PDA

View Full Version : Flash for Saturday Morning Cartoons

proton
11-24-2002, 05:14 AM
Mucha Lucha:

http://www2.warnerbros.com/lucha/home.html

They are using Flash for the website and for the actual show....great stuff!

Kieguy
11-24-2002, 07:36 AM
Proton,

Yes, I remember seeing this site a month or 2 ago! I really like the look of it...the character design, etc, plus the flash/site overall design! Seems funny and well written too...not like so much of the bland crap out there! Never have seen it on TV though myself.

Where did you see or how do you know that they use Flash for the actual TV animation? Surely you don't mean the entire show? Are you referring to the 'Build Your Own Wrestler' winners appearing on the TV show? (COOL feature and idea, by the way! :thumbsup: I spent way too much time playing with the costume builder when I first found this site.)

BTW...thanks to you and all responsible for this new Flash forum!!

[EDIT: moved off topic question to new thread]

proton
11-24-2002, 02:58 PM
I'll try and get a link to the announcement.....

Kieguy
11-24-2002, 06:35 PM
Could this have been it?

http://news.awn.com/index.php3?ltype=top&newsitem_no=7161

This mentions it's 'Flash animated' in just as many words, no more detail than that. Wonder if they're using something like Toon Boom then or one of the other more character-animation-oriented apps that can output to Flash then...? Very interesting though.

proton
11-24-2002, 07:27 PM
The one I read was very clear that it was all Flash....I'll try and find it....PowerHouse Animation is 100% Flash as well...

Slacker
11-24-2002, 08:25 PM
Cool link. Never seen the show, but that wrestler builder was very fun. Here's my creation...

Slacker Wrestler (http://www2.warnerbros.com/web/lucha/preview.jsp?wrestlerId=649431&q=2&uname=Slacker)

Sketch23
11-24-2002, 08:43 PM
Hey guys. I worked at the studio that did Mucha Lucha(I was working on a different Flash internet project, though). It is entirelly done in Flash... except for editing. They had some great people working on it. Really cool stuff!

Kieguy
11-28-2002, 05:09 AM
Yo Sketch,

Wow...I guess that ties up any doubt on that question then! :D (amazing how many pros pop up here)

By Flash...you're talking the actual "Macromedia Flash" application, or do they use something else that outputs in Flash .swf format, like Toon Boom or LiveMotion, etc? And is the artwork drawn on paper first, then scanned and re-traced, either auto-trace in Flash or another app...or hand-traced? Maybe you can't talk about the whole process, that's fine too...whatever you would be allowed to say. I'm just curious!!

It IS really cool stuff! Not sure I'd heard of PowerHouse Animation before too...what else have they done or have in the works?

And...why IS it that so many animation/film/effects houses are concentrated in Vancouver (other than labor costs if that's a main factor)? There's gotta be some history online about that somewhere?

Sketch23
11-28-2002, 05:10 PM
Hey Kieguy

It was actually done at a studio called Bardel. The other company must have distrubed it.... I'm not too sure what the deal was there, cause like I said I wasn't on that show.
The storyboards and model sheets where hand drawn first and scanned in... then cleaned up in Flash.

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 03:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.