PDA

View Full Version : More talk about possible live-action Evangelion (Richard Taylor of Weta Workshop)

ArtisticVisions
12-11-2005, 03:06 AM
Weta's visual-effects supervisor Richard Taylor recently talked with Sci-Fi Wire more about the possiblity of a live-action Neon Genesis Evangelion film: link (http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire2005/index.php?id=33604)

Honestly... I have mixed opinions about this. There's no doubt that Weta would do a fantastic job with the film (if they were the ones brought on to handle the production), but do really I really want to see a live-action Eva? I don't think so. :shrug:

holosynthetic
12-11-2005, 03:42 AM
Finally some news on the eva movie! I finished watching the platinum box set this past week and started to wonder what the current status of the movie was. It seems a lot of fans of the series are against a live action film, I on the other hand am completely supporting the idea. I figure that even if the film doesn't turn out to meet the expectations of the fans, it still won't make the original anime series any less great then it is. I actually hope that even if the film doesn't do to well that it will bring lots of sales of the anime dvd's, and it might give the creator an incentive to make more eva shows (rumors of the characters in an alternate universe very shortly touched on at the end of one of the anime movies).

PhilOsirus
12-11-2005, 07:16 AM
One thing I know is that it's about time we see a live-action movie about giant mechas! I want to see a life-like Gundam or Appleseed movie (hopefully not from Hollywood tho, because then the story would most likely suck).

chrisWhite
12-11-2005, 08:17 AM
If they make it I hope it's based on the earlier episodes and not the films, got way too weird for me towards the end. Some interesting philosophy in there, but I wonder how it would go over with an American audience as a wholeónot that it has to be the target audience by any stretch of the imagination, just wondering how an American culture would handle it.

Eh, who cares, I'm definitely game for seeing some Weta animated Eva's destroy everything in their path.

Peddy
12-11-2005, 08:51 AM
might give the creator an incentive to make more eva shows (rumors of the characters in an alternate universe very shortly touched on at the end of one of the anime movies).

This if Off topic, and i apologise, but it has to be said:

There will not be an evangelion sequel. And if there is, it wont be directed by Hideaki Anno. If he doesnt direct it, its not worth the trouble.

Do you remember in End of Evangelion at the end with the live action montage, and there are flashes of typed letters in japanese? thats hate mail. from his fans. they hated the end of the series, and they bullied him into making a movie. several scenes throughout the movie represent the disdain Anno felt after the completion of his legacy. It was an emotional time for him, which is one reason why the movie is so beautifully f***ed up. i doubt he wants to revisit that again.

i want, however, to be proven wrong.

back on topic: ive had my eye on the live action film for some time, but theres too much emotional ground to cover in the series to have the full effect blossom in a live action movie. id watch its from fandom, but im dubius.

Sagii
12-11-2005, 02:22 PM
Ha ha ha... I read the title wrong.. I thought you said.. "More talk about possible live-action Evangelists (Richard Taylor of Weta Workshop)" I thought you meant that Weta was going to make a movie about evangelists... it sounded very weird. :D

tufif
12-11-2005, 03:48 PM
One thing I know is that it's about time we see a live-action movie about giant mechas! I want to see a life-like Gundam or Appleseed movie (hopefully not from Hollywood tho, because then the story would most likely suck).

There was a live action gundam movie made a while back called g-savior. I've got the dvd somewhere, haven't watched it in a while, but it was entertaining.

I read an article on cnn.com about making the evangelion movie, and it looked really promising. I'm looking forward to it.

ArtisticVisions
12-11-2005, 04:23 PM
I read an article on cnn.com about making the evangelion movie, and it looked really promising. I'm looking forward to it.
If you have a link, I'd love to see that.

Peddy: Correct, Anno has no intention of returning to the Eva universe (and I'm perfectly fine with that).
The only real "sequel" (if you want to call it that) to Eva is the new PS2 game that's coming out with in Japan, which features several changes in the story depending on how you play (it was things like Toji/Kawarou joining Shinji in fighting the Angels :eek: and romantic subplots with Shinji/Rei :surprised ).

TheChosen1
12-11-2005, 11:53 PM
This movie has already been done. It was called Robot Jocks, thank you very much. :D

angel
12-12-2005, 12:09 AM
romantic sub plots with Shinji and Rei? that's just wrong...:argh:

Eva is one of my favorites animes (Majinga still rules) I haven't seen end of evangelion... is it worth getting? How about Death and Rebirth?

anyway, the concept art that Weta did was awesome, I would love to see a live action Unit1 going berserk.

