PDA

View Full Version : Linda's thread of… stuff (nudity)

Enayla
12-12-2005, 12:58 AM
So, er, I thought I'd make one of these. At some points, yeah, I will post WIPs in here... for the most part, I suspect I'll post sketches, tiny paintings that just won't be big or complicated enough for the gallery (and rarely for my site), and other things I do that I find fun but not serious enough. There's just a lot of stuff I never show anyone, really, because I have nowhere to put them.

Hm... I'll start off with a few pictures I've posted here and there, before. My Urban Dead Characters. I suppose I've been in a zombie-mood as of late, because of that game. Mostly it's been fun for me to sit down and make portraits that are very atypical of me – these might be girls and they might be sort of pretty, but they're not elegant and graceful and enticing by any means. At least I hope not.

These portraits were all done almost exclusively in Painter.

Meet,
Glitz:
http://www.furiae.com/images/glitz.jpg

Soot:
http://www.furiae.com/images/soot.jpg

Hushed:
http://www.furiae.com/images/hushed.jpg
http://www.furiae.com/images/hushedwhee.jpg
(yes, I accidentally left the birth mark out >__< I'll try to add it later)

Secondly, I'm finally getting around to the roleplaying game campaign that I painted The Ladies of London for, way, way back. Yay! I'm working on finishing some NPC portraits and concept sketches for it that might be essential for the pure fun of the game.

Since I'm still stuck in zombie-mode, I decided to paint one of the puppets that will show up in my Victorian London. I decided to make her nude. I don't paint nude characters often so I thought I could take the liberty this time – as the puppets themselves are very, very rarely dressed (raised as they are from the morgue). I don't find the nudity tasteless, and I hope you don't, either.

http://www.furiae.com/images/puppetgirl.jpg

I wanted to paint her a little less than traditionally beautiful, with relatively small breasts and wider hips and legs. She took me longer than I had expected, and I decided not to do a background for her – it felt as if she, and the painting as a whole, just wouldn't benefit that much, and I don't feel like spending all those additional hours on what is, really, just a concept painting that I'm sure the players will glance at and then not think about, once they've encountered her. Painted about 50/50, Painter and Photoshop.

This one in particular will be the, er, ex-friend of one of the characters in the story... the encounter with an old acquaintance in such a state will hopefully be more than a bit unsettling. MWAHAHAHAH.

:cough:

For my next update, I'll try to make the pictures a little less ghoulish, I promise. In closure, I'll share the latest Azreality strip I did, after I had seen Corpse Bride.

http://www.furiae.com/images/corpsebride.gif

Jaycee77
12-12-2005, 01:06 AM
As usual with your work I totally love it. I have to say that I particularly love "Soot". It has a look of borderline innocence/turmoil that I find very interesting.

As I had said, overall great work here, I am looking very forward to seeing more.

Alice
12-12-2005, 01:11 AM
Grymt! :)

Thanks for posting your wips and scetches, your a true inspiration! Not just your style and so but your continuing efforts and your strife to always make it better. Always pushing the limits. Thats the most inspirational thing about your work.

TheNeverman
12-12-2005, 01:16 AM
Lovely work Linda,

Several smiles looking thru this thread. Very nice mood and tone captured in each piece.

erilaz
12-12-2005, 01:35 AM
About freakin' time Linda! :D I like seeing the tiny sketchy workings of your crazy brain.

Now post many thingssssss....

danielh68
12-12-2005, 02:14 AM
Cool, you started a thread. Fantastic work, I love your skin temperatures and your knack for translucency.

yerffej
12-12-2005, 02:22 AM
Great stuff Linda,I see you've grown attached to the pallete knife.^__^Now I'm hoping you'll do a tutorial(preferably skin)for all the Painter users.Wishful thinking,at least you came over half-way to our side.^_*

MichaelZHsee
12-12-2005, 03:35 AM
this is something new linda~glad to have u post ur artworks in the wip forums,would definitely love to see more:scream:

Rebeccak
12-12-2005, 03:40 AM
Great work! :thumbsup:

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

shyamshriram
12-12-2005, 03:45 AM
:bowdown:
THANX FOR SHARING ! :love:

depleteD
12-12-2005, 05:00 AM
I think its safe to say that I would kill to paint that good. Yea. Definatley safe.

animalunae
12-12-2005, 06:14 AM
<- Loving Glitz so much *sigh*

*Edit* Lin, I'm glad you are finally picking up your Victorian RPG, I really am.

Vrav
12-12-2005, 06:59 AM
Awesome awesome awesome.

As they said, thanks for sharing.

The new one (puppet girl) is very nice, and in fact, I had been wondering recently if you ever painted nudes. The hands, though, are my favorite part. Your hands and faces are so good, you know. Putting information together, it seems the next artistic tool I need to save up for after having bought the long-desired tablet last summer, is a nice little digital camera to snap reference shots of hands, poses and faces. One thing I'd love to be able to do, is create my own reference to work from (because then I could more easily try to draw whatever I want). The more one works from reference and from life, the better one is able to work from the head, and that will eventually lead to sufficiently realistic drawings done without reference at all... or so I am attempting to convince myself into believing the progression of. And such a tool would probably speed that sort of thing up.

[/rambling] :shrug:

Again, very nice works! I hope you continue to post in this new thread.

nobodee
12-12-2005, 07:08 AM
('twas about darn time :D)

I find zombie!Hushed veeery pretty. Even prettier than her human form. Errm.

I love what you did with the puppet girl, because it's nice to see a real-looking girl every once in a while :)
Tasteless nudity is far, far away from what you (and most artists) do ;)

Squibbit
12-12-2005, 08:16 AM
Nice doodles, u paint alot?

I really wouldn't give up just yet, i think u gots potential
to do some pro stuff some day :thumbsup:

animalunae
12-12-2005, 08:40 AM
Whaaa hehe, nice reply squib :)

Gord-MacDonald
12-12-2005, 08:49 AM
yippee!!!
(sorry - I didn't know what else to say)

Gord

Mu
12-12-2005, 09:21 AM
squibbit - go and cast your vote for "newcomer most probable to make it" in the general discussion!:scream:

Linda,

It is exciting to see these wips as they are slightly different from your usual work.

I don't find the nudity tasteless

tasteless...err no... how about fascinating? Enchanting? awe-inspiring?

I wanted to paint her a little less than traditionally beautiful, with relatively small breasts and wider hips and legs.

Apart from the fact that I still think she's got quite thin legs and hips (it's just that the waist is even thinner, lol) having seen this I am convinced that the only thing you will have a hard time painting is make anything come out in an ugly way.
Heck, even the half-rotten zombie faces look attractive.

I think it's because you can depict forms so masterful one cannot but feel happy staring at them...

noShame
12-12-2005, 11:55 AM
They are all lovely, but I especially like Hushed nr2, the eyes, the fleshy cheek, well everything about her. Amazing work, really!

K. Scott Gant
12-12-2005, 02:59 PM
Great work Linda

Have to ask, before winning the Master & Servant contest and getting as one of he prizes Painter, had you worked with this program at all? I know you worked mainly in Photoshop before and now I see on these paintings you said you're using Painter.

If you are using it more now, how do you like it? Was it a big switch from Photoshop for you in getting used to the way it works and it's brushes? Also, which part of Painter do you mainly use? The Artists oils or what?

Just interested. I'm always fascinated by the actual "craft" of the artist as well as the art itself.

Elsie
12-12-2005, 04:10 PM
I adore the stuff you do just in painter, Linda :love: the brush strokes and kooky feel to all these is just wonderful, very inspiring for someone just trying to get to grips with the program. I love the oversized eyes of the Urban Dead characters...the colours in all your pieces are always so beautiful. Great to see you started one of these threads :bounce:

beelow
12-12-2005, 05:05 PM
Hahahaha! That was a great one squib, you have nice renders, I love your colors of choice which blows me away!

Sylanya
12-12-2005, 05:56 PM
I have a quick question for you, Linda. I see that you're using Painter for those zombie portraits. So I was just wondering, what are your favored brushes in Painter. See I just recently bought Painter, and I am completely confounded by it. I have not a clue what I'm doing in that program. I was just wondering if you were using oils or...something else?

Love the portraits by the way. I recently made a character in UD but I don't know what I'm doing in there either. I only have I think 6 AP left, already been attacked like 10 times by a zombie and I have no clue where I am. But I like my character, Cherrilee. She's a red head. I love Soot and Glitz faces, they are so sad and scared, but very pretty. Hushed the zombie is really cool too. Hushed the human just creeps me out, LOL. But I love them.

Can't wait to see more!

GonzaloGolpe
12-12-2005, 06:15 PM
"soot", oohoo what a glance! hey, I think you should try to draw more,I think you have talent....:p :D

paperclip
12-12-2005, 07:24 PM
I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE your cartoons, possibly even more than your paintings :blush: I'm a cartoonophile, what can I say?

This one I particularly like (snatched from your site)
http://www.furiae.com/gallery/newtoy.gif (http://javascript<b></b>:window.close();)

and.........

http://www.furiae.com/gallery/lindazzy.gif (http://javascript<b></b>:window.close();)

I think our cats would be best friends.

EDIT: Whoops. sorry. Won't link again.

navate
12-12-2005, 07:48 PM
I've missed those, except for the Hushed ones! So nice to see you posting your concept work here. :] You really combine Painter and PS beautifully. I adore the puppetgirl. Your skintones are CRAZY anymore. Good lord woman. o_o

You need to pop into ICQ sometime. I haven't talked to you in forever. :(

Pekeca
12-12-2005, 10:08 PM
Hello, i just joined and saw your work. Wow!

Anyway, they all look great but Soot would have to be my favourite. Shes eerily beautiful.

mornie
12-12-2005, 10:20 PM
:worship:

Ooohh.. neat. Glitz looks like she could be someone I know... she looks more, I dunno, "normal" than your usual characters. Not that I'm complaining! Its just she's not as other-wordly beautiful. :) Soot looks like a doll... kinda freaky. o_O

I notice they all seem to have big eyes and slightly unrealistic proportions. Is this a new style you're trying out?

Lovely. :)

:runs and hides:

fooxoo
12-13-2005, 02:50 PM
Eh, my Muse ...

Monster_General
12-13-2005, 03:54 PM
Hey Linda . you are the best artist I have ever seen about success in combining Beauty and Horror also '' live colours '' using ... I really like them ... Just impressed me ... Looking forward to more :beer:

digital-bobert
12-14-2005, 12:17 AM
Just wonderful! I'm so glad you started this thread. I'll definitely be keeping an eye out for this thread. I'm very much a fan of your work Linda.

JMcWilliams
12-14-2005, 02:19 AM
This is gonna be good! (well, it already is.... but you get what I mean)

allmanjames
12-14-2005, 07:05 PM
Thank you for posting your work. Please make more so I may have the pleasure of viewing them.

jmBoekestein
12-14-2005, 07:07 PM
Great stuff. I'm going to be watching as long as I still can.

I have ti say the top 2 are still more on the elegant graceful side except they both seem a bit shocked. Or maybe just as if they have lost their composure. Just gotta love that smudge of dirty blood on Glitz's face, even going to her mouth. Yuch... lol.

You have a great way with colours, I'm going to be watching you to learn more of these 'so called colours'.

Good luck on the game, looks promising. :)

:thumbsup:

adam-crockett
12-15-2005, 08:17 AM
I love your colors! I cant wait to see more on this thread. My fave so far is the girl biting her lip. : )

umbrellasky
12-15-2005, 04:07 PM
Awsome. I love seeing your concept sketches, they have such character. Thanks for starting this thread It's allways a pleasure viewing your work.

