PDA

View Full Version : Odd Radiosity Happenings

paulselhi
12-10-2005, 12:12 PM
Looking at MJV's tuts again http://www.mvpny.com/RadTutMV/RadiosityTut1MV.html

I took the scne file and changed the mim max to 5 50 and rendered at 5 bounces and got a render of 47 secs, i did not save the rad solution

I then pumped the diff bounces up to 20, got a better render at 37 secs

Why should i see a decrease in render times seeing as the bounces went up 4 X ?
This is using the latest c4d 9.52

Per-Anders
12-10-2005, 04:25 PM
mostly it depends on the adaptive sampling and the scene in question. what i mean by that is that the adaptive sampling is basically looking for when it no longer needs to do more samples, one of the ways that it does this is to see how much contrast difference there is between samples and when it's low enough, just carry on to the next point to sample. so potentially with more bounces you could end up with fewer samples in the right circumstances. sometimes gi can be weird like that.

paulselhi
12-10-2005, 05:15 PM
yes i guesed it was along the lines of more bounces getting "direct" information rather than the s/w having to extraploate and calculate dataHowever it works i love it i get better results with less render time !!!

CGTalk Moderation
12-10-2005, 05:15 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.