Peddy
12-12-2005, 12:18 AM
death and rebirth are mostly just recap movies to watch as an alternative to the whole series to remind you whats what and whos who before you watch end of evangelion, which is, IMHO, a must see.

Agent Vesago
12-12-2005, 05:43 AM
This movie has already been done. It was called Robot Jocks, thank you very much. :D

Crash and Burn! :thumbsup:

isoparmB
12-12-2005, 06:32 AM
I just hope they keep the original character names and concepts. I saw a piece of preprod art that showed Asuka named as Rose. Gnyaarck. The characters are one element I hope the film makers don't play around with.

I'd love to see an Eva live movie.

Boone
12-12-2005, 08:00 PM
I don't care if they get even Jessica Simpson to play Auska - I WANT TO F***ING SEE EVAS STOMPING THE SHIT OUT OF LOS ANGELES 3! :bounce:

ArtisticVisions
12-12-2005, 09:08 PM
I don't care if they get even Jessica Simpson to play Auska - I WANT TO F***ING SEE EVAS STOMPING THE SHIT OUT OF LOS ANGELES 3! :bounce:
... Now that would be creepy. :surprised
(the Jessica Simpson/Los Angeles 3, I mean)

Darktwin
12-13-2005, 01:59 AM
LOL....that was awesome, such a crappy movie, but I watched it a handful of times,

Boone
12-13-2005, 06:59 PM
Re: Artistic Visions.

I detest the very sight of that damn woman! :scream: So now you have an idea of how much I want to see an Eva on the big screen... :beer:

Re: TheChosen1.

I must be the only person on the planet that really wants to watch it, but has never done so... :banghead:

Apoclypse
12-13-2005, 09:23 PM
To do the series justice this has to at least be a trilogy or something. Or maybe they are looking to do a franchise like harry potter.

Apoclypse
12-13-2005, 09:27 PM
All the love they put into there toher productions and you can tell in the results. Can you imagine what they would do with this, when they are clearly enthralled with the subject. It would a production that woudl trancend all productions. I love weta.

Boone
12-13-2005, 09:43 PM
I think trying to remake the original series and movies would be slightly pointless - why not just watch them? No, what I believe we need is a new chapter in the saga - perhaps the event of Second Impact? The film could show the relationship between Gendo, Yui, Futsiki( I think thats his name? ) and Ritsuko's mom. Hell, you could have the Sele group acting from the shadows...

And to have Adam itself in the climax - it would be a sight to remember!

If anyone here can ask Richard Taylor - I'd love to help writing a suitable script.

holosynthetic
12-13-2005, 11:15 PM
I think trying to remake the original series and movies would be slightly pointless - why not just watch them? No, what I believe we need is a new chapter in the saga - perhaps the event of Second Impact? The film could show the relationship between Gendo, Yui, Futsiki( I think thats his name? ) and Ritsuko's mom. Hell, you could have the Sele group acting from the shadows...

If anyone here can ask Richard Taylor - I'd love to help writing a suitable script.

While this would be most interesting for them to go into events of the past so we could get a better understanding of what happened, most people would like to see the eva's in a fight. Being a fan I could watch the episodes where it lightly touched on these past events and still have that eva feel only because of the familiar character faces after seeing the beginning of the series. If they made a movie about these past events most people including myself would probably have a hard time getting the eva feel because the characters will look different (because they're actually human now), and that there wouldn't be any evangelion units.

Peddy
12-14-2005, 01:08 AM

that limits the demographic. more people would see a movie where you dont need to know about the characters and story in order to find another story interesting or relevant.

P_T
12-14-2005, 02:01 AM
The story's prolly just gonna be "loosely based upon", and I don't see them having a mainly asian cast for this movie. Shinji's gonna be Bob and Rei's gonna be Sally or sumtin.

You think this movie can make it to the theater without some Christian zealots boycotting it? :D

Icarus
12-14-2005, 02:53 AM
Being a Longtime fan of the Series ive gotta jump in

Ive got mixed feelings about a Live Action Movie for it, The show had so many stories going through it, mixing with different things, i think that attempting to pull it all intogether to a live action movie mite not pull though (but i fully support the whole idea, i'd love to see it done and pulled off brilliantly )

i just hope that if/when it does come ready to be shown that they keep it to the origional ... feeling, characters, enviroments etc.. i'd personally hate to lose all that into a small little hic-up

Thats me thou.