(LOL Squib! :p)

Icey
12-15-2005, 09:22 PM
what can i say...
i think you are the best this forum has... love every single thing you do!!

please post more!

K. Scott Gant
12-16-2005, 07:51 AM
Once again Linda drops a huge bomb of artwork on us all and then leaves us asking questions and heaping (justified) praise on her....then she disappears.

Linda? Where are you? Come back!

Enayla
12-16-2005, 07:58 AM
Oh, yay, thank you everyone :D I'm a little too tired to give individual replies, but I'll try to answer the questions asked here, instead.

About Painter: I don't think I'll ever entirely abandon Photoshop. It just seems that some things are so much slower in Painter. The program as a whole is far more complicated, and I really like it simple when I'm doing major paintings. That having been said, it seems unsurpassed for sketching purposes, as well as for a slightly looser, painterly look in your work - if that's what you're after. For me, combining the two is a flawless solution, and I think I'm sticking with that. As for what I use in Painter, it's almost exclusively the artist oils and the palette knives. For texture effects, I use the water colours and the regular oils, and just, er… import and overlay in photoshop. :sheepish:

I guess working in Photoshop since I first started has made me dependant on the program. I just like how it works. I love the easy, simple brush system. There are other things I adore about Painter that Photoshop lacks… now that I've really tried a recent, and non-trial version out I'd hate to lose the program. I'd survive, but I'd hate to do without. I don't think I could continue working without Photoshop, though. That'd be a career-killer for me, ha ha.

Regarding the comics - I've got an idea for another strip, and I meant to do it today. But I've not slept for two days and I'm starting to feel a little cookie, I think it's best to do it later. I won't have much time for sketching and stuff for a while now, working on a project and such. I'll do a few now and then, and I can show a few old, though.

Regarding the Urban Dead Characters - I'm using a kind of stylisation here that I'm not used to… exaggerating certain features for effect - mainly the eyes and mouth - and trying to find a style consistent for all of them. It'll stay with those characters though, I feel. It's fun playing around.

Aaaanyway, golly, I didn't expect a response like this :D I'll try to update again soon (again, thank you SO much). I'll leave you here with two sketches. One old and one new:

Old:

http://www.furiae.com/images/mara.jpg

(A 'mara', a vicious she-creature that crawls unto men's chests at night and rides them until morning. The men wake up exhausted and weak, ha ha. It's a mythological beast, I didn't come up with her.)

http://www.furiae.com/images/snowgirl.jpg

(No idea what this is, or why I painted her, or anything about it. It's a little scribble I did to try to wake my brains, fingers and heart up this morning. It's good to start your day with a sketch. Really gets the creativity going, even if it's something small and weird like this.)

shyamshriram
12-16-2005, 08:05 AM
:love: Thanx for sharing...

Icey
12-16-2005, 08:08 AM
incredible... ! i love them!

Gord-MacDonald
12-16-2005, 08:11 AM
I love the baby sketch

Gord

Enayla
12-16-2005, 09:52 AM
Hehe, thank you guys <3

Speaking of one star ratings (in the general discussions) someone just gave me a one star. It really just makes me smile.

Thought I'd share the super-quick one I did of my zombie Soot, not a serious one, when she died a little while ago:

http://www.furiae.com/images/sootkins.jpg

Mu
12-16-2005, 10:24 AM
Oh, an update! :bounce:

I just love the mara... I think it's called nachtmahr in German (pretty close to the english
nightmare) which is a creature that rests on your chest during nighttime. The description you give and the fact that your character is female make it sound not too nightmarish, however:scream:

Btw, there was an interesting discussion going on in the general discussion about "the weirdest experience" of people and many posters described that feeling at night - a heavy weight on the chest, being paralyzed or even being moved without their contribution a.s.o. They referred to it as sleeping paralysis which seems to be a neural thing. Just in case anyone finds that interesting...the whole thread over there actually is...

K. Scott Gant
12-16-2005, 12:29 PM
Ah! She lives!

Glad to see you back Linda. It's very interesting on how you work between Painter and Photoshop now, thanks for the insight into your techniques.

I love that your sketches are better than my finished stuff btw....makes me strive to be that much better with my own work (when I actually get off my but and do something that is).

Thanks

TheDagger
12-16-2005, 12:55 PM
Great to see your sketches here. I've always been impressed with your use of skin tones and colours in general. I can't even begin to imagine what you can do in ten years if you keep developing your skills like you have done so far.

Oh and do I see Tim Burton influence on those hair curls on Glitz and Soot? (Knowing that you are a big fan of Burton's.) :)

As a side note for those Photoshop users who want to try Painter but feel lost with the program, I recommend downloading Lunatique's brushes. He has those round sharp edged brushes that work more or less like the ones in Photoshop. At least I've found them useful when I want to be in total control of what the brush is doing: http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=297940

Sylanya
12-16-2005, 01:36 PM
Oh....*sigh* The skintones on the 'Mara' painting just blow me away. Even though it's a sketch it looks so realistic. The colors are just right. How do you do it? No matter how hard I try my skin tones always end up looking plastic or clay-like. I always love to look at your paintings, they always make me want to paint.

Oh, and that little baby sketch is absolutely adorable! Such a sweet face.

umbrellasky
12-16-2005, 06:28 PM
Whenever I see your work it makes me go OoooooooOoooo hehe.

Beautiful sketches! The painting under 'mara' is so cute, I love the expression.

I've recently started painting sketches too. I used to be more set on painting the final 'detailed' image rather than taking pride in sketches. It's so much fun and you can jot down character ideas real quick.

I've seen many wonderful results from using painter and I really want to be able to use this program along with photoshop but...I guess I'm a little scared by it hehe. I need to sit down and see what tools work for me. I've just broke up from college today for a two week holiday. I'm going to make it my goal to figure out painter.

Thanks Linda!! More, more!! :D

byvfx
12-17-2005, 01:15 AM
yeah i really love your work! i wish i could paint like you! :) maybe one day.. i just need to paint more damn me to hell!!

nebezial
12-17-2005, 04:14 PM
hahaha well i was astounded when i saw therse sketches..mostly because i just was reading bout that urban dead thingie. to scared to jon cause im a serious case of obsessive compulsive behaviour lol oh and i personaly love ur sense of design but seriously STOP MAKIN ZOMBIES LOOK HOT!!! u might start off a weird and unnatural trend hahahahaand about ur comics...hahaha i driopped on the floor reading that goth garfield:D :thumbsup: and ur rewiew of the corpse bride..really siskel and ebert..xcept..one of those died..hmm..ah well hell like the movie more bein dead i guess

Euphrosyne
12-17-2005, 08:52 PM
Beautiful work as always! So glad you are sharing your sketches. Keep them coming, you inspire so many of us.

jmBoekestein
12-18-2005, 01:17 AM
I caught your mara painting before in the speedpaints thread and I have to admit it caught a breath of fear with me.

The shadow behind her and the tearshod rage were actually really scary. Your Mara seems almost as scary as Mara's daughters in buddhist texts.

ceresz
12-18-2005, 07:28 AM
Fan vad grymt Linda, du äger :D
Jag älskar dem, bra jobbat :thumbsup:

roqsteady
12-18-2005, 09:03 AM
your truly a juggernaut amoung artist... you may as well punch me in the gut and take my breathe cause im always winded lookin at your work lol... i love love love "soot" it like shes porcelain or something

xric7
12-18-2005, 12:20 PM
wow!I do love your stuffs in here.great inspiration.can't keep an eye out of this thread. :thumbsup: :bounce: :arteest:

NOOB!
12-18-2005, 01:33 PM
(A 'mara', a vicious she-creature that crawls unto men's chests at night and rides them until morning. The men wake up exhausted and weak, ha ha. It's a mythological beast, I didn't come up with her.)

i watched a documentary on this character once. (or was that porn)

nice work ,now i'd like to see a linda transforming into her cat. :thumbsup: do it! do it!!

rawgon
12-18-2005, 02:27 PM
Oh this is great! all of your sketches have something so special about... the 2nd hushed zombie its one of the most powerfull images i´ve ever seen! i mean you got me there for a minute or two, that girl should be beautifull before transforming into a zombie, because regardless the violence of the message it contains a deep sense of beauty and desperation, im not sure! hehe:) i don´t know the story, but kind of makes me sad she turned out a zombie... great sketches!:surprised

Enayla
12-18-2005, 03:02 PM
Hahah, sorry if I make the zombies look hot. I just can't help it! ;]

As for the Burton influence - of course. He is one of my main inspirations.

And thank you, everyone. I'll try to keep posting new and old stuff, as often as I can. I've got yet another little update for you, here.

This first one is a little older. I posted it before in another thread, elsewhere (some will recognise it), but I've never posted it out in the 'open'. So, here we go. It's the God of the Sky from my Furiae world. Lai'Enia is a solitary, isolated god, finding the other deities of the pantheon to be quite alien from himself. When he wears his mask, he is in the shape of a great bird, but without it, he seems to be a young man - far less flamboyant than most of his kin.

http://www.furiae.com/images/laienia.jpg

And here's one from the daily sketch forum. I deeply regret not having the time to post there more often than I do :/ It was on the theme of the bride of frankenstein.

http://www.furiae.com/images/ladyfrankenstein.jpg

Lastly, here's a thing I did as a warm-up today as I have a lot of work to do. Always good to get the creative juices flowing by doing something that has no pressure on it.

http://www.furiae.com/images/nolongeralive.jpg

Soo, um, that's it for now.

ericyeo
12-18-2005, 03:55 PM
I hope i can paint like u one day :D ur my idol

navate
12-18-2005, 03:59 PM
The colors in the first one are just beautiful. <3 I have a thing for deep, bright greens in paintings these days, and I love the way the red in the mask brings out the warmth of his skin. The third reminds me of a Renaissance oil painting. Using Painter has really brought on a fantastic style change in your work. I remember when all your paintings were fulls of glitter and your style was so precise a lot of your figures ended up looking a bit stiff... you've totally escaped that now that you're experimenting with a looser style. You've nailed how to suggest an incredible level of detail even in sketches, and everything in the compositions flow beautifully.

Edit: A thought--I just looked through furiae and noticed that you still have some very old paintings in the galleries there. Maybe you should go through and clean out some of the old stuff and showcase newer things. :] Its sad so many of your current paintings never get shown beyond a few friends or a thread like this. I'd say your puppet girl and Lai'Enia are more than worthy for your homepage. :]

hpslashluvr
12-18-2005, 05:00 PM
you know, you're one of the reasons i stay up at night...i tell myself i'm going to bed...and then i see artwork like yours (esp these that you call sketches or warmups *ARGH*) and i get all jealous and worked up and go back to improve my own crappy skills until it's light outside :cry:

something about the fingers holding the mask look a little off (but then again, how could you be wrong >.<)

umbrellasky
12-18-2005, 05:34 PM
Oooooooooooo :D

Lovely hehe

I really like the colours in the first one :)

zng-Y
12-18-2005, 05:56 PM
you know, you're one of the reasons i stay up at night...i tell myself i'm going to bed...and then i see artwork like yours (esp these that you call sketches or warmups *ARGH*) and i get all jealous and worked up and go back to improve my own crappy skills until it's light outside :cry:

i know exactly what you mean :(

Sylanya
12-19-2005, 03:54 AM
Agh! I have a competition today and look what happens. I miss a new update! I absolutely love the warm-up you did, it's so peaceful. I also really like the sun god, he is way neat too. He seems to have a personality exactly like you described, and that is a major achievement for any artist. A lot of people have trouble truly capturing their character, but you did it flawlessly here.

