PDA

View Full Version : Sketchbook Thread of Spirit Dreamer

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23

SpiritDreamer
07-14-2008, 02:56 PM
JULY 14, 2008

Kishii...THANK YOU VERY MUCH.:) .Glad you are enjoy it..:)
TAKE CARE
Glenn

Worked on the background this morning..used the 3D flat plane tool in Z BRUSH..Added a marble texture from the texture menu. Then set the brush size big, and hit it with a bunch of different alphas, brush set on add, and subtract brush settings....Then used the inflate brush,...then the smooth brush over the whole thing...Then went back into it with a couple of alphas to give the smoothed over rocks some texture...really quick method, .took all of ten minutes..:)
Next, the water wave action at the bottom of the rocks the sea lions are perched on.

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/SEA_LION_PAIR_ON_SEA_ROCKS_1.jpg

AUMAKUA
07-14-2008, 03:44 PM
Cool rocks Glenn :) btw, have you thought of rendering different passes in ZB and then do a compositing in PS ? it would give you awesome control imho ;)

SpiritDreamer
07-15-2008, 12:25 PM
JULY 15, 2008

Hey..THANKS... Nick..:) ...I have never used Photo Shop..LOL:)
I only know the Painter #9 program, and a little bit about Z BRUSH.
I'm trying to get the results i'm after in this one, by just using Z BRUSH..I figure doing it that way, will force me to learn more about what Z BRUSH is able to achieve...Just challenging myself, and making it hard on myself here, but like it's said, ..NO PAIN, NO GAIN..:eek: :)
THANKS FOR THE VISIT AND SUGGESTION Nick...ALWAYS VERY MUCH WELCOMED, AND ALSO, VERY MUCH APPRECEATED..:thumbsup: :)
TAKE CARE, and HAVE A GREAT ONE..Nick
Glenn

Worked this morning on the water action in the forground...used the 3D flat plane tool in Z BRUSH...put a swirly marble texture on it, and then used the snake hook brush in Z BRUSH, to pull some water over the rocks, and also at the same time, make triangles that act like little arrows that point in the direction of the sea lions.
I now need to figure out a good way to put some whiteish froth at the top of the wave splashes, and make the whole forground come alive with the motion of the ocean..:)
The bottom post, is just a quick lighting test.
Glenn

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/SEA_LION_PAIR_ON_SEA_ROCKS_2.jpg

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/SEA_LION_PAIR_ON_SEA_ROCKS_3.jpg

AUMAKUA
07-15-2008, 06:13 PM
Just keep the great work coming Glenn ! if I can ever be a tiny bit useful I will be really glad to, my friend ;) ( I sometimes tend to mix up rendered stuff in terrible ways into PS and once or twice the result comes up funny lol)

razz
07-15-2008, 06:38 PM
Woah, as always many many updates here, great to see. Working on the workshop piece as I see. Coming along nicely. True to your style. Waiting to see the magic :)

alicelefay
07-16-2008, 07:51 AM
The sea lion is absolutely cute!! :)

I really love the way you rendered the body in the digital paintings, and your imaginative world :bowdown:

waiting to see more :D

SpiritDreamer
07-16-2008, 12:02 PM
JULY 16, 2008

HEY ..Nick ...THANKS and THANK YOU for the offer, I will for sure take you up on it.....Like maybe perspective, which you are great at, and I am lousy at..just one thing among many that just came to mind...So be prepared my friend..LOL And also, if there is anything that I can help you out with, in the way of painting or whatever, just let me know,..I will be more than happy to share whatever I know with you, anytime.. THANKS Nick.:thumbsup:

HEY...RAZZZZ...THANKS..You know it's always a pleasure to have you stop by, even if just to say HI..and I will try to keep that magic alive for as long as I am able to..you can bet on that, and you'll win..LOL.:)

Alice..REALLY GLAD THAT YOU STOPPED BY. and THANK YOU for the kind words also. ..Glad that you are enjoying my little part of the world of make believe..:)
TAKE CARE, and HAVE A GREAT ONE..EVERYONE..:thumbsup:
Glenn

A little more work done on this sea lion cave scene this morning.
Water and Rock.
The second and fourth post are just quick lighting studies, to give me an idea of how the mood will be affected by the amount of shadow in the background, and light in the forground.
Glenn

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/SEA_LION_PAIR_ON_SEA_ROCKS_4.jpg

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/SEA_LION_PAIR_ON_SEA_ROCKS_5.jpg

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/SEA_LION_PAIR_ON_SEA_ROCKS_6.jpg

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/SEA_LION_PAIR_ON_SEA_ROCKS_7.jpg

SpiritDreamer
07-17-2008, 01:53 AM
JULY 16, 2008
A little experiment in trying to make fur, USING THE RAKE BRUSH IN Z BRUSH.
Z BRUSH 3D SPHERE..QUICK THUMBNAIL SCULPTURE STUDY

I used the rake brush,combining zadd and zsub strokes of that brush,..overlapping them to build up the edges of the ears.
Used the clay tubes brush to blockin all of the forms to start with, clay brush for the eyes, and skakehook brush for the teeth, birds wings, beak,and tail fearthers...a little of the inflate brush here and there.
Great brushes/sculpting tools, and all found in Z BRUSH.
Glenn

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/CHEETA_WITH_BIRD_IN_MOUTH.jpg

NR43
07-17-2008, 06:29 AM
Hi Glenn,

There is always one thread that just keeps going day after day on this whole forum....
If these forums are at the shores of the land of artists, you are the lighthouse!

I've finally shifted into the next gear for myself and started studying color...
Do you perhaps have any tips or good exercises to train my color skills?
Would be really nice of you :)

We went to SeaLife Centre last week with the kids and there were some sealions there as well... tried to make a picture with the kids in front of the big reservoir as those see lions passed by but I failed miserably LOL. Anyway, those animals are a lot bigger than I expected and they are pretty smart too! Impressive creatures!

AUMAKUA
07-17-2008, 10:28 AM
Thank You Glenn :) cool color palette on the rocks, nice painterly quality my friend :)
heh, lunch time for the predator ;)

SpiritDreamer
07-17-2008, 02:05 PM
JULY 17, 2008

WOW..Johan...kind words, and very nice thought...THANK YOU.. I never thought about being a lighthose before.:) .Just trying to pass on what i've learned, and what has been passed on to me over the years..Hopefully in the end, I will have had a small part in a huge play, at keeping the art ball rolling along.
I will be glad to share with you what I have learned about color, give me a couple of days to reflex back on the color theory class that I took for three years, about 30 plus years ago..the first thing I remember about it, was that it almost made me go blind...staring at colors for hours on end..LOL..:eek:

HEY ..Nick...THANK YOU.. ..LOL..That bird in it's mouth started out as a tonque, believe it or not..messed up the tonque, so I just let it evolve into what it was wanting to be all along I guess..goes to show you, ..YOU JUST NEVER KNOW, AND SOMETIMES IT'S BEST TO JUST GO WITH THE FLOW...LOL..:)
THANKS FOR THE FEEDBACK AND VISIT GUYS...ALWAYS APPRECEATED AND HELPFUL..:thumbsup:
TAKE CARE, AND HAVE A GREAT ONE
Glenn

Worked on the water, background, and rock the sea lions are perched on this morning...Painting with the MATERIALS in Z BRUSH, setting set on Mrgb,... and using the DRAG brush.
The second post is just a quick lighting study.
Glenn

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/SEA_LION_PAIR_ON_SEA_ROCKS_8.jpg

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/SEA_LION_PAIR_ON_SEA_ROCKS_9.jpg

AUMAKUA
07-17-2008, 03:38 PM
Great update Glenn :) it would be really nice if one could have better control on ZB's cameras to move them accurately. You could make amazing stereoscoping renders of your art !

sycen
07-17-2008, 06:07 PM
Your works are fun to watch.
:bowdown:

Intervain
07-17-2008, 11:44 PM
I really love the one chewing on a bird ;) great character! And your colour palette on the last one's fantastic!

SpiritDreamer
07-18-2008, 12:12 PM
JULY 18, 2008

HEY ..Nick...THANK YOU.. I don't don't have a clue as to what STEREOSCOPING is, but it sounds great...ENLIGHTEN ME...:)
If you have an extra free moment that is , of course..:)

Sycen...THANK YOU..Glad it gives you pleasure..:)

HEY...Magdalena...THANK YOU.. ..You know that one with the bird in it's mouth, was supposed to be an African cheeta/cat...but now that I look at it with fresh eyes, it looks more like a farret/weasel...I think I will add a weasel body to it..should be a fun experiment...:)

THANKS GUYS..Your feedback is always appreceated, and helpful..:thumbsup:
TAKE CARE, AND HAVE A GREAT ONE..:)
Glenn

I am thinking of calling this one done...used the rendering settings in Z BRUSH to get the shadows under the rock in the forground where it meets the water to look more natural, and the same with the rocks in the background.
I had thought about putting the sea lions in a spotlight,with brighter colors throughout, but I think that this lighting setup captures the feeling that i'm after more.
I learned a lot about Z BRUSH from this one, and also managed to stay in Z BRUSH for the whole thing, without having to go into Painter #9 for the finish, which is usually the case. Staying within Z BRUSH was my main goal for this one, ..mission acomplished...:)
Now,..with a couple of days left, I think I will go back and refine the group setting of sea lions, done in relief style that I started at the beginning of this work shop..:)

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/SEA_LION_PAIR_ON_SEA_ROCKS10.jpg

SpiritDreamer
07-18-2008, 02:38 PM
JULY 18, 2008

This morning I went back into, and started working some more on this Z BRUSH relief sculpture/painting that I started at the beginning of this workshop ..Just having a great time, and a lot of fun while experimenting and exploring..with and in Z BRUSH :D :)
Glenn

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/SEA_LION_ON_ROCK_40.jpg

AUMAKUA
07-18-2008, 03:56 PM
Great ones Glenn :) I will send you a couple of interesting links about stereo images in a pm.

SpiritDreamer
07-19-2008, 12:48 PM
JULY 19, 2008

THANKS ..Nick..:) ..I am just getting ready to check out that pm you sent me yesterday...was just too hot here yesterday to run the computer ...90 degrees plus..:eek: ..Big thunder and lighting storm last night..nice and cool morning this morning...will be a 90 plus degree muggy swamp like atmosphere again by noon..WAITING FOR SNOW..LOL:)
THANKS AGAIN ..Nick
TAKE CARE, HAVE A GREAT ONE,..and STAY COOL..:cool:
Glenn

Played around this morning with this sea lion cave relief sculpture/painting....Mainly trying to get the water and cave to harmonize with the outside sky,..with blue reflexted from the sky on the top surfaces of the water, and then reflexting off of the water and bouncing around on the rocks of the cave walls.
Glenn

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/SEA_LION_ON_ROCK_41.jpg

DivineRAiN
07-19-2008, 06:28 PM
awww, they're so cute, and the texture of their fur looks soft. The last rendering of the two sea lions is really good... definitely nice colors and texture, some areas look slick and shiny.

ceruleanvii
07-19-2008, 07:11 PM
Came over to check in on my favorite sea lion family :) They look great, I really like the basic model you've come up with.

SpiritDreamer
07-20-2008, 11:42 AM
JULY 20, 2008

Devine RAIN...THANK YOU..Glad you enjoyed them..:)

HEY ..Del...THANKS..:) This is a good one to play around with, because in reality, the water,atmosphere, mood, lighting, colors, ect. are never the same on any given day in that cave, they're always in a state of changing, from moment to moment and are always on the move.
TAKE CARE and THANKS for the feedback..Always welcomed, appreceated, and helpful.
Glenn

Did some more work on this 3D relief sculpture/painting this morning..Mainly just experimenting and exploring with painting and sculpting using the MATERIALS in Z BRUSH.
Glenn

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/SEA_LION_ON_ROCK_47.jpg

SpiritDreamer
07-21-2008, 02:25 PM
JULY 21, 2008
Playing around with reflextive color this morning, and refining details of composition...Started the wave action at the entrance to the cave...above the top sea lions back...want more depth in that area...Kind of like in DaVinci's Maddona of the Rocks painting, except the ocean in this case..:)
All work on this piece done in Z BRUSH.
Glenn

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/SEA_LION_ON_ROCK_49.jpg

SpiritDreamer
07-21-2008, 11:37 PM
JULY 21, 2008

Z BRUSH 3D flat plane tool..relief sculpture/painting.
A little further along with this experiment in creating a wave action using Z BRUSH alphas and materials for this sea lion cave that i've been working on and am trying to finish.
I went to the library, and got a good book on seascapes the other day.
THE SEASCAPE PAINTERS PROBLEM BOOK by E. JOHN ROBINSON.
GREAT book, and painter..He explaines and demonstrates how all of the different wave actions work...Crashing against rocks, foam action, transparent water, luminousity, and a ton of other stuff that's really important to understanding wave action..:)
Glenn

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/SEA_LION_ON_ROCK_52.jpg

SpiritDreamer
07-22-2008, 12:39 PM
JULY 22, 2008
A little further along this morning with this sea lion cave.
Toning things down, going for color values, and a better sense of realism,..and learning alot as I push it further...:)
All work done on it using Z BRUSH
Glenn

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/SEA_LION_ON_ROCK_56.jpg

alenah
07-22-2008, 08:33 PM
hey Glenn, finally I have some time so I could go through the whole process of your sea-lion family - you are just incredible with your freedom artistic approach to the material you are working with ..
and I very much like your relief-sculptings (you have a few of them in here) as well, .. and the water in your last updates looks realy nice!
youŽll miss the workshop, I guess :) but - you will immediatelly sculpt or paint (or both at the same time :) ) another amazing piece of your art, I am sure, since you seem you never rest or sleep :)
great work, interesting approach, Glenn!
keep it up!
a.