Boone
12-14-2005, 11:04 PM
I dunno - I really think that Evangelion's greatest strength was simply it's characters. The Evas were great, and I would love to see them busting Angel ass on the big screen, but Adam was always a "WTF" in the series. Maybe the whole enjoyment would be to have all of the adult cast give us new drama, and the event of Adam - it would build up like High Noon! You don't get much better than a "giant of light"... :cool:

Think about it - it would be easier to find an adult cast of normal looking people rather than "unusual" children. Rei for argument's sake! :lightbulb

Gendo falling in with Sele, the involvement of goverments etc - wait - what about Eve's impalement? The creation of the Magi? I really think it would work as its something that was only hinted at in the series. Its room to explore deeper into the Eva mythology, events of Titanic proportions and won't be a simple rehash of the series.

Face it - if anything is different from the original series, the fans will be running riot with Torches and pitchforks...this would sidestep the whole problem.

Bonedaddy
12-14-2005, 11:11 PM
It is all about the characters, which is what Anno focused on in the original ending (which, to my mind, was superior).

A lot of the series is about familial relationships, learning to forgive oneself and one another, and I think any sort of prequel would lose a lot of that generational tone. It'd just be a bunch of f-ed up people screwing with each others' heads.

Boone
12-14-2005, 11:19 PM
Re: Bonedaddy.

"It'd just be a bunch of f-ed up people screwing with each others' heads."

But thats the fun of it! People getting off on each other! :twisted:

AmbiDextrose
12-15-2005, 01:15 AM
wait - what about Eve's impalement?

Hmmm? That being impaled with the Spear of Longinus and kept in Central Dogma deep underneath NERV HQ? Don't you mean Lilith?

DDS
12-15-2005, 01:52 AM

lol that made me laugh :D

DDS
12-15-2005, 01:57 AM
As a lot of you said and like the FF7 movie, you can't really fit that awesome anime in a 2h movie. I'm not a director at all, but whoever can introduce Evangelion characters and plot in less than 2h and make the movie not suck, deserves quite a lot of admiration.

Of course effects would be awesome, even if movie storytelling totally sucked :D

ArtisticVisions
12-15-2005, 03:01 AM
Hmmm? That being impaled with the Spear of Longinus and kept in Central Dogma deep underneath NERV HQ? Don't you mean Lilith?
Yeah, it was Lilith and not Adam(she also didn't get impaled with the Spear until halfway throught the TV series).

I don't really like the idea of the movie being a "prequel" movie (that is, taking place before Second Impact), simply because we already know about that story from the final episodes of the series. Also, it takes away from the main themes of the story, which revolves around the main characters (the Children).

Berserga
12-15-2005, 06:04 AM
Do you remember in End of Evangelion at the end with the live action montage, and there are flashes of typed letters in japanese? thats hate mail. from his fans. they hated the end of the series, and they bullied him into making a movie. several scenes throughout the movie represent the disdain Anno felt after the completion of his legacy. It was an emotional time for him, which is one reason why the movie is so beautifully f***ed up. i doubt he wants to revisit that again.

Well frankly I agreen with the haters. EoE is a big F-U to those who gave a damn about any of the characters.

I remember walking out of the theater at Otakon 1999 after having seen EoE and being EXTREMELY annoyed. The pretentious live action shot of an audience sitting in stunned silence clearly show's anno's intent. He disliked the commercial monster that his very personal project had transformed into, (It was said that Gainax could have sold a tin of dog poop in the mid 90s if they just put Rei Ayanami's picture on it) therefore he gave the fans the "real" ending they had asked for... and then some :)

Anyway Before that I really liked Evangelion... Though the hardcore newbies were starting to become the Narutards of their day.

Ah well... After 10 years I'm at a point where I want to watch the TV series again.... I might actually pick up one of the DVD sets if they get cheap enough.

ArtisticVisions
12-15-2005, 03:42 PM
Berserga: I've seen the new DVD set of Evangelion (the Platinum Edition) going for as low as $50 in some stores. (heck, I saw it in Walmart for as low as $40 :drool: )

Boone
12-15-2005, 04:10 PM
Well, whatever happens - its upto the filmmakers.

