PDA

View Full Version : Windmill valley, first concept landscape

GoAaaa
12-11-2005, 07:50 PM
I had a great time doing this piece... but I'm setting it aside for a little while, so I'd love to hear any c&c.
My biggest issue is with the mountains. I should probably modify the near mountains to fit in more naturally with the distant, snow-covered ones. Let me know what you think.
The city to the left is far from completed.

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c400/GoAaaa/windmill2.jpg

Squibbit
12-12-2005, 08:15 PM
maybe just finish the city first, the mountains look pretty cool as is..

the bridge could have some more of the tones from the rocks to the right maybe?

or the yellow orange light, i dunno

heh

AliceMarie
12-13-2005, 09:43 AM
Nice job with the atmospheric perspective, and I like a lot of the design elements present.
Right now my eye is primarily drawn to the structure on top of the first spike/rock/thing, and I follow that to the Horizon.

I wish the image was bigger, I want to take a look at that structure. Your image is looking a bit disconnected, as the bridge which I'm assuming goes to the city it completely blocked by the first rock. thing. So I'm not entirely sure visually where it's leading since there's no 'connection'. A really minor thing though. So far to me, it's not the near mountains that don't fit; it's the city that doesn't fit, as it looks almost entirely grayscale as everything else is toned. I think the progression from cool in back mountains to the warm mountains in the foreground is awesome - it really gives a sense of distance.

Out of curiousity, do you block everything out in grayscale, and then color it?

Apologize if I don't make sense, I've tried, but it's been a long sleep deprived night. ;)

Matellis
12-13-2005, 10:01 AM
Yeah I agree with squibit. The rocks look great but the bridge should have some more bounce light from rocks aswell as the sky . Even more so that your bridge has the absence of color its self. Its looking great! cant wait for the next update :)

GoAaaa
12-13-2005, 03:53 PM
Thanks for the comments, I really appreciate it.

It was my intention to flood the city with orange tones coming from the horizon, but I had'nt put much thought into mixing in light from the rocks.
The spike structures are supposed to be abandoned windmills built on stone. I'll try to clarify that a bit.

AliceMarie, nah I don't tend to go through grayscale first before colouring.

I'll try to work on it sometime soon... Thanks again for the input.

CGTalk Moderation
12-13-2005, 03:53 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.