SpiritDreamer
07-23-2008, 01:29 PM
JULY 23, 2008

HEY ..Alena...THANK YOU..:) I can get away with alot on these 3d works, like messed up meshes ext. and can also be more free in my approach to 3d than most of the 3d people that i've seen in here, ..for the simple reason that i'm not doing these 3d pieces for animation.
If it prints good enough for a poster, than that's good enough for me.That's all i'm doing with them at this time...Just gives me some new stuff for my store, and some small shops around my area where i've been selling my works..I have an outfit..CAFE PRESS, that puts my images on jewlery boxes, tote bags, cards and a ton of other stuff that sells.The general public likes them, and they could care less how they were done. The only thing that matters to them, is that the image is pleasing to their eye...:)
Oh,..I GET PLENTY OF SLEEP..LOL...I am just used to getting up at 4 am..Been doing it all of my life, or most of it anyway,.and now that i'm retired from the hard labor jobs that i've been doing sinse I was a kid..Teamster Union Office Mover for the last twenty years. I moved just about every highrise office building in downtown Boston over the years, and also worked the convention centers,..putting up the shows, and then tearing them down three or four days later, loading all the stuff into the trucks, and then seeing them go on their way, and then unloading the trucks for the new show, setting the show up, tearing it down..over and over, and over...for twenty years..LOL..Hell of a way to make a living, but it got the bills paid, and also let me create my art with the freedom that I desired concerning it..:)
Now I get up at 4am, and instead of breaking my back all day, I play on the computer until about noon,learn new things about digital art everyday..help a few people out in this forum hopefully,..and create whatever comes to mind, and sell it.:)
Yes I will miss that workshop, it was a really fun one..nice group of people entered into it, and it was a great learning experiance for me.
Hopefully, there will be lots more workshops coming up..I think that I have been in every one since they were created..well over twenty I think..They have all been fun, and also great learning experiances, for me, and also for everyone who was envolved in them i think.
It' a FANTASIC and GREAT IN EVERY WAY forum that Rebecca put together here, and I hope it just keeps going, and growing stronger as time goes by...I feel very fortunite to just be a part of it..Makes my day, a brighter day,..everyday...:)
THANKS FOR THE FEEDBACK ..Alena..Always welcomed, appreceated, and helpful..:thumbsup:
TAKE CARE
Glenn

Started a new sculpture this morning..WEASEL WITH BIRD IN MOUTH.:)
Created four subtools, and then merged them..Need to make legs and tail next,..fur,..and a nice tree branch for it to be perched on.

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/WEASEL_WITH_BIRD_1.jpg

alenah
07-23-2008, 03:28 PM
..so - after all those tough years - finally you have time for yourself - and for your art .. and you seem you really enjoy it :)
good for you!
/and good for those you are helpful to in the community as well :)
take care, Glenn, looking forward to watching your futher projects developing :)
a.

AUMAKUA
07-23-2008, 04:32 PM
Your never ending lust for new creations shows once more Glenn :) I really envy your spirit and verve Sir ! and really wonder about how the lucky weasel comes along :)

tennen312
07-23-2008, 11:57 PM
Great thread - you are truly an artist's artist! Love your work and your spirit -

SpiritDreamer
07-24-2008, 02:36 PM
JULY 24, 2008

THANKS ..Alena...:) I guess everything happens for a reason, at least that is what my mother used to tell me all the time when she was alive, when I would ask WHY..:) It's proven to be true...all I have to do is look back, and I can see the reasons clearly.. how one thing led and leads into another, even though the reasons may seem unreasonable and muddled at the time of their happening.LOL

Nick ..THANKS..:) Just doing what I enjoy doing, doing what comes naturally to me, and just following my creative passion to wherever it leads me to. :)

Ten... THANK YOU VERY MUCH.:) ..I don't know if I live up to what you are saying..I just do my best is all..Everything is relative, in it's own way..:)
THANKS for the kind words, support and feedback guys..very much appreceated..:)
TAKE CARE, AND HAVE A GREAT ONE..:thumbsup:
Glenn

Did a little sculpting on this weasel with bird in mouth this morning..long ways to go with it yet...:)
Using the clay tubes brush to build the legs and feet..just build up form, and then smooth off with the smooth brush.then repeat process until it looks right.
The fur is done using the rake brush...large strokes, big brush, high intensity at first,..then smaller strokes ,with less intensity overlaid ontop of the first blockin strokes.

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/WEASEL_WITH_BIRD_2.jpg

ceruleanvii
07-24-2008, 04:24 PM
It was great to read your story, Glenn! So glad you now have the time to devote to your art, that must be wonderful. I hope when I finally get to retire, I have as much energy!

I'm a Massachusetts native and yearn to return home one day... Curious, did you attend to Mass College of Art?

SpiritDreamer
07-25-2008, 04:44 PM
JULY 25, 2008

HEY ..Dell...THANKS..:) WONDERFUL IS AN UNDERSTATEMENT.. I DO and AM ENJOYING IT..VERY MUCH IN FACT..:)
LOL...ENERGY,..It's all a state of mind..It doesn't take much energy to sit in front of a computer, and play at something that is enjoyable to you...It's not as if i'm getting a hernia from fighting with a two thousand pound safe, trying to get it up a flight of stairs, or loaded office files, which is what I sort of got used to doing on a daily basis over a twenty year period..Now,.... those kinds of things take alot of energy..LOL..So sitting in front of a computer TO ME, is a PIECE OF CAKE.:scream: :)
Your the first person that i've been in contact with in here, who is a native of Massachusetts..I've spent more than half of my life in this state. I'm from California originally, but Massachusetts has always felt more like home to me, and still does..At least here, I can live comfortably without a car...GREAT public transportation system :)
I have better things to do with my hard earned money, than to waste it on gasoline for a car that will end up sitting in traffic jams ninty percent of the time when it is driven ..TOTALLY INSANE WAY TO LIVE AND SPEND MONEY..LOL
I graduated from New England School Of Art And Design.Class of 76. a three year course,and majored in Graphic Design. The school was on Newberry St. right across the street from the Boston Commons..downtown Boston..It is still in that area, but has moved a couple of streets over..it's now across the street from the Park Plaza Hotel....I took a life drawing class there about a year ago..It's still a great school, with some really great teachers..:)
Thanks for the visit Dell,...and if you ever make it back to Massachusetts,..you will have to stop by my house for a real life visit.
I have a great view..My little cottage is right across the street from the beech on SEA St. in Quincy. The whole Boston Harbor and the cityscape of Boston are my view from my front porch...GREAT sunsets, and sunrises over the city and water..can't be beat..:)
THANKS AGAIN Dell
TAKE CARE
Glenn

A little more work done this morning on this weasel with bird in mouth.

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/WEASEL_WITH_BIRD_3.jpg

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/WEASEL_WITH_BIRD_4.jpg

SpiritDreamer
07-26-2008, 04:05 AM
JULY 26, 2008
Worked a little more on this one this evening...put a couple of 3D sphere's / eyes into his skull as subtools.
Glenn

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/WEASEL_WITH_BIRD_5.jpg

NR43
07-26-2008, 05:50 AM
My little cottage is right across the street from the beech on SEA St. in Quincy. The whole Boston Harbor and the cityscape of Boston are my view from my front porch...GREAT sunsets, and sunrises over the city and water..can't be beat..:)

If you ever get bored of Zbrush, painting that view could be a nice project. That way we could also enjoy it, and even seen from your eyes :bounce:

SpiritDreamer
07-26-2008, 04:35 PM
JULY 26, 2008

HEY...Johan...THANKS FOR THE VISIT..:) ..I can't forsee getting bored with Z BRUSH anytime in the near future..LOL...But I.. CAN.. still capture those sunsets and sunrises, while learning Z BRUSH..because it's also a GREAT program to paint with...:)
So, if you think it might help you and others in here, in some small way I will do a series of Boston Habor sunsets, and sunrises..They are always fun to do for me, and are a great way to study colors and lighting, and the moods that they can create.
I've been thinking for awhile now, of buying a laptop computer, and just getting outside to do some painting of the beautiful views around the area where I live,...this LITTLE PUSH THAT YOU JUST GAVE ME, just might get me to do it, instead of just thinking about doing it..LOL
TAKE CARE and HAVE A GREAT ONE..Johan.and also, THANKS FOR THE PUSH..:thumbsup:
Glenn

Created a Boston sunset this morning...view from my front porch.
Created from memory..no photo references used.
BOSTON HARBOR SUNSET #1
Z BRUSH

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/BOSTON_SUNSET.jpg

NR43
07-26-2008, 05:20 PM
Wow that's pretty cool :cool:

I didn't realize you can paint like that in Zbrush but when I think of it, it's kinda logical. If you can paint on a 3D object in Zbrush, you can paint on a plane as well I suppose :)

I hope you won't regret buying a laptop now because then you'll be thinking "damn this NR43, why'd he have to talk me into this" lol

But seriously, I think you should talk to some people who have painted with a laptop already, before actually buying one.

There are some issues I can think of when trying to paint outside with a laptop:

it's hard to see anything on a laptop screen when you're outside on a very bright day.
how long is a laptop capable of working when on battery power?
how big is the screen?

things like that should have an impact on your decision...

Have a nice day too Glenn

Frejasphere
07-27-2008, 07:08 AM
Hi Glenn :)

Popped back to say hello and to see the multitude of updates since
last time :wavey:
Your Boston sunset has a nice quality about it, would be great to see you continue
with the theme, sunsets - sunrises :) Can imagine the view from your porch would change
enough to keep you going for quite some time :) Not that you are looking for inspiration :D, just thinking that with the cityscape, harbour and water - each time of day would have a completely different look...

cheers and take care
a. :)

AUMAKUA
07-27-2008, 10:32 AM
hello Glenn ! very moody work on the cityscape :) you really give new ways of creative usage to this medium my friend :)

SpiritDreamer
07-27-2008, 11:44 AM
JULY 27, 2008

HEY ...Johan.THANKS:) ..I have seen a few people in this forum using the laptops for painting..two I think for their life drawing classes, and one other person awhile back,..can't remember who, used theirs for working outdoors..In any case, I work really fast when capturing a seascape sunset/sunrise..especally when the terrain is familar, as it will be in this case..Just a few broad strokes to get the color, lighting and mood in place on the canvas..so batteries shouldn't be a problem..hopefully.
The glare on the screen...maybe a special case for the laptop, ..with a top and sides sun visor..should do the trick I think.
The size of the screen being small..no problem..I always work small to capture the first impression of color, light ect...working small lets me get the total composition in place to start with, ..without getting lost in the later to come details..so the size of the screen shouldn't be a problem...I can then take the composition,color and lighting studies back into my regular computer in the house, and refine them into finished paintings..Just thinking out loud here at the moment...In any case, I would never blame you in any way, if this experiment with a laptop didn't work out..like I said earlier, it's been on my mind for awhile now...:)

Annette...THANKS for the input.:) ..Yap, that scape changes about every minute, and stays true to what is said about the weather in Massachusetts..If you don't like it now, wait a minute, and it will ether get better or worse for you...:) I've seen days around here, where it seemed like all four seasons happened in one day.. LOL

HEY..Nick.THANKS..Not having any preconceived notions about what is and is not correct..HELPS..LOL:)

THANKS FOR THE INPUT AND FEEDBACK GUYS...REALLY APPRECEATED AND HELPFUL..:thumbsup:
TAKE CARE, AND HAVE A GREAT ONE..:)
Glenn

Started a new one this morning..This time I started it in Painter #9,..the first post,... and then put it into Z BRUSH for the
blue turquise tints in the middleground and forground...uniting the sky and water with that blue turquise color.
Will stay in Z BRUSH and do some experimenting with it now, just to see what can happen in Z BRUSH, and also, just to allow myself to explore the Z BRUSH program further.
From imagination, no refferences being used..Just easier to experiment and explore that way.

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/BOSTON_HARBOR_SUNSET_2.jpg

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/BOSTON_HARBOR_SUNSET_3.jpg

SpiritDreamer
07-28-2008, 12:26 PM
JULY 28, 2008
A little more work done on this one this morning.
Boston Harbor
Z BRUSH
Glenn

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/BOSTON_HARBOR_SUNSET_7.jpg

SpiritDreamer
07-28-2008, 02:05 PM
JULY 28, 2008
Started working on the forground and lighting.
Z BRUSH
Glenn

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/BOSTON_HARBOR_SUNSET_10.jpg

Lexalotacus
07-28-2008, 03:27 PM
Awesome work! If I were half this skilled I would offer some critique, but until then... Keep it up!!

SpiritDreamer
07-28-2008, 07:15 PM
JULY 28, 2008

Lexalotacus...THANK YOU..:)

More work done on this one this afternoon.
Boston Harbor
Z BRUSH
Glenn

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/BOSTON_HARBOR_SUNSET_14.jpg

anandpg
07-29-2008, 03:17 AM
WOW! Great to see your painting again!:cool: I am loving this one!http://anandpgindia.com/images/emoticons/love0010.gif http://www.mysmiley.net/freesmiley.php?smiley=love/love0010.gif

AUMAKUA
07-29-2008, 06:51 AM
I really like this different, surreal style to paint the sky and sea, really inspiring!
Can't imagine what you would create if ZBrush had animation capabilities!

SpiritDreamer
07-29-2008, 01:00 PM
JULY 29, 2008

THANKS Anand..:) ..A little change of pace and subject matter is refreshing ...and at the same time,i'm still learning alot about how to paint using Z BRUSH while doing these little Z BRUSH seascape experimentsts, which is the goal that i've set for myself.
I went out yesterday, and bought myself a new book called...LEGACY...Selected Paintings and Drawings by FRANK FRAZETTA...:bounce:..I can feel a new inspiration happening already.:) ..Maybe a beast of some sort and heroic figure doing battle,in a sea cave, with crashing waves colliding with and all around the figures...simaler to that sea lion painting that I just did in your workshop...Will use Z BRUSH to paint and create it of course..Just thinking ahead and outloud here :)

THANKS Nick..:) ..Maybe the next Z BRUSH version will have animation capabilities..But then it will take me another ten years to learn them probably..LOL.:)

THANKS FOR THE FEEDBACK GUYS.REALLY APPRECEATED..:thumbsup: :)
TAKE CARE, and HAVE A GREAT ONE.:thumbsup:
Glenn

Did some more work on this one this morning.
Boston Harbor
Z BRUSH

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/BOSTON_HARBOR_SUNSET_18.jpg

SpiritDreamer
07-29-2008, 05:39 PM
JULY 29, 2008
Worked a little more on this one this afternoon.
Boston Habor...From imagination and memory, no photo reference used.
Z BRUSH
Glenn

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/BOSTON_HARBOR_SUNSET_22.jpg

alenah
07-29-2008, 10:10 PM
hey Glenn, hi .. just dropped in to see what you are "cooking" again :)
wow - keeping my eye on your furter progress :)
a.

