PDA

View Full Version : Your inspiration and reference...

ChimpanG
12-11-2005, 05:10 PM
I got thinking about what people here use as an inspiration and reference (not including each other :)) for their CG.
So just to see how we all think, and maybe find some obscure games that could inspire us further, I decided to make this post.

Post the same way I do please, to keep it neat.

Mine are all fairly average titles but meh.

Maybe we'll see how these titles show through in people's work.

Games that inspired me to do CG
(chronological)
Red titles are important ones to me.

[pre-starting CG]
Sonic the Hedgehog (MegaDrive) - Sonic was what got me drawing when I was very young.
Super Mario Bros - Kept my interest.
Super Mario 64 (N64) - The whole 3D world concept amazed me.
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (N64) - This is where I began to wonder about how it all worked.
Jet-Set Radio (DC) - Innovative title, nothing like this around at the time.
Shenmue (DC) - Realism sparked me to learn.

[Once I began CG]
Halo (XB) - This was the first engine I learnt inside out (well before they made an editor)
Unreal Tournament 2004 (PC) - First engine i tried a Editor for, fantastic 1st Party maps inspired me.
Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas (PC) - The huge game-world inspired me further.
Halo 2 (XB) - Aside from being a fan, I loved the style of it's visuals and I knew how they worked so it boosted me.
Half-Life 2 (PC) - Realistic, used as a reference.

[Current titles I use as a refrence]
Need for Speed: Most Wanted (PC) - The absolutely huge game-world and realistic-yet-unreal visuals are an inspiration and reference for me.

CGmonkey
12-11-2005, 05:34 PM
Hehe Sonic got me to draw as a child too ;)

I took a bit different road though, my first inspiration was C64 and the entire game library. Later it was wolfenstein3d, doom, doom2, quake, quake 2 etc.

Nowdays, it is mostly Metal Gear Solid-series, ICO and Castlevania that really gets my juice flowing.

I started making games for the ASCII based click and play "Megazeux" and "Zzt" by Tim Sweeney and Gregory Johnsson (the same Tim as in Epic Megagames). Woa good times back in the middle of 90's.

CyborgChicken
12-11-2005, 07:19 PM
I've been doing CG sense I was like 10-11, I’m 22 now, but the biggest inspiration to me game creation wise has to be the original Quake 1, the mod-friendly game system really opened a new world of possibilities to me. Learning how all the .pak files work, skinning meshes, re-animating messes, and eventually making a mesh completely from scratch. Quake 2 kind of continued in that tradition. I hated Quake 3 for working with as an engine. I’m really torn on the HL2 and Doom 3 engine, I haven’t’ done any game mods in a long time but those two new engines have me seriously considering a project.

My general “art” inspirations were Thunder Cats, He-Man and eventually Teen Age Mutant Ninja Turtles. I was also big on comic books durring the mid-teen years, x-men, spider man, and later on Spawn and GEN 13.

I also loved the TMNT Arcade Game which I currently have hooked into a Neo Candy 29” cab down stairs; I loved that game before I even had a NES so it was great. The NES version of the TMNT arcade game is “ok” but I prefer the real thing, I also have the 4 player X-MEN JAMMA board I swap in every now and then..

What pushed me from just doing FPS add-ons / levels / ect.. and to real “CG” would have to be Final Fantasy 7, when I saw how incredible the CG scenes were and how much it brought the story to life I was hooked on making CG movies. Terminator 2 also was a big push in the direction of CG work, when that came out back in the 90’s it was absolutely mind blowing.

The first entire “game” I made was a RPG for the TI-83 calculators, was similar to the first Zelda game, sense then I’ve been mostly trying to refine my art techniques and story telling abilitys.

ChimpanG
12-11-2005, 07:45 PM
ooh, movies. i didnt think of that since gameart was on my mind.

RO
12-11-2005, 09:31 PM
What really got me into gaming design was DOOM2 since DOOM did not come out in stores... I started making levels with a program called Waded. I made lots of single player levels and had tons of fun making them. I never released them on the net because I was not really into the whole net thing back in those days. I got so addicted at making level designs that I went from the next great fps games... like so...

Duke Nukem 3D, JediKnight, Quake, Quake2, Halflife, Unreal, Unreal Tournament, UT2K3, and UT2K4.

But I had always loved playing games. I remember when I first played Supermario I thought I was controlling a cartoon! My brother and I would model the characters from the Mario world in clay. We had all of them including the enemies.

Movies that inspire me are Scifi and fantasy. Both are awesome. Movies like the "Alien" series and "The Never Ending Story" are movies that I love. "Terminator" was awesome… Mostly the first one… Scary as hell seeing that machine thing walking all choppy and… it was scary! Of course now I know it was just a limitation in those times when making those sort of animations… But when I first saw it…. I was like get the **** away from it now!

As for art forms I adore, Victorian art, Art Nouveau, and Art Deco (I love them all equally). I tend to mix a lot of them in my works.

I am great fan of simplicity and basic shapes but still have a decorative touch to them.

ArchangelTalon
12-11-2005, 11:59 PM
Played games all my life, and always liked making pretend designs as a kid, so it seemed kinda natural to me to move on to 3d stuff. Started out on high-poly though, then found low poly waaaay more fun.

The biggest inspirations are the dudes on here. If I'm feeling a little low in the motivation or creativity side of things, I just jump on here and look around at the WIPs and think "Alrighty. With practice, I'm gonna be that good one day. Back to work, you lazy bastard, you..."
The games that inspire me are...
> Deus Ex - Reminds me how great games are.
> System Shock 2 - Ditto.
> Half-Life 2 - Ditto with stunning characters and textures.

For reference, I think Half-Life 2 - and some of it's better mods - is my main quality comparison at the moment. I'm doing a lot of work on the Source engine for Hull-Breach, so it's a logical place to start.

ChimpanG
12-12-2005, 12:37 AM
hehe yeah the people on here are a fantastic inspiration.
that said, Desp#2/Rog i look up to your level work, amazing man.
I'll post the movies that had inspiring cg tomorrow, but if we start posting movies we may aswell move this to general disc.

RO
12-12-2005, 01:48 AM
Thanks GLandolina :)

I also go here for inspiration. I have to check out cgtalk every single day. I find some crazy and awesome stuff here.

CGTalk Moderation
12-12-2005, 01:48 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.