I'm finding your warm-up pictures really neat. I wish I could paint that well, and that fast, haha! Unfortunately, I am both slow and very far from good. But I love looking at your images for imspiration. And I guess I'm starting to ramble, which probably has something to do with me be tired, so I'll stop now and go to bed.

I look forward to the next update!

Ego
12-19-2005, 04:29 AM
*mumbles* Great paintings as usual.
*mutters* You should visit our 15 minute sketchathon one day Linda., It'll be great to see what you can do with those subjects in 15 minute sessions. I WILL BE HONORED! And you will have fun! aaaaah something new to bug you about.

Same invite goes to all you lurkers!
Anyway, subscribing so I can keep an eye on this thread.

Gord-MacDonald
12-19-2005, 04:36 AM
Thought I'd share the super-quick one I did of my zombie Soot, not a serious one, when she died a little while ago:

http://www.furiae.com/images/sootkins.jpg

Beautiful.
The delicacy of Beatrix Potters' work comes to mind, (although Soot would scare the hell out of everyone else in Potters world).

Gord

nebezial
12-19-2005, 09:30 AM
omg...i just remembered to ask u soimethin that has been goin thru my mind on ad off. the name furiae, how did u come up with it..and have u registered it or something..cause if u did..u can sue square enix for ripping it off in their game drakengard lol:thumbsup: :deal: mmm lawsuit

rblitz7
12-20-2005, 12:57 AM
Holy Mother of god!!! Your a genius!!!:eek: How big do you usually make the canvas? Painter or Photoshop? How long does it take you per a piece? How long have you been painting? Do you focus on the color scheme before you make the details? How many different brushes do you use? Do you use the smudge tool?

MichaelZHsee
12-20-2005, 01:09 AM
another sets of amazing stuff linda~the colors and the randomised brushstrokes really caught my attention,it makes me feel like most of ur work were done in a very speedy pace yet the quality of it is as great as a work which can only be done in days or weeks.very enlightening thread linda,i'll be back for more:)

sirap
12-20-2005, 05:14 AM
Good stuff Linda..you know..I know it would help us a lot if we had some videos of you painting, i'd certainly watch it hundreds of times :P

zng-Y
12-20-2005, 09:07 PM
Good stuff Linda..you know..I know it would help us a lot if we had some videos of you painting, i'd certainly watch it hundreds of times :P

soooo true

Kopprsnake
12-21-2005, 09:49 AM
Nicely creepy work, made me jump :blush:

BMunchausen
12-22-2005, 01:45 AM
I find it sort of funny that your idea of less than ideal is still built better than most women are - I mean, your beautiful zombie woman has really average size breasts, not small ones. We just get too used to seeing illustrations where women's breasts are larger than their heads methinks. :p

Her thighs and hips are curvaceous and nice - she's not remotely heavy. Man, our ideals of feminine beauty - are they THAT messed up? I really love your paintings. They're totally gorgeous.

Zephyri
12-22-2005, 03:37 PM
This is a fantastic thread Linda. Most definitely subscribing. It's always wonderful to see the full on finishe paintings you do, but this is like a little peek into your sketch book, which to me is even more exicting.

jmBoekestein
12-27-2005, 11:54 AM
*bump*

I was almost hoping it'd be a frequent update for us :p.

Great stuff these sketches of yours. I hope you'll be getting that book out before long. I've grown rather curious over time. The illustrations so far are really tasteful and beautiful. Always love your work.

You're a great person! DOn't let 'em get to you! :scream:

JMcWilliams
12-27-2005, 03:32 PM
A one star voter eh? hah. :rolleyes:
Just ignore em, they're the small people that we should feel sorry for.

Lovely new stuff!

Zapan
12-27-2005, 04:20 PM
mmh...5* isn't enough...

Hi Linda :wavey: , just droppin' by to tell you That I'm HUGE fan of your work...
Sorry , I don't know anything about painting , but I do know I love your work... I'm afraid to not have smarter thing to say ...:banghead: :)

Suscribing here , to not miss any futur update...:)

deaderthanred
12-27-2005, 04:59 PM
whee your "mara" piece is my new wallpaper (your new "Hajieelkhe" piece has had a place there for a long long time)
just subscribing, almost missed this thread. i always love your works!

Kyena
12-28-2005, 10:54 AM
I always wanted to ask you something Linda:
Do you work mostly with 100% flow and opacity?

Lately, I notice that my colors get too muddy and mix up too much because I sometimes work as low flow as 4%.

Oh and I don't think we should care for stars..as nice as they are I have really grown to hate rating systems..they only spure jealousy in my opinion.

umbrellasky
12-28-2005, 04:40 PM
Hey Linda :D, so how long before we get to see this book of yours?? you mentioned in other threads that some of the paintings we have seen so far will be in your book, such as, a thought made flesh. I was wondering, are there any paintings that your keeping secret until the book is released?
hehe sorry for all the questions, I'm just looking forward to seeing it :D

Kirt
12-28-2005, 09:49 PM
http://www.furiae.com/images/hushedwhee.jpg

Lovely character pieces for your Urban Undead series.
This is now my desktop image on my PSP. I'll be showing this around. :D

ragdoll
12-28-2005, 11:53 PM
you miss, never cease to amaze me... :love:

do you have a personal favorite artist?

perhaps in the renaissance?

like van eyck or one of the ninja turtles? :D

if i were into 2d as much as im into 3d, i would want to be just like you...

skill wise that is... :arteest: :D

-rj

Elaeria
12-29-2005, 12:37 AM
Yes, I have to admit, I'm pretty curious about this book of yours *grin*

So what's the scoop, huh? No pressure or anything, but ya know...
Great job on these works. I know you've posted a lot of them before, but it's nice to see the new ones contrasted with the old ones. Kinda cool to watch your style changing too.

Meredith

Nazirull
12-29-2005, 12:54 AM
Amazed.......:D

One star? :hmm:

beelow
01-05-2006, 04:44 AM
Hahah, sorry if I make the zombies look hot. I just can't help it! ;]

http://www.furiae.com/images/laienia.jpg

OMG, a guy with what appears to be muscles in his chest!:eek: :rolleyes: Sorry Linda, I thought I would pick on ya for a min. Great stuff as usual all of ur sketches very nice indeed, Top notched! Update for the love of christ! and, what this about a book? Hope to see that come out soon I will cop that as well! Hope that will come out soon take care baby girl, one!:thumbsup:

Enayla
01-05-2006, 02:54 PM
Hi guys, girls <3

I'm sorry I don't update more often. I really do have a LOT of work right now and there's not much time to sit around and sketch. I have a feeling I'll update this thread far more frequently when I have more spare time.

Anyway, I'll see if I can answer some questions here. Sorry in case I don't catch all of them. I'm totally knackered and need to go lie down for a bit.

Furiae – is a Latin word, so I don't have copyright for it. I do have my company name trademarked, but in Sweden, I don't think I can harass anyone for having used the Latin word in their game, though :D

I very rarely paint in Photoshop with anything less than 100% opacity. I let my wacom take care of all the opacity differences and use a light hand pressure for softer areas and press harder when it's needed. Pulling the actual opacity of the brush down seems to wash the colours out to me, so I keep from doing that. There are exceptions to every rule, of course, but as a general thing, though...

Another point – I didn't say that the woman in the Puppet image was fat or chubby. I just said she was less than traditionally beautiful, with smaller breasts and wider hips. That doesn't make her figure ugly or fat, just not the exact same as photo models in magazines. As a general rule, the ladies in my paintings have smaller breasts than what most artists seem to prefer, but this girl has slightly smaller, yet. I never claimed she had an ugly figure. Just not typically beautiful.

Like I said here and there, the book is postponed atm, as I'm working on a movie – I'll jump right back on it when this project is done, however. Hopefully, it'll be finished real soon.

And yea, I occasionally paint guys with muscles :D I have a really, really hot one that's going to go into my book. A beautiful, nude male, how about that, huh? And you can really tell he's a guy, too. ( edit: yeah, there are a lot of paintings for the book that you've not seen yet. )

Anyway, in between work, I did a wee painting, trying out some thoughts I had. There's something about the face that I really like, and I think I'll use this face (more detailed, of course) in a later painting. I'm just very pleased with it. No clue of why.

http://www.furiae.com/images/lightskin.jpg

animalunae
01-05-2006, 03:39 PM
I think it's the eyes... mysterious, I like it.

Squibbit
01-05-2006, 03:51 PM
I think it's the eyes... mysterious, I like it.

I think it's the hands

Fantom
01-05-2006, 03:52 PM
It's a really good drawing, but isn't it a bit similar to Nicole Kidman?
http://www.askmen.com/specials/2005_top_99/celebs/68c_nicole_kidman.jpg
http://www.petroteach.com/russia/birthday_girl.jpg

Squibbit
01-05-2006, 04:05 PM
I'm working on a movie

sumthin big?

rblitz7
01-05-2006, 04:06 PM
I was just wondering how talented your family members are?

JMcWilliams
01-05-2006, 04:13 PM
I think it's the hands
I reckon its the curious eyebrow :D

umbrellasky
01-05-2006, 05:33 PM
wow linda lovely sketch. Ooooo a movie! Are you doing concept work for it?

animalunae
01-05-2006, 05:43 PM
sumthin big?

It's a 11 second short about a gigolo named pip.

Squibbit
01-05-2006, 08:07 PM
It's a 11 second short about a gigolo named pip.

her own script ?

Pixelcritter
01-05-2006, 08:44 PM
squib....always such a joker. Linda, whenever I see your stuff I have to reach down and pick my jaw off the floor. amazin stuff. And I'm sure others are just as curious as I am to know more about this 'movie' your working on. Can you shed any light

Icey
01-05-2006, 09:05 PM
hehe - somehow i think your characters are man with very very beautyful wemen heads - and that isn't only because of the lack of breasts, but the big muscles, small pelvises, powerful arms... but then.. they have soft thin bones, wonderful grace... and they show feelings like no liveing person could... :)

after all i love them all :) like the last blue eyed girl

Sylanya
01-06-2006, 12:05 AM
Oh....that is my favorite face of yours so far! :applause: And that's saying a lot because there are some faces that I could stare at all day that you have painted. But I just love the softly mischievious look on his face, along with those stunning blue eyes and that gorgeous mouth, really makes this one special. I totally love it and I think you should use it in a later painting. :D

So you're working on a movie huh? That is really awesome. Is it conceptual design? Because I have been thinking of doing that as a career for a couple of years now, and I totally love conceptual design. I wish I could see some of what your doing. It's probably not allowed though right? :curious:

Ah, well, anyways, awesome painting as usual, I look forward to more sketches. I check this thread every morning to see if it has been updated, hehe. Yeah, I know, I'm terribly sad that way. :blush:

animalunae
01-06-2006, 08:15 AM
her own script ?

Based on the life of a worker ant she saw near the lake at her parent's cabin.

Ego
01-06-2006, 09:47 AM
I don't see the resemblance.
It's a really good drawing, but isn't it a bit similar to Nicole Kidman?
http://www.askmen.com/specials/2005_top_99/celebs/68c_nicole_kidman.jpg
http://www.petroteach.com/russia/birthday_girl.jpg

Squibbit
01-06-2006, 10:07 AM
Based on the life of a worker ant she saw near the lake at her parent's cabin.

I thought ant life was simpler

- - -

I don't see the resemblance.

same woman in both photos , Queenie :p

compared to the painting it's mostly the eyebrows,
a bit of the eyes , a bit of the smile, touch of the hair,
stuff like that :)

Lumie
01-06-2006, 10:24 AM
Wow! Always a pleasure! great work!

