PDA

View Full Version : Great stereogram software!

Dagibit
12-11-2005, 04:10 AM
I have no Idea how long it's been around, but I'm glad to know that now I too can make those cool random dot and textured stereograms (and make a few more extra bucks) with Stereogram Explorer.

The software is very easy to get started usng. All you need is a simple model and the ability to export to 3DS format (I don't know if or how it's possible for Maya users)

The software here made by aOlej (http://aolej.com/) has an unlimited use 30 day trial period. Afterwards you can download the full version for $20, or order a CD for $35. I know I'm getting it!:)

Stereogram Explorer (http://aolej.com/stereo/)

Exporting to 3ds format for Max users:
Importing 3DS Files

File menu > Import > Select File To Import dialog > Files Of Type > 3D Studio (*.3DS)

3DS is the 3D StudioŽ (DOS) mesh-file format. You can import 3DS files into 3ds max.

When you import a 3DS file, you can merge the imported objects with the current scene or replace the current scene completely. If you choose to merge the objects with the current scene, you are asked whether you want to reset the length of the animation in the scene to the length of the imported file (if the imported file contains animation).

When you import a 3DS file, the following information is imported:

Backgrounds (solid, gradient, and bitmap).

Fog, Layered Fog, and Distance Cue.

Ambient light level.

Subtractive transparency is converted to 3ds max "Filter" transparency and the filter color is set equal to the diffuse color.

Transparency falloff settings.

All map channels that are enabled. Map channels that are turned off in the 3DS file do not import into 3ds max.

All map parameters, including UV transforms, Negative, Mirror, and Rotation. Some Map parameters such as Blur, Luma, RGB, and Alpha work much differently in 3ds max. These values are converted to new values that produce a similar affect.

Mask bitmaps are imported as 3ds max mask textures.

When materials with both Texture 1 and Texture 2 are imported, a composite texture is created and added to the Standard material's Diffuse channel.

Reflection maps, auto-cubics, and mirrors.

Automatic reflection map Nth frame and Map Size settings.

SXP translation for Marble and Noise materials.

3DS/DOS R4 IK joint parameters.

3D Surfer patch data.

When you import a PRJ file, all of the above items are imported, plus shapes.

When you import a 3DS file, the following information is not imported:

Morph keys.

Keyframer instances.

Map channels that are turned off.

Custom .cub-format cubic maps.

Decal transparency using the RGB color of the upper-left pixel of the map.

(Taken from 3ds5 user reference)

Bleen
12-11-2005, 04:52 AM
Cool, but I could never see stereograms :sad:

tevih
12-11-2005, 05:42 AM
Cool, but I could never see stereograms :sad:

I'm still convinced it's the modern day's "emporer's new clothes." They aint nothin but funny squiggles an dots.

[edit] OH MY FREAKING LORD!!! :eek: THIS WAS THE FIRST TIME IN MY LIFE I CAN SEE ONE! I TAKE BACK MY PREVIOUS STATEMENT!!! EEK!

rocarpen
12-11-2005, 06:37 AM
I'm still convinced it's the modern day's "emporer's new clothes." They aint nothin but funny squiggles an dots.

[edit] OH MY FREAKING LORD!!! :eek: THIS WAS THE FIRST TIME IN MY LIFE I CAN SEE ONE! I TAKE BACK MY PREVIOUS STATEMENT!!! EEK!

Too funny. I'm exactly the same: never been able to get them to 'work' for me. Reading your comment encouraged me to check out the link. Glad that I did! I finally got it! So cool. You relax your eyes until something appears, and then it's like you can lock on to the image and look at it like anything else, examining details, little areas, etc. Very trippy.

Jozvex
12-11-2005, 07:05 AM
I've had a poster sized, framed stereogram image of dinosaurs on my bedroom wall for like 10+ years and I see it every morning when I get up. I practically can't 'not see' it! I've seen it so many thousands of times that I find it hard to see it as just a flat pattern, it's weird!

EDIT: Woah! They have a car animation stereogram! I've never seen an animation before, it's pretty cool that it's as easy to see but the animation is a bit pointless hehe.

Self-Designer
12-11-2005, 08:20 AM
I've seen an animation a decay ago (a rotating ring i think) - lol, it's like those old tea-pot 3d pictures :p

Guray
12-11-2005, 08:57 AM
I tried it for 15 minutes and still couldn't see anything..Although after several minutes looking at the image it seem to start twirling but nothing happened after all..I guess I can't focuss..