SpiritDreamer
07-30-2008, 12:16 PM
JULY 30, 2008

HEY ...Alena..THANKS :) , and also, THANKS for the visit..Always welcomed and appreceated :)
TAKE CARE
Glenn

During the winter months in Boston, the rocks along the shoreline get covered in ice from the tide coming in and then going out, building up layers of ice on the rocks, that then melts from the sunshine in thinner areas of the ice, exposing parts of the rocks.
I have even seen seals perched on them, soaking up the sunshine as it goes down..really a magical time of the year, and in this harbor ..for me anyway..:)
A little more work done on this one this morning.
Boston Harbor
Z BRUSH

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/BOSTON_HARBOR_SUNSET_26.jpg

NR43
07-30-2008, 03:04 PM
All we have at our beaches is seagulls heh
Coming along nicely Glenn, looking forward to your next steps!

SpiritDreamer
07-30-2008, 05:41 PM
JULY 30, 2008

THANKS ..Johan...:) ..Just seagulls...maybe you just haven't looked hard and long enough..:) ..From my cottage, looking out across Boston Harbor , I have seen eagles, falcons,ospray carrying sea bass held beneath them in their talons,hawks,vultures,king fishers, seals, dolphins, whales, and right in the dead of winter a couple of years ago, I spotted a cyote with my banoculars..it was just walking along and stopping to smell every once in awhile, where some Canadian geese had been sitting on the ice, way out across the harbor which was frozen solid at the time..Looked great, because it walked right in front of the city skyline off in the distance, just as the sun was going down behind it and the city, so it was in silhouette. I'm going to have to paint that image, now that I remembered it again.LOL.:)
Anyway,..THANKS FOR THE VISIT Johan, ..Always welcomed and appreceated..:thumbsup: :)
TAKE CARE
Glenn

Worked on this one a little more this afternoon.
Boston Harbor
Z BRUSH

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/BOSTON_HARBOR_SUNSET_29.jpg

SpiritDreamer
07-31-2008, 03:20 AM
JULY 30, 2008

I put this 1 layer Z BRUSH painting into the Corel Painter #9 program, and used the APPLY LIGHTING section of that program to get the more dramatic and desired lighting and color of the lighting that I am fond of.
Using the spotlights that were created to light painting scenes, which are found in the APPLY LIGHTING section of the Corel Painter #9 program....Alot of work left to do,..smoothing edges,blending, and painting and repainting ect...just easier to do those things, once the lighting is in place...can bring various elements in the painting out of the darkness now and also put other various elements of the painting into the darkness at this stage of the painting...while creating more depth in doing so...:)
Glenn

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/BOSTON_HARBOR_SUNSET_31.jpg

AUMAKUA
07-31-2008, 06:54 AM
I can see a surreal ice-scape coming to surface :) it's coming along really good Glenn!
The frozen volumes will be a real challenge to render them..

NR43
07-31-2008, 08:42 AM
Thanks for the help Glenn!
I'll certainly try it this evening (at work now)

SpiritDreamer
07-31-2008, 12:20 PM
JULY 31, 2008

Johan..No problem...:) Those lights take a little bit of time to get used to, but if you master them, I don't think you will ever regret it..:)

HEY ..Nick...THANKS..:) Rendering ice..Will be a new adventure for sure..but exploring and discovering the new ,.. that's what makes and keeps the journy fun and interesting..for me anyway :)
TAKE CARE, and THANKS FOR THE FEEDBACK GUYS..Always welcomed and appreceated..:)
TAKE CARE
Glenn

Worked on the water a little this morning ...used LIQUID METAL in the Painter #9 program,..set the slider to make the metal look transparent..lets the underlying colors show through, and creates the sparkle created by the sunlight on the wave action across the waters surface.

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/BOSTON_HARBOR_SUNSET_34.jpg

SpiritDreamer
08-01-2008, 03:11 AM
JULY 31, 2008
A little more work done on this one this evening.
Glenn

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/BOSTON_HARBOR_SUNSET_37.jpg

AUMAKUA
08-01-2008, 06:08 AM
Wow! I can feel the ice melt and it's cold steam coming up! awesome mood :)
I would love to see a version with colder colors as well :)
Really, you could possibly print your Z-Art and make the first art gallery ever done with printed ZBrush works ;) (unless you've already done this and I have not idea about!)

SpiritDreamer
08-01-2008, 12:32 PM
AUGUST 01, 2008

COOLER COLORS..YOUR WISH IS MY COMAND..Nick..LOL..:scream: :)
THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR THE KIND WORDS AND SUGGESTIONS ..Nick.:) :thumbsup:
ALWAYS VERY HELPFUL, AND ALSO VERY MUCH APPRECEATED..THANKS..:)

I have been selling my works as posters, prints ect. to the general public for alot of years now.
I find that what sells the most, and what the general public preferes to shell out their hard earned money for, is BEAUTY, not HORROR..At least that is true in the areas where I sell my works..:)
So if I want to make any money with my paintings,then that is what I try to paint.:)
TAKE CARE, AND HAVE A GREAT ONE Nick..and thanks again for your support, and encourement..:thumbsup: :)
Glenn

Z BRUSH/PAINTER #9
BOSTON HARBOR..WINTER

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/BOSTON_HARBOR_SUNSET_39.jpg

AUMAKUA
08-01-2008, 12:38 PM
FANTASTIC, Glenn ! Thank you so much my friend for this one :) will be my favourite icescape :) Take care too and keep the dazzling work coming ;)

SpiritDreamer
08-02-2008, 02:01 PM
AUGUST 02, 2008

HEY ..Nick..THANKS..I'm glad that you like it..:) I learned alot from it, and I also hope that seeing the process used to create it might be useful in helping others in here in some way.
TAKE CARE
Glenn

Now, starting today, i'm off on a new adventure..:)
Going to try my hand at creating a FRAZETTA/BORIS type action scene in 3D..Will be my own creation though..not an imatation/copy of one of their works....Will just be in the same style that they helped evolve,and which evolved from alot of people that came before them.:)

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/FREZETTA_TYPE_ACTION_FIGURE.jpg

ceruleanvii
08-03-2008, 01:02 AM
Hi Glenn, I love those Boston Harbor skylines! We just came back from a week and a half long visit to New England - New Hampshire, Boston, and Cape Cod. We are even more determined now to find a way to move ourselves back to Massachusetts. I saw your previous note that you live on the beach in Quincy, that must be wonderful. When we get ourselves back I will be sure to pay a visit :)

Love what you are doing with Z-brush, I haven't seen anyone use it in that way before and it is quite novel and interesting.

SpiritDreamer
08-03-2008, 03:28 PM
AUGUST 03, 2008

THANK YOU ..Dell...:) Looking forward to that vist when you guys make the move..The Boston harbor has gone from being the worst in the country to being the best as far as pollution goes, which is really a great thing to see, and experience..It took a few years, and alot of hard work..new sewer plant ect., but the results have deffenitly been worth the effort...alot of the wildlife has come back to the area, a sure sign that it's on the right path..finally..:)
Glad you like my Z BRUSH efforts...I still have a long ways to go in that area, but i'm giving it my best shot, and am learning more each day about it,..which is what it's all about,..that and trying to stay original while I learn it..which is also what it's all about..to me anyway..:)
TAKE CARE, and THANKS for the support and feedback Dell...Really appreceated and helpful..:) :thumbsup:

Some more work done on this pose this morning.

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/FRAZETTA_TYPE_ACTION_FIGURE_2.jpg

JohanGold
08-03-2008, 08:49 PM
Hi Glenn

wow it was long time for me .. not visiting your sketchbook

because i was very busy .. lol also my sketchbook autoclosed .. haha .. so i opend i new one you can take look :buttrock:

i like your work in z brush

best regards to you Glenn

My Sketchbook (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=200&t=660093)

SpiritDreamer
08-04-2008, 02:45 PM
AUGUST 04, 2008

MI X3XIM...THANKS..:)

A little further along with this pose this morning..Beefed the model up proportionally, using the deformation settings in Z BRUSH.
Having trouble at the joint areas as usual, but I guess those areas can be smoothed out, and built up with the clay tubes brush before I start sculpting.
Glenn

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/FRAZETTA_TYPE_ACTION_FIGURE_3.jpg

Intervain
08-04-2008, 07:06 PM
he's a balloon ;) - great to see you going for a human figure! Looking forward to seeing how this one develops :thumbsup: Keep inspiring Glenn :arteest:

SpiritDreamer
08-05-2008, 03:59 AM
AUGUST 04, 2008

Magdalena..LOL...I figured he had better have some meat on his bones, so he will be able to put up a decent fight with that big male lion that's leaping onto him,..and if he loses the battle, well then at least the lion will have a decent meal...LOL.:D
THANKS for the visit Magdalena and kind words.:) ..ALWAYS a pleasure hearing from you :)
TAKE CARE
Glenn

Took a little break from the figure tonight posted on the previous page, and put some 3D teeth as a subtool into the mouth of this old guy that was laying around collecting dust..Makes him look ten years younger I think..:)
I got the teeth from a link that Ryan Kingslien..in house artist at Gnomon posted in his new thread here on the forum...Sculpting Facial Anatomy in Z BRUSH..Should be a great thread, full of great tutorials,..I know the first one is.:)
The teeth were created by ..Alex Alvarez, and are free.
I only used the upper teeth on this guy, but the set in the link that he posted, comes with upper and lower teeth, and upper and lower gums also.

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/HEAD_WITH_TEETH.jpg

SpiritDreamer
08-05-2008, 03:41 PM
AUGUST 05, 2008
CAPTURING THE THOUGHT AND VISION
A quick preliminary rough for the 3D figure that I just started on the previous page.
Glenn

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/FRAZETTA_TYPE_MAN_LION_SKETCH.jpg

SpiritDreamer
08-06-2008, 03:50 AM
AUGUST 05, 2008

When I paint, I compose these wonderful shapes that are almost abstract. I'm more concerned with achieving a balance and rhythm than I am with subject matter. Once I've acheived that balance, I start in on the details.
The rhythm and balance of the shapes make the subject matter acceptable.
My paintings can have a lot of action but they aren't especially violent. There's the suggestion of mayham without being explicit.
Violence can be handled completely wrong if your not careful and I'm always aware that I'm on a tightrope.
If I wanted to I could paint something so brutal and violent that it would make you sick -- I don't need that.
"BALANCE MAKES FOR BEAUTY AND THAT'S WHAT I AIM FOR"
FRANK FRAZETTA

Taking the preliminary rough a little further.
Glenn

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/FRAZETTA_TYPE_MAN_LION_SKETCH_2.jpg

NR43
08-06-2008, 05:56 AM
Yes I think there is a lot of unneeded violence to be seen in artwork, particularly game and film art, today. I'm wondering where this will end when our children are already used to seeing this... Sometimes when I see some teenagers "hangin out" I wonder if they realize how beautiful that tree is under wich they are standing or if they also love the texture of the brick wall they are trying to push aside with their elbows when smoking... Ah wth, I shouldn't be nagging about this since I wasn't any better at their age, but still... now that I dó know how much beauty can be found around is in our everyday lives, it's kinda sad...

I think this is what Glenn Vilppu, Burne Hogarth, and all these other great masters are also trying to say... that it is all about the energy that flows from the poses and the action within the bodies of the subjects, rather than what is about to happen or has just happened in a painting/drawing.

AUMAKUA
08-06-2008, 10:26 AM
Great inspiration Glenn! this lion looks like he could be made of molten flaming lava, coming furious out of Earth's deep (ideal pet for Hellboy!).. You see, I keep dreaming of seeing your work animated :)

JohanGold
08-06-2008, 01:27 PM
i liked the concept

keep it up ...

will wait :)

SpiritDreamer
08-06-2008, 05:01 PM
AUGUST 06, 2008

THANKS for the visit ..Johan..:) I was interested in the way Frazetta composes and creates from an almost abstraction of form and shape, getting the flow, , energy, rhythm, and balance in place right from the start, which really shows in his preliminary roughs. Great way of capturing the thought and inner vision.
About the violence...It's like the difference between GREEK TRAGEDY, AND ROMAN TRAGEDY. Greek tragedy/violence is implied,leaving the violence to the imagination of the veiwer, while on the other hand, Roman tragedy/violence is explicit, and leaves nothing to be imagined, and basically leads to bloodlust and the COLISEUM.
So as far as to where the explicit violence leads to in this so called modern age, all you have to do is study the history of the ancient ROMANS, and you will find the answer to that question, and also will find out that it is the main factor that led to their DOWNFALL and LOSS OF POWER..:)

Nick..THANK YOU..:) Animated...:) That's a nice thought, but it would have to be done by someone other than me for sure...that's way way way out of my league..:eek:

MIX3XIM...THANK YOU..Glad you are enjoying it..:)

THANKS for the feedback guys..always helpful and appreceated..:thumbsup:
TAKE CARE
Glenn

Worked a little on the face of the lion, and the lighting..got the basic feeling that i'm going for in this preliminary rough,..Now off to the sculpting and refinement of that guy..I'm going to try my hand at a 3d lion also..don't know how it will come out, but i'm going to give it a try anyway.:)

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/FRAZETTA_TYPE_MAN_LION_SKETCH_4.jpg

SpiritDreamer
08-07-2008, 03:42 AM
AUGUST 06, 2008
Worked on the blockin of the muscles this evening..just working from imagination at this point..great way to test myself, and find my weak points of anatomy knowlage..I will consult my Burne Hogarth books when i'm done blocking in the muscles, to make sure everything checks out, before I smooth them out and do refinements.
Used the clay tubes brush in Z BRUSH, kept at one size, intensity ect. to do the blockin of the muscles..just workes quicker that way, and keeps me from getting caught up with details in the rough blockin phase of sculpting..really quick strokes to keep the energy in the figure alive..maybe 20 minutes in all on the blockin phase so far.
Glenn

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/FRAZETTA_TYPE_ACTION_FIGURE_4.jpg

JohanGold
08-07-2008, 05:37 AM
HI Glenn

really creative way to improve your skills

i see now nice blockin of muscles

keep it up .. looking forward

bytheway "thanks" ;)

sycen
08-07-2008, 03:59 PM
Wow! Great concept.
Looking forward to see more. :D

SpiritDreamer
08-08-2008, 04:01 AM
AUGUST 07, 2008

THANKS...Majid..:) ...I think you will really like that Drawing Dynamic Hands book by Burne Hogarth...invaluble resorce to have on hand in your personal library.