Alltid lika kul att se dina bilder!

Martin

animalunae
01-06-2006, 10:56 AM
it's mostly the eyebrows,
a bit of the eyes , a bit of the smile, touch of the hair,

I figured it was the hands really...

Squibbit
01-06-2006, 11:14 AM
I figured it was the hands really...

told u from the start

- - -

sorry for de spam on your thread, lady, got carried away :blush:

deaderthanred
01-06-2006, 02:15 PM
the first thought that came to me when i saw this was "hey, that's a Linda smile!"
i remember there was one photo you posted of yourself in the general forum (member photo thread, i think) and you had a lil fair streak in your short hair and you had almost the same gorgeous expression on your face:love:

http://www.furiae.com/images/lightskin.jpg

can't wait to hear about the movie you're working on (whenever you can publicly talk about it in more detail)

Zog
01-06-2006, 02:27 PM
I frantically rush to check this thread every time it pops up in my subscribed list, hoping for an update. Glitz and the latest sketch are probably my favourites so far but obviously it's hard to decide since everything here is fantastic :applause:

Sylanya
03-18-2006, 01:02 PM
Hey Linda! When are we going to see an update? LOL, just kidding.

Where are ya hun? You haven't answered my emails in two weeks.

Isatche
05-05-2006, 03:39 PM
Linda, those paintings are just GREAT! :bounce:
Congratulations

CyborgJA
05-05-2006, 08:13 PM
Well...what can I tell?

I watch in silence.

sebek27
05-08-2006, 06:16 PM
awesome, wonderful, brilliant ! you are my favorite 2d artist ever... more more more please

eferrier
05-10-2006, 09:50 PM
I just love your style. Your characters really come to life (even if they are dead).

Eddie

enthombed
05-11-2006, 12:50 AM
Godamnit, this rocks a lot... cool style.

Cya

Salubri3i
05-11-2006, 03:29 AM
I didn't know you had these here.

subscribing. :thumbsup:

Sylanya
05-11-2006, 02:47 PM
Hehe, Linda, this thread has popped up again! I think people want to see more sketches. ;)

Shadowbrooke
05-11-2006, 03:41 PM
Hi Linda,

I don't know if you have time to read this reply but here goes...I think you're the best artist ever and I save every sketch and painting you published in a folder on my Mac so that I can study them, look at them and just...admiring :) You're so good and I'm still a beginner trying to take an anatomy class! Feeling down many times 'cause it seems greatness like yours is so far away...

But I love your work and you will always be an inspiration for me. Hope to see more great sketches!

Enayla
05-11-2006, 04:02 PM
Sorry guys for vanishing off the face of the earth for so long. I've been working ( hard! ) on a movie ( the Golden Compass! ) and I've only just finished off the work. I'm pretty knackered and my shoulders hurt so it might be a while before I paint again. Or, actually, not – but it might be a while before I have the time to paint something 'fun' again.

Meanwhile, since there are people here who might not follow my blog or my portfolio, I'll post some sketches here for you.

Another Urban Dead character (not really just a sketch, but...). This one is actually a very, very bad apple. She kills people regardless of whether she's in zombie or human form. She kills people with very bad names. You've got a number in your name? Dead. Is your name really leet? Dead. Her name is Yesterday.
http://www.furiae.com/images/yesterdays.jpg

Just a concept sketch that I ended up not digging so much, but I like the story behind it – check my portfolio blog for the full gist of it.
http://www.furiae.com/images/kirkii.jpg

And last, but not least, another thingie which isn't a sketch but a mask – I make masks when I'm not up to painting for one reason or the other.
http://www.furiae.com/images/greenmask.jpg

http://www.furiae.com/images/greenmask2.jpg

http://www.furiae.com/images/greenmask3.jpg

Also: thank you SO much everyone for your kind comments and for visiting my thread. I wish I could be around more often but as work keeps swallowing up more and more of my time, I end up spending what I have left to spare with my friends and my family instead, the computer just doesn't seem so appealing when you've worked in front of it for fourteen hours already. Big hugs and kisses!

rapheal9
05-11-2006, 04:30 PM
hi, i've been following your work for a long time on this site and i must say its simply amazing
me and my friends really like your work a lot and i m personally a huge fan
i don have proper words to describe your art but it really is inspirational

thanx and regds
rahul

enthombed
05-11-2006, 05:02 PM
cool mask... eheheh lol

bleumoon
05-11-2006, 05:59 PM
Thanks for the updates Linda, and by posting it here gives me the chance to comment on your work!

Simply amazing! I'm really drawn to your Urban Undead, especially her zombie form. It's so intense, and I can't escape that huge eye staring back at me . . . it's very unsettling (in a good way).

I have no more words left for your mask, it's incredible. The attention to detail, the colors, and the quality is exquisite. It looks like something out of a broadway musical.

Bravo! :scream:

Elaeria
05-12-2006, 02:15 AM
Hi Linda,

So happy to see your recent work! I hope all is well despite the chaotic busy-ness! :D
I am very curious about the mask you've posted here. I wanted to know more about how you do the detail on the beak/nose of the mask. Is that paint, webbing, beading? I would love to know how you create such a delicate and intricate design.

Also, LOVE the photo of you in the mask! Very artistic. Did you take the photo yourself, or did someone take the picture for you?

Congrats on it all, and remember to take time to breathe! Hee hee!

All the best,
Meredith

Darklord101
05-12-2006, 02:40 AM
Such masterful, flawless hands.. I am truely captivated, either it be a finished piece woven stroke by stroke or a mask to hide the true bearer and add a mystery to the wearer, all tell tales, I may understand some and I may understand none but its there. I am in awe, for when I saw,I felt my jaw draw.
Without flaw do continue to draw, so I may sit without a fit, longing to see who I wish to be.
-†wow im rater poetic today do excuse.. to much reading.. I shall just go sit in my little corner now..:P on another less poetic note. Love the cyan colours, one of my most favorable colours.

oogieboogietoogie
05-12-2006, 11:38 AM
I really like your work! ^__^

I didn't know they would turn the golden compass into a movie!?

JMcWilliams
05-12-2006, 12:28 PM
Inspiring work as always, and congrats on the poster book too.

TheFirstAngel
05-13-2006, 12:40 AM
Hi Linda. Just wanted to subscribe. Love your works, always did and its so great to see such a bunch of pieces of you in this tread... hehe, back from the dead after 1 month so took me a sec to find this. keep it coming, looking forward to your updates :)

cg-alx
05-13-2006, 10:43 AM
yet another "wow i love your work!" but really i just can't think of anything to say but wow!.

-thanks for bringing my desktop to life with your images of death!-

Spex84
05-13-2006, 05:15 PM

*respect*

The depth, fluidity, and delightful transparency of your work leaves me (almost) speechless.
Thanks for the inspiration. People like you keep people like me frustrated enough to keep trying :D

fallofmart
05-13-2006, 10:40 PM
I was slightly worried before about how the golden compass (if you're reffering to the HDM movie) was going to look.

But with you onboard I'm sure it'll turn out awesome. This thread is pretty awe inspiring from the view of a beginner.

All the best.

paperclip
05-14-2006, 01:18 AM
http://www.furiae.com/images/greenmask3.jpg

Hey, cool mask! Is it with that clay-like papier mache?

squidinc
05-14-2006, 12:40 PM
fantastic work, interesting mask design too :)

luciferous
05-15-2006, 01:18 AM
Sometimes i look at your work and cry... other like tonight.... I feel my creative juives flowing back into me... so thankyou... but next time you make me cry i will do something rash.... like eat chocolate... alot of chocoalte... so much so that i wil explode and itwill be your beautiful talents fault...

... tee hee...

-Shane

OZOZOZ
05-30-2006, 03:36 PM
you have a wonderful style of painting! and good sence of form and color!:bounce:

HerrKatt
05-31-2006, 10:11 AM
Astonishing paintings as always Linda! :)

Enayla
06-08-2006, 11:45 PM
Hi again, folks :} And thank you for all your kind comments... really warms my wee heart.

I realise I just keep dropping in here and dumping a few things before taking off again, but life's pretty hectic and I've not had much online time lately. I did finish a sketch earlier, though, of yet another Urban Dead character. I've not done her zombie form yet but I plan to (I think she'll have even wilder hair and glossy eyes, and perhaps her lips torn off to show her teeth... when they're this pretty, they're even more fun to make ugly :D )

Her name is Champagne. This is her description,

http://www.furiae.com/images/champagne.jpg

I imagine her being a former Hollywood starlet, not too clever, dressed in a short, ruined skirt and blood-splattered high heels. She was married rich, spoiled rotten and extremely popular before the catastrophe hit... now she's lost and increasingly agitated and desperate, constantly hoping she's really just being Punk'd and that the people with cameras will reveal themselves any moment.

Regarding the mask (or masks)... I make the patterns on noses, faces and brows with a combination of jewellery, threads of different colours, little fake gems I buy all over the place and tiny chains that I cut apart from necklaces or belts or earrings. They're wild mixes of all kinds of different things, but I can't always take credit for the patterning... might be something I did with threads, wire or chains, or it might be – as is the case with the green masks' nose – something as silly as a golden wrapping from a pen I bought when I was in my early teens and now, many years later, picked apart very carefully, bent to fit the nose, and glued more gems to. The masks take a long while to make, especially if you count the time I spend running around trying to assemble pieces to use.

More masks, you might've seen them in the blog:

http://www.furiae.com/images/goldenmask.jpg

http://www.furiae.com/images/blackmask.jpg

Anyway, I'm sneezing my head off and I really shouldn't be out of bed. Hugs to everyone!

Lute
06-08-2006, 11:52 PM
Hi again, folks :} And thank you for all your kind comments... really warms my wee heart.

I realise I just keep dropping in here and dumping a few things before taking off again, but life's pretty hectic and I've not had much online time lately. I did finish a sketch earlier, though, of yet another Urban Dead character. I've not done her zombie form yet but I plan to (I think she'll have even wilder hair and glossy eyes, and perhaps her lips torn off to show her teeth... when they're this pretty, they're even more fun to make ugly :D )

Her name is Champagne. This is her description,

http://www.furiae.com/images/champagne.jpg

I imagine her being a former Hollywood starlet, not too clever, dressed in a short, ruined skirt and blood-splattered high heels. She was married rich, spoiled rotten and extremely popular before the catastrophe hit... now she's lost and increasingly agitated and desperate, constantly hoping she's really just being Punk'd and that the people with cameras will reveal themselves any moment.

Regarding the mask (or masks)... I make the patterns on noses, faces and brows with a combination of jewellery, threads of different colours, little fake gems I buy all over the place and tiny chains that I cut apart from necklaces or belts or earrings. They're wild mixes of all kinds of different things, but I can't always take credit for the patterning... might be something I did with threads, wire or chains, or it might be – as is the case with the green masks' nose – something as silly as a golden wrapping from a pen I bought when I was in my early teens and now, many years later, picked apart very carefully, bent to fit the nose, and glued more gems to. The masks take a long while to make, especially if you count the time I spend running around trying to assemble pieces to use.

More masks, you might've seen them in the blog:

http://www.furiae.com/images/goldenmask.jpg

http://www.furiae.com/images/blackmask.jpg

Anyway, I'm sneezing my head off and I really shouldn't be out of bed. Hugs to everyone!