Self-Designer
12-11-2005, 09:17 AM
The idea is to look farther then your problem :p try to look at your reflection, pay attention that one part of the pattern get on the other like, if i'll number the raws it looks like 123456789 so when you look farther, 1 gets on 2, 2 on 3 etc. etc. (It's like seeing 2 fingers when looking at the wall, putting 1 finger infront of your face). After a while, u'll get a full control of how much to look farther or nearer (in eye's limits of course :p)

Jozvex
12-11-2005, 12:45 PM
Yes that's exactly what it's like.

I pick two pattern columns (next to each other, it's harder if they're far apart) and then somehow using eye muscles, make the columns merge together. I definitely couldn't do it on demand though for quite a while. You just have to sort of do it by accident the first few times. Try not to blink (though once you get the hang of it blinking's not a problem) and don't tilt your head sideways because the pattern doesn't even line up then. Also, if you have the benefit of seeing the normal '3D' images as well, choose to learn on a plainly obvious object. Even once you can do them easily, some of the objects (or even text!) are so abstract or just badly made that you can see the right result but you have no clue what the heck it is! So you doubt yourself.

Hehe, I'm talking about this as if it matters, but it is pretty satisfying when you get it the first few times. Some of my family members took years before they could 'see' my poster. It's cool because it's not just one object, it's 4 or 5 different dinosaurs with a landscape and caves etc.

Did I mention it's good for your eyes and helps reduce strain? Ok I'll shut up now!

:argh:

Bleen
12-11-2005, 03:43 PM
Thanks for the tips, I could see one... and then I could see ALL! :)
The trick is, open ALL in different tabs and do one which has a simple object. Leave the mouse on the close tab button and once you get to see that one, start closing tabs... you'll see all of them without effort :thumbsup:
These remind me of holograms...

Jozvex
12-11-2005, 10:58 PM
Nice idea with the tabs!

I remember reading/hearing once that for some people the object appears to come out of the picture, while for others the scene appears to go back further into the picture so it's like the object is in a box behind the glass.

For me I see the scenery go backwards, which I think sounds less impressive than the object floating out forwards.

PhilOsirus
12-12-2005, 12:20 AM
It's weird how you can even move side to side, blink, and it's still there!

KRZ9000
12-12-2005, 09:18 AM
yeah its amazing...once your in your in:)

my personal trick is to move my eyes quite close to the image and then move back (while still looking throught the pic, like to something far behind the monitor) until i found the sweet-blur-spot that sucks me into the scene. once in - the pics look so huge!

arvid
12-12-2005, 03:15 PM
I always found these to be very easy to see, I can separate my eyes at any time so they go apart, I usually go much too far than is necessary before I lock at the correct distance :)

That AVI was pretty hard to see due to the high contrast noise, but it works :cool:

coboman
12-12-2005, 05:44 PM
I have no Idea how long it's been around

Kai´s power tools had it around 10 years ago, when it was still a fad.
Now, I don´t think there is enough people to sell this things to.

zdk1
12-12-2005, 08:37 PM
I remember reading/hearing once that for some people the object appears to come out of the picture, while for others the scene appears to go back further into the picture so it's like the object is in a box behind the glass.

For me I see the scenery go backwards, which I think sounds less impressive than the object floating out forwards.

It depends on if you're focusing in front or behind the image. Focusing in front (cross-eyed) will yield a "backwards"/receding image. It think what you're actually supposed to do is focus through the image, which will make the image "pop-out." Thats harder though, since its easier to manually pull your focus closer than it is the look through an image.
One ttrick that might help is to focus on something behind the monitor, then try to bring your gaze across the image without changing focus.

I can usually only manage the negative views, but the positive (farsighted) ones are impressive when they come up :)

Dagibit
01-04-2006, 10:51 PM
Oh, wow! I'd composed this when the server was slow and nothing happened when I tried to post it. I assumed that noone got it lol! I'm glad your all having fun!

DominikSusmel
01-05-2006, 01:21 AM
I can't see it damnit :)))) I've crossed my eyes, focused behind the screen.. doing the finger trick..nothing..all I get is swirling in the picture at best..ah well :(

eek
01-05-2006, 01:54 AM
basically the rule is look through the picture, ie you have to make your eyes basically dead, then squint slightly. I.e like when you day dream.

Im finding it harder to work with these new type of generated ones. I much prefer actual posters. I think theres new way of generating them, i tend to see a double image at first - basically i see a steroscophic version in 3d then i have to kind twist my head and it falls into place.

eek

CGTalk Moderation
01-05-2006, 01:54 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.