Thanks...Sycen..:)
TAKE CARE
Glenn

Put a couple of 3D spheres/eyes into this old guy.

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/HEAD_WITH_TEETH_1.jpg

wickedsamara
08-08-2008, 12:21 PM
Is this a frozen old man???
Anyways nice way to explore Z-brush!

JohanGold
08-08-2008, 02:56 PM
Hi Glenn ...

good work at the head .. and the eyes looks much better ..

cheers

SpiritDreamer
08-08-2008, 03:36 PM
AUGUST 08, 2008

Preethi...THANKS..:) That old guy is just mainly an experiment to try out different things that i'm learning about in Z BRUSH as I go along,..like those teeth and eyes that I just put into him, which I am going to put into the new figure that i'm working on..I'm not aiming for finished pieces here in my sketchbook...just using it the same way as I would a traditional sketchbook...capturing and expanding on ideas basically, and honing my skills in whatever medium i'm exploring at the time...which just happens to be Z BRUSH lately.
I like the frozen idea though..maybe like MERLIN in his cave..:)
And those eyes..remind me of the old blind priest in KUNG FU..LOL.
Just capturing thoughts and ideas that may be useful later in this sketchbook.

Majid ..THANKS..:) This is only like the third time that i've tried doing 3D eyes using the spheres..still alot of learning about how to make them look real, but it's a start anyway..I do like them better than the sculpted eyes though, and alot more can be done with them, once I figure out how to go about doing it that is..:)

THANKS for the feedback guys,..ALWAYS helpful and very much appreceated...:thumbsup:
TAKE CARE
Glenn

Started blocking in the face on this guy this morning...using the clay tubes brush in Z BRUSH.

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/FRAZETTA_TYPE_ACTION_FIGURE_6.jpg

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/FRAZETTA_TYPE_ACTION_FIGURE_5.jpg

SpiritDreamer
08-09-2008, 12:04 PM
AUGUST 09, 2008
I worked more on this guy this morning...Added as subtools, 3D spheres/eyes, and 3D teeth...also worked on his ears.
He's still in the rough blockin stage of sculpting at this point...sub devision level 4.
Glenn

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/FRAZETTA_TYPE_ACTION_FIGURE_7.jpg

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/FRAZETTA_TYPE_ACTION_FIGURE_8.jpg

JohanGold
08-09-2008, 08:39 PM
Hi Glenn

how are you ?
this time i bring for u 2 pictures i hope it's helps.. :deal:

study it .. u will do fine very fast i'm sure about it

best regards .. looking forward to see more ;)

http://chestofbooks.com/health/body/massage/Margaret-D-Palmer/Lessons-on-Massage/images/fig-92-Muscles-of-the-Head.png

http://www.face-and-emotion.com/dataface/anatomy/media/HandAtlas_head3-4view.jpg

alenah
08-10-2008, 05:41 AM
hey glenn!
I just couldnt help myself to tell you - I really love the way you capture your thoughts - in 2.5d !!
the "ZB environment" is apparently very natural to you ... that 2.5D initial sketch of the lion sceene is really cool!

about your last composition - it seems to me there still is a few anatomy/pose issues with that guy, but - as this is still quite an early stage - I am sure youŽll work all those details out before its finished ..
take care, a.

SpiritDreamer
08-10-2008, 07:44 AM
AUGUST 10. 2008

Majid..THANKS...FACES...I've been around that block a few million times,..and am STILL finding out new things about it, every time I go around it..:)

Alena...THANK YOU..:) I am really surprized that I don't see more people in here, especially the 3D people, doing 2 and half D paintings using Z BRUSH..It's not that painting comes naturally to me, ..It took me my whole life time to learn how to paint, and i'm still in the learning process...It's just that Z BRUSH is also a fantastic program, not only for doing 3D, but for painting,drawing, and illustration, if you know how to do those things to begin with that is..:)
THANKS for the feedback guys, always helpful, and very much appreceated..:thumbsup:
This guy is still in a wip form...i'm doing as much from imagination as possible to start with, and when i've gone as far as I can without reference, then I will use reference if it's needed, to correct whatever errors there may be....That's just the way that I learn the most from.:)
TAKE CARE
Glenn

Worked on this guys face some more.

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/FRAZETTA_TYPE_ACTION_FIGURE_10.jpg

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/FRAZETTA_TYPE_ACTION_FIGURE_9.jpg

alenah
08-10-2008, 07:58 AM
yes, I can also feel that the 2,5d painting/scultpting is a really strong part of ZB as well (though I stil have - actually - no experience myself);
I very much like the "2d" approach to ZB - I mean - ZB being the whole studio for an artist - not only for modelling/scullpting, but also - wow! - for sketching, painting, and then - polypainting again .. I am so excited about this amazing program :) I am only sorry the day is only 24 hours :(
looking forward for another new inspiration from you, Glenn :)
take care ..
a.

AUMAKUA
08-10-2008, 11:23 AM
He's coming along really great Glenn! I'm really eager to see the evolution of the hero, with his subtle muscle details and such :) I hope I'll be able to check from time to time, since I'll be away from home for summer vacation for a week hehe

SpiritDreamer
08-11-2008, 04:02 AM
AUGUST 10, 2008

Alena...THANKS..:) I think that with the Z BRUSH program basically still in it's infacy, the door is wide open for those brave enough to break the rules and barriers established by those who always impose them...:)
When I saw the Z BRUSH demo at the Siggraph convention here in Boston a couple of years back, the guy who was demonstrating the program put that notion forward, saying how it would be used and explored in a vast varities of ways according to the indavigual needs and desires of the person exploring it..That is the thing that stuck in my mind the most about the whole demontration that he did...just made it clear to me how endless the possibilities are with this program...A new frontier, where one can make/create his or her own new and unque path...If one has the notion and courage to do so, that is...:)

HEY Nick..THANKS..:) and HAVE A GREAT HOLIDAY..:thumbsup: Some place cool I hope, after all that heat you've been having over your way..:)

THANKS for the feedback guys...ALWAYS helpful and very much appreceated.:thumbsup:
TAKE CARE
Glenn

Worked more on the front and sides of the torso, and also on the arms, shoulders, and hips.

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/FRAZETTA_TYPE_ACTION_FIGURE_11.jpg

SpiritDreamer
08-11-2008, 12:57 PM
AUGUST 11, 2008

Started working on this guys facial expression this morning.
Got out the old mirror and am using myself as the model for this guy.
Not going for my own likeness, but using my own image just as a means to get the emotion and muscles accurate and more realistic, rather than stylized which happens when working from imagination.
Glenn

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/FRAZETTA_TYPE_ACTION_FIGURE_12.jpg

SpiritDreamer
08-11-2008, 10:29 PM
AUGUST 11, 2008
Worked on this guys back muscles this afternoon.
Glenn

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/FRAZETTA_TYPE_ACTION_FIGURE_13.jpg

monicaitt
08-12-2008, 04:24 AM
hey glenn!! I really like your recent model. It looks like you've been studying a lot. Keep it up

namnocilis
08-12-2008, 06:33 AM
Hi Glenn! love that sunset painting (orangish) nice feel to it and also that lion jumping is an awesome pose.. you know, i mainly visit your thread for those words of wisdom which inspires me sooo much, i am a big fan of yours for the same reason.. :love: (btw, i finished reading the entire thread..:wise: it was a wonderful journey, thanks for sharing your thoughts)

SpiritDreamer
08-12-2008, 06:24 PM
AUGUST 12, 2008

THANK YOU ..Monica..:)

Nitin...THANK YOU..:) You actually made it through my whole sketchbook..WOW..That's something I haven't even been able to do, and keep putting off, even more so as the pages keep multiplying.
I guess i'm just too busy living in the moment to look back..I hope I didn't repeat myself too many times in there..LOL.
I mostly just right down what comes to mind as i'm posting, in hopes that it might be helpful or useful to whoever chances upon it, now, or at a later date when i'm no longer around..just my way of sharing in this community of artist.
I'm really glad that you found the journy enjoyable...makes me think that maybe it was and is actually worth all the effort afterall.
THANKS for letting me know Nitin...MADE MY DAY..BETTER..:)
TAKE CARE, and THANKS for the feedback guys..ALWAYS helpful and very much appreceated..:thumbsup:
Glenn

I put this figure that i've been working on back into the composition to get a better feeling of how it's going to look...changed his pose in relationship to the lion a little..Funny that when a figure is shifted just slightly sometimes, it can change the meaning of the entire image, from a defiant bring it on posture, to an OH NO, i'm about to be eaten posture on the part of the guy in this case...:)

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/FRAZETTA_TYPE_MAN_LION_SKETCH_6.jpg

aggie93
08-12-2008, 06:52 PM
Hey Spirit, long time. These are so weird so real modeling. In Z-Brush, do you just paint like in normal 2D or is it as difficult as other 3D modeling software?

SpiritDreamer
08-13-2008, 11:41 AM
AUGUST 13, 2008

HEY ..Aggie...:wavey: THANKS..WEIRD REALISM..:D In answer to your question about painting in Z BRUSH...You can paint like regular 2D, building up tints of color to create depth, or paint with built up brushstrokes in an impasto fashion, or even make a line drawing and then fill it in..coloring book style.
You can also sculpt with the paint, which is the method that I prefer and am doing at the moment...Plus you can combine 3D sculpture with 2.5D painting..The posibilities and combinations are endless.
As far as Z BRUSH being as hard to handle and understand as the other 3D programs..I don't know,..I've never used anything other than Z BRUSH and the Corel Painter programs, so I really can't compare which programs are harder to use.
SCULPTING WITH PAINT...PAINTING WITH SCULPTURE=WEIRD REALISM..LOL..:D

TAKE CARE..Aggie,..and have a GREAT ONE :thumbsup:
Glenn

MORNING DOODLE....From imagination, no references used.
Z BRUSH

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/DANCER_6.jpg

alicelefay
08-14-2008, 12:20 AM
As time pass and i see your works, as I become more curious to try that Zbrush :rolleyes:

I'm a real pain with 3d...but if you say it's similar to painting...it's worth a try :D

Always great stuff, i love the last one...love its "windy" attitude, the shiny finish, and the fact that in some way it remembers me of Rodin :O

:applause:

Micah-H
08-14-2008, 01:39 AM
Wow amazing thread Glenn, thank you for sharing your work with us!

anandpg
08-14-2008, 10:22 AM
Hey Glenn!! Great progress on that Man and Lion picture!:thumbsup: Would be nice to see a scream on the guy's face!:)

namnocilis
08-14-2008, 11:52 AM
ya, nice progress on the Lion painting.. also love to see the progress on the morning doodle..

SpiritDreamer
08-14-2008, 01:18 PM
AUGUST 14, 2008

THANKS ALICE...Rodin...one of my all time favorites..:)
I think that those fairies that your designing, would look FANTASTIC as Z BRUSH sculptures/paintings..I really hope that you decide to give it a try...I just made this little 2.5 D SCULPTURE PAINTING below to give you an idea of how easy it is with Z BRUSH...Took maybe 20 minutes..I only used the STANARD brush to create the form, and the SMEAR brush to give the form shape and flow...not very complicated at all...After seeing your ink drawings, I think you could do the same thing in Z BRUSH, to create your fairies, with no problem at all...:)

Micah...THANK YOU...:)

Anand...THANKS...I am undecided yet on that one...A...HEY '' NO PROBLEM, BRING IT ON expression by the guy, or a.. OH NO, I'M GOING TO DIE expression by the guy..Ill let it rest and sleep/dream on it for a couple of days, and then go back into it, to get the hand gestures, and face expression right, for whichever way I decide it is going to go...HOPEFULLY..:D

THANKS ..Nitin..:) I am just doodleling around at the moment, and having some fun painting with Z BRUSH..Not really looking for a finished piece with these doodles..just quick gestures type of thing.
They can be refined further, but sometimes that spoils the spontinaity factor.. and I hate getting caught up in details when i'm just trying to have some fun...spoils the whole effect of having fun for me..:D

THANKS for the feedback guys...ALWAYS helpful and very much appreceated..:thumbsup:
Glenn

MORNING DOODLE...From imagination, no references used
Z BRUSH

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/BRONZE_FIGURE_4.jpg

namnocilis
08-14-2008, 03:35 PM
Thats true..:) i feel the same when i do speed sculpts and somebody says to refine it further, i won't be in the same mood when i get back to it and spoils all the fun that i had when i sculpted it.. i agree, sometime we just need to keep moving forward.. over the time we sample out so much information from all those fun work..

btw, nice morning doodle again.. nice gesture, i liked the way you put those subtle details on the rock, just enough details to get that feel

SpiritDreamer
08-15-2008, 12:42 PM
AUGUST 15, 2008

THANKS .Nitin..:) LESS = MORE...SOMETIMES...:D
As long as learning is taking place,...IT'S ALL GOOD..:)
TAKE CARE, and THANKS for the feedback Nitin...ALWAYS helpful, and very much appreceated..:thumbsup:
Glenn

MORNING DOODLE...From imagination, no references used.
Z BRUSH.

