PDA

View Full Version : Render Region Question

the reimbursor
12-09-2005, 11:04 PM
Does the RR have to draw the entire region before re-rendering or does it react as soon as you drag a slider or connect a node etc. even if it is in the middle of rendering?

Thanks

neutronic
12-09-2005, 11:23 PM
does it react as soon as... it is an ipr.

neo

Atyss
12-10-2005, 12:55 AM
That depends if you are in Auto-Refresh mode.

Cheers
Bernard

the reimbursor
12-10-2005, 01:36 AM
Auto Refresh is on. It completes a full region before re-rendering, even when it is just dragging one diffuse color slider.

francescaluce
12-10-2005, 01:47 AM
That depends if you are in Auto-Refresh mode.
no. 'while' you are rendering, if you update any parameter that
has a flag=1 in its spdl, renderregion will restart to render the
entire region automatically. there's no differences between auto
refresh on or off while you're rendering.

reimbursor.. strange this does not happens here. I don't know
of any setting actually you could use to enforce the proper
behaviour. :shrug:

ciao
francesca

visualboo
12-10-2005, 02:56 AM
Auto Refresh is on. It completes a full region before re-rendering, even when it is just dragging one diffuse color slider.
What are your system specs?

My laptop behaves like this but my workstation doesn't. I was under the assumtion that it was a lack of muscle in my lappy that makes it chug until the region is done. It drives me NUTS tho. I can't cancel, change a parameter or do anything at all when it's rendering. Tweak a setting... hope for the best style.

the reimbursor
12-10-2005, 08:35 AM
I've got a dual athlon mp 2000's with a gig of pc2100 and a radeon 9600xt with 256 MB. And my wife bought me a dvd burner and a 200 gig hard drive for my birthday. Just a side note.

Chris-TC
12-10-2005, 01:11 PM

What are you talking about? This behaviour is definitely not normal.
The whole purpose of using auto refresh is to very quickly get an idea of the results of paramater changes.

If I've got a render region open and I change a parameter while it's still rendering, it'll immediately cancel the current render and start to redraw the region.

Chris-TC
12-10-2005, 01:13 PM
It drives me NUTS tho. I can't cancel, change a parameter or do anything at all when it's rendering. Tweak a setting... hope for the best style.

You could hit Shift+Q twice to hide and unhide the render region. This also causes the region to redraw. Not as quick and comfortable as auto refresh but better than nothing..

visualboo
12-10-2005, 04:20 PM
No Chris you didn't fully understand me. On my laptop, it will render to the end of the region no matter what. I could throw my lappy off of a building and it would still be rendering when I got to the bottom to pick up the pieces. Every key on the keyboard does precisely nothing when that region is cranking, and the same for my mouse.

My regular workstation on the other hand works how i would expect it to. I can hide the render region if I want, tweak params or do whatever and it will refresh. If auto refresh is turned on that is.

What I was trying to say was that I didn't really understand why it was different between the two. I kind of assumed that because my workstation is a lot more powerfull, that might be why.

CGTalk Moderation
12-10-2005, 04:20 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.