04:29 AM
mhovland is right about Zbrush converting all your n-sided faces into tri and quads.

You should have gotten a warning message when you imported your obj that said just that.

This can be a problem because I've seen Zbrush do some weird stuff with UVs when it converts the faces. If they are on shell borders you might find UVs with horrible stretching, etc.

I wouldn't plan on definitely being able to generate working normal or displacement maps in Zbrush.

Otherwise you should be fine.

CGTalk Moderation
12-13-2005, 04:29 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.