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/ANGRY_EXPRESSION_2.jpg

SpiritDreamer
08-16-2008, 01:41 PM
AUGUST 16, 2008
Refined this dooldle some this morning.
From imagination, no references used.
Z BRUSH
Glenn

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/ANGRY_EXPRESSION_4.jpg

SpiritDreamer
08-17-2008, 04:45 AM
AUGUST 17, 2008
A little more refinement on this doodle study of expression and emotion.
Z BRUSH
Glenn

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/ANGRY_EXPRESSION_7.jpg

SpiritDreamer
08-17-2008, 03:02 PM
AUGUST 17, 2008
A little more work done this morning on this what is turning out to be a study of human emotion and expression...it's gone beyond the doodle stage at this point I guess...funny how those little quick doodles from imagination can sometimes evolve, and take on a life of their own..:)
Z BRUSH
Glenn

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/ANGRY_EXPRESSION_10.jpg

SpiritDreamer
08-18-2008, 02:38 AM
AUGUST 17, 2008
A little more work done on this one this evening.
Z BRUSH
Glenn

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/ANGRY_EXPRESSION_12.jpg

ceruleanvii
08-18-2008, 12:29 PM
cool new work, Glenn, every time I pop by your thread I am always amazed at how dedicated you are. Love the new Z-brush figures - that lion one will make a great painting!

SpiritDreamer
08-18-2008, 03:35 PM
AUGUST 18, 2008

THANKS Del...:) I'm not really dedicated to anything other than my better half, MRS. SPIRIT DREAMER actually.:D .My art...just done purely for the pleasure it gives me by doing it, and the excitement of learning and discovering new things while i'm doing it..:)
THANKS for the visit, and feedback Del...ALWAYS welcomed, very much apreceated, and helpful..:thumbsup:
TAKE CARE
Glenn

Back to this Frazetta/Boris type ACTION/DRAMA.
...WOMAN..:)

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/FRAZETTA_MAN_WITH_WOMAN.jpg

anandpg
08-19-2008, 01:19 AM
Hey Glenn! Oooh!! One more figure in the scene! Eager to see where it is going!:cool: I think right now, she is a bit small compared to the man, and her pose is seems a bit relaxed.
Great going, Glenn!:thumbsup:

SpiritDreamer
08-19-2008, 05:18 AM
AUGUST 19, 2008

HEY ..Anand THANKS,..and THANKS also for the feedback about her size..and relaxed pose...By the time I got done this morning with the transpose and masking of her, my eyes and judgement were totally shot..lol :eek: So those keen eyes and judgement of yours are much appreceated.THANK YOU.Anand.:)
TAKE CARE
Glenn

I made her lager in scale, and also beefed her up a tad using the deformation..INFLATE setting..and then tilted her head back so she would be looking up at the lion.
Stuck them in the scene just to give me an idea of what the composition and action will look like..overlapped his hand and the lions arm to connect the elements and composition...A long ways to go yet, but i'm learning from this one, which is the most important thing to me..:)

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/FRAZETTA_TYPE_MAN_LION_SKETCH_72.jpg

namnocilis
08-19-2008, 09:38 AM
the situation is now more scarier than before, now there is a girl to protect:scream: its like he is coming in front of the lion to protect her with his life.. emotional and powerful! i donno how exactly to describe the situation, all i can say is nice composition.. waiting to see the evolution of this painting from here..

SpiritDreamer
08-19-2008, 09:29 PM
AUGUST 19, 2008

THANKS ..Nitin...Just a standard type Frazetta/Boris theme..MAN SAVES WOMAM FROM BEAST..LOL:scream:
TAKE CARE
Glenn

Started blocking in the muscles of the female figure, using the clay tubes brush in Z BRUSH.

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/FRAZETTA_MAN_WITH_WOMAN_1.jpg

SpiritDreamer
08-20-2008, 12:12 PM
AUGUST 20, 2008
Sculpted some more on this woman this morning.
Both figures, from imagination, no references used.
Z BRUSH
Glenn

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/FRAZETTA_MAN_WITH_WOMAN_2.jpg

Jho
08-20-2008, 01:16 PM
Whoa!
In the mornings only things I'm able to do are whining and browsing the Internet :D
Awesome work (as always).

DaddyMack
08-20-2008, 08:06 PM
SpiritDreamer.. Love the posture on the fem she seems caught between assured and concerned somewhere. Gotta love the morning flows;) I usually hit the pc @ 5 or so here b4 work too... Looking forward to seeing where you take this. BTW dig all the 2.5d work in here too:applause:

SpiritDreamer
08-21-2008, 11:52 AM
AUGUST 21, 2008

HEY ..Jho ...THANKS..:) ...Glad to hear all is going well with you..:thumbsup:

THANKS ..ROB...:) Morning is the best time I think...It's when the battery is recharged and full of energy...at least in my case anyway..:D

THANKS for the visit guys...always appreceated and welcomed..:)
TAKE CARE
Glenn

Started blocking in the womans face, neck and hair this morning.
Z BRUSH...Clay tubes brush for the blockin.

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/FRAZETTA_MAN_WITH_WOMAN_3.jpg

SpiritDreamer
08-22-2008, 02:49 PM
AUGUST 22, 2008
More work done on the woman this morning.
Z BRUSH
Glenn

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/FRAZETTA_MAN_WITH_WOMAN_5.jpg

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/FRAZETTA_MAN_WITH_WOMAN_4.jpg

SpiritDreamer
08-23-2008, 04:17 AM
AUGUST 23, 2008
Put as subtools,..Two 3D eyes/polymesh sphere's, and 3D teeth into the woman's skull/face.
Both figures from imagination, no references used.
Z BRUSH
Glenn

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/FRAZETTA_MAN_WITH_WOMAN_52.jpg

SpiritDreamer
08-24-2008, 03:41 AM
AUGUST 23, 2008
Started the lion for this Frazetta/Boris type action/drama composition that I started on a couple of pages back.
Z BRUSH
Glenn

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/FRAZETTA_LION_1.jpg

SpiritDreamer
08-24-2008, 01:56 PM
AUGUST 24, 2008
A little further along with this lion this morning.
Z BRUSH
Glenn

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/FRAZETTA_LION_2.jpg

SpiritDreamer
08-25-2008, 12:19 PM
AUGUST 25, 2008

MORNING PLAY..:)
Glenn

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/FRAZETTA_MAN_WOMAN_LION_1.jpg

SpiritDreamer
08-25-2008, 10:27 PM
AUGUST 25, 2008

AFTERNOON PLAY..:)
Z BRUSH
Glenn

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/FRAZETTA_MAN_WOMAN_LION_2.jpg

AUMAKUA
08-26-2008, 05:46 AM
Great update Glenn, especially the lion is very inspiring! btw, what resolution (in ZB) are you working on for this composition?

SpiritDreamer
08-26-2008, 01:21 PM
AUGUST 26, 2008

HEY ..Nick ..THANKS...:) ...I didn't mess with the resolution, so it's at whatever the Z BRUSH program is preset to...which is way too low probably, and is why i'm getting jagged edges ..i think anyway..?
I just looked at the DVD by Meats Meier, in his illustration section, he says he usually works at 4,096 resolution,..in his demo though, he sets it at 2,000 resolution and says that should be fine for a poster of 20 in. by 20 in.
He also says to ajust the smooth setting,..which I haven't done yet ether.
I'm still trying to figure all of this stuff out..it seems that every time I figure one thing out, 3 more things to figure out, pop up..:scream: Oh well, i'll get there someday..LOL...In the meantime, i'm just having fun with it..LOL..:)
THANKS for the visit Nick,..ALWAYS welcomed and appreceated..:thumbsup: :)
Hope your vacation turned out GREAT by the way.:)
TAKE CARE
Glenn

MORNING PLAY
Z BRUSH

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/FRAZETTA_MAN_WOMAN_LION_4.jpg

SpiritDreamer
08-26-2008, 09:51 PM
AUGUST 26, 2008

Z BRUSH
Glenn

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/FRAZETTA_WOMAN_1.jpg

AUMAKUA
08-27-2008, 07:49 AM
Hey Glenn, thank you, it was an awesome holiday this summer :) (even without an online laptop around lol)
I asked you about the resolution cause sometimes ZBrush can be a little tricky with these things.. Meats' dvds are excellent training and his tips are really handy for practical issues like working resolution ;)

SpiritDreamer
08-27-2008, 02:20 PM
AUGUST 27, 2008

HEY ..Nick...Glad to hear that your vacation went well :) , and also glad to hear that you left your computer out of the real life experiance of a vacation..:thumbsup:
I tried the higher resolution, set it at 2000 by 2000 like Meats Meier showed in his illustration demo on his dvd...cleans up those edges pretty good I think...Looks good when it is blown up to poster size..no facets or zagged edges...THANKS for asking that question of me about the resolution,..I probably wouldn't have messed around with it, if you hadn't asked me about it..now i'm glad I did...one more aspect of Z BRUSH that I am beginning to grasp...:)
THANKS for the feedback Nick, ALWAYS helpful, welcomed, and very much appreceated..:)
TAKE CARE, and HAVE A GREAT ONE.. Nick :thumbsup:
Glenn

MORNING PLAY
Z BRUSH

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/FRAZETTA_TYPE_DANCERS_2.jpg

SpiritDreamer
08-28-2008, 12:30 PM
AUGUST 28, 2008

MORNING PLAY.:)
Z BRUSH
Glenn

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/WINTER_WEASEL_1.jpg

SpiritDreamer
08-28-2008, 09:43 PM
AUGUST 28, 2008

Z BRUSH
Glenn

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/WINTER_WEASEL_3.jpg

Intervain
08-29-2008, 01:24 AM
birdie eater's back :) cute!

SpiritDreamer
08-29-2008, 11:45 AM
AUGUST 29, 2008

HEY ..Magdalena..:) Not so cute, if your the bird..LOL..:D
TAKE CARE
Glenn

MORNING PLAY
Z BRUSH

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/WINTER_WEASEL_6.jpg

NR43
08-29-2008, 01:24 PM
Not so cute, if your the bird..
LOL nice one Glenn

:bounce:

anandpg
08-29-2008, 02:25 PM
Hey Glenn!! This one is turning out cool!:thumbsup: Quite a different color scheme from your usual!

Frejasphere
08-30-2008, 02:36 AM
Hey there Glenn :)

Been ages (or feels like it) & glad to pop in here and see how your're going!
Thanks too for your comments in my sb :wavey:
This last one you're working on does have different colours :) will be interesting to
see where you take it!

Hope all is well and happy

cheers!
a. :)

SpiritDreamer
08-30-2008, 12:28 PM
AUGUST 30, 2008

HEY ..Johan,THANKS..I thought that one was kind of cute myself..LOL..:D

THANKS Anand...I have to use different colors for it, ..Those weasels only turn white in the cold winter, and then change back to brown in the spring...Great system of camoflague for hunting that they have going on for themselves..:)

HEY..Annette..ALWAYS a pleasure to have you stop by..THANKS:) ..and I hope all is well with you also..:thumbsup: The colors..always fun to try new ones..:)

TAKE CARE, and THANKS for the visit guys,..always appreceated..:)

MORNING PLAY
Z BRUSH

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/WINTER_WEASEL_9.jpg

SpiritDreamer
08-31-2008, 05:52 AM
AUGUST 31, 2008

Z BRUSH
Glenn

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/WINTER_WEASEL_14.jpg

SpiritDreamer
09-01-2008, 03:19 AM
AUGUST 31, 2008

EVENING PLAY
Z BRUSH/PAINTER #9 COMBO
Glenn

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/WINTER_WEASEL_21.jpg

Misolidio
09-01-2008, 05:27 AM
Gleen,sweet looking!
I prefer last one,more soft.
A really good piece!:)

AUMAKUA
09-01-2008, 06:06 AM
Indeed really sweet look, i also prefer the latest one! keep it coming Glenn :)

SpiritDreamer
09-02-2008, 03:59 AM
SEPT. 01, 2008

THANKS Giuseppe and Nick .:) .Trying to capture some of that magic that happens sometimes when snow, light, and atmosphere combine in a certain way..I've seen it and felt it plenty of times in my life while living here in Boston, but i've never really seriously tried to capture it in a painting, until now.
THANKS for the visit and feedback guys, ALWAYS appreceated and welcomed..:thumbsup: :)
TAKE CARE
Glenn

EVENING PLAY
Z BRUSH/PAINTER #9 COMBO

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/WINTER_WEASEL_23.jpg

SpiritDreamer
09-02-2008, 12:40 PM
SEPT. 02, 2008

Upped the resolution to 2000 by 2000...put a couple of 3D sphere's/eyes into his skull, and now will try to do some more sculpting and refining on this character that I started, but never finished..:)
Created from imagination, no references used.
Z BRUSH
Glenn

MORNING PLAY

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/SAYTRE_HI_RES.jpg

SpiritDreamer
09-02-2008, 07:53 PM
SEPT. 02, 2008

AFTERNOON PLAY.:)
Z BRUSH
Glenn

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/SAYTRE_HI_RES_2.jpg

SpiritDreamer
09-02-2008, 09:59 PM
SEPT. 02, 2008

MORE AFTERNOON PLAY..:)
Z BRUSH
Glenn

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/SAYTRE_HI_RES_3.jpg

AUMAKUA
09-03-2008, 06:40 AM
He's going great :) are you planning a composition with him or just a bust?
there are really great older works in everyone's folders that deserve to be re-discovered and completed !

SpiritDreamer
09-03-2008, 12:03 PM
SEPT. 03, 2008

HEY,..THANKS Nick.:) ...I'm not sure about a composition for him yet. Mostly just trying out some stuff that is in that Meats Meier DVD on Z BRUSH in the ILLUSTRATION SECTION of the DVD.
He shows where you can take one 3D character model, and create ten different illustrations from it..for posters ect.
That's the part of the the program that really appeals to me. Seeing how i'm not an animator, and don't really have a need for the specifics of that field of art, i'm free to just use the program for my own needs, which is painting.
The possiblities for illustration and painting in this program are fantastic, and the freedom this program allows for is what i'm trying to master.
THANKS for the feedback Nick...ALWAYS welcomed and very much appreceated..:) :thumbsup:
TAKE CARE MY FRIEND
Glenn

Z BRUSH

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/SAYTRE_HI_RES_4.jpg

SpiritDreamer
09-04-2008, 09:11 AM
SEPT. 04, 2008

Another angle of my 3D model to practice Z BRUSH illustration techniques on.

