PDA

View Full Version : Joint Rotation Problem

roberte
12-10-2005, 12:59 PM
I am using Maya unlimited on a mac, os 10.3.9.

I am attempting to create a virtual book of a novel I have written to use as part of a package to send out to literary agents. The book will have turning pages. Being new to maya I am struggling to make the page turn effect work.

Key frame animation seems straight forward in the maya and other tutorials I have followed BUT, in spite of struggling for 3 days I cannot get it to work properly.

I have 2 problem areas:

1) I have created a skeleton and page (image 1) and smooth bound it (complete skeleton/closest joint/ max influences 3/drop off 2.3). the page is hinged side to side. I have centered the joint on the hinge, zeroed out all rotation, aligned the joints in every way possible, locked the X & Y axis, aligned the page to the grid (image 2) BUT, when I turn the page 180 or in increments of 90 degrees, or any other way I can think of, to open it it is skewed from the grid (image 3) and thus skewed in relation to the cover. Each time I rotate it the skew is slightly greater.

2) I am attempting to animate the page as if it is being lifted by the corner from flat open and curls back upon itself as it is opening to lay finally against the open cover. To do this I have tried setting a beginning key frame at one, going to the end position on the timeline and setting a full open page key. then I have gone back and set keys for each of the movements alone the time line. When I rewind the animation the cover closes on a partially open page instead of the beginning open page key. after the cover opens the page moves through part of the keyed actions but not completely. I have also tried setting a start frame and then each keyed action through to the complete open page, which is the end point but with no success.

I would greatly appreciate any input as to why these things are happening and how to correct them.

Robert

Craiger
12-13-2005, 09:41 PM
It sounds like you're trying to animate using rotation in World rotates. If you don't key all three rotates, (X,Y,Z) then you might run into problems. Use the Gimbal Option in the rotate tool. This will show you exactly what axis is doing what. You should only have to dey one axis at a time to get what you want.

Hope that helps.

werd up.

roberte
12-14-2005, 11:04 AM
Thank you for your reply.

Would that be a solution to #2 as well. After setting beginning and end keys (end key with a curled page as if open) if I rewind to 0 the page remains curled. Shouldn't it revert to flat as it was in the beginning keyframe?

When setting the key for the curled page I first rotate all joints into position and then select the root and set the key. Is this wrong?

robert

Craiger
12-14-2005, 02:44 PM
you have to set atleast 2 keys on the joints that are doing the rotating. Set your keys at rotates 0, then move the timeline to the desired time, and key the joints in the rotates to make them curled.

If you only set 1 keyframe of them curled, then thats all they know. You have to tell them to be flat, and curled.

werd up.

roberte
12-14-2005, 10:23 PM
so, lets say i start at 0, key it with the page flat, then move to 5 and move a joint, then key that. etc. are you saying that before i move the joint at 5 I should key it like it is BEFORE I move it? Havent I already done that at the position previous?

0= flat/key it...........5=flat, move joint/key it OR
0= flat/ key it..........5=flat/ key it, move joint/ key it

Just trying to understand the procedure. I'm sure once I do I will laugh at how long it took me because it's probably real simple.

Robert

M.E.L.
12-14-2005, 11:36 PM
Think of it like a race in which there are 'stage points'

the most significant being your Start and your End. Start will always represent 0 and the End will represent your final end result.

So at frame 0, you will key any joints that will be moving in the next pose as to make a Start position, moving 5 frames later and rotating all your joints into the pose then keying will provide you with the End :)

-s

roberte
12-15-2005, 08:33 AM
Shawn,

Thank you for you input. So, instead of keying each joint seperately after moving it I wold rotate all the joints to make the pose and then key it.

Do you find it more appropriate to rotate the joints seperately or to make a rig? or does it matter?

M.E.L.
12-15-2005, 08:39 AM
yeah, the easiest thing to do is get all your joints positioned into place where you want them for that pose on that key and then just do a mass select and key (you could do it the lazy way by just press S).

For this case it's easier to just rotate the joints into place and key...fiddle a bit with the pose you want at that given frame and then set the keys on all the affected joints.

-s

roberte
12-15-2005, 05:47 PM
well, it helps to know that. thank you Shawn.

Another issue.

After I have set joints I have found myself needing to delete certain keys. it has been frustrating as I cant seem to see all set keys at one time but have to go through the entire skeleton, joint by joint, each selected joint showing keys set for it alone. If I select all of them it's not clear if all keys, for all joints have been selected.

Have they?

Are there any other shortcuts or ways to find these things out that are more efficient?

Robert

Craiger
12-17-2005, 05:55 PM
when you select the root, you can expand the hirererchy in the graph editor to see all the keys on the other joints. Or put all the joints in a layer, then use the "select objects in layer" option from the layer editor. You could also use the Dope sheet, select the root, then in the dopesheet select Dopesheet summary. This will show you all the keyframes for the hirerarchy.

werd up.

roberte
12-18-2005, 09:03 AM
Craiger,

Thanks for your response.

I will check out your solution.

Robert

CGTalk Moderation
12-18-2005, 09:03 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.