First off, your paintings are very beautiful. And that Champagne girl reminds me of an ad for steve madden shoes. Are you selling any of those masks.. because they're s, are so beautiful. are they made with real feathers. and what inspired to create those masks.

enthombed
06-09-2006, 12:51 AM
great job, really great.. the mask is awesome, you did this???

Cheers

Icaro

Sylanya
06-09-2006, 01:07 AM
Wow, Linda, I love those masks, they are so beautiful. Makes me want to make masks, hehe. They're so gorgeous. Maybe when I finish all my schoolwork I'll try to make one, eh? Definitely won't be as good as your's but it'd be fun!

Love that sketch too, she has such a beautfiul face. I love how you are developing your Urban Dead characters. I don't play that game anymore haha, I kinda got to busy for it. I still like my two characters River and Cherrilee. I would love to see what you could do with them, but you don't have the time, and probably don't want to! LOL.

Great new stuff Linda, I hope to see more soon.

OneDown
06-09-2006, 08:25 AM
helvete...talang!

Squibbit
06-09-2006, 09:44 AM
amazing work with the masks, as usual

dat Champagne person was rather sad tho,well, those
flashlight eyes were a bit interesting, but, uhh.. zzz...

Nickillus
06-09-2006, 10:50 AM
Wonderfully rich and evocative. More great rendering of flesh tones with all their nuances and reflected light scources. Highly inidividual also, which isn't that easy these days.

Just superb.

Nick

animalunae
06-09-2006, 01:45 PM
Her name is Champagne. This is her description...

Lin, I love that style! Keep killing zombies or people with stupid names (Thank you for that btw ^^), so you will invent plenty more characters to draw! *yeeey*

How silly that these quick character sketches (Champagne, Glitz) are in my all time favourite Enaylas next to the, no doubt, very time-consuming pieces like Gone, Hajieelkhe *runs off to check out spelling...yippie ^^*, ungentle, gentle, etc... It's kind of a shame for the time spend more right :P Just kidding ofcourse!

My girlfriend ;) said something Japanese about it, I'd have to look it up but I think she likes it a lot too. ^^ I'll change my desktop at work to Champagne now!

Bottoms up! :curious: ... :D

eilidh
06-09-2006, 05:18 PM
Seeing your works is always a treat, Linda.

These masks of yours are very interesting. They look extremely well made. I remember seeing several masks in Venice (the sort of standard Venice souvenir), which were supposed to be, well, professional work, yet yours look in fact better. Don't know -- I might be biased, of course. :p To me they have this dark, fairytale-ish flare that your paintings have: very "Linda", all in all. (The photos you take of them are spectacular, too, which obviously helps)

Hope you can keep us posted more often! :)

Vrav
06-14-2006, 10:26 PM
Indeed, a treat. It is my opinion that you will never cease to amaze us.

Djampa
06-24-2006, 02:10 PM
Hi Linda,

Good to find you here.
I´ve been crazy yet with my short, 9th month now in production... *lol*
Getting bald here. *lol*
You know what? I miss talking and posting to you ;)

Good to see your sketches here, that mara is particularly nice, maras have many form you know? If you go into buddhist maras and some other ´people´ you will find awesome inspiration to work, I can´t imagine what you could do after hearing of some ´dakinis´ stories.

You was working on Golden Compass...? oh my... Can´t wait to see your artwork for it.
You keep always inspiring ya know? :)
Not only by your artwork, but also by the transparent, humble and so kind person you are and how you talk to everyone around here, thanks for that !

Best wishes, keep up with a warm heart, cya,

hkbasravi
06-26-2006, 05:03 AM
You're such a monstrosity its amazing...You are a stupendous monstrosity...a great stupendous monstrosity....

ok, will you marry me now?

Enayla
07-25-2006, 11:42 PM
Sorry for not updating in a while, my darlings... been on vacation, been busy with work and all that... still on vacation but I spent some time painting, and I thought I'd post the result here as well as in my portfolio.

I'll give you some more on the backstory though..

When I first saw Corpse Bride at its Swedish premier, I suppose I'd already decided that it would be good before I'd seen it – but I've done this with other movies and was at times terribly, terribly disappointed (Alexander, anyone?)... so, suffice to say: I was a bit scared.

I really, really, really love Nightmare Before Christmas.

So, giddy with joy and fear and excitement, I watched Corpse Bride – with my expectations about as high as they can get. And I know some people were disappointed. I know some people have gone on and on and on about how Nightmare is better. I know.

I don't agree. I think that Corpse Bride is every bit as good, but it's different.

So there. I don't want to have to defend my opinion. I didn't think I'd like the movie as much but I did. It's one of the most beautiful movies I've ever seen and it is wonderfully, awesomely inspiring.

Anyway, I've seen it again maybe fifteen times by now and I still stand by my statement. I love it. Saw it again this weekend and decided that enough is enough, I'd best draw some little gift for the people that worked on it – each and every one of them deserves a big smack on the lips from whoever is their dream girl or dream boy, but since I can't rightly give them that, I made a little picture instead. Highly inspired by the movie, but I think, still in my style.

Her name is Nicoletta, pictured here with her friend Amadeus.

http://www.furiae.com/images/nicoletta.jpg

And a close-up...

http://www.furiae.com/images/nicoletta-close.jpg

Anyway... big hugs to all of you. Sorry I'm not around so much these days... I hope I'll have more 'real' spare time soon...

eishiya
07-26-2006, 12:04 AM
Ah, beautiful as always. I love the coloring on her libs, particularly the legs. Her face is so adorable, with those freckles and the wittle teeth.

Corpse Bride was a great movie indeed, worth watching twenty times at least :D

Oh yes, if I mak ask... how long did this take you? Lots of detail, but you seem to work so quickly.

Also, I personally think that it might have looked a little better if the forearms were shorter. Not short enough to be proportional, but a liiitle shorter.

Feyd-Rautha
07-26-2006, 12:21 AM
Wow! That's awesome! Course all your stuff is awesome. I really like the style of this though. Especially her creepy fingers.

ajay1589
07-26-2006, 12:29 AM
The Golden Compass is SUCH a good book. I hope the movie is just as entertaining. What was your role in helping the movie? Can you talk at all about it?(probably not) This is the only thread ive subscribed to :)

Gord-MacDonald
07-26-2006, 01:16 AM
delicious images - (like really good chocolate!)

Gord

lulaassassina
07-26-2006, 03:13 AM
Lovely as it could be, Linda. Instead of an "congratulations", you deserve a "thak you".Thank you! :D

luv.

nobodee
07-26-2006, 05:03 AM
Okay, now, that's just very Tim Burton and I'm loving it :D Corpse Bride and Beetlejuice untied, anyone? My favourite part are her shoes, I think. They're very lovely and I wouldn't mind having a pair like that (her size would fit me without problem :P). The butterfly is a very neat addition to the image.

Corpse Bride is indeed a beautiful movie, I have seen it so many times! Well, less than fifteen... (Fourteen is less than fifteen, right?) Once again, amazing job :)

scarletknight
07-26-2006, 08:00 AM
Hey Linda,
Your work is irresistible, a quietly disturbing nature to it that draws me in...
Very cool indeed.
S.

paperclip
07-26-2006, 08:39 AM
Hahahahahaa...oh man, that's so cute. I love the rubber duckie!

I love your lighter hearted pieces- this and the one of you and azrael in the forest. It's nice to know that you have a sunny side to you as well. :D

Just wondering, when will we be able to see your stuff from the movie, I mean as in promos and that sort of thing.
Glad to have you back....hope you had fun at the cabin. Isn't summer lovely?

Elsie
07-26-2006, 09:36 AM
Ahaha Linda, that is so awesome :D. I love how her pose resembles the shape of Hildegarde the maid - I take it that was intentional and not just me making random connections? The colours are my favourite thing though...that firey orange and baby blue - awesome.

By the way, have you seen the art and making of Corpse Bride book? I got it when I was in Stockholm and it's very cute ^^.

:edit: Oh and those feet are adoreable!

animalunae
07-26-2006, 10:38 AM
...And I know some people were disappointed. I know some people have gone on and on and on about how Nightmare is better. I know.

I don't agree. I think that Corpse Bride is every bit as good, but it's different.

Oh good, my girlfriend liked Coprse Bride way better, in fact she didnt like the Nightmare, because of the number of songs in it ^^ made it too much like a musical she says, but she does like Corpse Bride though. Ach well, understandable, I just love to sing along with the Nightmare though *blush*. Catch me sitting alone watching the Nightmare at 4 o clock in the morning singing Jack's Lament with all the gestures and you'll definitely call me nuts ^^ Damn I love that movie. Anyway, apart from my girlfriend I've had plenty of people, guys from work and students complaining about Corpse Bride and trying to convince me that the Nightmare is better, but in my opinion, there's nothing to compare, because they're two different Burton movies, with both their distinct tastes and feeling and there's no way I'm going to prefer one over the other, in all honesty I try to see them an equal amount of times :P When someone tries to outsmart me reguarding Tim Burton and wants to point out what makes the Nightmare (or CB for that matter) a better movie, I just tell them I like them both and "De gustibus et coloribus non disputandum". Or; "if you can sing me the entire Nightmare soundtrack, you'll probably convince me :P"

Good idea btw, let's put up some Jack!

Oh and the sketch; dark, wonderfully entertaining and marvelously well done as always! I love it! ^^ The ducky, Amadeus is cute!

Kisses!

Wim

warpy
07-26-2006, 11:05 AM
hey linda,

nice to see you posting again, those tiny shoes are ultra cuddly and bizarre at the same time.
makes me laugh :P

Warpy.

Eligh
07-26-2006, 12:11 PM
absolutly amazing work linda, so great stuff you´ve brushed, i´m really impressed of the outcoming style and expression of your pictures! I love this great stuff and your website, too. :) Your amazing works gave me so often nice inspiration and helped me a lot to learn more about detailbrushing and lightning study, too. I only can say: THX!

also thx a lot for your painting tutorials linda, they helped me a lot and gave me some basic knowledge how to handle with different brushes and the settings, its priceless!

greetings

eligh

Enayla
07-26-2006, 04:53 PM
Thank you, darlings!!

:beams and dances: I wasn't entirely sure how the piece would be received… I know people generally like my realistic stuff better… but I love painting like this, it's more along the lines of the self-portraits I used to make in the daily sketch forums, when we had avatar battles. I guess enjoy different variations of my style, ranging from the really simple comics I used to make (haven't had time as of late) to the fleshed-out paintings I usually display in my gallery (if you've seen my self portrait in my portfolio, you'll see three of the 'styles' on display... on the book, the doll in 'my' lap and the way I've painted 'me')... and if I pick what's most 'fun' to paint, it'll be stuff like this. I just never seem to have time for whimsical stuff these days.

And yes, her pose does resemble Hildegarde the maid – was at the time a subconscious influence but I can totally see it :chuckle: You know how these things go, if you paint directly after having watched a movie, you'll be heavily influenced. Which was the intention with this picture.

As for comparing Corpse Bride with Nightmare: I completely agree, Wim. I see no purpose for it. If I see two movies that I love, I really feel no need to try to dissect them and pick out which one is the better of the two. I just love them. I love some movies like a puppy loves its master, unconditionally and wide-eyed with joy.

Regarding Golden Compass: This is really the first big project like this I've worked on, so I don't rightly know what will happen and when/if any of my stuff will be shown. I know I'm not to talk about the details of it, but I don't know exactly what that entails, so I opt not to talk about what I did at all, in fear of messing up or giving something away.

