PDA

View Full Version : how to create this effect?

verti
11-24-2002, 08:13 AM
i would like a layer to i.e. deform with some of the audio frequencies... how to create such an effect?

example.

one of my layer is tif. i place it in my composition. add audio track. now i want this tiff to bulge (with different bulge height) when some of the frequencies are played within audio track.

sorry for my english... hope you understand me...

verti.

Ian Jones
11-24-2002, 09:06 AM
Search this forum. I seem to remember a similar question a little while ago.

skidd
11-24-2002, 01:21 PM
hey dude, if you find the answser, post here :beer:

plug3
11-25-2002, 02:30 AM
Menu:
animation>keyframe assistant>motion math

You can then set the audio levels of your audio layer to drive any paramater (bulge, scale, opacity, etc...) of your graphic layer

verti
11-25-2002, 07:45 AM
all:
thanks for your replies

d1:

yeah i tried using motion math before... but what ive noted so far it requeries some kind of math mind. and im no programmer ;(

at least i did not make it to work properly ;(

thank you anyway... ill have a war with motion math. if i get something to work ill let you all know about it.

verti.

pixelpimp
11-26-2002, 07:28 AM
I think www.trapcode.com has a few cool plug-in. One in which deals with sound driven effects.

froggyplat
11-26-2002, 04:52 PM
well, the trapcode "soundkeys" plugin might make the job easier. last time i looked, the demo allowed you to do up to 300 keyframes per session so that might be the way to go.

if you want to try motion math here's a way to do it.

add your .tif and audio to the timeline. now add a null layer. the null will act like a controller which will drive the tif layer. now add the "bugle" effect to the tif layer.

next, go to the motion math interface under animation>keyframe assistant>motion math. load the layeraud.mm file from the mmscripts folder in the AE directory. what you are going to do is bake the audio levels from the sound file to the opacity channel of the null.

in layer one of the MM screen select your tif layer. select opacity as the property. select all for channel.
in layer two select the audio layer. select audio level as the property. select all as the channel.

in the script window above change the maximum value to 4 and he minimum value to 0 (this is the upper half of the numeric range for the bulge effect).

press apply and wait for AE to generate the keframes. when it's done you'll see the keyframes vary over time.

on your tif layer press "e" to roll out the bulge effect. select "bulge height" and press "shift + alt + =" to add and expression to this property. now grab the pickwhip and drag it to the opacity layer of the null object. your bulge height property value will be the same as the opacity value for the null.

here's the downside: it won't be a terribly smooth effect, and it will key off all frequencies rather than ones you define (that's what the trapcode plugin allows you to do), if your generating the music yourself, you could separate out the bass drum or whatever as a separate track and use that as your sound source instead.

one benefit to using the null as the controller is now you can go into the expression in the bulge height property and tweak it out a bit if you want. maximizing the bluge radius will definitely help sell the effect if all else fails.

hope this helps.

verti
11-27-2002, 08:11 AM
you guys simply rock!!! i ob to you masters! thanks a lot for your help.

verti.
:beer:

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 10:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.