PDA

View Full Version : animating an aircraft with fluid dynamics

mnemonic
11-24-2002, 04:27 AM
Is it possible to use the fluid simulation tools in Maya to animate an aircraft realistically, with correct aerodynamic behavior?

Does anyone remember that interview with that person (yeah I don't remember much from it...) at cgchannel who animated an aircraft using expressions for somewhat realistic flight? Anyone have a link to that article or more info on how it was done?

gmask
11-24-2002, 04:56 AM
Originally posted by mnemonic
Is it possible to use the fluid simulation tools in Maya to animate an aircraft realistically, with correct aerodynamic behavior?

I think you may beable to show how air might flow over an object but I cannot see being able to fly the plane using fluids as being easy if possible.

BrandonD
11-25-2002, 08:02 AM
That would be a hell of a slow way to animate your plane.

Fenrir
12-11-2002, 05:54 PM
And in addition you'd have to get yourself a flying licence first :D

Skyraider3D
06-25-2004, 09:04 PM
I've studied aeronautical engineering, and my initial reaction was "forget it". To me it sounds waaaaay to complicated and will not give satisfactory results.
Instead, make sure you got the centre-point of your model right there where the centre of gravity on the real plane would be. Then animate along a spline (flight path) and add yaw/pitch/roll/etc. changes as you go along. Study a lot of video reference, or even better (and way more fun), visit airshows, and try to make it look right, rather than wasting tons of time on calculations that won't even get near reality, as computer dynamics and real-life aerodynamics are two totally different things.

Whoa, that was a bit of a long sentence :) I hope you got it all!

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 04:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.