MORNING PLAY
Glenn

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/SAYTRE_HI_RES_5.jpg

SpiritDreamer
09-04-2008, 12:34 PM
SEPT. 04, 2008

MORE MORNING PLAY, THIS MORNING..:)
Z BRUSH
Glenn

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/SAYTRE_HI_RES_10.jpg

Kanga
09-05-2008, 12:45 AM
Lovely free sculpture Glenn. Is that the snake hook brush sneaking in?:D The hair has loads of character, would be nice to see a figure to go with that expressive head!

The force be with you.
Chris

SpiritDreamer
09-05-2008, 04:00 AM
SEPT. 04, 2008

HEY ..Chris...THANKS...:) No snakehook brush used on this one...I used the SMUDGE brush set large at first, then set small for a few fine hairs on top of the wind blown forms to modify everything in the hair parts...The inflate brush for the rest of the modifications of the muscles in his neck ect.
THANKS for the kind words and visit, ..Much welcomed, and appreceated..:)
TAKE CARE
Glenn

EVENING PLAY

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/SAYTRE_HI_RES_17.jpg

shapemaster
09-05-2008, 08:26 AM
hi

just wanted to say that your pictures arent showing on my computer ... it might be because i currently live in china which is known to block many webpages ... its really a shame because interestingly few months ago it was still working, but i wasnt too engaged with zbrush and 3d in general back then ... now that im taking more interest in 3d, i cant see your pics but i still remember the quality of your works ... do you have your pics hosted on another site maybe?

bye

SpiritDreamer
09-05-2008, 09:53 PM
SEPT. 05, 2008

Hi..Taole..I'm hosted by YAHOO, which won't deal with any countries who censor the internet, which I think is GREAT..:) But is also unfortunite for those people living in the countries such as yours who refuse to stop censoring the internet..:sad:
The works I have posted on my CG PORTFOLIO are not cencored,..I will start putting some of my newer Z BRUSH works in there, so you people living in CHINA can have a chance to see my work..if you are interested in seeing it that is..If you feel like looking,..I have a few Z BRUSH pieces that I have done over the last few months posted in there, so you might take a look there, until I post some newer stuff..
ANYWAY, THANK YOU for the visit, and sorry about not being able to see my works in here..Someday MAYBE..:)
TAKE CARE
Glenn

AFTERNOON PLAY
Revisiting and refining a Z BRUSH DRAWING that I started awhile back, but never finished.
Z BRUSH...From imagination, no references used.

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/HORSE_BATTLE_HI_RES_2.jpg

AUMAKUA
09-06-2008, 06:21 AM
Awesome piece you started! I just love horses and epic scenes with these lovely and proud animals! the composition and posing reminds me of some Renaissance works, it's going to be really great :) i might say that the perspective+angle seems a bit peculiar, but you know better ;)
keep it coming !

SpiritDreamer
09-06-2008, 05:58 PM
SEPT 06, 2008

HEY..THANK YOU Nick..:) Just a little something to experiment with, and try out what i've been learning in the Z BRUSH program, while using that Meats Meier DVD as my learning tool and teacher.
TAKE CARE Nick, and thanks for the visit, and kind words my friend.
ALWAYS welcomed, and very much appreceated..:)
Glenn

AFTERNOON PLAY
Z BRUSH

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/HORSE_BATTLE_HI_RES_8.jpg

NR43
09-06-2008, 06:54 PM
You know, I donnow if I have mentioned this before, but I often think when looking at your work that there is a lot of Rubens in there...

It's great to see you make the effort and pick up unfinished works.
I should do it as well coz the pile of unfinished works is getting huuge :blush:

Thanks a million for letting me know about that book I was looking for Glenn!
I looked it up and added it to my wishlist on Amazon. I will buy it next month, when the latest Visa bill has been paid heh. Unless I can find it in this 2nd hand artbook store I know of...

Really appreciated!

SpiritDreamer
09-07-2008, 02:31 PM
SEPT. 07, 2008

HEY Johan..THANKS..:) I have been enjoying and studying the works of the OLD MASTERS like Rubens, DaVinci ect. ect. ect. for a whole lot of years now..I hope by now that some of it has rubbed off on me, and shows somewhat in my work...I would hate to think that all of that studying was all done for nothing...LOL:scream: :eek: :)
Anyway..I'm just using some older unfinished works at the moment to practice what i'm learning from the Meats Meier DVD..Introduction To Z BRUSH 3...Not really striving for finished pieces in here, just study and practice....After all, that's what sketchbooks are all about, and for...:)
I think you are really going to like that Da Vinci book...It'a a great example of what sketchbooks are all about..You know, Da Vinci only did a very few finished paintings in his long life...but what he did do, was thousends of studies that led up to them...That's something worth thinking about, and is something I think about more and more as time goes by.
TAKE CARE
Johan, and THANKS for the visit,..ALWAYS welcomed and very much appreceated..:)
Glenn

MORNING PLAY
Z BRUSH

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/HORSE_BATTLE_HI_RES_10.jpg

SpiritDreamer
09-08-2008, 02:38 PM
SEPT. 08, 2008

Z BRUSH
Glenn

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/HORSE_BATTLE_HI_RES_19.jpg

SpiritDreamer
09-09-2008, 11:56 AM
SEPT. 09, 2008

MORNING PLAY
Z BRUSH
Glenn

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/HORSE_BATTLE_HI_RES_21.jpg

SpiritDreamer
09-10-2008, 12:51 PM
SEPT. 10, 2008

Z BRUSH
Glenn

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/HORSE_WARRIOR_HEAD_3.jpg

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/HORSE_WARRIOR_HEAD_2.jpg

DoctorBone
09-10-2008, 01:04 PM
You are getting
damn good at
this game

Kanga
09-10-2008, 01:07 PM
Nice work Glenn!
;)

SpiritDreamer
09-11-2008, 01:02 PM
SEPT 11, 2008

HEY DOC..THANK YOU FOR THE BONE..TASTY..:drool:
All I can do is thank and quote a GREAT artist that has given me alot of GREAT INSPIRATION along this journy in here that i've entered into ..THANKS FOR FEEDING THE MONKEY..:) DOC.

Chris...THANK YOU..:)

THANKS for the feedback guys...ALWAYS welcomed and very much appreceated..:) :thumbsup:
TAKE CARE
Glenn

MORNING PLAY
Z BRUSH

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/HORSE_BATTLE_HI_RES_25.jpg

Heozart
09-11-2008, 03:46 PM
Hi Glenn,

Wow, the details on that old guy with horns are amazing, the muscles and wrinkles. I envy your ability to recreate vivid imagination. Those spears look so sharp and dangerous I almost don't want to know what happens next. I wonder if it would look better if they weren't parallel to each other? Looking forward to seeing the progress.

SpiritDreamer
09-12-2008, 12:05 PM
SEPT 12, 2008

THANKS Wes...:) Imagination is a muscle,..if you don't use it, you lose it, and the more you use it, the stronger it gets..:)
About the spears...The only other good option that I can see, is to maybe create a V shape with them, and have the open end of the V leading into the figure on the left,...but that would take away from the motion that gets my eye going from one figure to the other by traveling along the line of the spears, and would also destroy the sense of mutual destruction that apears to be happening now between them..Nobody wins in war or battle, and everybody involved in them loses something in the process.
Even the people who profit from them, lose their humanity, everybody loses SOMETHING....PARALLELED DESTRUCTION..
THANKS for the feedback Wes, ALWAYS welcomed and appreceated..:) :thumbsup:
TAKE CARE
Glenn

MORNING PLAY
Z BRUSH

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/LION_FIGHT_1.jpg

Eiki
09-12-2008, 12:10 PM
SEPT 12, 2008

THANKS Wes...:) Imagination is a muscle,..if you don't use it, you lose it, and the more you use it, the stronger it gets..:)

lol glenn, thats cool..
you are the proof :)

always inspiring work in your thread, i mostly do not know what to say
but it is always a pleasure to look through your work

:) seb

Heozart
09-12-2008, 04:58 PM
Wow, I had no clue there was such a deep philosophical meaning behind the parallel spears. After reading your reasoning, I have nothing but respect.

alenah
09-13-2008, 08:05 AM
.. simply love your thread - and the way it "lives its own life" :)
I always enjoy :)
keep posting (I do not doubt you will :) )
- just dropped in to say hallo,
a.

SpiritDreamer
09-13-2008, 02:37 PM
SEPT. 13, 2008

THANKS Sebastian:) I have been enjoying seeing your progress, even though I haven't been commenting lately,..I still manage to see where you are at, and where you are going on your learning journy in this forum, and it's always a pleasure for me..:)

THANKS Wes..:)
REASONING IS THE REASON TO CREATE..CREATION IS MEANINGLESS WITHOUT IT

THANK YOU Alena.:) ..STILL CRAZY AFTER ALL THESE YEARS,..AND LOVING EVERY MINUTE OF IT..LOL:)
THANK YOU for the feedback guys, ALWAYS welcomed, and very much appreceated:) :thumbsup:
TAKE CARE
Glenn

MORNING PLAY
LION DENTURES..:)
Z BRUSH

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/LION_TEETH_1.jpg

SpiritDreamer
09-14-2008, 02:56 AM
SEPT 13, 2008

EVENING PLAY.:)
Z BRUSH
Glenn

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/LION_WITH_TEETH.jpg

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/LION_WITH_TEETH_2.jpg

Aviva
09-14-2008, 09:06 AM
Hi Glenn,

You must have an amazingly vivid imagination to get such detailed work from it! :)

Nice lion!

I really love the expressions on both the humans and horses in the picture above. The scarier guy is the one that looks so coldly calm. I wouldn't want to mess with him!

SpiritDreamer
09-14-2008, 01:16 PM
SEPT. 14, 2008

THANKS Tessa..:) Not as vivid imagination as I would like...I had to pry my dogs mouth open to see how the fangs overlap..:D I had it in my head that the top fangs overlapped in front of the bottom fangs, but after seeing the real setup in my dogs teeth, it is the oppisite of what I originally thought,..the bottom fangs go in front of the top ones.
Most of the general stuff, like the muscles, which are pretty much simaler to humans, I can get from my imagination. The proportions are from memory,..but when I start getting into the finer details, like the teeth, I resort to references, like my dog, and other paintings of lions, like from RUBENS, FRAZETTA ECT.
I just like to push it as far as I can using only my imagination and memory at first, ..forces me to exercise that old imagination muscle, which keeps it in good shape..;)
THANKS for the feedback, ALWAYS appreceated and welcomed..:) :thumbsup:
TAKE CARE
Glenn

MORNING PLAY
Z BRUSH

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/LION_WITH_TEETH_4.jpg

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/LION_WITH_TEETH_3.jpg

anandpg
09-14-2008, 03:21 PM
Hey Glenn!! Great work on the lion so far! :thumbsup: I think the front teeth should be of a somewhat different shape, and a little randomness in size and orientation would be nice..
http://www.wildaboutcats.org/lionsku.jpg
http://www.bergoiata.org/fe/felins/Roaring,%20African%20Lion.jpg

JohanGold
09-14-2008, 06:12 PM
hi glenn ...

it's been while ..

i liked your play .. hehe

especially when it comes to play alot of inspiring thoughts show up .. haha

well it's glad to see your work again.. and looking forward to see the lion's eye

i'll be in touch

best of luck .. majid

SpiritDreamer
09-14-2008, 08:25 PM
SEPT. 14, 2008

HEY Anand...I just got a look, right as i'm posting these latest updates, at those links that you posted of the lions teeth and mouth...GREAT, just what I needed at this point, they will eliminate all the guess work about the teeth, gums, lips ect...THANKS A MILLION Anand, Really appreceate it..:) :thumbsup:

Majid..THANKS...Eyes coming up shortly..as soon as I get his teeth and mouth area worked out :)

THANKS for the feedback guys, ALWAYS helpful, welcomed, and very much appreceated..:) :thumbsup:
TAKE CARE
Glenn

AFTERNOON PLAY
Z BRUSH

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/LION_WITH_TEETH_6.jpg

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/LION_WITH_TEETH_5.jpg

SpiritDreamer
09-15-2008, 01:46 PM
SEPT. 15, 2008

Z BRUSH
Glenn

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/LION_WITH_TEETH_9.jpg

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/LION_WITH_TEETH_8.jpg

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/LION_WITH_TEETH_7.jpg

JohanGold
09-15-2008, 01:59 PM
hi glenn ..

how are u this morning ?

i liked the teeth shape .. and i posted a link for lion teeth close up ..look ..

i hope it be useful

http://www.birdsasart.com/African-Lioness-teeth-close-up-_V5W5157-Keekorok-Lodge,-Maasai-Mara,-Kenya.jpg

best regards

looking forward

AUMAKUA
09-15-2008, 03:31 PM
It's going really well Glenn, bravo my friend :) I wonder though, if you are going to define the ears a bit more..

SpiritDreamer
09-15-2008, 09:32 PM
SEPT. 15, 2008

THANKS Majid...I'm doing fine..and yes that link to those bottom teeth is GREAT...Must be a young lion...no tartar buildup..:)

HEY Nick...GREAT to hear from you, and THANKS..:) ...I'm going to do those ears...need to get some refference to see how they look when there're pinned back on the adult males..not sure if they even show through all that mane...maybe just the tips of them a little,..not sure, but will find out shortly.
THANKS for the feedback guys..much appreceated, and welcomed.
TAKE CARE
Glenn

AFTERNOON PLAY
Z BRUSH

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/LION_AND_MAN_COMP_1.jpg

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/LION_AND_MAN_COMP.jpg

SpiritDreamer
09-16-2008, 01:36 PM
SEPT. 16, 2008

MORNING PLAY :)
Z BRUSH
Glenn

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/LION_AND_MAN_COMP_7.jpg

Kanga
09-16-2008, 02:40 PM
Hey Glenn lookin good!
Not sure about the comp. The chaps head is a flat on top view which makes it hard to read. Also the pose itself has less tension than one of the earlier pics. The lion is dandy:). Those front paws (legs would be bent more maybe in a catlike way. If Leo came in higher at the front end it might seem more dangerous. You could twist the body a bit too to give more dynamics.