I personally feel that the Second Impact would make a great prequel, but I reckon its gonna end up like Death( the first EVA movie ).

flawedprefect
12-15-2005, 09:52 PM
It's probably been mentioned before... I apoligse in advance... but what is the point of re-telling something in movie form? Does it somehow legitimize it? Why remake 60s sitcoms, comic books, vidoe games and now Anime serials into movies? There are so many bombs and flops out there of these sorts of movies (Mario Bros, Bewitched, Aeon Flux, Catwoman, Hitchhiker's Guide) that I would have thought SOMEBODY SOMEWHERE would have thought "hang about: we're utterly, utterly failing to capture the essence of the original story; we're trying to cram 26 episodes of a favourite show, or subtleties that can be only told in serial form... maybe we should give up."

Of course, I could be very very wrong.

Eva is one of my favourite animes - both endings, all episodes. Its themes and characters have been something I've been able to sustain lengthy conversations with friends about (from intertextual judeo-christian references to who would you rather sleep with: Misato, or Ritsuko)

A movie would just be an excuse to get giant mechas CGI'd and put up on a big screen for an INSANE amount of money.

*sigh* and there are starving kids in Asia...

trakeen
12-16-2005, 02:46 AM
I don't want a live action movie because I don't want to see shinji whine on screen for 2 hours 30 min like he does throughout the entire series. Eva has 2 of the worst characters in an anime (shinji and asuka, only naga from slayers is more annoying then shinji)

I'm also not sure how they would pull off all the sexual references that eva has with child actors (definatly wouldn't see shinji spoo'ing over askua like in EoE)

There are better animes that could be made into moves. Stellvia is a good "kids" flick that features kids in space saving the universe (and the one main chick is whiny but not as bad as shinji). Gits: stand alone complex would also make an awesome live action movie. Or have about a live action movie based off the incredible "voices of a distant star" short?

I'm sure they would change the japanesse characters in eva into american versions but I think they would ruin the story if they did. While I hate shinji, I did enjoy eva quite a bit. I also think the eva story is to complicated for american audiences and many of the christian references wouldn't go over here to well

flawedprefect
12-16-2005, 04:02 AM
I don't want a live action movie because I don't want to see shinji whine on screen for 2 hours 30 min like he does throughout the entire series.

:applause: :applause: :applause:

Dude, you made my gaffaw out loud.

Boone
12-16-2005, 11:31 AM
Re: Trakeen.

Where did Naga get that f***ing laugh? :scream:

One of my favourite characters, though. :)

Antonbomb22
12-16-2005, 12:11 PM
yeah but if they do their going to remove all the gore and violence really that made the series so great.

ZephyrStar
12-16-2005, 01:41 PM
I definately want to see Eva weta style. The thing is, I know they're (ADV) going to butcher the story and westernize it, so they can make the money. You can't blame them for that, honestly, since people are in the movie business to make money. Sometimes unfortunately the stories gets torn apart to suit the tastes of the mindless masses to make a quick buck. I truly hope this won't be the case with Eva (or at least I hope it won't be as bad as I think it will) but my strategy is to decide ahead of time that it will be the most awful movie ever created, then, when I go to see it I may be pleasantly suprised.

I don't think we can expect a very good adaptation (such as Narnia, I thought they did an excellent job, got some great no-name actors too) since the general public isn't as aware of the original series. Sure there are lots of people who have seen Eva and love it, it has a cult following, but even then I kinda doubt that will justify spending 250$M on it and keeping it as true to the story as big-screen Narnia did.

Obviously if weta does the CG/costumes, it will be very very pretty, and I will have to see it just for that. Even if it does end up being another "Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within," gyaaah, I have to watch that movie muted. I simply love the concept art so far, it's some really amazing stuff and very true to the original series. I especially like the look of the drilling angel, really freakin cool. Can't wait to see the positron sniper rifle on the big screen. And the first angel, Sachiel, is probably my favorite. The battle Shinji has with him is probably one of my favorite as well. I should hope they keep the torrent of blood washing the streets scenes =)

At any rate, no doubt anything that can be made now would ever be as good as the original (unless maybe Anno directed), but I will await it anxiously. I always enjoy a new take on something I really like.

my 4 cents.

-Chris

CGTalk Moderation
12-16-2005, 01:41 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.