I will say, though, that they've changed directors since I first started on the project, and I'm not sure if all of my concept work will be in it anymore. I hope so, they like me enough that I was pulled in to do a re-design of one thing, so I'm crossing my fingers that my stuff won't be excluded entirely. Different strokes for different blokes, though... what Tucker liked, Weitz might hate, so all my hard work might be scrapped.

I think you can be eager for the movie, though, from what I've seen, the people working on it are lovely folks and I think this is going to work out for the best.

eishiya
07-26-2006, 05:18 PM
If anything gets scrapped, I think the rights will belong to you (since it's no longer something for the production), so you should be able to show us. But let us hope that no such thing will happen and that the only reason you'll have to show us your work for the Golden Comprass is because the Man lets you xP

I have not read the book, but I look forward to this movie, since the plot seems very interesting, and I'd really like to see how your ideas will be transferred to film. Hopefully they'll release some of the concept work like they did for Pirates of the Caribbean and the Matrix.

I really hope you have more time for paintings like this, since this is what you enjoy. You shouldn't worry about which genre people like best and just draw whatever you feel like drawing. You'll end up pleasing both sides anyway.

animalunae
07-26-2006, 05:20 PM
I really love those cartoons of yours, too bad you didnt have time for new ones since Corpse Bride, seems an age ago by now... I remember putting random cartoons of yours on my desktop to cheer me up when I'm demotivated or lazy or just plain sad ^^ This does not bode well for my karma is my all time favourite, though "Mixed Breed" definitely comes close, especially the smile on Az's face ^^ And then I adore your cartoony sketches, like Champagne and Glitz and Nicoletta, keep those coming, great stuff! Ofcourse your full fletched works are amazing, but like we just agreed, I love both styles, "unconditionally and wide-eyed with joy"! I think I said something like that as a comment on champagne.

Tonight the premier of Pirates 2 is playing, guess where I'll be tonight *grin*. I do hope your work on the compass will pull through, it'll no doubt put something amazing on the screen, no matter who's lead actress in it :twisted:

I better get back to work now, later!

nobodee
07-26-2006, 05:25 PM
I admit I love this... whatever it is style of yours. It's fun, it's loose, it's... I don't know, sometimes I feel it's even better than your realistic stuff (hey, I like imperfection and weird anatomy) ((this does not mean I don't like your realistic paintings :P))

As for the Northern Lights (Booo Golden Compas! I prefer my Northern Lights!), I'm really excited about the movie :D The trilogy is amazing and I can't wait to see the ending of the first book ^_^ (I take it they're going to make all three? It makes sense to -me-)
Oh, heck, I think it's time for re-reading the trilogy.

I hope you'll be allowed to talk about your part in the movie... one day :)

Enayla
07-26-2006, 05:47 PM
Aw, you guys are so sweet.

I'll share with you a little preview of the tutorial I'm working on. This time, not just for people who can afford a magazine (see latest issue of Imagine FX :D I'm very pleased with the result) or a book, but in response to the wonderful folks that give me such steady and constant support throughout my efforts (and in particular, the literal hundreds of people that have surged up to try to help me to get hold of my TNBC bag (see details on my webpage) – I have some leads and it might actually be mine once again!)

It's done, but I've not had the time to finish up the details. But I'll show the initial sketch and the final result here, though making the final fairly small in comparison to what I'll show in the finished tutorial. This is a sneak preview. It might be a many weeks before I have time to sit down and write the whole thing. Just something to look forward to, huh?

It's going to be extensive and probably come in many different parts, one for the face, one for the colours, etc, and some talk about how to use references in a good way

http://www.furiae.com/images/phoenixtut.jpg

http://www.furiae.com/images/phoenixtut2.jpg

nobodee
07-26-2006, 06:08 PM
Where's that :jawdrop: smiley when you need it?
It's looking way too fabulous, Linda! The colours are oh-my-god (the reflection of the flames, the reflection of the flames!) and the dress patterns! Tell me there will be a section about patterns, pleeaseee. They are probably my favourite part of all your paintings :D Speaking of which, the latest ones really remind me of old masters works.

Now, let's see if I know anyone who can sew... :P

SulaMoon
07-26-2006, 06:16 PM
wow... o.o simply, wow.
I cant wait to see the whole thing!

BTW =p
Is there a way to get that magazine from Brazil?

Feyd-Rautha
07-26-2006, 07:54 PM
Wow! :eek: I hope the tutorial you're doing covers how you painted the dress. I've been really curious how you create such realistic looking cloth and patterns.

And I agree with D-NA, your latest works do remind me a little of one of the old masters. Bouguereau (http://www.artrenewal.org/asp/database/art.asp?aid=7) to be specific. Your style is pretty different but there is something about the way that you paint skin and cloth that reminds me of his work.

Dianae
07-26-2006, 08:21 PM
Oh wow! I'm in awe each time I take a look at your work! Can't wait to see the tutorial, you're just great!
I'm in love with this painting :)

eruan
07-26-2006, 09:20 PM
For lack of a better expression: wow!!! Really. That phoenix painting is superb and deserves all the praise it can get. I just love your work.

:applause: x a lot.

slickgreekgeo
07-26-2006, 09:37 PM
Linda, you should get arrested for having that much talent. I kid I kid!

Looking forward to the tutorial, as they never fail to impress.

eishiya
07-26-2006, 09:38 PM
Ah, the image looks wonderful, and if you cover everything... I'll be amazed. It is particularly the way you draw fabric folds and dress patterns that I'm interested in (most other things seem fairly straightforward), but I'd love to see how draw these sorts of things. Your tutorials in d'Artiste were great (and very helpful, so many, many thanks to you!), but this seems to cover a lot more unconventional stuff. You really inspire me, and apparently so many others. Ah, I should really stop replying so much, but I just can't help it, your art is just inspirational, and even your text-only posts are interesting. You could probably write a textbook on watching paint dry and it'll be fun to read.

animalunae
07-26-2006, 11:53 PM
Oh wawie! Pretty as hell! With every single of your finished works, I feel mine creeping further away from me.
That face is adorable, the skin is marvelous, the lighting, bam, and that cloth, oh deary, so what's next? Pushing the boundaries of reality then? I'd love to cut out praising your work and point out something very smart, but hell, I'd pull a rabbit out of my ear before that's ever gonna happen...
This is just not original any more ^^ I'll just sacrifice a bull, or no... a person in your honor, every time you finish something utterly gorgeous like this. It's a powerful gesture and a simple solution to over-populating.

Just what I needed after a quite disappointing Pirates 2, I can see why Johnny didn't want to do the sequel... It has some good bits and Davy Jones is unbelievable, I recognised the actor who played him out of a cg double covered in tentacles... Unbelievable... Let's end this post with these words. Linda, glad to see you this active around here...

Enayla
07-27-2006, 12:19 AM
Well, if you guys are aching for a part on clothes and patterns, I'll do it. I'll have to add some sketchy material to show some points on how to do wrinkles and folds, though, but I suppose that can be done ;)

Right now, I'm mostly worried about how to do the tutorial. I don't mean the actual material (which I have already, screencaps aplenty) but the set-up. I'm considering doing it as an html page, with a shorter walkthrough of the steps I took to paint, and when I reach a specific 'part' that's more difficult (like the outfit, for instance) there'll be a clickable link and you can go into a more detailed section on the painting... like a "do you want to know more?" thing... because cutting it up into different articles altogether might be difficult. I work in a certain flow, one bit after the other, and I think I have to base it all around a walkthrough. I don't have time to write it up just yet, so I'm just fishing around – what do you guys think about that? I might have to ask someone to set it up for me though. I can only do the most basic of programming, like adding a link that looks like crap.

As for the painting itself: I'm thrilled you like it. I've only really shown it to, what, a few friends that came by while I was working on it, before I showed it here... and they were a bit, well, "cute, nice new take... c'mon, let's go do something fun", hehe, I guess they're just used to me bouncing about some new thing I've come up with :sheepish: What I'm trying to say is, I didn't know if it was anything special when compared to my regular work, or something fresh and pretty with something new to add.

Speaking of Bouguereau: people keep mentioning him... and yes, he is one of my greatest inspirations and a favourite artist of mine, on top of that. I have artists that I just absolutely adore and who inspire me to paint, and then I have those, like Bouguereau, who inspire me on how to paint. I find that he had the best sense for skin tones that I've ever seen and I can stare at the colours alone for hours upon end. There's just a certain 'feel' for how the light affects it. I try not to imitate but to learn, but you know, it's hard when he did it so flawlessly.

Getting hold of Imagine FX, regardless of where you live, shouldn't be too hard...I think you might be able to order issues online, check on their site:
http://marketing.futurenet.com/imaginefx/

Anyway: Thank you SO much. You've all inspired me to continue working on the tutorial and just do something about it (I've grown lazy, as of late... preferring a day of lazying about in the woods, Azzy bouncing at my side, over sitting around typing and painting), I'll see if I can get around to it this weekend (hopefully after seeing Superman). It's difficult when I don't know how to arrange it though. If I make it too big, I'll never be able to finish it so I have to restrain myself somewhat.

If there's going to be any sacrifices... please make it chocolate.

Mm.

Chocolate.

animalunae
07-27-2006, 12:42 AM
I think it might be best to build up the tutorial into the main bits, and indeed with specific steps if you want them, after having tought badly for a few years I realised people need a goal and a road towards it, if it gets complicated, the road becomes blurry and we'll have forgotten where we were, where we came from and where the hell we were going. Once the road is clear, you can discuss tiles and rock and curves and the way we should be walking... ^^ fun!

Oh and cloth; I'm begging you my dear! I'll soon be painting some textures containing black lace for a certain lovely chinese woman and I'd love to hear your methods. Also, I've been modeling an astronaut for the past month and having done like hundreds of folds, I've been studying their shape and purpose a lot, I'd also love to hear how you approach them, perhaps that will shed some more light on the subject.

erilaz
07-27-2006, 12:50 AM
To be perfectly honest Linda, if you wrote a whole book on digital painting, people would buy it by the truckload. If you think it worth your time, I'd like you to seriously consider that as a project. Your cloth techniques are beautiful and interesting, like all your work, so yes, a workup on cloth would be greatly appreciated.

And if you need some programming done, I'll gladly do it for you.

jmBoekestein
07-27-2006, 12:58 AM
Hey Linda! Nice to see more activity from you again.

Much obliged for making it freely available. I hope/stand to learn a lot. It's sometimes hard to find focused material or mreo elaborate material on the web. It either takes a lot of searching or the right channels, both can be tough.

Hope to see more works soon, I said it before but women and clothrendering, awesome.

I really respect how far you've come in searching for more to get from your work. It's a more than decent kick in the ass for me personally. :thumbsup:

Big cheers!

slickgreekgeo
07-27-2006, 05:17 AM
Linda, your idea for the tutorial sounds great, and I'd be more than happy to set it up for you (it's the least I can do... I learned a whole bunch of new techniques from you, and I wouldn't be where I'm at now if it wasn't for those tutorials). In return however, should you accept, I do demand a toothpick in return.

The painting is very nicely done, it's something fresh from you. Most artists tend to shy away from doing something drastically different, but that's not the case for you, so props. Take your time with the tutorial, no rush. Have fun watching Superman as well (I wasn't really interested in watching it, but when I finally did, it blew me away).

Take good care.

frostblade
07-27-2006, 05:40 AM
Lovely new work again :)

I hope to see the tutorial, it's better to include more information :)

I also hope you can find that boblbee scarabee bag with the nightmare before christmas print on it. I don't know if you read my PM but if you just buy the plain black one you can take it to the printers and print anything you want on it.

thistly
07-27-2006, 10:10 AM
tutorial = :bounce:
oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy

Kyena
07-27-2006, 10:31 AM
Ahh, I've just tuned in fast from the computer on my vacation here in Norway.
Super, super sweet color work there Linda.