Nice stuff!
Chris

SpiritDreamer
09-16-2008, 06:58 PM
SEPT. 16, 2008

HEY...THANKS Chris...I like all of those suggestions that you just mentioned..I will see what I can do with it as I continue to explore and experiment with this amazing Z BRUSH program.
I still have a whole lot to learn in this program, and wasn't really trying for a finished composition here, mainly just trying to get a handle on some of the things that are in the Meats Meier DVD Introduction To Z BRUSH 3, in the illustration section..It's pretty much all new to me at this point, so there will be alot of trial and error along the way,...but i'm basically having a blast learning it,...and the posibilities seem endless..Your feedback/suggestions are very much appreceated and welcomed...THANKS AGAIN Chris..:)
TAKE CARE
Glenn

AFTERNOON PLAY
Z BRUSH

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/LION_AND_MAN_COMP_11.jpg

Heozart
09-16-2008, 09:53 PM
Hi Glenn, I don't know if this is good, but I keep looking and the paws and thinking "aww, so cute." I guess they are still in early stages, because I see that the face is getting more vicious and scarier each time you post. Just wanted to tell you that I am enjoying the progress.

SpiritDreamer
09-17-2008, 01:06 PM
SEPT. 17, 2008

THANKS for the feedback Wes...much appreceated and welcomed..:)
I will have to find some refference for the color of the claws..can't remember off hand, what color they are, maybe black..not sure.will find out shortly.
TAKE CARE, and THANKS AGAIN Wes..Very helpful suggestion :thumbsup:
Glenn

MORNING PLAY
Z BRUSH

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/LION_AND_MAN_COMP_18.jpg

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/LION_AND_MAN_COMP_17.jpg

AUMAKUA
09-17-2008, 03:21 PM
Just awesome, I love this mean scary supernatural mouth and face of the beast :)
Let me suggest something about the front legs and paws though... instead of letting them look so symmetrical/parallel, you could think of making the legs less parallel, the toes more defined and skinny, and show them spread so that they really look ready to grasp and tear apart the hero's flesh ! heh, letting my fantasy running wild again ;)

SpiritDreamer
09-18-2008, 03:47 AM
SEPT. 17, 2008

HEY Nick....THANKS..:) I'm going to do a few versions of this drama..Just getting a feel for the elements with this version..It's kind of like a preliminary sketch at this point. I like your idea, and searched out a couple of great leaping poses for the lion..I found them in a Frazetta book I have. I will incorporate some elements from those poses into my next version. I also found out that the claws are an ivory sort of color, and not black as I thought they were, and also checked out some of the works of Boris to get a better idea of skin color for this guy..I didn't like the color that I did this morning, too dark...needed more coppers, blue grays, and gray reds...I think it looks a little better now, at least I can see the guys face and more of his muscles in this latest try...Learning alot on this one, which is what it's all about..to me anyway..:)
HEY, and THANKS Nick for the great suggestions along the way..Really very helpful, and very much appreceated..:thumbsup: :)
TAKE CARE MY FRIEND
Glenn

EVENING PLAY
Z BRUSH

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/LION_AND_MAN_COMP_23.jpg

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/LION_AND_MAN_COMP_22.jpg

anandpg
09-18-2008, 05:32 AM
Hey Glenn! Beautiful image so far! :thumbsup:

Found an interesting page on lion manes.. thought I would share with you:
http://www.eurekalert.org/multimedia/pub/1943.php?from=84309

Also, a "lion wisperer" story :)
http://www.offbeatenough.com/2007/06/28/the-king-of-the-jungle-doesnt-frighten-the-lion-whisperer/

SpiritDreamer
09-18-2008, 03:22 PM
SEPT. 18, 2008

HEY...THANK YOU Anand..:) That one on the lion manes will really come in handy..:) I read that article on the lion wisperer first thing this morning when I woke up...GREAT WAY to start the day.:)
We are all just spirits of different natures born into different types of forms/structures/bodies that inhabit the EARTH. That has always been my belief, and that article just reinforces that belief that much more.
I wrote alot about that belief in my Master and Servant challange piece that I did awhile back,..link to it is at the bottom of this post...I haven't read it since I wrote it, but I remember saying alot about the subject of SPIRIT in there...In case you haven't read it, I think you might find it interesting, especally in light of the current predicament that is happening around the planet.
SO THANKS AGAIN Anand...Really appreceate all the help...:)
TAKE CARE
Glenn

MORNING PLAY...STRONG RIGHT UPPERCUT COMING AT YOU..LOL :D
Z BRUSH

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/LION_IN_STRIKE_POSE_1.jpg

DoctorBone
09-18-2008, 03:26 PM
You Are One
Hard Working
Dude

SpiritDreamer
09-19-2008, 11:19 AM
SEPT. 19, 2008

JUST DOING SOMETHING POSITIVE WITH MY TIME DOC..:)

MORNING PLAY
Z BRUSH
Glenn

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/LION_AND_MAN_COMP_24.jpg

ceruleanvii
09-19-2008, 05:52 PM
HI Glenn - I've been away but you've been busy as usual! I really like that ermine in the snow a few pages back, a few snowflakes would finish it nicely I think - great mood and color in that one!

SpiritDreamer
09-20-2008, 01:14 AM
SEPT. 19, 2008

HEY Del...Welcome back.:) ..I missed seeing your work. ..and THANKS :) ..That ermine started out as a portrait of a cheetah cat in the last 3d workshop,and somehow evolved into an ermine in the snow..goes to show you that you just never know LOL..:D It was a fun evolution, and I learned alot from it..Glad that you like it...:)
TAKE CARE
Glenn

EVENING PLAY
5 MINUTE DOODLE .....FROM IMAGINATION, NO REFFERENCES USED.
PAINTER #9..TINTING BRUSH..OILS

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/WOMAN_BATHING.jpg

SpiritDreamer
09-20-2008, 05:37 PM
SEPT. 20, 2008

AFTERNOON PLAY :)
Z BRUSH
Glenn

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/WOMAN_BATHING_2.jpg

SpiritDreamer
09-21-2008, 04:31 AM
SEPT. 21, 2008

Z BRUSH
Glenn

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/WOMAN_BATHING_4.jpg

NR43
09-21-2008, 09:24 AM
Hm.. wouldn't mind joining these ladies in their evening play LOL

On a more serious note... thanks for the hint on that Da Vinci Book Glenn! It so happens to be that I found a brand new copy of it (translated in Dutch) for only 8€... I'm only at page 39 now and I am already amazed at the wisdom this man has left for us... got another great opportunity to learn more now.

Thanks again!
Have a nice day

SpiritDreamer
09-21-2008, 05:09 PM
SEPT. 21, 2008

HEY Johan..:)
I wouldn't mind ether...It would probably kill me, but what a way to go...LOL:)
I'm glad to hear that you got that book...A GREAT LEARNING TOOL HE LEFT BEHIND FOR US..FOR SURE..:)
TAKE CARE Johan, and HAVE A GREAT ONE..:thumbsup:
Glenn

AFTERNOON PLAY
Z BRUSH

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/WOMAN_BATHING_9.jpg

SpiritDreamer
09-22-2008, 11:05 AM
SEPT. 22, 2008

Z BRUSH
Glenn

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/WOMAN_BATHING_10.jpg

SpiritDreamer
09-22-2008, 11:53 AM
SEPT. 22, 2008

MORE MORNING PLAY
Z BRUSH
Glenn

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/WOMAN_BATHING_11.jpg

SpiritDreamer
09-22-2008, 07:45 PM
SEPT. 22, 2008

Z BRUSH
Glenn

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/WOMAN_BATHING_13.jpg

SpiritDreamer
09-23-2008, 02:35 PM
SEPT. 23, 2008

Z BRUSH
Glenn

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/WOMAN_BATHING_20.jpg

Zephyri
09-23-2008, 09:31 PM
Hey Glenn, long time since I dropped by this thread (and indeed these forums!), and it's wonderful to see that your visions are still being brought to life through the digital media! Seems you've really got to grips with zbrush in a way that suits your style, I really love the last phase of the first of the man and lion images... the way the lion's mane might not be 100% realistic, but the flow and ferocity it lends the animal makes up for that. Love the dream like quality of the background in that image too.

Nitpick of the post (there has to be one neh?) would be that the lower legs of the man seem almost as thick as the thighs... maybe just slim everything from the knee down to the ankle down a little?

But that aside, it's been lovely to take a wander through here again!

Heozart
09-24-2008, 04:29 AM
Hi Glenn,

It is very cool to watch your imagintion come into life. I have to say I love the 5-minute doodle stage the most. It is like getting a peak into the unconscious mind, almost makes me feel guilty for looking at what I am not supposed to. Keep up your plays!

SpiritDreamer
09-24-2008, 12:55 PM
SEPT. 24, 2008

HEY SPIRIT WIND..LONG TIME since you've blown my way..:)
I'm still struggling with Z BRUSH as you can see, but it's a good kind of struggle, and keeps me occupied and out of trouble...LOL..So I can't complain..:)
Just using these visions to practice and learn Z BRUSH with..not really concerned about perfection..just need something to practice with and on at this point...HEY,it's great to hear from you again,..Hope all is well with you and yours, and by the way.. WELCOME BACK..:)

HEY Wes...THANKS...I did that first doodle mainly with you in mind..I did a couple of drawings with my eyes closed..LOL, AND THEN SAW THIS LATEST IMAGE WITH THE WOMEN UNDER THE TREE as I had my eyes closed..so I just doodled it down while the image was fresh in my minds eye..I doodled it with my eyes open..LOL..But I originally saw it with my eyes closed and my imagination turned on..:)

THANKS for the feedback guys..ALWAYS welcomed and very much appreceated..:)
TAKE CARE
Glenn

MORNING PLAY
Z BRUSH
Thinking of making a painting of Bachus and his folly..Rubens type of action and flow.Starting with a horn filled with wine. Got the vision when I put the horn on the womans lap and in her hand.
I will be trying out some new stuff in Z BRUSH that I just learned while creating this horn filled with wine..a fun experiment..:)

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/WOMAN_BATHING_HORN_1.jpg

SpiritDreamer
09-24-2008, 09:31 PM
SEPT. 24, 2008

AFTERNOON PLAY
From imagination, no refferences used
Z BRUSH
Glenn

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/WOMAN_BATHING_HOR_3.jpg

SpiritDreamer
09-25-2008, 11:49 AM
SEPT. 25, 2008

Z BRUSH
Glenn

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/WOMAN_BATHING_HORN_6.jpg

SpiritDreamer
09-26-2008, 12:42 PM
SEPT. 26, 2008

Created from imagination, no references used.
Z BRUSH
Glenn

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/WOMAN_BATHING_HORN_10.jpg

SpiritDreamer
09-27-2008, 05:56 AM
SEPT. 27, 2008

MORNING PLAY
DRUNKEN BACCHUS ON A DONKEY.:)
A very quick doodle sketch from imagination, no references used.
Just capturing the inital thought.
Z BRUSH
Glenn

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/BACCHUS_ON_A_DONKEY_1.jpg

SpiritDreamer
09-27-2008, 04:19 PM
SEPT. 27, 2008

Z BRUSH
Glenn

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/BACCHUS_2.jpg

SpiritDreamer
09-28-2008, 03:29 PM
SEPT. 28, 2008

Z BRUSH
Glenn

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/BACCHUS_4.jpg

SpiritDreamer
09-29-2008, 04:18 AM
SEPT. 29, 2008

Z BRUSH
Glenn

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/BACCHUS_7.jpg

Jho
09-29-2008, 12:33 PM
Great pace you are keeping (once again, I can't imagine doing anything in the mornings. Its just amazing to me that someone can do so much). The latest piece is awesome, I'd really like to see a more finished version. Maybe with a long robe, or a cloack or more jewelry, like in the horn. Also. I wondered why you don't do any backgrounds...
The hands look a bit like he had rubber glowes on :)
I know they are just rough sketches, but I just thought it was funny.

SpiritDreamer
09-29-2008, 01:48 PM
SEPT. 29, 2008

HEY Jho ..THANKS for the visit and feedback, ALWAYS welcomed and appreceated..:) ...I'm just playing at this point, and trying out THINGS THAT ARE NEW TO ME , in Z BRUSH...If I end up with a decent concept along the way, I will finish it with detail, but until then it's just learning, and play.:)
TAKE CARE
Glenn

MORE MORNING PLAY :)
Z BRUSH

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/BACCHUS_ON_LION_2.jpg

alicelefay
09-29-2008, 02:22 PM
ohhh this last work is fantastic!
I love the human figure and how you posed it!! Gratz!!

TedNindo
09-29-2008, 08:31 PM
hey Spirit Dreamer I think you have the longest thread in this whole forum. Your effort is really inspiring.

It seems as if you would use every free minute for your art which is very nice I think. I try to do the same. It is sometimes a thin balance act to not let your family or friends down. But I for myself just try to keep my nonsens time as short as possible and spend as much time as I can with something usefull.

And I need to get down with ZBrush...

Mu
09-29-2008, 09:20 PM
hi Mr. SpiritDreamer,

just popping in to say hello.

Hope you're enjoying yourself.