And it's very nice to see early steps too. :)

Hope everyone has time for some vacation - speaking of: didn't you mention you need some time off of painting L? ;)

Forgot to mention - I loved the pictures in ImagineFX with Az and you at the comp :)
I wonder if you had the same photographer flying over then the one who visited Henning. He was a really nice person to have around :)

SulaMoon
07-27-2006, 12:01 PM
wooo nice!
Tks! =D I will order the magazine as soon as possible!

Sylanya
07-27-2006, 04:09 PM
Wow, Linda.

You know, when I first saw Nicoletta, I was unsure of what to think. But as I kept looking at it, that uncertainty faded away and I really like it now. I think the only thing that bothers me is that the far forearm is way to long. I mean, even if you aren't going for proportional, I think the forearm should at least be the same length as the other one.

As for the tutorial, you have me trembling in my boots, I'm so excited for it. I really can't wait for it too come. No rush though. By the way, the image for the tut is gorgeous. I love the lighting and the bird. Very beautiful. Any chance of seeing it without the writing on top? :-)

By the way, I gave in and bought that issue of ImagineFX. I can't afford a complete subscription, but that one issue is managable. I can't wait to get it!

Anyways, keep up the great work, Linda. I look forward to more updates (as always).

Take care!

neacser
07-28-2006, 05:02 AM
Linda, after finding this thread, finishing reading all the posts and amazed by all the amazing art work that you posted here... i only got one word to say to you... wow~

FIG-Studios
07-28-2006, 08:37 AM
So scary and awesome.

mikkamakka
07-28-2006, 08:42 AM
absolutely amazing works!!!:applause::applause::applause:

bao
07-28-2006, 09:15 PM
just WOW!

and i can't wait! you've been such a big inspiration to us all.

umbrellasky
07-29-2006, 10:25 AM
Ohh Linda that painting looks absolutely gorgeous! and another tutorial!! wow I can't wait! :bounce:

your corpse bride inspired painting is so lovely, the colours and pose are great! :)

I just bought ImagineFX today. The August issue is absolutely wonderful! Linda, your painting used for the cover and the painting used in the tutorial are both breathtaking. I just adore coming across paintings of yours that I haven't seen before!

The photo of you and azzy is so cute, he's so big I just want to cuddle him. I can't wait for your furiae book to come out I get so 'giddy' as you would say, at the mention of it!

mv
07-29-2006, 11:32 AM
I think this last painting (the tutorial one), is one of my favourites of yours! the colours are great, the rendering is exquisite and that face is lovely (kinda reminds me of Adriana Lima?) great work ...

rawgon
07-29-2006, 04:36 PM
Oh! amazing painting for your tutorial! no doubt one of your best... that little girl vampire its cute too. can`t wait to see more!!!

xiannc
07-30-2006, 05:04 AM
Linda!! I can't wait till your tutorial comes out. The phoenix peice is my absolute favorite of all your work. I was about to ask how you use references as I am putting my first peice together right now and rereading all your and Natascha and Hennings tutorials while I am starting. But, I just saw that you will include how you use references in your tutorial. I'm subscribed. I'm a fan. I doubt you will be posting more often, because you are so great, more work will just keep coming your way. But I will pour over anything you manage to put up. Thank you!!

velvetta
07-31-2006, 09:18 PM
Your paintings are always breathtaking and the phoenix piece is absolutely extraordinary:applause:.. i'm looking forward to seing the way you painted it. You're really kind to share with us your skills:bowdown:. I love also your images on the issue 7 of Image FX, the details of 'my lady' are stunning (that fan....:eek:), I think this is one of my favourite piece of yours!

Smik
07-31-2006, 09:27 PM
:scream: Brrrr... I love Hushed!

johnny79
07-31-2006, 09:31 PM
I was about to ask how you use references as I am putting my first peice together right now and rereading all your and Natascha and Hennings tutorials while I am starting.

Xiannc, I'm new to CGtalk, where canfind these other tutorials you mention? (by Natascha and Hennings) Could you post a link? I've been a tutorial-crazed lunatic ever since I laid eyes on linda's incredible work.

Speaking of which, sorry if this was a little off-topic, linda...your latest painting is eyeball-melting as always! My local bookstores are still displaying issue 6 of ImagineFX, but as soon as 7 hits the shelves, I'm on it. Please tell me your work will be on the featured poster?...I may have to buy two issues in that case...

slickgreekgeo
08-01-2006, 12:48 AM
Here are Henning's tutorials: http://www.henningludvigsen.com/wordpress/?page_id=22

Natasha's: http://www.tascha.ch/?page_id=21

These are great btw, I learned a crazy amount of techniques from them, so have a read y don't ya!

kenwtoney
08-01-2006, 01:36 AM
The zombie girl with the green background is really nice. My personal favorite. Can't wait to see your tutorials.

sebek27
08-01-2006, 06:37 PM
I was wondering.. what dimensions do you use for your paintings in photoshop ? 72/300dpi and size of the canvas etc. also, which tablet do you use ? thanks !

Reverence
08-06-2006, 12:01 AM
Guys, just wanted to ask, Who did the cover for the latest issue ( http://marketing.futurenet.com/imaginefx/ ) of Imagine FX?? did Ms. Linda did that one too??
sigh... i want a copy of it seems the copy is not sold in our country... Such Great artists...:thumbsup:

Nehym
08-06-2006, 01:58 AM
I believe it was done by Enayla. =^.^= And you can order this issue online too if it is not sold in your country, that is what i did. I'm also seriously considering a subscription too... But the price is a little high for those out of europe. :( But the temptation is really strong...

Reverence
08-06-2006, 02:18 AM
I believe it was done by Enayla. =^.^= And you can order this issue online too if it is not sold in your country, that is what i did. I'm also seriously considering a subscription too... But the price is a little high for those out of europe. :( But the temptation is really strong...
Ohh yeah the cover is so superbly done, thx for the info Lilie...yeah i have to agree on that.. hehe it is really tempting, buying for the subscription, the cover itself seems to attract to much attention to it erhh i have to have one.., maybe i have to start saving money for that issue.. wehh shipping ish expensive..
:bounce:

webbrage
08-06-2006, 02:36 AM
Guys, just wanted to ask, Who did the cover for the latest issue ( http://marketing.futurenet.com/imaginefx/ ) of Imagine FX?? did Ms. Linda did that one too??
sigh... i want a copy of it seems the copy is not sold in our country... Such Great artists...:thumbsup: You can buy imaginefx on Amazon..

thistly
08-06-2006, 08:58 AM
Are you guy's sure issue 7's cover is by Linda? It didn't strike me as looking very Enayla-ey :p
ImagineFX comes really late to stores here, at least by a couple of months, and I'm really busting to get my hands on a copy of this issue (sometime in... october? Darn!)

Ego
08-06-2006, 09:56 AM
Speaking of Bouguereau: people keep mentioning him... and yes, he is one of my greatest inspirations and a favourite artist of mine, on top of that. I have artists that I just absolutely adore and who inspire me to paint, and then I have those, like Bouguereau, who inspire me on how to paint. I find that he had the best sense for skin tones that I've ever seen and I can stare at the colours alone for hours upon end. There's just a certain 'feel' for how the light affects it. I try not to imitate but to learn, but you know, it's hard when he did it so flawlessly.

Linda+Bouggie: =My favorite artists. I was telling someone last month that I think you and Mr Bouguereau must be related . Beautiful paintings above honey, as usual ;) Did you ever make it to Florence? I finished my course in Florence last weekend and am back home now.
I'll go purchase that imaginefx just to read your workshop there. And the tutorial you are doing here, looks absolutely awesome. Am looking forward to it.
*hugs*

Nehym
08-06-2006, 07:06 PM
Are you guy's sure issue 7's cover is by Linda? It didn't strike me as looking very Enayla-ey :p
ImagineFX comes really late to stores here, at least by a couple of months, and I'm really busting to get my hands on a copy of this issue (sometime in... october? Darn!)

I'm pretty sure it is. Though for me, it does have a ''Linda-feel'' to it. :) Reminds me of her paintings with some renaissance hints in them.

velvetta
12-19-2006, 02:04 PM
linda, WHERE ARE YOU? please come back!:sad:
I miss your artworks!

cg-alx
01-08-2007, 06:25 AM
it's been a while since we've heard from you, and we miss you, it doesn't matter whatever it is you are doing thats keeping you from updating your site or this post, know you're in our heart. i hope everything is ok.

SulaMoon
01-08-2007, 10:24 AM
Hey Linda! Come back already ^^ we miss you!

OKMER
01-08-2007, 01:01 PM
Hi Linda!I've been watching your work now for a while and even if it doesn't sounds so original "You are so inspiring for all, the work, the "how to work",etc,etc.Just beautiful!
then I fall on this thread and...wowww!
Just love how you bring your work to life!I subscribe for sure!
Hope you can send some updates soon!
May ze forzzz be wizz you!!!:arteest:

ablorat
01-08-2007, 06:47 PM
Yes, your work is great, i love your technique, love the complexity of detials, use of colors and sometimes i like the stories in the pics. Yeah, you're a pro from wich each and every one of us can learn and get better. But there is something i hate about it too. I hate your copiers and their works! There are hundreds if not thousands people who draw stuff like you do, and of corse it isn't of the same quality. Ang God, every where you go you see same images portraing cute half naked girls with not much going on except another butterfly or a bird or some other cute little animal sitting on their shoulder, finger or some other part of their costumed bodies.
Come on people! Use some part of your brains, imagine stuff, use the same technique but try to do something different, original and unique! Thinking may give birth to wonderful fruits, like headache... i mean pictures with some stories in them.
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh................................
P.S. If any one will get insulted by my messege... well, good! :)

slickgreekgeo
01-18-2007, 05:59 PM
I've been a fan for quite a while, but you not admitting using photoparts bothers me greatly:

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e368/slickgreekgeo/busted.jpg

tristan-bethe
01-18-2007, 06:08 PM
slickgreekgeo,

She never denied using photographs as reference at all. Moreover i remeber she told us in more than one interview that she was not sure if she ever could work without references.

If needed, I'll call a friend up for quick reference photos, and/or snap some pictures of myself. I might set fabrics up on chairs or place a big mirror next to the computer.

and thats just the first question answered in the meet the artist thread:

http://features.cgsociety.org/cgtalk/meettheartists/linda_bergkvist/

SulaMoon
01-18-2007, 06:11 PM
well, Ill let Linda speak for herself...

But to me it looks like photo-ref yes, but not photo-part like you say. But thats just me~

slickgreekgeo
01-18-2007, 06:12 PM
I'm glad to hear that, now I can breathe a sigh of relief; I assumed she claimed she didn't use ref's, so my apologizies about that. There's no shame in using refs, especially if you're going for a realistic style; You need some sort of ref, whether it be from life or photographic.

Thanks for the link, reading it now.

EDIT: Don't want anyone to think I'm a hater or anything, but I just wanted to bring it up for discussion. I'm not sure if this is a photopart or just a ref, but it looks strikingly similar. I'll wait for Linda's response.

Runecaster
01-18-2007, 06:34 PM
Slick, she says she uses refs but paints everything by hand, but when you equalize the images, you can clearly see the actual photo parts. She's a clever photo manipulator, but it's pretty sad she doesn't just fess up to it.

And she isn't the only one. Not by a LONG shot.

thistly
01-18-2007, 06:52 PM
"If needed, I'll call a friend up for quick reference photos, and/or snap some pictures of myself. I might set fabrics up on chairs or place a big mirror next to the computer."

Umm yah, this is rather different to copying a photo she didn't create, and didn't have rights to, aint it?
'Quick reference' implies something rather different to copying as closely as she has in this case. Look at the exact shape of the main highlight on the armour.
If reference is being copied this closely, I find it rather insulting if the artist doesn't say so.

Setting up and shooting one's own reference has an air of artistic integrity and professionalism about it. Copying some photo off the web very closely as in this case seems like a cheap and dirty shortcut.

The rider's posture is way off. That horse must be a cardboard cutout for him to be sitting like that. This among other things tells me she didn't really have a decent understanding of the objects she was painting, and was somewhat fudging it. Seeing the reference makes me wonder where everything else may have originated from.
This, plus all the equalize-filtered stuff that's been popping up, means I'm no longer a fan, and certainly no longer enchanted by her works, they're kinda ruined for me.

For all the folks ready to jump gallantly to CGsociety's Patron Saint's defence, remember that you don't actually know what the truth is here, only Linda does.
And if this stuff is true and not some huge great coincidence, then you'd be defending the person who's lied to you. Haha!
And to those who are surely gonna say that stupid thing about "artists throughout history have used references or copied other artists' work, big deal!" nobody's denying this, and that's not important here, the issue is the possibility Linda's been lying to all her dedicated wee fans.

tristan-bethe
01-18-2007, 06:53 PM
Runecaster,

I see what you mean. things match up pretty close, except for the colour. However this seems like some of her old work? Perhaps it was a shortcut at the moment to save some time. However i do not think this disproves her ability to paint at all. I do not doubt that nowadays she can paint that piece better than the real thing.

Still slickgreekgeo cool you where able to spot the photo and remember the work, this means you are truly a fan :)

and like SulaMoon correctly states little use speculating on something we cannot possibly know :)

tristan-bethe
01-18-2007, 06:55 PM
thistly: you are absolutely right...

slickgreekgeo
01-18-2007, 07:09 PM
"Still slickgreekgeo cool you where able to spot the photo and remember the work, this means you are truly a fan"

Definitely; The funny part is how I stumbled upon this. I'm starting on a 'horse' image, so I saved her painting as inspiration. After that, I looked up some references; When I opened them up in PS, I saw something familiar with the photo to her painting. To say I was disappointed would be an understatement.

Linda's a great artist, but I've come to terms that she does indeed use photoparts in her paintings. This still doesn't bother me; What bothers me is the fact that she lies about it; I think that's very disrespectful to her fans, myself included.

cypherx
01-18-2007, 08:32 PM
I'm shocked! How can this be?! Who is the imposter going by "Thistly"?

ha... I'm bad... sorry. I seriously had to read your response 3 times, Thistly to make sure I was reading it right, and you were the same Thistly. I was. You are. Well "same" being subjective, eh? everyone can continue on about their business!

Runecaster
01-18-2007, 11:37 PM
Well honestly that sounds like there is a mouthful there cypherx, you will have to fill me in.

About the photomanips, well, to be perfectly honest, she's a damn GOOD photomanipulator. I really don't have issue with that, like many others don't. It's the whole 'I painted this from scratch' shenanigans.

Honestly, maybe she considers it painted from scratch in her heart of hearts if she paints over/color balances/traces what-have-you from a photo or poser model. If she believes this, then she isn't lying -- so there is no way to tell.

I'd just like to point out again that Linda is FAR from the only one who does this ;) It's more places than you'd think... and yeah - it's people saying they painted incredibly 3-dimensional stuff all from scratch.

On Steven Stahlberg's last image, the one he won an cgtalk award for (the girl getting abducted?) he said as much himself, when he said he used refs and a 3d model and people gave him crap for it -- he said that so many pros use poser or 3d or photo refs and say that they don't but he isn't like that, he tells the refs he uses.... so it isn't just us amateurs who see it, recognize it for what it is, and don't like it.

ManlyCrab
01-19-2007, 01:44 AM
"What bothers me is the fact that she lies about it; I think that's very disrespectful to her fans, myself included.

Slick, you should seriously start to think before you post, you make her out to have done something extremely horrible. It's merely something about saving time. Many many many many digital artists, if they can, use photos in their paintings if possible.

And why bother looking at the reference photo while painting if you just could copy paste it? What's so less honest about that? I would assume THATS what she means when she says she uses reference.

In my eyes this is ridiculous, how she creates her wonderful paintings is her buisness alone. People are treating it like shes stealing other peoples work, why the big fuzz?

P.s. Who is the horse image copyrighted to and what are the laws on the type of thing she did? Oh, and thirstly your not a fan anymore? Wow, thats a pretty extreme reaction, you aint judging her fairly at all. That quote you took of her is fairly recent, while the horse image is OLD. Artists evolve.

LoTekK
01-19-2007, 02:16 AM
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i196/LoTekK/horse-armor.gif

OMG slickgreeko, you've got an amazing eye there. Spot on, jolly good, tally ho, and all that crap. Obviously a cut and paste job. :rolleyes:

(Just making a point here)

Seriously. People need to get off their high horses. This is like a ****ing witch hunt. There are some seriously choice quotes in the last 2 pages of this thread. It'd be comedic if it weren't so sad.

Seriously, a lot of the time I see artists who want desperately to be Linda go after her the hardest.
QFA

Rebeccak
01-19-2007, 02:19 AM
This squawking over an artist's practices in her own thread is pretty irritating. Why don't you all get over your jealousy and go back to practicing your own painting?

Seriously, a lot of the time I see artists who want desperately to be Linda go after her the hardest.

slickgreekgeo, please stop going after other artists in an attempt to justify your own paintovers / avenge their being detected. It's irritating and I've asked you to stop when you have pm'd me in the past about this issue.

slickgreekgeo
01-19-2007, 02:29 AM
Teck: Actually you're right, what was I thinking that she copied it; It's just an amazing coincidence.
It doesn't match up because they're both different sizes. Genius. Try expanding it to meet the exact proportions (I'm sure most already did this). Everything's the same, lightning, textures, the exact design, everything. But if you're OK with someone stealing (yes, because that's what is is) from photos that she doesn't own the copyright to, then that's your decision. More power to you.

It's quite funny how some are defending her, despite the fact that the way she works are staring at you in front of your faces. Accept it and move on; She's a great artist, but she uses photos in her works. I respect her, but I don't like the fact that she lies. If you're fine with someone lying to you about their working methods and profiting from them, then by all means, continue to do so. Others know better.

This is the last you're hearing from me on this matter, I leave you to make your own conclusions.

LoTekK
01-19-2007, 02:37 AM
[insult removed]. I putzed with transforming it every which way but susan. My point was that you're making a witch hunt out of her using reference for a portion of armor. I mean, jesus, if I had to mention every single photograph that I used as reference when submitting an image, my session would probably time out before I even got around to uploading. Be realistic, ffs. You're making an ass of yourself (same goes for the rest of the pitchfork-bearers).

ManlyCrab
01-19-2007, 02:49 AM
Slick, you make it out as she is using photos constantly, while there is only 'proof' that she has used it once in a horse image serveral years ago, this makes your judgement incredibly strange. You make it out to be something extreme... While.. its not.. Fueled by jealousy first struck my mind.... but i dont know.

And I find it almost insane that you seem to justify it calmly while not had enaylas input yet...

slickgreekgeo
01-19-2007, 02:53 AM
I'm not gonna continue further with this discussion until Linda decides to reply. My anger is fuled by disappointment; Again, I'm not 100% sure about her working methods, but I do question them after discovering that reference. Again, I'm a big fan, I'm simply questioning her working methods. I'm not degrading her work, I'm not out to do harm to her. Some of you make me seem that i'm out to get her, when I'm not. I simply stumbled upon a reference that I found all too similar to one of her works (And yes, obviously I'm a huge fan as I noticed that). So why do some think I'm maligning her?

It's just something that I feel needs discussing; Unfortunatly, it seems that this can't be done in a civil manner based upon some of the responses, so again, I'll just wait for Linda's response and leave it at that.

Now that I stated I won't reply, you can now call me [inser insult here], or whatever your clever mind desires, as that seems the civil thing to do when someone question's an artists methods.

ManlyCrab
01-19-2007, 02:59 AM
Cause in all the posts you seem very happy to degrade her in a form of polite manner. Maybe you dont notice it yourself..

slickgreekgeo
01-19-2007, 03:01 AM
Cause in all the posts you seem very happy to degrade her in a form of polite manner. Maybe you dont notice it yourself..

Taking another look at my posts, I do agree on that. I guess I'm a bit angry that I came off that way, so I do apologize for that, as well as any inconvience my post may have caused, and again, I await a reply from Linda on this matter.

LoTekK
01-19-2007, 03:02 AM
You must be extremely gullible if you think she painted that from scratch. Actually no, y ou're just plain stupid or ****in retarted. I'm guessing a little of both.
Well, nobody ever accused me of being a genius. :) Then again,

I'm not sure if this is a photopart or just a ref, but it looks strikingly similar. I'll wait for Linda's response.

why do some think I'm maligning her?
she lies about it; I think that's very disrespectful to her fans, myself included.
stealing (yes, because that's what is is) from photos that she doesn't own the copyright to
the fact that she lies
lying to you about their working methods and profiting from them
:thumbsup:

thistly
01-19-2007, 03:16 AM
RebeccaK, not long ago I was a rabid defender of Linda, (she'd been one of my fav artist technique-wise for over 5 years), throwing around "yall are pathetic and jealous" and trying to insult the so-called 'attackers'.
But seriously.
Did it occur to you that they've got Linda's fans in mind here? People truly believe, through rational study and consideration of evidence, that something isn't quite right with Linda's claims. Truly, there's nothing nasty or vicious there. Just a 'hrmmm' feeling :)

I always thought Linda was the most lovely, perfectly curteous artist and could certainly do no wrong. Every new post was a OOOHH! moment.
Of course evidence is subjective and nothing's has been or probably will be proven either way, but all the stuff that's come up lately has made me change my mind.
I still think she's a lovely, curteous lady and a very skilled artist (funnily enough it's her least realistic stuff and sketches I always like/d best) but her art isn't the breathtaking thing it once was to me - and what she may want it to appear to viewers, so skilled and unbelievably realistic that it's breathtaking - hence the alleged little white, err, grayish lies.

Slickgreekgeo has publically admitted that he once did paintovers but has moved onwards and upwards, I highly doubt he has anything to hide here.

Lowtekk, if the numerousreference images you use are in fact being painted over (down to the very smudges and imperfections), then yeah, you really should be crediting every last one of them.

Someone pointed out to me in a PM a lil while ago, "reference [which is what Linda has said is the extent of her use of external images] means to "refer" or "consult"; not to, copy, mimic or paint-over", as has seemingly certainly been done in this image. And if it has only been done in one image, one time, that's still one lie, and kinda unnacceptable.

ManlyCrab
01-19-2007, 03:26 AM
thirstle thirstle thirstle... unacceptable? one lie? Where is the lie?

Thirstle stop making this out to be such a huge thing, you are obviously not putting this into perspective well enough, you sound genuinely angry, like she has stabbed you in the back or something...

And slick is just as insane on this topic.

slickgreekgeo
01-19-2007, 03:31 AM
Well, nobody ever accused me of being a genius.

There, now we found something we both can agree on :)

Rebeccak
01-19-2007, 03:33 AM
Yep. That's enough bickering. If Linda wishes to have this thread reopened, then she's welcome to have that done.