I like the man's belly - round and manly...:D

sycen
09-30-2008, 11:03 AM
Hi there,
I read a lot of your comments in this forum.
And I think you could make a good guide book for artist. :D
just a thought. :D

SpiritDreamer
09-30-2008, 02:11 PM
SEPT. 30, 2008

THANKS Alice..:)

THANKS TED...I'm just used to getting up at four thirty am and working unil 8 or 9 am on a daily basis..That leaves me the rest of the day to do whatever else needs to be done..naps ect.:D ..If I get bored with the tv in the evening, which is very often, I just play a little more with my early mornings work/play..
I guess that doing hard labor jobs all of my life, has built up, and left me with alot of stamina/energy...so now that i'm out of the hard labor rackets, I just make the most of it, doing what I enjoy the most..my art..:)

HEY MISTER MU...LONG TIME..Hope everything is GREAT over your way, and with you and yours..:) Miss having you around on the forum.I do listen to your music every once in awhile though, just to remind me of you, and so does MRS. SPIRIT DREAMER/Jessica
We are both doing fine, and making the best out of each moment of the journy.. HEY..Don't be such a stranger...and glad you like that guys belley...it acts like a shield, protecting that 6 pact he has hidden beneath it..LOL..:D

Sycen...THANKS.. ...A book...Sounds like alot of work..LOL..At this point in my life, i'd rather PLAY...Reminds me of the lyrics in an old MOODY BLUES song...I'm just a singer in a rock and roll band, and doing the best that I can..:)

THANKS FOR THE FEEDBACK GUYS...ALWAYS WELCOMED AND VERY MUCH APPRECEATED..:)
TAKE CARE
Glenn

MORNING PLAY
Z BRUSH

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/BACCHUS_ON_LION_5.jpg

SpiritDreamer
10-01-2008, 02:33 AM
SEPT. 30, 2008

EVENING PLAY :)
Z BRUSH
Glenn

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/BACCHUS_ON_LION_9.jpg

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/BACCHUS_ON_LION_8.jpg

SpiritDreamer
10-01-2008, 11:49 AM
OCT. 01, 2008

Z BRUSH
Glenn

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/BACCHUS_ON_LION_13.jpg

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/BACCHUS_ON_LION_12.jpg

SpiritDreamer
10-02-2008, 10:23 AM
0CT.02, 2008

Z BRUSH
Glenn

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/BACCHUS_ON_LION_20.jpg

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/BACCHUS_ON_LION_19.jpg

SpiritDreamer
10-02-2008, 11:08 PM
OCT. 02, 2008

EVENING PLAY :)
Z BRUSH
Glenn

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/BACCHUS_ON_LION_23.jpg

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/BACCHUS_ON_LION_22.jpg

anandpg
10-03-2008, 02:34 AM
Hey Glenn!! Bacchus is turning out awesome along with the lion!:thumbsup:

aesis412
10-03-2008, 03:32 AM
I like where the poly painting is going, nice sculpture sor far.

AUMAKUA
10-03-2008, 06:54 AM
Great dynamic pose Glenn :) the lion depiction is really well done, very expressive face (imho it reminds me of a chinese dragon's face) !
keep it coming my friend!

Heozart
10-03-2008, 03:56 PM
Hi Glenn! Wow, I wouldn't want to get anywhere near that lion. He makes the sleeping lions I saw at the zoo look like little kittens. :)

SpiritDreamer
10-03-2008, 04:43 PM
0CT. 03, 2008

THANKS Anand...Just having some fun, while learning..:)

THANKS Jackson...Painting with Z BRUSH is turning out to be loads of fun for me, especally when it's combined with 3d sculpture..It allows for alot of new posibilities to be explored and expanded upon..NOTHING VENTURED, NOTHING GAINED kind of thing for me. Keeping an open mind is the most important thing when it comes to new things I think..Without it, you are condemmed to someone elses ideas of right and wrong..:D

HEY THANK YOU Nick...A Lion Dragon HIBRED...FU DOG...:)

THANKS Wes....Big difference between a WILD FREE SPIRIT, and a CAPTIVE CAGED SPIRIT..:D

TAKE CARE
Glenn

MORNING PLAY
Z BRUSH

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/BACCHUS_ON_LION_25.jpg

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/BACCHUS_ON_LION_24.jpg

SpiritDreamer
10-04-2008, 03:30 PM
OCT. 04, 2008

Z BRUSH
Glenn

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/BACCHUS_ON_LION_28.jpg

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/BACCHUS_ON_LION_27.jpg

SpiritDreamer
10-05-2008, 02:44 PM
0CT. 05, 2008

Z BRUSH
Glenn

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/BACCHUS_ON_LION_31.jpg

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/BACCHUS_ON_LION_30.jpg

SpiritDreamer
10-05-2008, 08:18 PM
OCT. 05, 2008

Z BRUSH
Glenn

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/BACCHUS_ON_LION_33.jpg

SpiritDreamer
10-06-2008, 12:01 PM
OCT.06, 2008

Z BRUSH/PAINTER #9 COMBO
Glenn

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/BACCHUS_ON_LION_35.jpg

razz
10-06-2008, 03:01 PM
Ahh, was following your updates. Must say, awesome stuff. Liked how the pieces got that Frazetta feel to them, hehe. Might be just me though, big cats and naked people remind me of Frazetta. It feels like you've gottent much better with Zbrush.
Just yesterday I was at this mini zoo that is not far from where I live, a few minues drive, there were two lions there. Amazing, huge cat. Nice to see it in your pieces. Animals rule!
And just know that I'm watching even though I don't write much ;]
Godspeed.

anandpg
10-06-2008, 04:05 PM
Hey Glenn! Bacchus turned out really cool!:thumbsup: love the colors on the last one!

killermachine
10-07-2008, 05:39 AM
hey glenn,
how are you?it has been a very long time.this new work of yours is really captivating.the last render almost feels like they are coming from a time wrap ready to attack..
really looking forward to where this goes

regards
Amrinder

SpiritDreamer
10-07-2008, 05:33 PM
OCT. 07, 2008

HEY RAZZZZZ...THANKS..:) Frazetta/Boris feel is what I was after in that one...but done in digital 3d instead of traditional oils..Ended up with a little DALI in there at the end I think LOL :D
It's all just really an exersise/excuse for me to learn/play with Z BRUSH.....You ought to do some studies of that lion that you mentioned...might really come in handy down the road, you never know..:) ...I haven't been writing that much lately ether..just a little burned out on it at the moment it seems like...but I have been looking at everyones work and trying to be helpful when anybody ask for it, whenever I can....Doing all this painting and learning takes alot out of me, and energy...and I'm not getting any younger at the moment here ether ..unfortunitly.LOL...:banghead:

HEY..THANK YOU Anand...I'm making a little headway in this Z BRUSH program...mainly due to people like you who have really helped and encourged me along the way..Can't really thank you enough..so i'll just try to put all of your help to good use, and will hope that the results are pleasing to you..:)

HEY Amrinder...LONG TIME..Hope all is well with you and yours.
I'm still hangin in there, and just taking it a day at a time as always..:)
Not really sure what's happening in that image..Bacchus riding a lion..LOL..Never saw that image combination before.Maybe it's subconscious Symbolism creeping in...Bacchus is the symbol of PAGANISM, and the Lion is the symbol of CHRISTIANITY...Go figure..LOL:eek:
Anyway, THANKS for the feedback guys...ALWAYS appreceated and very much welcomed.:)
TAKE CARE
Glenn

MORNING PLAY
Z BRUSH

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/VASE_FROM_SPHERE_3.jpg

SpiritDreamer
10-08-2008, 12:11 PM
OCT. 08, 2008

MORNING PLAY
From imagination, no references used
Z BRUSH
Glenn

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/VASE_FROM_SPHERE_4.jpg

NR43
10-08-2008, 02:54 PM
Hi Glenn

While the previous version of this vase was reminding me of the pottery my dad used to make years ago, this latest design is very good! I like how the top half looks like a flower .. would make an excellent flower vase :D

that lion looks pretty pissed off for having to carry such a big belly guy LOL... greta dynamic energy coming from that piece, as in most of your work!

Keep inspiring (to quote a welknown cgtalker ;) )

anandpg
10-08-2008, 04:10 PM
:drool: beautiful vase!

SpiritDreamer
10-09-2008, 12:12 PM
OCT. 09, 2008

HEY ..Johan ...THANK YOU...Just trying out some new stuff that i'm learning in Z BRUSH with these latest pieces...I'm always finding that it's kind of like one posibility leads to another with this program...So i'm trying to jot down the posibilities that come to my mind visually as i'm learning this program, so that I don't forget them as time goes by..:) ..I will try to keep inspired, and all I can do is hope that my inspiration inspires...I'm just doing the best that I am able to do, with what I have learned along the way, and trying to leave behind something that makes and made it worthwhile..:)

HEY Anand...THANK YOU...It's the first try for me at using those multiple points in the symitry settings to create 3d relief patterns on a 3d tool.
Another aspect of this program that is truely..AMAZING..:)

TAKE CARE
Glenn

Z BRUSH

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/VASE_WITH_DANCERS_1.jpg

SpiritDreamer
10-10-2008, 11:35 AM
OCT. 10, 2008

Z BRUSH
Glenn

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/VASE_WITH_DANCERS_2.jpg

SpiritDreamer
10-10-2008, 08:16 PM
OCT. 10, 2008

Z BRUSH
Glenn

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/VASE_WITH_DANCERS_3.jpg

SpiritDreamer
10-11-2008, 12:18 PM
OCT. 11, 2008

Z BRUSH
Glenn

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/FLOWER_3D_1.jpg

selphoo
10-13-2008, 06:42 AM
hey man!

great job like working without references...really like last two posts- keep your work up ;)

cheers

selphoo

Aviva
10-13-2008, 07:37 AM
Heya Glenn,

The latest shape of the vase is lovely, the tops a little like a clam shell. The figures remind me of ancient greek pottery. Great work on the flowers, they just need some stamen and a carpel in the centre. :) I like the elongated sepals (leafy bits).

Cheers!

SpiritDreamer
10-13-2008, 06:24 PM
OCT. 13, 2008

HEY..THANKS Daniel..I prefer working from imagination..it strenthens it over time...But it's also good to copy from the masters, old and new, and of course from life itself..each method strenthens the other, over time..It's kind of like that old symbol of three sticks..They are weak and can be broken easily when they are seperate and by themselves, but when they are intertwined, they become alot stronger and are alot harder to break..:)

HEY...THANK YOU Tessa...This is just my latest experiment while learning Z BRUSH..I've never seen a 3D flower arrangement, so I thought I would try my hand at making one..It gives me an opportunity and reason to explore what is new to me in Z BRUSH, and what I don't know in Z BRUSH..I will try making a varity of flowers, and then arrange them in the vase that I created for them..Starting out with a couple in this latest post, will add and arrange more as I go along with this experiment..Learning alot from this experiment, and experiments in general,..that's what is really important to me...:)

TAKE CARE
Glenn

Z BRUSH

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/FLOWER_ARANGEMENT_3D_1.jpg

alicelefay
10-14-2008, 10:23 AM
This is a piece I'd really love to have in my house :p

SpiritDreamer
10-14-2008, 01:35 PM
OCT.14, 2008

THANKS Alice...:) One of these days, I might get good enough at this stuff to have a real life model made from my work,..but I don't think it's at that point yet...Then again, i'll have to get rich also, before I can do that...LOL :D
THANKS for the feedback and encourgement Alice ..ALWAYS welcomed and very much appreceated..:)
TAKE CARE
Glenn

EXPERIMENTING
Z BRUSH

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/FLOWER_ARANGEMENT_3D_2.jpg

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/FLOWER_ARANGEMENT_3D_3.jpg

alicelefay
10-14-2008, 01:46 PM
If you will get rich and make some of these become "real", please reserve one for me :p
It's really a fantastic work, I love the colours and the style, it remembers me so much of Rodin and art nouveau...you rock!!!

selphoo
10-14-2008, 06:02 PM
"...It's kind of like that old symbol of three sticks..They are weak and can be broken easily when they are seperate and by themselves, but when they are intertwined, they become alot stronger and are alot harder to break.."

It is very well written:)

nice update's , waiting for more

cheers!

anandpg
10-14-2008, 06:30 PM
WOW! Good work on the flowers, Glenn!:applause:

SpiritDreamer
10-14-2008, 10:06 PM
OCT. 14, 2008

THANKS Alice...I will do that for sure, if my work ever reaches that point where it can be done that is..:) ..About getting rich,.. One of these days...MAYBE.:) But i'm not going be holding my breath, waiting for it to happen...LOL..:D and besides, the real pleasure is in the journy of creating, and you don't need to be rich to experience that kind of pleasure..LUCKILY :)

THANKS Daniel..As long as i'm able, there will always be more updates..for sure..:)

Anand..THANK YOU..:) I'm off on a new Z BRUSH adventure with these flowers, and learning alot, or trying to that is, as I go along.

THANKS for the feedback guys..As ALWAYS, VERY MUCH WELCOMED AND VERY MUCH APPRECEATED..:)
TAKE CARE
Glenn

FLOWER DESIGN
Z BRUSH

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/FLOWER_ARANGEMENT_3D_32.jpg

Kanga
10-15-2008, 06:13 AM
Lovely work Glenn.
Those untextured flower models are amazing man!

Cheerio Chris

SpiritDreamer
10-15-2008, 05:24 PM
OCT.15, 2008

HEY.. THANK YOU Chris..:) I'm learning a little bit..slowly but surely..mostly slowly..:banghead: LOL:)
I ended up making all of these flowers so far from a couple of those first vases that I started with, which were made from a sphere.I used one sphere, and just kept evolving it, and ened up making four or five different versions/styles of vases from that one sphere, plus the flowers, which then evolved from the different style vases that I started with..an unexpected and pleasant bonus along the journy. I just kept pushing things further into my unknown to see what would happen..Kind of funny how these experiments turn out sometimes...An unplanned and unexpected adventure, the best kind ..sometimes..:)
THANKS FOR THE FEEDBACK and ENCOURGEING WORDS Chris
ALWAYS welcomed, and very much appreceated..:)
TAKE CARE
Glenn

MORNING/AFTERNOON PLAY :)
EXPERIMENTING
Z BRUSH

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/FLOWER_ARANGEMENT_6.jpg

killermachine
10-16-2008, 10:53 AM
now that what we call a real decorative piece..flowers are crazy amazing :beer:

SpiritDreamer
10-16-2008, 01:43 PM
OCT. 16, 2008

HEY Amrinder...THANK YOU..:) I just figured that it's a good idea to learn how to do 3D flowers at this point, so I can put something in the 3D vases that I am learing how to do..plus flowers and plants always add to a setting, whether it be still lifes, landscapes with figures, or whatever...just some more elements that can add to the interest in any composition..:) ...and i'm also learning alot of things about Z BRUSH while doing these pieces, which is my main goal here..:)
Anyway, as ALWAYS...THANKS for the feedback, ALWAYS very much appreceated and welcomed...:)
TAKE CARE
Glenn

Z BRUSH

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/FLOWER_ARANGEMENT_3D_5.jpg